• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Gehenna Hell - The punishment of the wicked knows no end!

Active
I'm not wrong. If you study interpretation and church history, you can easily see how this happens. Modern Christianity is an echo chamber. People just read each other's works and parrot the same thing. Well, when everyone believes the same thing, what would we expect all of the translations and commentaries to say? I mean, you often can't even get on a translation board if you don't believe the Trinity. So, If all of the translators believe in the Trintiy do you suppose they would put out a translation opposing the Trinity? Of course not. So, all of their translations use the pronoun "he" when translating passages about the holy Spirit. However, in the Greek text the pronoun is "it" not 'he". They do this because they all think the Holy Spirit is a third person. However, as I said, in the Greek text the pronoun is "it" not "he". This is translator bias. It affects every single translation. It's unavoidable. Everyone who translates has an existing belief system which they filter their translation through. It's unavoidable. Look at how many believe Christians go to Heaven when they die, and yet there is not even "one" single passage to suggest such a thing. In fact we have the exact opposite stated by none other than Jessus Himself.

33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Jn 13:33.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Mt 5:5.

And, as I've pointed out, Paul, in 1 Cor. 15 speaking of dead Christians, said if there is no resurrection they had "already" perished. How could Paul say such a thing if they were alive in Heaven? He couldn't. And yet here we have millions, if not billions of Christians believing they go to Heaven when they die. Now, there are a lot more Christians than theologians. So, if millions or billions can be wrong about what the Bible says, why would we think that fewer theologians couldn't be wrong?

My friend, I can't emphasize enough how much Christians should study church history and textual criticism. One doesn't need to spend an inordinate amount of time looking at textual criticism to see that translators face all kinds of difficulties and issues when translating. It's not a matter of translating a word for a word. Often there are several different readings of a passage, called variants. Which one is correct? No one knows. the translators have to look at all of the passages and make an educated guess. Often a passage can be translated in more than one way. Often there are passages that are ambiguous, they could mean this, or they could mean that. Again, it's up to the translator's discretion how he translates it. When he does this he is entering his bias into the translation. You're getting what he "thinks" the writer is saying. Now consider that all of the writers believe the same thing and is it any wonder all of the translations end up looking the same?

Here is a brief overview of textual criticism. Daniel Wallace is one of the foremost Greek scholars today. Notice, he says, 'you're not even getting the tip of the iceberg. If the tip of the iceberg had a tip that's what you're getting'. That's how deep and complicated the issue of translation is. There are many variables to deal with.

Here's an interview with a translator.

It does not matter what a random person called 'Daniel Wallace' had to say. The fact that you are not accepting is that 'every' translation says eternal and 'none' point to annihilationism.

Do you not think God would be involved in the translations?

Active
It does not matter what a random person called 'Daniel Wallace' had to say. The fact that you are not accepting is that 'every' translation says eternal and 'none' point to annihilationism.

Do you not think God would be involved in the translations?
He's not a random person. He's one of the foremost scholars on textual criticism today. Since we're discussing modern translations his words are pertinent to the discussion.

But again, we can't just dismiss someone because they say something we don't like. Either translators have authority or they don't. If you're going to claim he's wrong please explain why. To simply dismiss him because you don't like what he says is fallacious.

Do I think God is involved in translations? Let me ask you, if He is, why don't all of the translations read the same? Is He leading some Christians into truth and others into error?

I have a question I've been meaning to ask you. This is the perfect place for that. You asked do I believe God is involved in translations? I do believe He was involved in some translations, yes. Here's the question I'd like to ask you and really would appreciate an answer. Why don't we and you use the same Bible that Jesus and the apostles used?

I would think Jesus and the apostles knew what the real Scriotures are. So, why do we use a different Bible than they used? Please, don't side step this question. It really goes to the heart of this issue about God and translations.

Active
yes, it does. That doesn't mean they are two separate things. I gave you the words of Gen 2:7.
I gave you the words of Jesus who said there is BOTH a body and a soul.
God formed man from the dust of the earth. That is the body. That body became a living soul.
Right, but that does mean the body is the same as the soul.
Let me give you more proof of this here in…

1 Kings 17:21-22

King James Version

21 And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the Lord, and said, O Lord my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again.
22 And the Lord heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.”

