• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Blasphemous Thoughts - A Testimony - Part 1

I have experienced this. I applied constant prayer, reading scripture, Christian music, good works and the body and blood of Christ above all- and the attacks ceased! My attacks lasted for more than 20 years. At first they were everyday , then every few days but constant for a very long time. Most of the time they would become so unbearable I thought I would never be able to go on, but I did. I can now expel demons and have many other spiritual gifts. Thank you for sharing, God Bless!

So, why are blasphemous thoughts bad? Is it because they question god? Why is that a bad thing? What if these "Blasphemous thoughts" are in fact your logical side trying to tell you that you are believing something that is false?

Administrator
Staff Member
So, why are blasphemous thoughts bad? Is it because they question god? Why is that a bad thing? What if these "Blasphemous thoughts" are in fact your logical side trying to tell you that you are believing something that is false?

There is no "what ifs". Truth is not debatable. Facts are not questionable if they are indeed, facts.

If you truly care about finding out the truth about God, here are external sites I recommend (so you don't think I'm being biased).

Is There a God?
Evidence for God's Existence

Read this book by hardcore former atheist Lee Strobel, called A Case for Christ.

Lastly, Evidence & Prophecy

Staff Member

Dear Scott.
The premise you have is wrong. God doesn't mind being asked questions. Read the book of Job and you'll see that Job asked and received replies to them. However, questions whose sole purpose is to plant seeds of distrust, malice, hate, envy, pride, and the list goes on. Are not presented to serve one with greater understanding and to be fruitful in growing closer to any truth. Rather the opposite. They are made to create discord or in other words chaos.

Take my Brother's advice and check out the links and the book. Really quite good. There's even a movie on the book that was made. Not as good as the book, but it provides you an option to choose from. :)

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
Nick
<><

I just read this thread and had to sign up to thank the OP for the encouragement it gave me in such a horrible time. God Bless you.

I just read this thread and had to sign up to thank the OP for the encouragement it gave me in such a horrible time. God Bless you.

Exactly the same thing for me ! Thank you for OP... I was thinking about writing to a pastor, priest, somebody to help me but I found some answers here: that I am NOT alone.
When I was born again, confessed my sins and TRULY accepted Jesus Christ has LORD, savior, these thoughts started to erupt. That's because I am emotionally and logically connected with Jesus now.

And I always prayed and went to church before that, always had faith in Christ but only recently when I TRULY accepted Jesus has the only way, the true way, "the way, the truth and the life", confessed with my mouth that Jesus is LORD, that these thoughts started to come. Before that, not really.

I confessed my sins, cried like a baby. I know the holy spirit is in me, that I am God's child. I have his protection. And then, these thoughts come and pop even has I'm writing this. It's been going for a while now, even during prayed and it affects me. I know and feel the peace of God. But my mind tries to play tricks with blasphemous thoughts. Horrible thoughts... Disgusting thoughts.

And I will confess some of these thoughts so you may know you are not alone :
- **ck God. Word cursing against God
- Feces and urine related thoughts about God

You get the idea ?

But in my everyday life, I don't "act" like that. I talk about God, Jesus to friends and my wife with wisdom. At least I try.

Has a read here and thought correctly, these are attacks of the devil. In my heart, I don't feel any hate, malice against God. I have the peace of God, truly. I cleaned up a lot of sin in my life. But then the mind and thoughts try to fool me with blasphemy. Truly, the work of the wicked. And by reading these posts, it confirms what I'm thinking : now that I'm a child of God, saved by the blood of Jesus, evil forces try to mess me up, separate me from him, putting guilt in my mind, even during prayed. AND I'M NOT ALONE by reading this thread. This cannot be talked to "ordinary" people that don't believe in Jesus. They are dead in spirit.

I'm telling God "I'm I an arrogant child ? I'm I a disgraceful child ? I'm a bad child ? Please don't forsake me". The devil wanting me to doubt my relationship with God.

