• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

tattoos??

There are so many reasons against tattoos its difficult to know where to start.

Satan's Visible Mark

God's law prohibits marking the body, and Satan tries to persuade people to break it:

Throughout the centuries, Satan-worshippers and other pagans have used marks on the body, especially on the forehead and hand, to identify themselves with their god or goddess or false teaching. Historians and symbology experts say that the tattooing of the body and face originally began as a form of initiation and sacred worship with the ancient Egyptians, who used hieroglyphic characters. (Texe Marrs, Mystery Mark of the New Age: Satan's Design For World Domination)
Pagan marks range from red circles to other occult symbols like the five-pointed star, all-seeing eye, dragon or serpent, yin/yang and swastika.
During the Apocalypse, the false prophet will require all to take the mark of the beast, the beast being the Satan-possessed Antichrist (see Revelation 13:16—18). This will have a spiritual meaning: the acceptance of Satan as lord. If you take the mark, you will suffer God's wrath and your soul will be damned forever (Revelation 14:9—11).

The mark of the beast may be an occult symbol, but most probably an implantable computer chip, which will be discussed later. It may also be a combination of the two.

God's Invisible Seal

God's servants, the Christians, are sealed by the Holy Spirit.

Now he which establisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts. (2 Cor. 1:21—22).
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. (Eph. 1:13—14)

During the Apocalypse, 144,000 young men will be sealed by God, and that seal will probably be invisible (Rev. 7:1—8, 9:4, 14:1—5).

Marks Everywhere

Objects are increasingly marked with numbers, bar codes, microchips. Pets and other animals are being tagged with microchips for identification. Even people are getting more and more accustomed to having marks on their body. One example is the trend among teenagers to mark their bodies with tattoos of occult symbols like dragons, satanic pentagrams, triangles, demons, etc. Young men and women proudly wear jewelry clipped into their ears, noses, eyebrows, lips. They may not know that implantable microchips of the same size are already produced, and used for computerized remote monitoring of their hosts.

Body marking and piercing became fashionable among young people as a result of their subtle conditioning by TV programs, fashion magazines, overwhelming advertising and their idols, that is rock and movie stars. This may lead a large part of the brainwashed population to accept the mark of the beast, when the time comes, without even knowing its true meaning and purpose.

well i personaly dont have anything against tatoos...
but i didnt know that the bible had scriptures about that...
wow...i didnt read it all yet....but i still will...
but so far what i read WOW!!!

god bless
kara

Leviticus 19:28

" 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

and also

1 corinthians 6:19

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own

Carmen

I think.....

Hi there....
well I think it's a personal thing. I just know when I stand before God and even now while God can see me I want to be pure. And in the Word stands(I don't exactly know where) that you're body is a temple and for me that means NO TATOO'S but like I said it's more of a question that you should ask your self.Well that is what I think anyway...

Well, I think tattoos are awesome, depending what they are. A lot of christians get tattoos these days, but they are mainly ones to do with God. One of the band members from Mumsdollar (Christian punk rock band) Has tattoos all over his arms and also his back (I think) But the one that stands out the most is the tattoo of Jesus he has on his upper arm. Quite amazing. My mom has a tattoo on her back, it's a cross with some swirly designs coming off them. Her friend also has J E S U S tattooed on his arm.
I still can't say for sure how good/bad it is to get them, but ones to do with the Lord looks great!

*Dal*
xox

Doesnt change the fact that it is wrong. Its like having a Pentagram with Jesus on it saying "God is great". Its a mockery and even more so when it is done with Christian connections. Alot of people are doing alot of things nowadays, the church is even being leniant towards New Age agenda's in some cases,allowing them to practice their stuff there too! It most certainly isnt right. Be mindful of what is going on and be mindful of what God specifically says, there is no changing what he said and there is no way of justifying this. Sorry but thats how I feel, even though I'd like one myself.

wheew... thank you Lord.

i was looking in the topic about tattoos but i can't reply because the two were both closed already. anyways, i'll post my reply here.

Leviticus 19:28 "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord."

First and foremost, if we look and consider the context so we can see the bigger picture and understand what the scripture is really talking about here, God is giving these commands to Israel forbidding them from participating in the practices their eyes use to the see or perhaps they’ve been practicing because of the culture they’ve adopted for living in Egypt for 400 years. Now that the Lord is moving them to Canaan, God is also warning them not to participate any of the pagan practices that the people there are doing. Therefore in contrast, the Lord is giving them commandments for them to obey and for them to be set apart. This makes sense why the Lord always reminds them “I am the Lord, I am the One who brought you out from the land of slavery… I am the Lord, keep my decrees and laws….”

Lev. 18:1

“1 The LORD said to Moses, 2 "Speak to the Israelites and say to them: 'I am the LORD your God. 3 You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. 4 You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the LORD your God. 5 Keep my decrees and laws, for the man who obeys them will live by them. I am the LORD.”

