• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Repentance ( Must a person forsake his sins before he can come to Christ? )

Active
Then why does every dispensationalist pastor teach that? Some of them are very knowledgeable and honorable men who dare to speak up on a lot of social issues which no other pastors bother to touch. And they used this ancient custome as an analogy to back it up, that groom would come by surprise and snatch his bride in the middle of the night, then they kind of eloped for a honeymoon, and everybody else was wondering where they'd gone? And who knows if there was really such a custome.
We all prophesy in part and know in part. Even His disciples that are fruitful are to expect more pruning to bear more fruit per John 15:1-2 We can never stop growing in the knowledge of the Lord until that day when we see Him face to face.
Doesn't sound like what Jesus described in the wedding feast and the ten virgin parables.
Yet the five that were foolish, knew they were left behind. What is also overlooked is that those ten virgins are the kingdom of heaven and so they miss out on the wedding supper but still part of the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 25:1-13

This is where the prodigal son gave up his inheritance for wild living and although he can never get it back, he will find that he is still son.

Jesus is warning saved believers to be ready as found abiding in Him or else; John 15:1-8 & Luke 12:40-49 and that includes being willing to leave this life and not love the treasures on earth to not want to leave without them Luke 17:26-37

Active
Ephesians 2.
Please look at v5

2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)

6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

V5
There are a lot of religions that talk about repentance. Repentance however without the Holy Spirit is dead works, and does not include Christ. In the two way process.
V5 Shows how a sinner becomes alive through Jesus. Through grace.
Otherwise, there is a form of godliness that denys the power. 2 Timothy 3:5
We are born again of the Spirit when we believe in Jesus Christ, thanks to the Father drawing us unto the Son to believe in Him to be saved.

It is because of salvation, we can live that life of repentance as we can only live that reconciled relationship with God thru Jesus Christ in us as we look to Him to help us lay aside every weight & sin daily in being fruitful as His disciples.

Active
Sorry the drawing is the new birth. Once God begins the drawing, He has given one new life, new heart, and causes them to come to Christ. They are drawn inwardly by the cords of Eternal Love Jer 31:3

3 The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

When we are given a new heart, that includes a new inward man, so its a new birth, then we have a spiritual attraction to the things of God, without such new birth and drawing, man is dead in sin and doesnt seek God.
I think of the drawing as labor pangs of child birth, but not the actual new birth but leading up to the new birth.

We are born again of the Spirit when we believe in Jesus Christ, thanks to the Father drawing us unto the Son to believe in Him to be saved.

It is because of salvation, we can live that life of repentance as we can only live that reconciled relationship with God thru Jesus Christ in us as we look to Him to help us lay aside every weight & sin daily in being fruitful as His disciples.

Active
Then why does every dispensationalist pastor teach that? Some of them are very knowledgeable and honorable men who dare to speak up on a lot of social issues which no other pastors bother to touch. And they used this ancient custome as an analogy to back it up, that groom would come by surprise and snatch his bride in the middle of the night, then they kind of eloped for a honeymoon, and everybody else was wondering where they'd gone? And who knows if there was really such a custome. Doesn't sound like what Jesus described in the wedding feast and the ten virgin parables.
Wish to add this reference for why the rapture will be a world event that will be seen by everyone of Him appearing as the Bridegroom for the abiding bride of Christ just as it will be the same when He comes as the King of kings as every one will see Him.

Revelation 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

lavenderF

There are a lot of religions that talk about repentance. Repentance however without the Holy Spirit is dead works, and does not include Christ. In the two way process.
V5 Shows how a sinner becomes alive through Jesus. Through grace.
Otherwise, there is a form of godliness that denys the power. 2 Timothy 3:5

I agree, flesh generated repentance from a dead sinner is death 2 Cor 7:10

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow/repentance of the world worketh death.

Godly sorrow and repentance finds its source from the sovereign mercy and grace of God, communicated by the Spirit.

Active
Wish to add this reference for why the rapture will be a world event that will be seen by everyone of Him appearing as the Bridegroom for the abiding bride of Christ just as it will be the same when He comes as the King of kings as every one will see Him.

Revelation 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
You know, this is really infuriating, and kind of ironic, that the manner of Christ’s first coming and the manner of his second coming are totally reversed in this kind of doctrine. He first came as the son of a carpenter, which was more likely to be a general craftsman, and yet everybody including his own disciples were expecting a glorious descending of the Messiah from the sky to establish his kingdom; now his second coming is prophesied very clearly to take place like that, but now we’re taught that he’ll return at any time SECRETLY to rapture the church! You know, “No one knows the day or the hour” was just a cultural reference of the Feast of the Trumpets, which was the first day of Tishri. Of course no one knows because that day depends on the sighting of a new moon in Holy Land, and the length of lunar cycle slightly varies every month, but God surely has this most important event marked on his schedule, it ain’t just gonna be at a random time.

lavenderF

Through the redeeming blood of Jesus, the person is brought near to God.

