• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Catholicism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirmed then...

I went to a Catholic wedding a few weekends ago. Again, as with my previous encounters with Catholic churches (my mother's catholic), I found myself wondering what the point of all that was. 95% of what went on there was not Biblical.
Quaint and ceremonial, but not Biblical.

I must add that this does not detract in my mind from the specialness of the occasion or the two people who got married.

....95% of what went on there was not Biblical....

If anyone ever tells me the Mass un-Biblical, I just steer them to Acts 2:42:

"They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer."

That is the Mass: We hear the scripture readings and the priest's homily, we receive the Eucharist, and we engage in much prayer. Bingo. That is the Mass, all wrapped up nice and neat in one verse.
<!-- / message -->

Administrator
Staff Member
That is an absolutely untrue statement.

And you proved your point how? Just because you say so? I come from a family of over 200 Catholic members and went to Catholic school for 13 years. You cannot teach me about these things whatsoever. Pride leads to destruction, keep that in mind. If you refuse to let go of false doctrine such as the Catholicism, then its your hurt.

"They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer."

That is the Mass: We hear the scripture readings and the priest's homily, we receive the Eucharist, and we engage in much prayer. Bingo. That is the Mass, all wrapped up nice and neat in one verse.
<!-- / message -->

What about the rest of the unscriptural things they practice? Was it a mere coincidence that a few years ago suddenly hundreds of priest molestation cases came about in just a few months, all from Roman "catholic" system? They were exposed. Tell me, its biblical that priests are not allowed to get married? Why do they have their own version of the bible, can you explain? The prayer to Mary and saints, this is biblical too?

You clearly came here to defend the doctrines man has made just because you believe in that system. But for us here in the forums, we believe in Jesus Christ, AS IS! No modifications, no man made ideas, religions, traditions, etc. Just Jesus and the Holy Scripture. It doesn't kill to keep it simple and truthful. But it kills to steer away from GOD and end up in your own beliefs.

Clearly, you ignored all the proof and truth in the OP of this thread. That's your choice, but don't preach it here.

Hollo Drbubbalove.I can tell you that in my life time I have met some very kind
and loving Catholics,who took care of me and my two brothers when we had
no one else.

Im currently going to a baptist church,been here for bout 2 years but I'll tell ya
this road hasnt been easy.
I used to go to a pentacostal church, was there for bout three years,then one
day while working at the church I stumbled into an arguement with one of the
brothers,the subject in question was the the triuness of God,and to my shock
and dissmay I found out that for all these years I had been sitting under a
teaching that denies the trinity.At this point I imidiately exited.

My next move was to join another pentacostal church.
This time the pastor was in love with mafia figures and I was misled to the point
where I was nearly killed.

And on I went to another pentacostal gathering.
I only lasted a month because of all the preasure they put on me to speak in tonges.
When the congregants realized that I wasnt all worked up for the tonges they simply
put me on the not saved list.

I became so depressed and oppressed by all the hoopla of churchianity I lost my
testamony and all hope,I became homeless and began to drink my misseries away.

I can still remember as if it was yesturday when my great awakening came.
I woke up behind a dumpster smelling like dung I went to the nearest church
to hear a message of hope. And you wanna know what the preacher was talkin bout?
The preacher man was talkin bout the curse of poverty, name it and claim it blabb
it and dabb it.

I say all that,to say this.
There are many teachings within main line christianity that lead many stright to hell.
Im alive and well because..Ezekiel 34:11-12...............

John4:23-24.A time will come,however,indeed it is already here,when the true(genuine)
worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth(reality);for the Father is seeking
just such people as these as His worshipers.

Last edited:
Our Pastor was raised Catholic, but God found him overseas, called him out and he is now an anointed teacher of Gods word.
Serving in a Calvary Church.

Gods hand is not shortened that he cannot save, and He knows right where they are, and will lose none the Father has given him.