Just as I have faith that Jesus died for my sins and whomever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life, I must have faith that NOTHING will separate me from him. Not these thoughts, nothing. I ask God to forgive my sins (and these thoughts that the wicked try to trick me that they are from me), to look past that, to look deep into my heart where the truth is and he sees that my heart is pure in that regard.

It's a spiritual battle : you must fight in spirit. My weapon: faith in God. Faith in Jesus. He won the fight already on the cross. My job is to trust and have faith and don't doubt that, ever.

Staff Member
Just as I have faith that Jesus died for my sins and whomever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life, I must have faith that NOTHING will separate me from him. Not these thoughts, nothing. I ask God to forgive my sins (and these thoughts that the wicked try to trick me that they are from me), to look past that, to look deep into my heart where the truth is and he sees that my heart is pure in that regard.

Yes!

Praise the Lord.

Thank you for sharing @RobForJC

Thank you so much, I needed to read this, it almost felt like it was written for me. I was in total torment, could not sleep, could not rest...felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest because of the same ordeal you had. Thank you and bless you for taking the time to write this, it really helped me. I actually feel like the Holy Spirit lead me to this post. Thanks again!

Praise the Lord for this, He knows how harsh it's been, I felt so lost and hopeless. Thank you Jesus Christ for your infinite wisdom and sharing with me this post by way of one of your other fellow servants

Having an extreme anxiety, couldn't sleep all night because of the very racing thoughts that was tormenting me, I was to the point to losing my mind & even not wanting to be here anymore... BUT I was on YouTube and for some reason I wanted to listen to Joyce Mayers preaching again but the video wasn't loading but as i waited I scrolled down and came across your comment and it was like omgosh moment because I thought I was the only 1 going threw this tormenting thoughts and crying out why? Why? Why me?? I would look at my brother & sisters in Christ worshipping the Lord & I was there paralyzed in my torments,horrible feeling... Everytime I would try to seek God this very same tormenting thoughts would come and I would stop altogether seeking, and this has been going on for years, but this time around it is different I don't want to give up & praying to seek the Lord with my whole heart. A sense of peace came over and wanting to read more I immediately clicked on the link, I see the importance of reading and speaking the Word of God out loud and to meditate... I want to seek the Lord with all my heart. THANK YOU JESUS
Bless you

Pry

I am posting this testimony of the spiritual battle I have been in, because I have noticed that some people are concerned about blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. I don't know if anyone would even be interested in my testimony on this, because for one thing it will probably end up being too long to sit and read all the way through. But in case you are interested, I will be telling of my experiences with the hope that it will help you to cope with and have victory over it, without all the trial and error I went through.

Chad has some excellent posts on the subject and they do a great job of explaining what it is and isn't, but they don't elaborate on the tactics of the devil relating to the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and how to overcome the attacks.

So what follows here is my personal, real-life account of an 8 week war (and counting?) with the devil and his attempts to :

1) make me believe I have committed blasphemy of the Holy Spirit 2) make me doubt my salvation 3) make me doubt God's love for me 4) make me feel guilty beyond hope 5) make me believe his thoughts WERE MY THOUGHTS 6) make me lose my sanity

Throughout this ordeal God has been revealing scriptures to me, among the many others things that have happened, and the one that stands out is :

2 Corinthians 1:3-7 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort. It is my fervent hope that all who read this and can relate to it, will take comfort in this post, like the God of all comfort has given so abundantly to me!!

So here it is now, my testimony :

For the last 8 weeks I have had continuous attacks from satan, who has been trying to put filthy, blasphemous thoughts about the Holy Spirit into my mind. They are the most vile and horrifying thoughts you could possibly imagine. At the beginning they absolutely horrified me and caused me no end of distress, to put it mildly!

And last but not least, he was trying his absolute best to convince me that all those thoughts WERE MY THOUGHTS, because he knows how much torment that can cause to a believer in Christ.

Here is what I have discovered through 8 weeks of doing spiritual warfare with satan : he is able to plant thoughts in your head that are indistinguishable from your own[/COLOR]! Not only that, he is able to literally finish sentences for you!