Now, talking about the “cuttings in the flesh FOR THE DEAD” and the “tattoo marks”, the context here (and it is wise for us to know the context so we'll not commit mistake in applying the verses and thus make wrong and dogmatic judgments) is that… the Lord is referring to the pagan practices wherein the tattoos (the designs) are marks of the dead and symbols of death, which is of course clear wickedness. During that time, in Egypt and Canaan, it was their practice that when they burry their dead, they cover the body with tattoos (of course, marks of death) and the people also put tattoos in their skin as respect, so as to remember the dead and being one with them—relatives, yah know... because they also think that those relatives who have gone ahead of them can help them prepare a place in the underworld. (You can search this topic even outside biblical sources, perhaps history and culture) Now, the Lord is simply telling them never to have such marks because what…? He is not God of the dead and therefore His people should never have such marks or anything relating to death and whatsoever symbolism, practices (paganism).

there's no other verse in the scripture that deals with tattoo except Lev 19.28. the context tell us what its all about so be careful using it as against all tattoos.

The issue of tattoo in the Christian realm should not be dogmatically judge. If I or any Christian has a tattoo and it is a symbol of death or clear mark of paganism, then you can rightfully point your finger at me or to any brother and charge us violating Lev19:28.

I myself have a tattoo in my left arm (you can be assured that it’s not a sign of death), but I’m not pressing this trying to justify myself… I am just clearly exhorting and explaining the context of what Lev. 19.28 is talking about.

Talking about piercing in the ear, there’s a biblical support to that (tunnels and body modifications, there’s none but contrary to such.)

Exodus 21:5-6

5 "But if the servant declares, 'I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,' 6 then his master must take him before the judges. [a] He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life

This is done after the sixth year of serving, and on the seventh year, if the servant intends to remain to his master’s lordship, then the master is to pierce his servant’s ear as a sign that it was his servants will to remain.

To sum up all of this, our bodies are indeed the temple of God and the dwelling place of His Spirit.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20: "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

And therefore we should take care of it, preserve it and set it apart for God’s holy purposes. The sins which people commit are all issues relating to the motives of the heart; adultery, theft, greed, lust, drunkenness, hate, bitterness, etc… including dark arts and paganism (lust for power and personal control over one’s self). So it is necessary to clarify the issue of tattoo and piercing in regard to the intentions and motives of the heart. Like the testimony we’ve read, “I suddenly had become more cool in their eyes. I felt like they liked me more, only after they had found out that I was the type of person who would have a body piercing or tattoo.” Is that the reason why you should get a tattoo? So other people would think your cool?

Now, for any Christian thinking about getting a tattoo or ear piercing, it’s required that you should seek God and check your heart first, and ask yourself what’s your motive. And if you can’t have peace with it, better not get a tac or piercing.

Now, as a Christian, if my tattoo offends or perhaps become a stumbling block to a brother or a sister, then I am and I should hide it to protect my fellow believer. But none the less, like Paul said, “…For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?” (1Cor10.29) (there's no connection about tattoos in 1Cor10.29, but i'm quoting it not to apply its context but the sense of his statement.)

God bless everyone and I hope this article contributes something or perhaps clarify some issues. Keep Christ Jesus the center of everything. Let His peace that transcends beyond all understanding guide you in whatever decisions you’ll make. As always, FOR THE GREATER GLORY OF THE KING! SHALOM SHALAM!

Last edited:
If you ask me, being christian or believing in god is not somthing that u show everyone..
You don't get a tatoo and say "oh look at me I believe in God"
God loves you just the way he made you.
You don't need a tattoo to believe in god.
If god wanted wanted believers to wear tatoos, we would know about it.
All i'm trying to say is, all the people that think geting a cross or jesus tatooed on your body does not make you a christian or make god love you more.
He loves us all the same!

God bless you all!

Thank you Spitnot for such a well laid out explaination. I could easily go into my personal feelings on this and may following the further reading I am about to do.

God Bless.

I dont have the power to read all of it.. but as someone who has been raised a little bit on the old testament and jewish values in school.. I can say that in the old testement dont remember where.. the hebrew word for tatoos was mentioned.. and it was forbidden to the israelites to have any tattoos

leviticus 19, 28. 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was wondering about getting involved in this thread, as i have strong views here but i respect all views on this touchy subject.

I personally love tattoos, i always have, some people can look at them in a very negative way, but tattoos can be beauty-full ,a work of art and i know so many devoted christians who have pieces of work done on their body giving praise, promoting Gods word etc.

I had a converstaion once with a friend who had ''Christ Died For Your Sins '' tattooed on his arm, he told me a wonderful story how a woman who would come into his shop on a weekly basis, once stopped and asked him about his tattoo, he got told her his reasons and how it was a daily reminder to him how much his King suffered for him, the end of the story was this woman gave her life to christ.