They will know we are Christian by our Love.
Speak truth, trust God to draw the soul.
Remembering what he saved us from helps to do that. :sadface:

There is no historical proof that Peter ever went to Rome, Apostolic succession is a myth. The first time the catholic system was formed it was an attempt by Constantine to consolidate the his shrinking political power by merging it with a religious empire in around 300 AD .The Apostles would not let men bow down to them and worship them. Using tradition over the Word of God will always lead to error. Bowing to idols is an abomination and changing the 10 commandments to hide that act is just as bad. Selling indulgences was extortion and the worst kind of deception. Many catholic traditions came from absorbing pagan tradition ( it was easier than converting others)
It is true that protestants became free from this confusion (by the grace of God).
Mixing the apocrypha into scripture causes an enormous amount of confusion and error.
The early churches were separate entities with different doctrines and cannon and were mostly under the supervision of the Apostle Paul who even had to correct Peter. Peter was a nice guy who suffered foot in mouth disease.
That is not to say there are not nice people there because they are. They are simply lost in deception, may Jesus have mercy on them.

My Father was raised a Catholic and died a Catholic.
My Father was raised old school,a stubborn man ,but
yet very loving and caring towards the stranger,he
didnt know how to read or write but he sure lived out
the royal law acording to James 2:8.

The last four months of my fathers life,we spent many
a times,hours discussing eternal life.
My father was a very active person even though he
was missing both legs and almost completely blind he
managed to arise each morning to feed his horses and
goats,pigs,chickens.
Three weeks before my fathers departure,he called me
to ask me if I could help him build a shrine for Mary.
I said yes,
we built a 20x12sqft shrine with windows all around
that turned out looking like a san Fransisco toll booth.
When we finished building,I asked my father,what this
meant to him.
And in his words,he said,This was in dedication to Mary
and that she was very special because she was chosen
to carry baby Jesus.
In my brain and heart I decided not to get theological.
I left it at that...
Me and my father lived in different states so times were
difficult going back and forth,but we comunicated with
eachother on the phone as much as we could.

On july 28th 2008,I receaved a call from my sister;
my father was near death,I talked with my father
expectant,I guess I always wanted some theologicaly
profound statement to come out of my father's mouth,
but God showed me to quit looking for the profound
and listen to my father.My father's simple utterance
was,I love you, tell your brother to change his ways, and
take care of your children.
I took the next bus to Arizona with the expectation
of speaking to him in person.

On july 31st 2008
I got to the hospice,but my father was already sedated
and unconscious,I spent all morning and all the way into
the night whispering the four gospels and the book of
Romans.
Upon taking his very last and deep breath I clenched his
hand as tight as I could and with a gentleness I got right
next to his ear and whispered,put all your confidence
in the Lord Jesus....................................................

Last edited:

<!-- / message -->

And that is just your interpretation of Acts 2:42. There are many other styles of religious liturgy that claim the same thing.

The problem is....

<!-- / message -->

Protestants do not believe in the Eucharist! We believe in celebrating Holy Communion, yes, but there is a vast doctrinal difference between the symbolic breaking of bread in remembrance of Christ (Luke 22:19; 1st Cor. 11:24-5), and what Catholic doctrine teaches as the real Body and blood of Christ!

Is God a piece of bread? Is He a vine? Is He Manna? What about a door? He equated Himself with all these, yet they are symbolic. When Christ died on the cross He said, "IT IS FINISHED."

"...but He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, SAT DOWN AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD, waiting from that time onward UNTIL HIS ENEMIES BE MADE A FOOTSTOOL FOR HIS FEET. For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified." (Hebrews 10:12-14 NASB)

Last edited:
If I saw the faults some imagined then this Church would never have attracted me, so I cannot answer that question. Perhaps you misunderstood.

My point was that one cannot make a false representation of the beliefs of another then make a meaningful argument against that representation. It would be no different than my proclaiming all Protestants believe in flying pink elephants and then say here is the scripture proving elephants cannot fly.

In short, was politely, humbly and with a lot of restraint suggesting that the characterizations of Catholics beliefs being presented in your first post are false and that it would be better to refute the Church’s actual teachings rather than a misrepresentation of it.

It is the classic response of Roman Catholics to claim that Protestants misrepresent the teachings of the Catholic Church. This is false as so many of us have come out of the system and know quite well what Catholics believe. Yes, you DO worship Mary (latria, dulia and hyperdulia equal the same thing) and the making and bowing to graven images are expressly forbidden in Deuteronly 4:16.

Unfortunately, the Catholic hierarchy would have you believe that only THEY can interpret scripture correctly because they are "one true church." I beg to differ.

