• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

which bible

The Word of God is spirit and life. They operate on much higher levels than we can normally process. Because of that, any translation out there cannot completely reveal the true meaning of scripture. They are spiritual and must be revealed to us through the Holy Spirit. To try to learn without relying on the Spirit of God will at best result in a shallow meaning and at worst lead you to error. That is why the bible says the letter kills but the spirit brings life.

In short all earthly languages are unable to capture the depth of the Word of God
The FIRST translation to English I'd the Tyndale Bible - an astonishing achievement. It's hard going for readers of modern English, though.

Scholarship has improved since then, and language conventions and vocabulary have changed too.
The FIRST translation to English I'd the Tyndale Bible - an astonishing achievement. It's hard going for readers of modern English, though.

Scholarship has improved since then, and language conventions and vocabulary have changed too.

I know I’ve heard of the Tyndale bible before, but I don’t think I have the history of it all correct in my own mind. I’m gonna pray about this too and try to do some fresh research on this and see what I come up with. God bless you brother and thank you for correcting me!

You have to go back to the original Hebrew... But MORE than that, you have to go back to how that word was used in Hebrew at the time it was written by the people doing the writing!
Clearly the Jews of the time of Moses didn't consider 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' to apply to all forms of killing, but only to murder... the Jews continued to stone people to death for sins...
So OBVIOUSLY 'Thou shalt not murder' is the better translation and so the NIV gives the meaning most clearly of the Hebrew idiom.

Loyal
Hello my new friend. Welcome to our wonderful family of Brothers and Sisters that love Jesus, and have great fellowship here at "Talk Jesus". Personally, I use the "English Standard Version" of the Bible. It's very easy to understand God's Word, and has a "Study Version" that's very accurate and extremely helpful explaining tough passages.

Presently, I'm studying Hebrew. Therefore the Bible I'm using is the "HalleluYah Scriptures" which uses many Hebrew names for people and events from the older Paleo Hebrew.

I'm not a KJV only Teacher, and I use the KJV & ESV in my counseling and teachings.

May Yahshua Jesus lead you to the version of the Scriptures that makes it possible for Him to communicate His "Way, Truth, and Life.....Find the "Narrow gate, and the Narrow Road" and stay on it for the Kingdom of God.

Love You, Chopper
Did you know that in Ancient Hebrew there is a word used ( where God said to Moses " I Am who Am" ) as I that grammatically it is a singular plural noun . It can not be translated into English . But it would be like God saying " I's Am whom Am.

Hello! I use the NIV but 2011 or earlier versions because I find that the newer translations can be a bit more confusing. But I think any of the classic ones such as NKJV or KJV should be alright! There's more to the Bible than just the words on the page, but someone who is a child of God should be able to also understand the meaning and connections throughout the Scriptures.

Active
Ofcourse, I have my favorites but I reference all. After years I have found this to be true: though some like to criticize one over the other (because of some sticky point) all have the same congruent message and none differ, that is Jesus is Lord and Savior, died for our sins and offers Eternal life for all who believe in him.

Loyal
There's the NAS, KJ, NKJ and the older NIV. The 'best' Bible is the one that a person is willing to read in their own language.

Active
Hi Guys, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before; the App YouVersion. It's a Bible on your smartphone or tablet. It's got 20 - 30 translations so if a verse has you puzzled it's dead easy to look it up and see other translations' take on it. The default is KJV but you can download any or all of the others FOC. Best of all, no need to carry tracts of John's Gospel in case of a chance witness opportunity, no, just recommend the App for a full Bible, free reading plans on lots of different topics and a verse of the day + more. I love it!

Loyal
I have 7 hard bound Bibles with pages in them. KJV, RSV, NIV, MKJV, Amplified, and two NASB.

My computer has 18 translation (counting Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek)
I tend to mostly use the NASB. Probably KJV the second most, and others from time to time. I tend to stay away from the NIV.
Lately I have been staying from "interpretations" like "The Message" and "God's Word translation".
There is a Bible called the "Passion Bible". I don't even really count it as a Bible.

My cell phone has a NASB, and a KJV.

Loyal
@B-A-C -- quite a collection -- do you mean NKJV rather than MKJV? And a person can get Any translation via computer. Interesting collection.