I discovered that the enemy’s thoughts blend in with my own. At first I was unable to tell where my thoughts ended and Satan’s began. In a split second he can finish my own thought with a swear word.

These thoughts made me feel for sure that I did the unpardonable sin and was now therefore totally lost, un-redeemable and without hope for salvation..

Now, before I continue, I want everyone to know that what I have been going through is not at all uncommon. We read in

1 Corinthians 10:13 :
New International Version (NIV)

13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

And perhaps some think what is meant here is that we all have temptations about similar mundane things, like our finances, marriage struggles, losing our job, health problems, etc. But unless you have experienced a barrage of blasphemous thoughts from satan, you would not believe the above verse applies to that kind of situation.

After all, you would suppose, what kind of Christian would have thoughts like that? Thoughts so horrible that I wouldn't repeat them if I could. Thoughts that could seemingly only come from the most reprobate and evil mind.

That's what satan was trying desperately to make me believe, that this thing was only happening to ME, that it couldn't POSSIBLY happen to a "real" Christian.

He was working overtime to make me believe that no one was as horrible as me, because anyone thinking such thoughts must be the worst person on the face of the earth. And did I really believe a Christian could be having thoughts such as these? Therefore I mustn't be a Christian.

These are some of the things I had to battle and that initially tormented me so much.

And just to clarify, the evil thoughts weren't conscious decisions I just made out of the blue to purposely insult, grieve, malign or blaspheme God, etc.
I then, as I do now, have no desire whatsoever to say, think or do anything negative towards God, towards anyone in the Godhead. The wicked thoughts that came into my mind were VERY FAST AND RANDOM - unexpected , unplanned, etc. And as fast as I could possibly do so, I would stop the thought and take it into captivity in obedience to
2 Corinthians 10:4-6
:
For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.

At the beginning, when the thought attacks first started, I was so frightened, because as a Christian I knew that having a horrible thought against the Holy Spirit would never be forgiven, and is in fact the only one mentioned in the bible as not being forgiven.

In fact I would literally shriek inside with horror and like I said earlier, be extremely grieved, upset, and mortified at such thoughts. Again I say, they were incredibly quick flashes of horrible thoughts, directed at the Holy Spirit. I did not sit there and say to myself anything remotely along the lines of : " I hate God, so I think I'll have some fun and do some blaspheming", if you know what I mean.

I am now going to give you just a little info about how I was attempting to stop the attacks, why that failed miserably, and what I finally figured out after listening to God and doing it His way.

If you ever find yourself , or know of someone else in the situation I was in, you will know what to do and it will save you a lot of ongoing torment.

Because I hated those thoughts I did my very best to stop them in their tracks as soon as I could - casting down imaginations, taking every thought into captivity, etc.
I rebuked satan in Jesus' name many times, I bound satan in Jesus' name many times, I listened to praise music all day long, etc.

But the attacks kept coming at me, over and over. It was hard to sleep, hard to function in the day and very distracting from serving and looking solely upon the Lord, which is what I wanted to do.

THIS IS IMPORTANT : The reason my efforts to stop the attacks didn't work was because I was trying to fight a spiritual battle with my FLESH.

Not only that, but because of the way the human mind works, the act of trying to stop a thought, or not remember it or think of it, GUARANTEES you will do it!! Our natural reaction would be to try and stop and silence the thought. Trust me, no one would want such thoughts in their head about their mother, never mind God in the person of The Holy Spirit!!!

But I repeat, if you are having those thought attacks, you will heap even more misery upon yourself by trying to combat them by simply sheer force of will. The goal must never be the avoidance of blasphemous thoughts. The harder we try to avoid them, the worse they will get.
The only way to combat them is by doing hardcore spiritual battle.

Ephesians 6:11-18 11 Put on the full armor of God, that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14 Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming missiles of the evil one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit...

Taking up the shield of faith and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, is CRUCIAL. You need to fight spirit by Spirit. There are numerous bible verses that tell us who we are in Christ, what we can expect from Him, etc. And we must wield these passages like a sword in order to defeat the enemy.