Notice the child’s living soul entered back into the child’s dead physical body, proving the living soul exited the physical body upon the physical death of the body.

This confirms what Jesus said about there being both a body and a soul. It can’t be any clearer than that.
Regarding the definition of death, we don't have to use man's definition, we have God's. God told Adam if he ate from the tree of knowledge he would die. Here's what happened when he did.

And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; 18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; 19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Ge 3:17–19.
Most people think of death as physical, but there is also a spiritual death. In the Genesis account God told Adam that in the day he ate from the tree of knowledge that he would surely die. But the day Adam sinned against Gods command, he did not physically die, so what death was God talking about?

God was talking about the spiritual death that takes place when we sin. Being separated from Gods presence is also a part of this spiritual death. We see this in Adam, and also in Cain, who after killing his brother was cast out of Gods presence, and marked.

God said in Isaiah 59:2

2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.​

Paul said in Col 2:13 and Ephesians 2:1that we were dead in our sins. It is written in Ezekiel 18:20 that the soul that sins it shall die. Paul also said in 1Tim.5:6 that the woman who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives.

So to God you are dead spiritually while you are yet alive in the body because of sin. Just as Jesus said in Matthew 8:23 to let the dead bury their dead.

It is also written that to be carnally minded is death. So the issue of sin must be dealt with so that we can be reconciled back to the presence of God. God said in Ezekiel 18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

We know we cannot make ourselves a new heart and a new spirit, but God can. Which is why God sent His Son Jesus Christ to reconcile us back to God through His sacrifice on the cross. And through Christ we have the forgiveness of past sins, and we are also empowered by Him to overcome future sin by spiritual rebirth.

When this spiritual rebirth happens we pass from Death unto Life.

Jesus said in John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”

When we get victory over the mark of sin by Faith in Jesus Christ, we also get victory over the name, which is Death.

Active
I would think Jesus and the apostles knew what the real Scriotures are. So, why do we use a different Bible than they used? Please, don't side step this question. It really goes to the heart of this issue about God and translations.

How does it go to the heart of the issue?

Create a thread on translations and make your point there. I will reply there instead of hijacking this thread.

Translations have been discussed here before. There is a lot to talk about.

Active
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, Gen. 3:19, both man's and God's definition.
Yes the corruptible physical body returns to the earth, but not the soul/spirit.

2 Corinthians 5:6-8​

King James Version​

6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight)
8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Active
Yes the corruptible physical body returns to the earth, but not the soul/spirit.
No, brother, I’m afraid you’ve got those two mixed up. A soul is an ACTIVATED body, you’re alive, you’re a soul; you’re dead, you’re a body, simple as that. Our physical body is NOT a prison of the soul, that’s a gnostic view, which most people in the west believe, but that’s not biblical. Spirit on the other hand is the third component from God who breathed into us, and that’s what really with the Lord.

Active
No, brother, I’m afraid you’ve got those two mixed up. A soul is an ACTIVATED body, you’re alive, you’re a soul; you’re dead, you’re a body, simple as that. Our physical body is NOT a prison of the soul, that’s a gnostic view, which most people in the west believe, but that’s not biblical. Spirit on the other hand is the third component from God who breathed into us, and that’s what really with the Lord.
It truly amazes me how many so called Christians reject the words of Jesus Christ.

Matthew 10:28
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Notice Jesus said the physical body can be killed by man but not the soul. If the soul were the physical body then man could kill the soul.

But Jesus plainly says man cannot kill the soul, only the physical body. This proves without a doubt the body is not the same as the soul.

I rest my case. Peace

Loyal
So how can those souls in hell see and speak if they know nothing at all?
Isaiah 14:4-23 is not about dead men in Sheol, but rather about the fall of satan and the angels that trespassed and were cast down into Tartarus
See also Ezekiel 28:11-19 and 2Peter 2:4 and Jude 1:6
Angelic beings are still conscious and operate in the world doing evil and opposing the purpose of God.
Ephesians 6:12 For our wrestling is not against blood and flesh, but against the principalities, against the authorities, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the spirituals of the wickedness in the heavenlies.