There is power in the blood of Jesus.

Absolutely. Eph 2:13

But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

The Blood of Christ will cause us, those He died for, to serve/worship the True God Heb 9:14

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Thats Power in the Blood of the God Man Jesus Christ !

I think of the drawing as labor pangs of child birth, but not the actual new birth but leading up to the new birth.

The Drawing is the New Birth, a New Life and Nature is being drawn Spiritually, now the person seeks God, thirsts for God, whereas, by nature, man doesnt seek after God

Active
If a person wants to be saved then they have to confess and repent of their sins to Jesus.
If you don't believe that then you don't believe the Word of God.

Isaiah 59:20 “The Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who repent of their sins,” declares the Lord.

John 5:14 Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.”

Luke 24:47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Matthew 11:21 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! If the miracles done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.

Matthew 12:41 The people of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, because they repented when Jonah preached to them—and now, something greater than Jonah is here!

Nineveh repented of their SINS.

Active

@GodB4Us I know ☺️I was just addressing the work of God and that we don't save ourselves. Although there is our response that I've written in other posts.
Maybe I shouldn't have put this post in here because it just confuses things. I think there is a harmony and we are all inclined to bypass the point, by overanalyzing the way this all works.
Sorry @Brightfame52 I value your posts but I do believe that God wants everyone to be saved but some do resist. As shown by the parable of the shower.
I'm at work so not writing a very good post.

Active
Matthew 3

3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

4 And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey.

5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,

6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

THAT IS JOHN THE BAPTIZER SPEAKING ABOUT THE END OF THE WORLD.

The end wrath hasn't come yet---BUT YOU GO AGAINST THE GOSPEL OF JESUS AND CLAIM WE DON'T HAVE TO REPENT OF OUR SINS TO GET SAVED.

To the Calvinists: the people coming didn't have the Holy Spirit yet because the Holy Spirit wasn't given yet.

To the faith alone believers: the people had to repent of their sins and not just believe.

To those who believe the ridiculous special enabling before they can come: the vipers were coming to get baptized, you want to believe they had a special enabling too?

Active
John 8:51 I tell you the solemn truth, if anyone obeys my teaching, he will never see death.

John 12:47 If anyone hears my words and does not obey them, I do not judge him. For I have not come to judge the world, but to save the world.48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

We have to hear and obey Jesus, it is how we receive him. It is how we eat of Jesus. On the day of judgment a person who does not have the Lord in them by obeying him will not have life and live.

Active
Jesus’ gospel starts out with John the baptizer preaching to repent of your sins.
The people came and confessed their sins.

Mark 1:1The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;

2As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

3The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

4John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. 5And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

Active
You know, this is really infuriating, and kind of ironic, that the manner of Christ’s first coming and the manner of his second coming are totally reversed in this kind of doctrine. He first came as the son of a carpenter, which was more likely to be a general craftsman, and yet everybody including his own disciples were expecting a glorious descending of the Messiah from the sky to establish his kingdom; now his second coming is prophesied very clearly to take place like that, but now we’re taught that he’ll return at any time SECRETLY to rapture the church! You know, “No one knows the day or the hour” was just a cultural reference of the Feast of the Trumpets, which was the first day of Tishri. Of course no one knows because that day depends on the sighting of a new moon in Holy Land, and the length of lunar cycle slightly varies every month, but God surely has this most important event marked on his schedule, it ain’t just gonna be at a random time.
"Secretly" as assumed by believers in error as far as the rapture of the church, is not inferring a secret rapture but this event will take place like a thief in the night for why saved believers are always to be ready. When the rapture happens, all eyes will see Him, because those saints not found ready and get left behind are going to know it for there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. They can't very well do that if the rapture happened in secret.

Active
The Drawing is the New Birth, a New Life and Nature is being drawn Spiritually, now the person seeks God, thirsts for God, whereas, by nature, man doesnt seek after God
But by thirsting in their seeking, they have not come to & believe in Jesus Christ for salvation yet which means they are heading towards the new birth. If they were born again of the Spirit, they would not be thirsting any more nor hungering any more but are Spirit-filled at their salvation moment and always remain Spirit-filled as a testimony that God has saved them even though after salvation, some if not many in these latter days are not abiding in Him to be fruitful as His disciples. They can be when they look to Jesus Christ, the author & finisher of our faith to help them lay aside every weight & sin daily Hebrews 12:1-2 in walking in the light in fellowship with the Father & the Son. 1 John 1:3-9

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Active
"Secretly" as assumed by believers in error as far as the rapture of the church, is not inferring a secret rapture but this event will take place like a thief in the night for why saved believers are always to be ready. When the rapture happens, all eyes will see Him, because those saints not found ready and get left behind are going to know it for there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. They can't very well do that if the rapture happened in secret.
Yeah, it just calls for a sense of urgency, especially at this dark time as a demonic spirit has swept across the entire world. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Even if the timing of his second coming were clearly stated, the Laodiceans still wouldn’t take it seriously, you know, like Lot’s son in laws who thought he was joking. That kind of normalcy bias was exactly what Jesus was talking about in the second half of the Olivet Discourse.