Jesus stopped satan's attacks against Him in the wilderness by QUOTING SCRIPTURE. We must do the same.

The word of God - the sword of the Spirit - tells us in

Philippians 4:7
The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Amen!

Believing in and using verses like this one is one of the weapons you need. Satan cannot overpower your mind, no matter how convincing he is to the contrary!! And make no mistake, he is very convincing!!
If satan seems to be overpowering your mind, you must pray and believe that God WILL guard it. He cannot lie.

2 Timothy 4:18

18 And the Lord will deliver me from and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory forever and ever. Amen!

If being bombarded by a howitzer of blasphemous thoughts is not AN EVIL WORK, I don't know what is!!!

Therefore, this scripture assures us that the Lord will deliver us from EVERY evil work. Trusting in God and His incredible power and love for you is essential to gaining the victory that Christ has given you.

More spiritual battle verses :

Psalms 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

Proverbs 18:10:
The name of the lord is a strong tower, the righteous run into it and the are safe"

Joshua1:9 Be strong of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Colossians 2:15 New International Version (NIV)

15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

We must keep our eyes on Jesus at all times, and not let satan's thoughts distract us and distress us. When Peter took his eyes off the Lord and instead looked at the waves for a brief second, he started to lose faith and sink into the sea that he had moments before been walking on.
No matter what scary distractions the devil throws at you, keep your focus on Jesus

Unwanted thoughts are simply a form of temptation, and all Christians are tempted.

Calmly address the devil, saying something like, “In the name of Jesus I rebuke you. No matter what lies and filth you put into my head, Jesus defeated you and I belong to Jesus, and in Him there is no condemnation in me.”

Romans 8:1 New International Version (NIV)

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus

1 Corinthians 15:57
But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Psalm 27:1
1The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Romans 8:37-39
37Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.38For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I will leave it that regarding scriptures. There are so many more, the point of which is, we have nothing to fear from unwanted blasphemous attacks.

We must stubbornly resist the pressure to surrender to the enemy's lies, whether it be false condemnation or believing that we are responsible for thoughts we do not want.

Don’t waste your resources getting sidetracked into self-examination or fighting thoughts or feelings. No matter how real and scary they seem, they are just cardboard cut-outs.

The plan of the devil with these thoughts is to try to sabotage our relationship with God. He wants us so fixated on trying to fight unwanted blasphemous thoughts and so foolishly convinced that they render us repulsive to God[/COLOR], that we misinterpret our Lord’s every expression of love for us.

The devil wants us to push God away through being duped into wrongly supposing that ugly thoughts render us unacceptable to the God who is head over heels in love with us.

Unwanted thoughts, no matter how repulsive, are merely pesky flies that refuse to be shooed away.

So in summary, satan putting blasphemous thoughts into the minds of Christians is not unusual or uncommon.

We must recognize that no negative thought is from God. They are a deception from the father of lies, who is a murderer, thief and destroyer.

We must focus on JESUS, not satan or his attacks. NO MATTER WHAT, focus on Jesus and never forget that He will never forsake you or let the enemy harm you. Jesus is the Good Shepherd who lays down His life for His sheep. No wolf or roaring lion will take you out of His hands!!!

Jesus has defeated satan and overcome the world. All authority is given to Him in heaven and earth. What can satan do to you? What can HIS thoughts do to you? He is a weak and defeated enemy that plays on our insecurities and weaknesses, but ultimately is a paper tiger doing shadow puppets on the wall to try and scare us.

I was in utter turmoil when the thoughts first started, because I had never experienced them before. And as I said, they are SO REAL and so INDISTINGUISHABLE from your own.

But I am telling you this testimony so you don't have to have any turmoil if it happens to YOU. You will know what it is that is happening to you, why it is, and what you can do about it. Just ignore the devil, for it makes his day when he gets to you and causes you grief.
Resist him and he will FLEE.

