• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

When were you baptised?

When were you baptised?

• As a baby

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • As a teenager

Votes: 38 23.5%
  • As an adult

Votes: 48 29.6%
  • Both as a baby and later in life (teen or adult)...is that allowed?

Votes: 38 23.5%
  • I was never baptised

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters
Fully emersed baptism May 2005. It was several years after receiving Christ as my saviour. Only through learning the truth I understood the importance of being baptised after trusting Jesus for my salvation.

I was also baptised as a baby, I understood now that this does not mean anything, it is all man's tradition.

Last year our church held a baptism ceremony on the beach. It was wonderful to watch many get baptised in the ocean. Some people declared that they had been baptised before, but it was for wrong reasons and traditions.

So I encourage any of you who were baptised as a baby, or who got baptised with wrong motives or as traditions. There is no reason why you cannot be free from the doubt and just get baptised again for the right reason.

Calluna

I don't believe it is part of dedication as both service differ entirely.

The Anglican church, hold Baptism of babies and not dedication, the first
requires people to stand for the baby/child being Baptised,
that they promise to see that he/she will attend church, and be
brought up in the Christian faith, so do the parents have to promise
this also.

Now tell me, how can people who are not Christain do this? it's totally
impossible.
I am guilty of attending these services myself as they have been my
own grandchildren being Baptised, in COI which is Anglican also,
should I have refused to attend?
I'm not sure, although I disagreed, somehow they think they are
doing an act to God, and pleasing Him, by doing it.
The church makes out, it's good that they will use the church for
it at least gives them some sort of contact and awareness of God.

Again I disagree, it's only tradition, as my Mum forced me into having
3 out of 4 of mine Baptised as babies, and also was the big influence
over my own children then having theirs Baptised, the older generation
such as my Mum believe a child will not be blessed, I've even heard
her say it's unlucky, did you ever? not to have then done.

My argument against it is this, if a child dies, I know not nice to say
but it does happen, you mean to tell me that child is not going to go
to heaven because he/she wasn't Baptised?
if so I have 2 other Grandsons not going, God forbid it.

Ive not heard my Mum mention it's all about giving thanks to God
for their birth.
it's just something that has become the done thing from olden days,
and it's time it was changed, in the mainstream denominations.

The church also use the scripture 'suffer little children to come unto me'
when they print out the 'Christianing Programme' as thats what they
call it, well here anyway, it's a Christianing, which then fools people
into thinking now their child is Christian.

Oh that our Lord Jesus would open the eyes of these Ministers that
lay down these stumbling blocks for the people and see the harm
they are doing and not good at all.

Nowhere in the bible is this taught, to commanded to do with children.
But we are always taught to have a thankfull heart and give thanks
unto God for everything, that includes our babies.

no reason why you cannot be free from the doubt and just get baptised again for the right reason
calluna
well said, I agree.
I love your quote, really do, I pray I was all that tonight for Jesus
as I had to face my own gaints in the family, to defend my Uncle's will
I watch as God just calmed down the one who wanted to fight at me,
and being an alcoholic, with her angry words, He just turned around the whole situation to His glory.

I ended up giving a few words of testimony, Praise Jesus,
and invites to church, and offering to do picks for them.

it's great to see our God at work, absoluty awesome.

Derrial ty but guess what .... you inavertantly created a history lesson ROFL
The Church of England, or the Anglican Church in North America was created so one of the Henry's(i think it was the 8th) could get a devorce, they were Catholic at the time. He did something that was quite intriguing. Centries before King James compiled and translated to latin a number of documents that his grandfather collected from the middle east during the crusades. (drum roll please... lol). Thats the King James Version. Anyway those documents where the Hebrew Bible and personal accounts of Jesus' life. Henry viii adapted it as the official Bible of the Church of England.

The good thing of being a true Christian is that we all support each other that way ... NO QUESTIONS ASKED God bless you my brother >>> agape

P.S. my post on the Bible you may find interesting ... I believe thats in the Lounge forum

I have sat through that history lesson brother, but I enjoy history,
well now I do, especially when it's in regard to Christianity.

I've also heard some say that the KJ bible was only authorized so he King
Henry, could have a divorce. Here's your Drum roll now.......

but it's the true infallible word of God, so it doesn't matter for what
reason it was put forward, it was God who authorized it.

I was baptised as a baby, but I wanted to be baptised again after I got saved. It was ons of the most awesome days of my life !!

I was baptized as a baby and as an adult after I accepted Jesus. I beleive only adults should be baptized...I won't have my children baptized, lol.

My granfather bapitized pretty much all of us and also married most of us. That was such a wonderful blessing.

I was baptized as an infant in the Catholic church.

When I came to Jesus in 2004 I was baptized by immersion which I think is the most appropriate way since you have to willingly accept Jesus.

I was baptized as a baby and as an adult after I accepted Jesus. I beleive only adults should be baptized...I won't have my children baptized, lol.

I too agree with you Emily on this.
we have no instruction, command or otherwise from the Lord Jesus to Baptise infants, that is a ritual made by man himself.

And people foolishly follow along with it not knowing otherwise, as I did when having my children Christened, my Mum instigated it then, and I willingly followed not knowing it wasn't bibilcal, I thought it was something we had to do.
My last son was dedicated at home, which was giving thanks to God for his birth, which is more of a Thanksgiving to God, which I thought then, though I knew not the Lord, was far much better than the other 3 being Christened.