I myself had a cross done, with scripture around it, this is often my conversation opener when people ask me about my tattoo and its meaning i often get the chance to tell them about how Christ changed my life and how He has saved me.

i prayed and mediated hard before i had my tattoo done, it was not a fast descion, it is my daily reminder, i have often found myself doubting or feeling alone, once glance at my tattoo and it is a fast reminder of just how much Jesus has transformed my life, and the love i have for him.

God Bless and Much love xoxoxoxoxoxox

What a great story. We forget with the changing times comes changing minds. The things that used to work in reaching others may not always work now because new barriers have been put up; so we have to shift gears a little. I am not saying that means everyone needs to get tattoos or do the same as the person needing saving does just to reach them though. It just seems that you never know what a person is really going through or what they may relate to. Keeping an open mind and open heart makes a big difference in giving AND receiving. (Just my opinion)

i was wondering about getting involved in this thread, as i have strong views here but i respect all views on this touchy subject.

I personally love tattoos, i always have, some people can look at them in a very negative way, but tattoos can be beauty-full ,a work of art and i know so many devoted christians who have pieces of work done on their body giving praise, promoting Gods word etc.

I had a converstaion once with a friend who had ''Christ Died For Your Sins '' tattooed on his arm, he told me a wonderful story how a woman who would come into his shop on a weekly basis, once stopped and asked him about his tattoo, he got told her his reasons and how it was a daily reminder to him how much his King suffered for him, the end of the story was this woman gave her life to christ.

I myself had a cross done, with scripture around it, this is often my conversation opener when people ask me about my tattoo and its meaning i often get the chance to tell them about how Christ changed my life and how He has saved me.

i prayed and mediated hard before i had my tattoo done, it was not a fast descion, it is my daily reminder, i have often found myself doubting or feeling alone, once glance at my tattoo and it is a fast reminder of just how much Jesus has transformed my life, and the love i have for him.

God Bless and Much love xoxoxoxoxoxox

You know, it's a shame.
People need a tottoo now to think about the lord..
It's pretty bad when you need a tattoo to remind you of what jesus did for us.
This really upsets me.
Jesus would rather see you remember him in your heart not from a tattoo.

God bless you all!

Leviticus 19:28 "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord."

Reading this post about tattoo's.

Jezebel came to mind. The bible records that she was a good painter. She painted her face. 2 Kings 9 v 30

The dogs are her......2 Kings 9 v 36

What does that tell me? It tells me that such activity does not save us, does not bring Salvation to us.

Watching Christian T.V. tonight I see a brother named Tod Bentley preaching in Florida. He is covered with tattoo's, applied before he knew Jesus. Wonderful things appear to be taking place as he preaches, and ministers.

Tattoo's are of the world, and not of God. But do not despair God can use all who come to Him, in sincerity.

And the painting past can be forgotten in the privileged future.......... in Jesus

God looks at the inward part of man not

Not having tattoos was under the law. And we are no longer bound by the law that being dead wherein we were held that we should serve in newness of the spirit and NOT the oldness of the letter. Paul said I became all things to all people that I might save some. You will gewt a tattoo on your body according to whats in your heart, If its for a witness then I say AMEN!!! If its skulls and reapers well your in the wrong spirit

Hey i've been following this thread for a while and it's been really interesting reading people's different opinions. I have no strong opinion about tatoos. I don't want one but I don't know what to think about it biblically.

I guess one question I would ask (just to provoke some thought) is why do we get so fussed about tatoos when similarly the old testament talks against piercing your ears (Lev 19:28, Deut 14:1, Gen 35:2-4, Ex 32:2-3, Isaiah 3:18-23). Remember that we are also hold not to grow beards (Lev 19:27) and not to eat certain foods etc. I am determined to be obedient to God don't get me wrong, but if we use this old testament scripture to condemn tatoos we have to think very hard about what that means for many other things that the torah proclaims and yet we comfortably choose to ignore. We need to be consistent.

mounty that is an amazing story. about the woman coming to christ. Jesus explained that the sabbath was made for man and not man for the sabbath. Is it possible (and shout me down if im being a heretic!) that the same is true for tatoos? If we glorify God through a tatoo and someone comes to faith in Jesus Christ and is SAVED, I am rather cautious to condemn that person for having a tatoo... In fact praise god another soul claimed for the kingdom.

umm... just one thing, God says that it is the things on the INSIDE that make us unclean. I think it is more important to ensure that we purify our hearts. Because sin is a heart condition and not a skin condition.

Love Jack

thats right brother

Paul said if you want to follow the law your a debtor to follow the whole law. Just don't take out bits and pieces follow the whole thing. Which of course puts an end and makes a mockery of what Christ died on the cross for. Wht can't we just love Jesus by keeping his law of love then we wouldn't dispute over triffling little things. What about more important things lieke the judgmental stare you give a brother when he;s tattooed or the unchrist like snear we give to goth kids. Thats what will send so called christians to hell. Jesus said to the religious people of His day that tax collectors and ****** would enter the kingdom before they did WOW!!!