In part 2 I will talk about some great Christians that have gone through the very thing I have talked about. And if you ever get these attacks, know that you will be in some great company!! :wink:

Thank you to www.net-burst.net for some excerpts and other writings on the subject.

here's their disclaimer :
Not to be sold. © Copyright, 2004,
Grantley Morris. Not to be copied in whole or in part without citing this entire paragraph. Many more compassionate, inspiring, sometimes hilarious writings by Grantley Morris available free at the following internet site www.net-burst.net Freely you have received, freely give.
Wow! I found by the grace of God this post. Thank you! I only had 4 hours of sleep. I've been flooded by thoughts and also a bad dream last night. Praise the Lord who is faithful!

Pry

Wow! I found by the grace of God this post. Thank you! I only had 4 hours of sleep. I've been flooded by thoughts and also a bad dream last night. Praise the Lord who is faithful!
I've been dealing with this for about a year and I kept away from the church because of some stuff that was happening to me. I have been reconnecting with the Lord and after reading my devotionals something happened and boom! The thoughts started flooding in. Within 6-8 months, I have been looking for articles or forums with people who are going through what I go through. Tonight I finally came across this. Praise the lord!

I came across your thread and I too can understand where your coming from for I had blasphemous thoughts, and again like yourself I was very distressed but from this happened it has drawn me closer god which for me is the best thing that could of ever happend glory be to god.

I've been going through these intrusive thoughts and I just want them to stop thankyou

Blasphemous Thoughts - A Testimony - Part 2 of 2

How many of you would be surprised to know that some well-known "lions of the faith", such as C. H. Spurgeon, John Bunyon and others have confessed to horrible blasphemous thoughts?

Here are some excerpts, showing how any Christian, whether of small or large stature, can be attacked by satan in this way.

C. H. Spurgeon Confessed To Blasphemous Thoughts :
Helpful Bible Insights When Our Minds Fill With Blasphemy

Six thousand people used to cram into his Baptist church in London, England to hear Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-1892) preach. The man regularly acclaimed as “The Prince of Preachers” is even today highly revered and widely read. The following is from Charles Spurgeon’s book, All of Grace.

Here’s what he has to tell the countless thousands of Christians who, like him, find themselves thinking blasphemous thoughts they want nothing to do with (some highlights):

I have heard someone say, “I am tormented with horrible thoughts. Wherever I go, blasphemies steal in upon me. Frequently at my work a dreadful suggestion forces itself upon me, and even on my bed I am startled from my sleep by whispers of the evil one. I cannot get away from this horrible temptation.”

Friend, I know what you mean, for I have myself been hunted by this wolf. A man might as well hope to fight a swarm of flies with a sword as to master his own thoughts when they are set on by the devil.

Remember Martin Luther’s way of cutting the devil’s head off with his own sword. “Oh,” said the devil to Martin Luther, “you are a sinner.” “Yes,” said he, “Christ died to save sinners.” Thus he smote him with his own sword. Hide in this refuge, and remain there: “In due time Christ died for the ungodly.” If you stand to that truth, your blasphemous thoughts which you have no strength to drive away will go away of themselves; for Satan will see that he is answering no purpose by plaguing you with them.

These thoughts, if you hate them, are none of yours, but are injections of the Devil, for which he is responsible, and not you. If you strive against them, they are no more yours than are the cursings and falsehoods of rioters in the street.

Jesus died for those who are guilty of “all manner of sin and blasphemy,” and I am therefore certain He will not refuse those who are unwillingly the captives of evil thoughts. Cast yourself upon Him, thoughts and all, and see if He is not mighty to save. He can still those horrible whisperings of the fiend, or He can enable you to see them in their true light, so that you may not be worried by them. In His own way He can and will save you, and at length give you perfect peace. Only trust Him for this and everything else.

As C. H. Spurgeon brilliantly implied, we might as well try to fight off a swarm of attacking bees with a sword than try to stop blasphemous thoughts from swarming in our minds. So fiercely does Satan hate every friend of God that he will only cease his attack when he is certain that we have seen through his devilish trick so completely that we are no longer tormented by it.