Active
Jesus Begins to Preach

Matthew 4:12When Jesus heard that John had been put in prison, he withdrew to Galilee. 13Leaving Nazareth, he went and lived in Capernaum, which was by the lake in the area of Zebulun and Naphtali— 14to fulfill what was said through the prophet Isaiah:

15“Land of Zebulun and land of Naphtali,
the Way of the Sea, beyond the Jordan,
Galilee of the Gentiles—
16the people living in darkness
have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of the shadow of death
a light has dawned.”

17From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”

Jesus Announces the Good News

Mark 1:14After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. 15“The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”

Even Jesus and his disciples were doing the same teaching of repent of your sins and be baptized.

John Testifies Again About Jesus

22After this, Jesus and his disciples went out into the Judean countryside, where he spent some time with them, and baptized. 23Now John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim, because there was plenty of water, and people were coming and being baptized. 24(This was before John was put in prison.)

So to those who say Jesus meant 'repent' means to change their mind about him and believe in him---that is not truth.
Jesus PREACHED REPENT and BAPTIZED people with the same baptism of REPENTANCE OF SINS.

Active
@GodB4Us I know ☺️I was just addressing the work of God and that we don't save ourselves. Although there is our response that I've written in other posts.
Maybe I shouldn't have put this post in here because it just confuses things. I think there is a harmony and we are all inclined to bypass the point, by overanalyzing the way this all works.
Sorry @Brightfame52 I value your posts but I do believe that God wants everyone to be saved but some do resist. As shown by the parable of the shower.
I'm at work so not writing a very good post.
In the parable of the Sower, the first one is when they heard the word but crows have eaten the seeds up hence they did not receive the word because of unbelief whereas the next two had received the seed, Christ, but were not fruitful as His disciples due to persecution or the cares of this life whereas the last did. So the 2nd & the 3rd are saved, but lost sight of Him in the midst of their storms in life whereas the last by the grace of God and His help for being rooted in His words, were enabled by Him to walk through this valley of death to fear no evil for they knew He was within them always.

Active
We still have to prepare our hearts for Jesus to live there, and we do that by CONFESSING AND REPENTING OF OUR SINS.

Jesus says repent for the kingdom is near.

The kingdom of God is near all of us but won't be in anyone who doesn't confess and repent of their sins first.

Luke 13:3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.
Matthew 4:17 From that time on Jesus began to preach, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near."
Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

The Father and Jesus live in the hearts of those who obey Jesus and confess and repent of their sins

John 14:23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

When the Father and Jesus live in your heart, that is when you receive the Holy Spirit.

Active
Yeah, it just calls for a sense of urgency, especially at this dark time as a demonic spirit has swept across the entire world. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Even if the timing of his second coming were clearly stated, the Laodiceans still wouldn’t take it seriously, you know, like Lot’s son in laws who thought he was joking. That kind of normalcy bias was exactly what Jesus was talking about in the second half of the Olivet Discourse.
Normalcy is what we see in these latter days now when saints are not on the run from the beast trying to kill them by the sword and by starvation because saints cannot buy & sell to survive during the great tribulation. And certainly when the world's armies are marching against Jerusalem, for when the King of kings comes, that certainly cannot be an event where that coming will be like a thief in the night at the end of the great tribulation.

So the time to be ready is now in these latter days where many are falling away from the faith because of seducing spirits & doctrines of devils in slain in the spirit phenomena, holy laughter movement, Pensacola Outpouring, Toronto's Blessings and even Ernest Angeley's Healing Crusade where he announces the "Holy Spirit" falling on already saved believers to cause them to fall backwards in a loss of self control for these supposed miracles to happen.

Those who seek tongues for private use as a sign of receiving the Holy Spirit at salvation or "again" apart from salvation, do testify of how some will fall backwards in order to get that tongues of confusion that comes with no interpretation which God is not the author of. 1 Timothy 4:1 & Isaiah 8:19

So do not go to any places where they claim the Spirit of Christ is here or there because He is in you since salvation at the calling of the gospel & the Bridegroom will come at the rapture event to judge His House first because of this apostasy.