Loyal
Very interesting. Here is well known NT Bible scholar Bart Ehramns take on heaven, resurrection etc .
A somewhat controversial academic opinion - which I believe to be quite wrong - Paul bashing seems to be popular in today's "modern scholarship"

"And so he came up with the idea that he would have a temporary residence up with Christ in God's realm, in heaven, until the end came."
Those who write the scriptures under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit do not come up with their own ideas - for scripture is the Word of God and is truth.
Neither Paul or the NT teach the doctrine of those who sleep (die) would have a temporary residence in Heaven with Christ.

"And as time went on, that became the emphasis rather than the idea of the resurrection with the dead." - not how I read Paul.
1Corinthians 15:
16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised.
21 For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead.
29 Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf?
32 What do I gain if, humanly speaking, I fought with beasts at Ephesus? If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.”
35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they come?”
42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable.
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

Loyal
1Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s kingdom; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
51 Lo, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for a trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and WE shall be changed.
:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54 But when this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying written, Death is swallowed up unto victory.
55 O death, where is thy victory? O death, where thy sting?
56 Now the sting of death is sin; and the power of sin is the law:
57 but thanks be to God, who giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not vain in the Lord.

Active
Isaiah 14:4-23 is not about dead men in Sheol, but rather about the fall of satan and the angels that trespassed and were cast down into Tartarus
See also Ezekiel 28:11-19 and 2Peter 2:4 and Jude 1:6
Angelic beings are still conscious and operate in the world doing evil and opposing the purpose of God.
Ephesians 6:12 For our wrestling is not against blood and flesh, but against the principalities, against the authorities, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the spirituals of the wickedness in the heavenlies.
In Isaiah 14 God is talking about men, namely the King of Babylon, and also the Kings of the nations; as they now reign in hell.

Isaiah 14:4-20

King James Version

4 That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased!
5 The Lord hath broken the staff of the wicked, and the sceptre of the rulers.
6 He who smote the people in wrath with a continual stroke, he that ruled the nations in anger, is persecuted, and none hindereth.
7 The whole earth is at rest, and is quiet: they break forth into singing.
8 Yea, the fir trees rejoice at thee, and the cedars of Lebanon, saying, Since thou art laid down, no feller is come up against us.
9 Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.
10 All they shall speak and say unto thee, Art thou also become weak as we? art thou become like unto us?
11 Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee.
12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;
17 That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?
18 All the kings of the nations, even all of them, lie in glory, every one in his own house.
19 But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet.
20 Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, and slain thy people: the seed of evildoers shall never be renowned.”

The reason God refers to the king of Babylon as Lucifer, and the Pharoah of Egypt as the dragon in the sea, and the Prince of Tyrus as the covering cherub is because all these kings had the same SPIRIT working in them. And that SPIRIT is of their father the Devil, aka Satan, aka the Old Serpent, aka Leviathan aka the Red Dragon.

By one SPIRIT they also are all enjoined into one Body.

Active
Notice Jesus said the physical body can be killed by man but not the soul. If the soul were the physical body then man could kill the soul.

But Jesus plainly says man cannot kill the soul, only the physical body. This proves without a doubt the body is not the same as the soul.
Was Yeshua contradicting Gen 3:19? This verse does say “both body and soul,” right? Since the body goes back to dust, why is it in hell? And since the body is destroyed, how can it still be burning in hell? That doesn’t make any sense. Obvious there’s more than face value, which you don’t get. What Yeshua taught in there is eternal life for believers, you can be killed in this life, but not the next. However, if you don’t believe and go down in hell, then there won’t be a resurrection, and you’ll have neither body nor soul, because this earthly body is all you have, once it’s back to dust, it’s gone. Look at Yeshua himself, his body was beaten and destroyed, but not his soul because God brought him back to life on the third day!