This will happen when we become convinced that although they are in our own head, the thoughts we hate are no more our responsibility than we are responsible for total strangers cursing God. Unwelcome blasphemies can do us no more harm than we would get thrown in jail for the crimes of Saddam Hussein. Yes, fallible human justice systems have sometimes caused the wrong person to be punished for a crime, but the Judge of all the world in perfect.

The Devil is like a tease. The more he sees that something is annoying you, the more he will keep it up. If he sees you unconcerned, however, he will lose interest in that method of attack.

And, as Charles Spurgeon and other devout Christians and Bible scholars affirm, you have every right to be unconcerned.

Moreover, if his every attempt to get us to blaspheme God ends in us praising and exalting God, the Devil is a loser. We cannot stop the Devil from shouting in our minds, but he is equally powerless to stop us from honoring and praising God.

Every time a blasphemous thought comes, use it as a reminder to immediately exalt the Lord by saying such things as:

Lord, you are good and do good. You are pure and holy; perfect in all your ways. You are worthy of all honor and praise. You are wise, generous, patient, kind, loving and forgiving. On the cross the Holy Son of God swapped places with me. You have removed my sin and given me Christ’s sinlessness. I am now “in Christ,” completely covered by his holiness, perfection and spiritual beauty. I praise you for being all-knowing. You know that the lies shouting in my head are not mine. My real thoughts are the opposite. I love you. I praise you. I adore you. I delight in you.

John Bunyan’s Battle with Blasphemous Thoughts,
Feeling Unforgivable, Reprobate and Demon Possessed

Condensed extracts in modern English from John Bunyan’s book, Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners

John Bunyan (1628-1688) was an English preacher who is now renowned as the author of the profoundly influential Christian book The Pilgrim’s Progress. The book has been translated into more than a hundred different languages and has sold more copies in more languages than any Christian book besides the Bible and more than any book of any description originally written in English.

Sin and corruption would as naturally bubble out of my heart as water would bubble out of a fountain. I thought that everyone had a better heart than I had. I would have exchanged hearts with anybody.
I thought no one but the devil himself could equal me for inward wickedness and pollution of mind. I concluded that this condition that I was in could not stand with a state of grace. Thought I, “Surely I am forsaken of God. Surely I am given up to the devil and a reprobate mind.”

First, all my comfort was taken from me; then darkness seized me; after which whole floods of blasphemies, both against God, Christ, and the Scriptures, were poured upon my spirit, to my great confusion and astonishment.
They did so overweigh my heart both with their number, continuance and fiery force that I felt as if there were nothing else but these from morning to night within me, and as though indeed there could be room for nothing else. I also concluded that God had, in wrath to my soul, given me up to them, to be carried away with them as with a mighty whirlwind.
Only by the distaste they gave to my spirit did I feel there was something in me that refused to embrace them.

While I was in this torment, I often found in my mind a sudden urge to curse and swear, or to speak some grievous thing against God, Christ His Son, or of the Scriptures. Now I thought, surely I am possessed of the devil. At other times, I thought I would lose my mind; for instead of praising and magnifying the Lord with others, if I but heard Him spoken of, presently some most horrible blasphemous thought or other would bolt out of my heart against Him. I concluded that such things could not possibly be found among those who loved God.

In these days, when I heard others talk of what the sin against the Holy Spirit was, then the tempter would so provoke me to desire to sin that particular sin that it was as if I could not, must not, neither would be quiet until I had committed it. Now no sin would serve but that one. If it were to be committed by the speaking of such a word, then it was if my mouth would have spoken that word, whether I would or not. In so strong a measure was this temptation upon me that often I have been ready to clap my hands under my chin to hold my mouth from opening.

Yes, gladly I would have been in the condition of a dog or horse, for I knew they had no soul to perish under the everlasting weight of hell or sin was mine as likely to do.

I could attend to none of the ordinances of God but with sore and great affliction; then I was most distressed with blasphemies. If I had been hearing the word of God, then uncleanness, blasphemies, and despair would hold me a captive there. If I was reading then sometimes I had sudden thoughts to question all I read.