That which I've found interesting is that there are both NAS And KJV onlyists.

And, yes, there Are 'interpretations / paraphrases' that are better to stay away from.

Loyal
do you mean NKJV rather than MKJV? And a person can get Any translation via computer. Interesting collection.

One says "New" King James, the other says "Modern" King James. But now you have me curious.. which one is really newer? :)

The Modern is copyrighted 1962. I will have to check the "New".

edit: It appears the New King James is copyright 1982.

The NASB has multiple copyright dates, with slight wording changes. They have tried to get closer to the original Hebrew/Greek.
The version I use has copyright 1995.

Loyal
I've never heard of the Modern King James Version. Got an idea that the Modern is newer than the NKJV.

I grew up with KJV -- the only Bible that I knew about. And at one of the many churches I'd gone to -- a pastor was sharing about the New KJV that he'd gotten. I thought he meant that he simply got a new Bible. So that was my introduction to the NKJV. It takes the thee's and thou's and replaces them with 'you' and 'your' , etc. simply up-dating the English -- there Are those who feel that That is horrible. That the King's English was good enough for Them and is good enough for Now.

The concept Seems to be that 'they' feel that the Holy Spirit authorized King James 1 to put the KJV together. So it Must be the best that can be gotten. The deal is that back Then, if the King didn't authorize the printing of a book, it could not Be printed.

And there Are those who love the Psalms in the old English --I happen to like Scripture in the more up-to-date English.

Same, I think God's word should make sense in most translations but I do prefer NIV just because of its widespread usage and acceptance. However, I've only come to accept it after making sure that the passages I read are accurate in accordance with other translations as well. Also, I prefer the older NIV versions rather than the new, simply because I feel that if the wording becomes too modern, it may take away from the past meanings.

Loyal
Yes, I've also heard many complaints regarding the NIV. Having grown up with KJV I guess I knew it well enough that the older NIV simply makes it more reader-friendly.

I'm not in any churches that recite the Lord's Prayer on any regular basis. And sometimes whatever passages are going to be read are printed out in the bulletin on the back. And there are pew Bibles.

In one of the churches -- the Scripture is on the overhead along with an outline of the sermon that can be filled in while he's preaching / teaching. He preaches from the ESV. The other pastor changed From KJV to NAS while going to seminary. I follow along in my NKJ easily enough.

The Scripture I Did memorize when lots younger were done from KJV. But the NKJ is close enough as is lots of the NIV.

I've found that my Bible has footnotes at the bottom of page that explain various passages that has been changed from 'what to what'. Honestly, I don't worry about it. I know it's all God's Word and the doctrines haven't been changed.

Many decades ago, my husband was led to Christ by Pastor who used the KJV. Ever since there after, he would read Only the KJV.

The main thing is -- read your Bible.

Active
I was invited to breakfast with other pastors, to a talk by one of the translators of the NIV. I was impressed by his sincerity, and the fact that many experts of language and antiquities, from all the main denominations, prayerfully set about the project. The fact that we were all given an NIV study Bible and a voucher for another book of choice, didn't sway me in the least.

Loyal
Sounds like someone was wanting you to hear a more positive explanation regarding that particular Study Bible. I happen to have one of the older NIV Study Bibles.

I have a very used NKJ Bible sitting here beside my computer. When I want to share a passage, I look it up from This Bible and share. I, also, sometimes check wording with a KJV Thompson Chain reference Bible that was my husband's -- that was his favorite Bible. And I have an NIV plain Bible by my bed for reading.

And there are those who love the older English useage. Feeling that it was 'good enough back then, so it's still good enough Now". Which is fine, also. Just as long as there is no judgementalism being shown to others who don't share those feelings. Years ago, my younger son pretty much was a KJV onlyist. In S.S. one morning -- the guy sitting next to him was using an older NIV and my son offered to share his Bible with him. My son's attitude was 'here is a Real Bible to read'.

If I'd been at that breakfast -- if it was for pastors and wives -- I'd probably have taken the voucher and gotten the other book as well. :)

Now -- if a group was encouraging the New NIV Bible -- That one isn't worth the paper it's printed on. :)