I was baptisted when I was an infant, but I didn't understand its purpose at that age. When I was baptisted in my late twenties, I understood this meaning. I was the first of many in this correctional facility, we had no baptismal bath, pool or river, all we had was a locker room soaking tank, I remember in 1988, as an inmate, I knew I was unworthy, I didn't feel any different, but today, I see the long process of sanctified in His Holy Blood. Lord Jesus, in Your Spirit I am cleansed. John 19:34
Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus' side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water.

My husband and his family are Catholics. We had each of our children christened in church, but I agree with you, babies do not need to christened or baptized. I mentioned this because it goes along with the next part: my mother-n-law's belief that children must be christened, otherwise they will not make it to heaven. **double head slap**

My oldest son and I were in a very bad car accident when he was only 5-6 months old. The accident itself was purely miraculous but is a detailed story; (briefly put) basically after a guy hit my Geo tracker it knocked us sidesways and then rolled; landing upside down - and we slide across the highway (far left lane all the way to the guard rail - far right side) during morning rush hour traffic. No other cars were involved!!! (God's hand for sure) My son's shoulder's came out of the straps his baby seat and was hanging by his legs. He was saved from being thrown because "something" (GOD) told me to place his blankets over his legs before putting on the car seatbelt earlier. I didn't know where we were on the highway but I knew there was a deep ravine on the right side of the highway and was fearful we were going over the edge so I just began to pray. When we came to a stop I began to yell for help and someone reached in and touched me -SCARED ME!!! I thougt it was GOD! :coocoo: Anyway...I handed my son to the person and squeezed my way out of the window. When I got out I saw we literally stopped 1 foot from the guardrail and the traffic was stopped in a complete line as if a wall was put up. (I get chills as I write this because I know for a fact this was God's handy work!) There were 7 cars of witnesses and they all helped. They took my son and was washing the blood off his cuts and were doing their best to keep me calm.

SOO -- this brings me (finally) to my original point: my mother-n-law, cried and said to my husband and I, "You HAVE TO GET HIM CHRISTENED! YOU CAN NOT PUT IT OFF ANY LONGER! HE ALMOST LOST HIS LIFE!!!" Honestly, I wanted to laugh at her...but knew this would not be respectful. I didn't even do the christian thing and tell her that God was there and he did protect us!! I was wiped...didn't think about it.

Young children and babies are innocent and God will bring them home...that is what I believe. They are too young to be held accountable for their actions until a certain age.

I too agree with you Emily on this.
we have no instruction, command or otherwise from the Lord Jesus to Baptise infants, that is a ritual made by man himself.

And people foolishly follow along with it not knowing otherwise, as I did when having my children Christened, my Mum instigated it then, and I willingly followed not knowing it wasn't bibilcal, I thought it was something we had to do.
My last son was dedicated at home, which was giving thanks to God for his birth, which is more of a Thanksgiving to God, which I thought then, though I knew not the Lord, was far much better than the other 3 being Christened.

I was baptised about a year ago, It was on the outside, so I could see the sky and it was in a swimming pool. It was everything I dreamed it would be and more. I changed many years before that moment so it was a true outward, symbolic celebration of an inward change that had already taken place. :love:

I have saw people in wheelchairs being Baptized and elderly, people who had a fear of water, it's never too late brother.

Baptized twice

I was baptized as an infant in the Lutheran church. My parents became born-again on October 22, 1969 through a Lutheran evangelist, Nels Pedersen. They, in turn, led me and my younger brother to the Lord in 1972.

In June (June 28, 2008 to be exact) about 1 hour after my father's memorial service, I was baptized (full immersion, thrice) by a dear Nigerian brother. I have to say that the experience and day are burned into my soul as a miraculous day and very joyous as we celebrated a saint's homecoming. Praise the Lord!

Hi again!
just wondering when you were/if you were baptised

thanks for sharing!!

I've been baptised twice and confirmed once. Sounds odd? Let me explain. I was never Baptised as a baby, but when my wife was carrying my daughter, out of gratitude I wanted to make myself "right with God" and get confirmed. However in order to do this, I first needed to take adult Baptism lessons. The church that offered this service was very friendly and took a very laid back approach. So much so, that by the time I was Baptised and then Confirmed by the Bishop of London, I felt little due to the fact that I hadn't taken the lessons seriously enough. It was only after I became a born-again Christian back in April, 2003 that I wanted to partake in Holy Communion, but of course I was full of doubts as to whether I was worthy of taking Communion. Having put my mind at ease, I then asked the Methodist minister what was involved in becoming a full practising Methodist, telling him that it was by God's decree that I should join his church. I toook instruction, and s special service was held Baptising me into the Methodist Church. It was a wonderful, warming ceremony, with all the little old ladies queuing up to give me a kiss after the service was over:embarasse I have remained there to this day, and when I go on holiday, the first thing I do is seek out a Methodist Church and partake in theor service. I asked God to guide me to a church of HIS because I hadn't a clue which one was right for me.

pjnewman
My Father too had a saint's celebration homecoming just over 2 years ago.
Isn't it great to be able to say that of them.

Frederick
I believe you were baptised into Christ's death and resurrection and not 'the church' brother. Hallelujah.