Oh, the diligence of Satan! Oh, the desperateness of man’s heart! Now was the battle won, and down I fell, as a bird that is shot from the top of a tree, into great guilt and fearful despair. Now I was as one bound; I felt myself shut up into the judgment to come. Nothing for the next two years would abide with me but damnation and an expectation of damnation.

I did ever so know now what it was to be weary of my life and yet afraid to die. Oh, how gladly I would have been anybody but myself, anything but a man, and in any condition but my own. There was nothing that did cross my mind more frequently than that it was impossible for me to be forgiven my transgression and be saved from the wrath to come.

Please remember that the above was written by the man who broke through all this torment to bless multiplied millions of Christians.

So, I, and many other Christians have had to deal with the exact same repulsive thoughts from the devil. Here's some more pointers for dealing with them effectively :

If your car is stuck in mud, the worst thing you can do is give in to panic and rev the engine. To panic and try harder seems the natural thing to do, but the more you spin the wheels, the deeper you sink. You need to stop, calm down, and try a completely different approach, such as getting out of your car and putting rocks and branches under the wheels.

Trying to stop bad thoughts or images or guilt feelings or doubts, or expecting some sort of personal “sign” that Jesus really does forgive every sin, is like spinning the wheels. It feels the right thing to do, but it just makes you sink further. You need to calm down and try a very different approach.

Remind yourself that all Christians have horrid, out-of-character thoughts, but only some of us get so disturbed by them that our very desperation not to think them causes the thoughts to so stand out in our minds that they keep repeating like a spinning car tire.

Unwanted thoughts are like watching a horror movie. If we let ourselves get caught up with what we are viewing, we can imagine that we are so personally involved that we fill with terror. We need to step back and remind ourselves that we are safe and that it is only a movie. Don’t be shocked or depressed by the thoughts that come into your mind. They no more reveal the person you really are than a movie does. Don’t make the devil’s day by beating yourself up over them.

[Say the following out loud, firmly and calmly:]
In the name of Jesus I address any demonic powers that would seek to exploit any physical or psychological weakness I may have. I rebuke you and command you to leave! No matter how clever your attempted bluff, you have no power over me and I am spiritually safe because my faith is in the infinite saving power of the Lord Jesus. I cling to the Savior who promised never to leave me nor forsake me (Hebrews 13:5; John 6:37; 10:28-29). I refuse to be duped out of my Christ-bought rights. My faith is not in the presence or absence of guilt feelings, or some other quirky sign, but exclusively in the saving power of Jesus who died for the sins of the entire world. Evil spirits, you are defeated. The blood of Jesus cleanses me from all sin. And this is true, no matter what feelings or thoughts come upon me.

When you reach the point where you could not care less whether or not you are attacked by doubts, oppressive guilt feelings or spiritually repulsive thoughts, the attacks themselves will lessen. That’s a psychological fact.

Moreover it is a spiritual fact: when evil powers are thoroughly convinced that they can no longer use such things as unwanted thoughts to annoy you, or undermine your faith in Christ’s salvation, they will eventually begin to tire of that approach and only try it now and again, just to check that you have not reverted to being concerned by such attacks.

However, reducing the attacks is not the goal at all. That would be a meaningless victory. Anyone can be victorious when not attacked. The goal is to glorify God by believing in the power of Christ’s forgiveness, regardless of whether the attacks continue every few minutes or every day for the rest of your life.

The fact that you dislike the thoughts or images, proves they are not coming from your heart.

If, for example, it seems it is you who are swearing at God in your mind, it’s a trick. Tell yourself, “The devil is swearing at God and tempting me to think that God, the righteous, loving Judge, would unjustly hold me responsible for the devil’s sin.”

So no matter how despicable the words or images invading your mind are, YOU ARE NOT SINNING !!!

The Evil One’s dirtiest trick is to do something disgusting and then try to blame you and/or God for it. The all-knowing Lord isn’t fooled into blaming you for the devil’s underhanded attack, and neither need you be fooled.

Moreover, Jesus sympathizes with you, having himself suffered such attacks during his earthly life (Hebrews 2:18; 4:15). And because of Jesus, no one can snatch you out of God’s hand (John 10:29).