Active
It truly amazes me how many so called Christians reject the words of Jesus Christ.

Matthew 10:28
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

I rest my case. Peace
And by the way, hell/gehenna is NOT the Lake of Fire in Rev. 20, nor Dante’s inferno, where most people got their impression of hell from. It was a real place where dead bodies were being burned, and that was what Yeshua was referring to. Only for the unbelievers are their souls being destroyed along with the bodies because they have no resurrection.

Active
Was Yeshua contradicting Gen 3:19? This verse does say “both body and soul,” right? Since the body goes back to dust, why is it in hell? And since the body is destroyed, how can it still be burning in hell? That doesn’t make any sense. Obvious there’s more than face value, which you don’t get. What Yeshua taught in there is eternal life for believers, you can be killed in this life, but not the next. However, if you don’t believe and go down in hell, then there won’t be a resurrection, and you’ll have neither body nor soul, because this earthly body is all you have, once it’s back to dust, it’s gone. Look at Yeshua himself, his body was beaten and destroyed, but not his soul because God brought him back to life on the third day!
No contradiction, the grave and hell are described as the place of the dead, both physically and spiritually.

That is why Jesus spoke of some being “dead” while they were yet still alive in the body. Jesus also called some “the children of hell,” even though they were still physically alive in the body.

Jesus said those who live and believe in Him shall never die. Jesus also said the Kingdom of God dwells within His elect saints. And Jesus also said that God is a God of the living, not of the dead.

So even while on earth the saints belong to the Kingdom of Heaven. This is why I believe the souls of the saints go to heaven, because they are numbered among the “living” and not the “dead”.

This is why Paul said if he were absent from his body, he would then be present with the Lord. I believe the same. Peace

Active
And by the way, hell/gehenna is NOT the Lake of Fire in Rev. 20, nor Dante’s inferno, where most people got their impression of hell from. It was a real place where dead bodies were being burned, and that was what Yeshua was referring to. Only for the unbelievers are their souls being destroyed along with the bodies because they have no resurrection.
Death and hell are cast into the lake of fire….

Revelation 20:14
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Active
No contradiction, the grave and hell are described as the place of the dead, both physically and spiritually.

That is why Jesus spoke of some being “dead” while they were yet still alive in the body. Jesus also called some “the children of hell,” even though they were still physically alive in the body.

Jesus said those who live and believe in Him shall never die. Jesus also said the Kingdom of God dwells within His elect saints. And Jesus also said that God is a God of the living, not of the dead.

So even while on earth the saints belong to the Kingdom of Heaven. This is why I believe the souls of the saints go to heaven, because they are numbered among the “living” and not the “dead”.

This is why Paul said if he were absent from his body, he would then be present with the Lord. I believe the same. Peace
Death and hell are cast into the lake of fire….

Revelation 20:14
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Look, neither of us is denying the Scripture or rejecting Yeshua's teaching, all that I am saying is that you've got a wrong idea of "hell" in that specific context. Here's some legit material about this place called Gehenna:

There you can see, Jesus used Gehenna as an ILLUSTRATION of hell. The Lake of Fire is eternal, designed for the unholy trinity and all the unclean spirits, but this Gehenna is NOT eternal, it was just an ILLUSTRATION to show the disciples what the Lake of Fire looks like. You're conflating Gehenna with the Lake of Fire.

Active
How does it go to the heart of the issue?

Create a thread on translations and make your point there. I will reply there instead of hijacking this thread.

Translations have been discussed here before. There is a lot to talk about.
The point of the question wasn't about translations per se. It was about your insistence that they are right. That's why I asked the question. You've insisted that aion mean eternal because all of the translations say it does. That's why I asked you why we, you don't use the same bible as Jesus and the apostles.

Active
The point of the question wasn't about translations per se. It was about your insistence that they are right. That's why I asked the question. You've insisted that aion mean eternal because all of the translations say it does. That's why I asked you why we, you don't use the same bible as Jesus and the apostles.
You guys are lost in the argument over this one word. The point is not this adjetive, but the noun that follows. In other words, what IS eternal and what IS NOT eternal? The answer is simple and clear: body is NOT eternal, spirit IS eternal; Gehenna is NOT eternal, Lake of Fire IS eternal. Born again Christians have eternal life (John 3:16-17) as they are born in eternal spirit; heathens are not born again in Holy Spirit, but possessed by unclean spirits, therefore they won't have eternal life, when they die, bodies decompose into dust, those unclean spirits are bound for a thousand years then cast down into the Lake of Fire.

Active
I gave you the words of Jesus who said there is BOTH a body and a soul.
Yes, both words are in Scripture.
Right, but that does mean the body is the same as the soul.
Let me give you more proof of this here in…
Yes, it does. It says the man which is the body "became" a living soul.

1 Kings 17:21-22​

King James Version​

21 And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the Lord, and said, O Lord my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again.
22 And the Lord heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.”

Notice the child’s living soul entered back into the child’s dead physical body, proving the living soul exited the physical body upon the physical death of the body.

This confirms what Jesus said about there being both a body and a soul. It can’t be any clearer than that.
Ok, now reread that passage and replace the word soul with the word life.
Most people think of death as physical, but there is also a spiritual death. In the Genesis account God told Adam that in the day he ate from the tree of knowledge that he would surely die. But the day Adam sinned against Gods command, he did not physically die, so what death was God talking about?

God was talking about the spiritual death that takes place when we sin. Being separated from Gods presence is also a part of this spiritual death. We see this in Adam, and also in Cain, who after killing his brother was cast out of Gods presence, and marked.
Actually, there's no such thing as spiritual death. You won't find that phrase in Scripture. Also, Adam did die in the day he ate from the tree. If we look at the ancient Jewish and early Chrisitan understanding of this, we see what God meant. David said a thousand years in God's sight are as yesterday. Peter, alluding to this passage said a day with the Lord is as a thousand years. They're referring to God's prophetic day. Adam lived 930 years. That's just short of a thousand years, one day.

Here's the early Christian understanding.

2. Thus, then, in the day that they did eat, in the same did they die, and became death’s debtors, since it was one day of the creation. For it is said, “There was made in the evening, and there was made in the morning, one day.” Now in this same day that they did eat, in that also did they die. But according to the cycle and progress of the days, after which one is termed first, another second, and another third, if anybody seeks diligently to learn upon what day out of the seven it was that Adam died, he will find it by examining the dispensation of the Lord. For by summing up in Himself the whole human race from the beginning to the end, He has also summed up its death. From this it is clear that the Lord suffered death, in obedience to His Father, upon that day on which Adam died while he disobeyed God. Now he died on the same day in which he did eat. For God said, “In that day on which ye shall eat of it, ye shall die by death.” The Lord, therefore, recapitulating in Himself this day, underwent His sufferings upon the day preceding the Sabbath, that is, the sixth day of the creation, on which day man was created; thus granting him a second creation by means of His passion, which is that [creation] out of death. And there are some, again, who relegate the death of Adam to the thousandth year; for since “a day of the Lord is as a thousand years,” he did not overstep the thousand years, but died within them, thus bearing out the sentence of his sin. Whether, therefore, with respect to disobedience, which is death; whether [we consider] that, on account of that, they were delivered over to death, and made debtors to it; whether with respect to [the fact that on] one and the same day on which they ate they also died (for it is one day of the creation); whether [we regard this point], that, with respect to this cycle of days, they died on the day in which they did also eat, that is, the day of the preparation, which is termed “the pure supper,” that is, the sixth day of the feast, which the Lord also exhibited when He suffered on that day; or whether [we reflect] that he (Adam) did not overstep the thousand years, but died within their limit,—it follows that, in regard to all these significations, God is indeed true. For they died who tasted of the tree; and the serpent is proved a liar and a murderer, as the Lord said of him: “For he is a murderer from the beginning, and the truth is not in him.”