Amen! Victory 53.....

Carlos, I am so grieved that you had to pass through such confusion, but isnt GOD FAITHFUL!

He did bring you through, with Love, mercy and grace, and you are much stronger in him, and more able to help others also. Praise God!

Quote:Upon taking his very last and deep breath I clenched his
hand as tight as I could and with a gentleness I got right
next to his ear and whispered,put all your confidence
in the Lord Jesus...... Quote

In this you have touched my heart, deeply! Bless you, in Christ, forever!

R u telling me 1.14 billion Roman Catholics r misled. Well if Christ turns them down then he is a sore loser as the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. Christ came to the earth to win not to lose.

R u telling me 1.14 billion Roman Catholics r misled. Well if Christ turns them down then he is a sore loser as the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. Christ came to the earth to win not to lose.

Quite frankly, if they are led by catholicism, then the answer is yes they most definitely are misled.

Jesus said few will find it, or enter it. Every man must press into the kingdom of God, because it suffers violence.

As far as apostasy, the bible itself tell us that the RCC is in outright apostasy. See the prophecy below concerning such teachings. This does not only include the RCC, but any faith that teaches like this.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,
1Ti 4:2 through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared,
1Ti 4:3 who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.

This prophecy is pretty accurate, and amazes me. Only the RCC fits this bill so far. Therefore for now the RCC is basically fulfilling it, leaving themselves in the same boat as this prophecy by the holy spirit of God.

Forbidding to marry is a doctrine of devils, forbidding certain foods is also a false doctrine (ie lent or certain Fridays or ash Wednesdays)

So according to this prophecy the RCC is an apostate Church, that has turned from the truth, and is now serving us the doctrines of men and demons.

And this is not my words here, but words that came from the spirit of God to one of his apostles.

So how do we fix apostasy? we repent of it, and turn back to God and his word. God will not draw men into apostasy. Men and evil spirits lead men into apostasy, God draws men into truth, not away from it.

1Ti 4:6 If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed.
1Ti 4:7 Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness.

1Ti 4:11 Command and teach these things.

Paul was a good servant of Christ, not excepting false teachings that drown men into destruction. And sadly the world is full of this in this day and age. All prophesied to come, but we are warned not to follow it, or give it God speed.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

in my opinion, which remains that; is that one should not criticize what they do not Know or understand.
i believe that God's Love Includes everyone and is not Limited to just a few. We shouldn't Judge others just because they are not like us no matter who they are. its all about Loving God and loving our neighbor. No point in endless debates

Administrator
Staff Member
Sister hadirfuss,

Its very important to rebuke false teaching. We are called to love the sinner, yes. We are not to judge. However, its important for us to rebuke anything against Scripture and to reach out to the lost. Otherwise, we are being selfish if we do not do so.

So in the end, its not about judging catholics but instead rebuking the false teachings.

Amen Brother Chad

Being born into the Catholic church and reading the Bible.
I've realized tradition is not as important as being true to God.
False teachings are out there so it is good to open other people's eyes.
Words are seeds that the Holy Spirit will use to bring about change.
Yes, no one should judge another, we are all fallen.
Yet we need to pray daily that our eyes can be opened.
And not retaliate with anger.
Sometimes anger is just as telling as the tendency to be judgmental.
Thank God He is omniscient and knows the hearts of men better than they know themselves.

Administrator
Staff Member
This Scripture should be enough to explain why we should not sit back and allow false teaching to continue. We have a responsibility as believers to preach what is truth according to the Word of GOD. There is no excuse to keep shut in front of those who teach false doctrines. There is no excuse to remain silent with our beloved family and friends who are deceived by false doctrines. If you call yourself a believer, start acting like one.

2 Timothy 3:14-17 (English Standard Version)

<sup id="en-ESV-29851" class="versenum" value="14">14</sup>But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it <sup id="en-ESV-29852" class="versenum" value="15">15</sup>and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. <sup id="en-ESV-29853" class="versenum" value="16">16</sup> [HIGH-LIGHT]All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, <sup value="17" class="versenum" id="en-ESV-29854">17</sup>that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work[/HIGH-LIGHT].

yes it is time that we start standing hard and firm against the false teachings in this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.