Here's some more really good news **** :

Just as we can’t stop the devil from being the devil, we can’t stop temptation from coming; we can only stop ourselves from being deceived by it.
So don’t bother trying to stop the unpleasant thoughts. Let them rage. Just try to stay relaxed and assured that Jesus understands. **** He responds to Christians having filth pumped into their minds as to Christians being tortured for their faith. Upon you is the blessing that Jesus pronounced on those who are persecuted. He sees you as a hero in the making. He is especially close and compassionate as you suffer this vile assault; this demonic persecution.

Profane and godless thoughts are whirling through your head not because you are sinful but for the very opposite.
You are under attack because hell’s hordes are panicking over the fact that the blood of Jesus declares you righteous.

All of Satan’s hordes hate and fear your status with God and some are trying their hardest to fool you into no longer believing in who Christ has exalted you to be in God’s eyes.

In their desperation, they are trying to dupe you into falling for the false logic that unwanted thoughts – or any genuine sin you repent of – could negate the power of the cross

We have noted that when assaulted by unwanted thoughts or feelings, our instinctive reaction is to panic and try hard to fight the thoughts, but doing so only sends the thoughts spinning more furiously around and around in our minds. Yes, fighting and/or fearing thoughts actually make them recur more often.

Life will grow more pleasant when you eventually manage to replace the old reaction of panicking and trying harder, with the much more effective habit of remaining UNCONCERNED by spiritual attacks.

Herein ends my post. It was probably way too long, rambling and disjointed, but I did my best. Hopefully anyone who has read even just a little bit of this 2 part post will be able to take comfort if the same spiritual attack happens to them.

I have had TOTAL VICTORY in Christ Jesus, just as He has promised to all of us that trust in Him. Satan put me through THE RINGER....... and HE LOST BIG TIME!!!!

All that loser succeeded in doing was cause me to draw ever closer to the Lord, to drink ever more from His living waters and cling to His AMAZING grace, peace, love and mercy.

When I, through the prompting of the Holy Spirit (praise Him exceedingly!!), learned to stop fighting the thoughts, to stop giving attention to satan the attention seeker, and instead look on Christ, it was then that the fiery darts of the enemy were extinguished! Oh yes, he still fires them from time to time, but they are few and far between.

My armor of God is on 24/7 and I have the victory. His attacks are not much more than a minor nuisance now. He likes to test me to see if I am going to look at the roaring waves for a second as I walk on the water towards Jesus, or if I am going to keep my gaze on Jesus only. And satan knows the answer to that one!

Jesus said MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT UNTO YOU.....please never forget that, whenever you are attacked by the enemy. NO MATTER WHAT, Jesus will NEVER FAIL US !!!

God bless you, in the mighty name of Jesus Christ!

Thank you to www.net-burst.net for some excerpts and other writings on the subject.

here's their disclaimer :
Not to be sold. © Copyright, 2004,
Grantley Morris. Not to be copied in whole or in part without citing this entire paragraph. Many more compassionate, inspiring, sometimes hilarious writings by Grantley Morris available free at the following internet site www.net-burst.net Freely you have received, freely give.

Why is this happening to me. It's been almost 3 years for me now, whatever John Bunyan went through. Why do some of us go through this. I'm locked up in my basement during this whole ordeal. I'm not expecting an answer but a consolation of some kind

Hi Romeo. I think the answer can be partly found in 1Co 10:13
"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

In other words, if it commonly happens to the lions of the faith, it can certainly happen to the rest of us.

But take comfort in the fact that NOTHING can ever separate us from the love of our Savior Jesus Christ. The enemy wants you to think otherwise, that's why he does the things he does.

If waves of fear and dread are overwhelming you, call out to Jesus and take his hand, and the waves will be calmed. :)

You're welcome Romeo. God will deliver you from this, in His good timing. And as an overcomer, your spiritual rewards coffer in heaven will be going Ka-Ching, Ka-Ching! ;) ;)