Irenaeus of Lyons, “Irenæus against Heresies,” in The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus, ed. Alexander Roberts, James Donaldson, and A. Cleveland Coxe, vol. 1, The Ante-Nicene Fathers (Buffalo, NY: Christian Literature Company, 1885), 551–552.

Here is the Jewish perspective from the book of Jubilees.

Adam died, and all his sons buried him in the land of his creation, and he 30 was the first to be buried in the earth. And he lacked seventy years of one thousand years; for one thousand years are as one day in the testimony of the heavens and therefore was it written concerning the tree of knowledge: 'On the day that ye eat thereof ye shall die.' For this reason he 31 did not complete the years of this day; for he died during it.
God said in Isaiah 59:2

2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.​

Paul said in Col 2:13 and Ephesians 2:1that we were dead in our sins. It is written in Ezekiel 18:20 that the soul that sins it shall die. Paul also said in 1Tim.5:6 that the woman who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives.

So to God you are dead spiritually while you are yet alive in the body because of sin. Just as Jesus said in Matthew 8:23 to let the dead bury their dead.
On the contrary. Paul often uses death as a metaphor. Paul also said, "I die daily" Was he spiritually dead? He also said he was alive without the Law but when the Law came, he died. Was Paul spiritually alive and then when he heard the Law he died spiritually? No. He's using death as metaphor. Just like in Ephesian, dead in sin is simply a way of saying they could do nothing about their sinful condition. Just as a dead man can do nothing about his condition.
It is also written that to be carnally minded is death. So the issue of sin must be dealt with so that we can be reconciled back to the presence of God. God said in Ezekiel 18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

We know we cannot make ourselves a new heart and a new spirit, but God can. Which is why God sent His Son Jesus Christ to reconcile us back to God through His sacrifice on the cross. And through Christ we have the forgiveness of past sins, and we are also empowered by Him to overcome future sin by spiritual rebirth.

When this spiritual rebirth happens we pass from Death unto Life.

Jesus said in John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”

When we get victory over the mark of sin by Faith in Jesus Christ, we also get victory over the name, which is Death.
Jesus too uses death as a metaphor. There is nothing in Scripture about spiritual death. That's not even possible because man is not a spirit. The only spirit in man is God. He puts His breath/spirit in man to make man alive and to believers He gives the Holy Spirit. However, neither of these are man, they are God.

Loyal
Matthew 25:31 But when the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit on the throne of his glory:
32 and before him shall be gathered all the nations: and he shall separate them one from another, just as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats;
33 and he shall set the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say to them on his right, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the world’s foundation:
41 Then shall he say also to them on the left, Depart from me, ye cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
46 And these shall go away into eternal punishment: but the righteous into eternal life.

everlasting:
Gr. aionios, G 166 > +Matt 18:8, Some go to great length to argue that the punishment threatened here by our Lord Jesus Christ is not truly everlasting or never-ending.
Those who argue this way do so in an effort to bolster their mistaken notion of justice and their mistaken view of the character of God (+**Gen 18:25 note).
Some quibble over the meaning of “eternal,” arguing from the fact that the word in Scripture is sometimes used in a finite sense (+Psa 24:9 note), and sometimes used in an infinite sense (John 6:54 note).
From this fact they justify asserting a limited sense to the duration of everlasting punishment. The answer to this objection is simple.
Jesus spoke of two ages, this age, and the age to come. In the King James Version these terms are translated “this world” and “the world to come” in Matt 12:32.
When the word “eternal” is applied to things restricted to this age it is used in a finite or limited sense.
When “eternal” has reference to things in “the age to come,” it is used in an infinite sense.
Clearly God is eternal and will continue to exist in the age to come.
Just as eternal life and eternal punishment pertain to and exist in the age to come, so “eternal” in reference to them is used in the infinite, never-ending sense. +*Matt 18:8, Psa 52:5; Psa 92:7, **Isa 33:14; Isa 38:18, +*Dan 12:2,
*Mar 3:29, 2Thess 1:9, Heb 6:2, *Rev 14:11.
The Ultimate Cross-Reference Treasury by Jerome H. Smith © 2004