• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Rice Expert Needed!!!

Staff Member
OH Sorry I thought you were getting married...LOL
I usually do 3 cups of rice for my family...3 cups rice to 31/2 cups water a pinch of salt, then I like to add about a tablespoon of butter or coconut oil..Keeps it from sticking to the pan or to itself....and makes it a bit tastier...Let it come to a boil then move it off the burner keeping the lid on for 45 mins to an hour.....I've done it this way for almost forty years...Love it! (Love meaning I like it a lot)

Thanks @Bendito

I've conquered the boiled rice problem....it's the egg fried rice that's causing some difficulties.
So any further experience you can offer will be gratefully received ☺

Loyal
Thanks @Bendito

I've conquered the boiled rice problem....it's the egg fried rice that's causing some difficulties.
So any further experience you can offer will be gratefully received ☺

I love cooking I make a wicked spicy chicken stir fry....uh should I say wicked? LOL
When I do egg fried rice I fry the eggs separately and chop them before adding them to the rice..You probably do that, so what problem are you having?

Staff Member
Greetings @Bendito

I will have to try cooking the egg first.
I hadn't thought of that
I just added raw egg to the rice but it just didn't cook well....ended up a rather slimy mess.

Thanks for the help:)

Loyal
Greetings @Bendito

I will have to try cooking the egg first.
I hadn't thought of that
I just added raw egg to the rice but it just didn't cook well....ended up a rather slimy mess.

Thanks for the help:)

LOL I might have tried that myself but I had the good fortune to see a Chinee cook making my fried rice in a cafe many many years ago..It stuck in my head so I knew what to do when I tried it the first time....Just drop an egg in the pan, break the yolk and go for it.

My Mommy always told me, "I never use a cookbook...A cook with no imagination is no cook at all" Just use your wonderful imagination and you'll do fine...Really

Loyal
LOL I might have tried that myself but I had the good fortune to see a Chinee cook making my fried rice in a cafe many many years ago..It stuck in my head so I knew what to do when I tried it the first time....Just drop an egg in the pan, break the yolk and go for it.

My Mommy always told me, "I never use a cookbook...A cook with no imagination is no cook at all" Just use your wonderful imagination and you'll do fine...Really

Try it this way...
  1. In a small bowl beat the eggs with water.
  2. Melt the butter in a large skillet or a wok over medium heat or until sizzling.
  3. Add in eggs and leave flat for about 2 minutes or until cooked through; remove to a plate then chop.
  4. Heat oil in the same skillet; add in onion and saute until softened (about 3-4 minutes, adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking time).
  5. Add in cold cooked rice, soy sauce, sesame oil and black pepper; stir-fry tossing continuously for about 5 minutes (adding in more soy sauce and black pepper if needed to suit taste).
  6. Stir in the egg and green onion.

I know this post was made many years ago but wanted to include this recipe I worked out, I have always loved rice so years of practice has given me a few good methods. I prefer this one!
I love cooking rice, I used to be TERRIBLE however I have very much improved!

Ingredients:

-2 cloves of garlic
-1/2 onion
-1/4 tomato
-1/4 pepper, can be green or red.
-apple vinegar ( Optional)
-fine salt
-Oil
1.5 cups water
1 cup of rice (any type of rice you enjoy except sushi rice)

Method:
1. Dice all ingredients, ensure garlic is separate. Wash rice 3 times, no more. This will remove some starch and avoid them clumping!
2. Place chopped garlic into a pan , a small amount of salt and 1tbsp oil. Turn the stove on, I always use a low heat. Stir for a 30 seconds and add onions.
3.. Stir and once onions start to soften add 1tbsp of apple cider vinegar along with 1.5 cups of water
4. After 1 minute add vegetables ( tomato and pepper) and stir for 1 more minute. Place lid on top of pan and wait for the water the boil.
5. once boiling add the rice, stir briefly and cover with lid. Check every 5 minutes, stir rice very briefly
6. Once the water level is very low, approx 1-2 millimeters from ending turn the stove off, KEEP THE LID ON. Wait 5-10 minutes for the steam to further cook the rice.
7. Perfect rice :)

I use this dish often! when I can't use the vegetables I add 1 more garlic clove and no other vegetable, garlic rice goes very well with Strogonoff and curry dishes.
It took me a few tries to perfect this and it depends on the size of pan, I use a small 15cm pan with a lid, It is a trial and error. I use a specific glass, they hold approx 250 mls of water and t feeds 2 portions of rice.
If their is left over rice, it makes a perfect fried rice dish along with the extra ingredients :)
Also if you want carrot rice, basically it is rice but orange so it gives a warmth to the dish, add 1/2 diced carrot at the same time you add the tomatoes and peppers, avoid using the vinegar and do not stir, if you lift the lid on the pan too much the color will go away, the steaming process is vital.
(Also washing the rice is completely your choice their are pros and cons, I prefer it because I do not trust the factory cleaning process and would rather not consume anything that could be dirty, I wash my fruits, beans, meats and veggies so I wash the rice, briefly but 3 times.)

Active
Is anyone here an expert at cooking rice?

I can never seem to get it right
I follow the instructions, I wash the rice first, I put the right amounts of water to rice etc
But to no avail....it is usually a gloopy mess
:embarasse

Does anyone have any good tips?
Ya want plain white?? If so

Rinse the rice.. one cup rice n two of water some salt n i use a tad bit of oil let it boil off most of the water then Lower the heat cover n let it cook for about 15 n stir.. n then I usually check like every 10 mins on it.. depends like what grain n brown rice takes longer..

If by chance ya rice dries out before it's done ya can a little water in the rice not much tho n put the lid back on to cook

Member to lower the fire cause if not y'all burn it idk how many times I forgot to lower it before I walked away lol

If ya want a yellow rice recipe let me know but idk if ya have the ingredients where ya r at tho cause I only know one way to make yellow lol

Hope all's well wit ya

Twistie :broken_heart: