• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Why does God seem so different in the OT than in the NT

God has not changed at all. Surprised to see so many post by those that say they are Christians about this topic.

If he seems different to someone in the OT, that just means you need more revelation to help your understanding, but God told us he changes not. That statement alone should have been good enough.

Jesus changed our ability to have a relationship with God, and bridged that gap between us and God. It's not that God has changed, he made a way to give us light and the ability to understand who he really is.

Jesus Is Lord

Very good post, but it is probably too simple and uncomplicated for the religious person. Mainline Christianity's concept of God and His plan is much more intricate and complicated, so much so that the gospel of Christ is no longer just "good news".

Active

RJ

Very good post, but it is probably too simple and uncomplicated for the religious person. Mainline Christianity's concept of God and His plan is much more intricate and complicated, so much so that the gospel of Christ is no longer just "good news".

Well, that is a first, I have never heard that the gospel of Christ is no longer, just the good news! And I for one have always maintained that God never changes, that "he never changes", but between the Old Covenant and the one that we live under now, God has definitely changed his his approach with Man!

God changed his approach??

Eze 14:6 Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces (Taking action, a Work) from all your abominations.

Act 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

God has never changed his approach toward man, God has never changed at all.

There always had to be blood spilled for the breaking of a covenant. It use to be animals, but God gave the ultimate sacrifice. He gave Jesus. Because of that sacrifice, the laws of sin and death had a greater law above it. The Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus.

Something else happened.

1Jn 3:8
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Col 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
Col 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Satan's ability and authority has been taken from him. God has never changed his dealing with man though.

Col 1:10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

Deu 8:6 Therefore thou shalt keep the commandments of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to fear him.

Jiggyfly got it perfect:

too simple and uncomplicated for the religious person

My Pastor says it all the time. "That may be just to simple for some folks to accept, but were reading the scriptures, right??"

Jesus Is Lord

Well, that is a first, I have never heard that the gospel of Christ is no longer, just the good news! And I for one have always maintained that God never changes,

I don't think Jiggy meant to say that the Gospel is no longer good news, as in a free gift made available to us on Calvary. I think he's saying that moderrn day religion has wrapped the gift up in so many rules and regulations that it no longer looks like a true gift.

SLE

Active

RJ

God has not changed at all. Surprised to see so many post by those that say they are Christians about this topic.

If he seems different to someone in the OT, that just means you need more revelation to help your understanding, but God told us he changes not. That statement alone should have been good enough.

Jesus changed our ability to have a relationship with God, and bridged that gap between us and God. It's not that God has changed, he made a way to give us light and the ability to understand who he really is.

Jesus Is Lord

I have always maintained that God never changes, he is absolute perfection as always, but his reaction to or relationship to man has definitely changed with a new way in responding to his inequities with a new promise.

2 Corinthians 3:7-10 (New International Version, ©2010)

The Greater Glory of the New Covenant
7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory.

Hebrews 8:6 (New International Version, ©2010)

6 But in fact the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, since the new covenant is established on better promises.

2 Corinthians 3:6
(New International Version, ©2010)

6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

I know it was different eras, but God is unchanging. However, there's definitely a change in mood between the two testaments.

There's a difference between "unchanging" and "inflexible". God is indeed unchanging, but, He retains the flexibility to meet each situation as He deems appropriate.

SLE

Unchanging God.

God certainly never changed the way he had dealt with Man, It was always his will that we serve, obey, and be blessed.

I think what SpiritLedEd mentioned....(Flexibility) After Jesus, it Gave God a right and entrance to do with us as he always wanted... Call us his children.

Jesus Is Lord

You will find your story in Acts 5. Acts is considered an historical document and not meant to be viewed as doctrine.

How can there be a disconnect between historical reporting and doctrine here? The integrity of the church and its message was at stake and God had to deal with the situation quickly and decisively.

Ananias and Sapphira, in there on minds, were very much under the Law and had no concept of God's New Covenant Grace through Jesus Christ.

I think they both knew something of God's New Covenant Grace, but they were trying to pose as full-on disciples and hang on to the world at the same time.

Also,dying from fear perhaps, but there is no record that "God killed them", they both just simply dropped dead.

"Do not be afraid of those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can kill both soul and body in hell." (Mt 10:28 NIV)

i think the fact that they both fell dead in front of Peter when he confronted them with a word he'd received from the Lord about their behavior is a sign that God killed them.

If this act, in fact, happened after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the New Covenant (Promise, Contract) between God and man was in force. For that alone, God would not have punished them by killing them, their fate would come on judgement day.

If it happened before Christ's death and resurrection, why did Luke report it in the Acts of the Apostles? Why didn't He include it in his Gospel instead? As to how God punished them, again, He needed to deal with the situation quickly and decisively to protect the church and its message.

SLE

Last edited:
In the old testament ? He only told in part!
In the New Testament! He tells in fullness!
Jesus Is the NEW TESTAMENT , after He died on the cross!

Heb 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
Heb 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
Heb 9:17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

Heb 9:20 Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.

GOD though the new testament was now able to forgive Sins! But Only if we accepted it by faith in what JESUS CHRIST DID!

Then God is able to create us new beings out of us!
having forgiven all our sins forever more !

It only took One Sin to destroy this entire planet and everything on it 100%

It is not just about this planet! all of heaven is watching this take place!
God could not forgive the fallen angels , because they knew the price of even one sin! but mankind did not know the price they were paying for sin! adam had loved eve more than the LORD!
He picked her over Gods orders!

Adam and Eve were Never what we the new creation are Now!
He only visited them .Now He dwells in us!

we get the same type mind and nature !
Our spirit once Born of God , CANNOT SIN!

Our flesh part is not changed, Our our spirit man !

He wants us walking and living though the New Creature He makes the few willing!
Then the out ward man , will be under control of the inward man!

Our flesh man can still suffer for sins!
The price of sin is always death!
And if we repent? Then HE forgives! If we sin in our minds and do not repent? Then we could get illness in our bodies. even then, He had provided healing if we Obey?

It not so easy to repent ,when you loved the sins!
Better to not sin !
All sickness does not come from a person sinning!

we are All in a world that is defiled by sin 100% . sickness is all around us!
Germs we do not see!
This is a dying planet! Everything on it is messed up .defiled by sin!
dying!

Our bodies Do not have eternal life, this planet does not have eternal life! everything we see is dying!

Only thing here that has eternal life is our Spirit ,once Born of GOD!

No one in the old testament had eternal life! Some saw it in the future!

1Co 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.

Rom 9:8 That is, not the children of the flesh are children of God
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

2Co 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

GODS wrath has been building up a long time!
It going to come upon this planet very soon? I do not know when? But I know it will be the very worse time ever on this planet!
We need to be Born -again and ready to leave here before it takes place!

1Co 15:3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received, that Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures,
1Co 15:4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures;

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

WE Must accept HIS gospel as Truth and HIm into our heart [Spirit] as LORD and master!
We give everything we have and are to Him at salvation !

He wants nothing we have, But He must be LORD of all1
he is already. but we must agree and allow Him His proper place as LORD!

Active

RJ

God certainly never changed the way he had dealt with Man, It was always his will that we serve, obey, and be blessed.

I think what SpiritLedEd mentioned....(Flexibility) After Jesus, it Gave God a right and entrance to do with us as he always wanted... Call us his children.

Jesus Is Lord

Everyone has there own opinions based on something, here is mine on this subject:

Between the Old and New Testaments God demonstrates his change in his approach to man; here are some examples of that:

Blasphemy

Old
Leviticus 24:16

16 anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD is to be put to death. The entire assembly must stone them. Whether foreigner or native-born, when they blaspheme the Name they are to be put to death.

New
Luke 12:10

10 And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

Forgiveness

Old

Matthew 6:15

15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

New

Colossians 3:13

13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

Last edited:
Active

RJ

What were the commandments given by Jesus?

Here's certainly another one, Jesus even refers to it as a new commandment:

John 13:34

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

When we are genuinely being born again we become a new creature, the old man is gone.
Some think that the old man wrestles with the new man and whoever you feed the most is the one who wins. THAT'S FALSE!
We are a new creature that loathes sin ,the old man is completely gone, we do still sin because our new spirit is housed in a body of unredeemed flesh, but this doesn't mean we have to become idle in our struggle with sin. Mortification of sin is crucial and the Holy Spirit is the one who does in us.

Galatians 4:4-5
Regarding the main aspect of this topic, is that we have to look for Christ in every line of the Old Testament.
If Christ being removed from the Old Testament, if everything there is not a picture of Him then the OT is nothing but some moral stories.
The animal skins that covered our first parents, the Noah's ark, the ram caught in the bush by its horns, samson ripping down the gates, the altar the sacrifices, THAT ALL WAS CHRIST!

Last edited:
Active

RJ

When we are genuinely being born again we become a new creature, the old man is gone.
Some think that the old man wrestles with the new man and whoever you feed the most is the one who wins. THAT'S FALSE!
We are a new creature that loathes sin ,the old man is completely gone, we do still sin because our new spirit is housed in a body of unredeemed flesh, but this doesn't mean we have to become idle in our struggle with sin. Mortification of sin is crucial and the Holy Spirit is the one who does in us.

Galatians 4:4-5
Regarding the main aspect of this topic, is that we have to look for Christ in every line of the Old Testament.
If Christ being removed from the Old Testament, if everything there is not a picture of Him then the OT is nothing but some moral stories.
The animal skins that covered our first parents, the Noah's ark, the ram caught in the bush by its horns, samson ripping down the gates, the altar the sacrifices, THAT ALL WAS CHRIST!

Amen!
If you overlook that, you missed a lot about the Bible, because it is at the beginning, through the middle and to the end, that the Bible is all about Jesus Christ!

Happy Birthday Jesus!

Some think that the old man wrestles with the new man and whoever you feed the most is the one who wins. THAT'S FALSE! We are a new creature that loathes sin ,the old man is completely gone, we do still sin because our new spirit is housed in a body of unredeemed flesh, but this doesn't mean we have to become idle in our struggle with sin. Mortification of sin is crucial and the Holy Spirit is the one who does in us.

If the old man is completely gone when we're born again, we shouldn't have to battle temptation. The fact that we still deal with temptation shows that there's still a battle going on between the old man (our sin nature) and the new and that it is a matter of whoever you feed the most.

Salvation is both an event and a process. Look at Paul's struggle with the church at Corinth. 1 Cor 3 shows us the enormous problems those new believers had in breaking away from their old beliefs and habits. Yet, on the whole, they stuck with the process and grew to spiriual maturity individually and as a church.

SLE

Last edited:
Old man is our old spirit! It is NAILED to HIS cross! Gone forever more! Still Our flesh mind and body Still has it thoughts and desires!
The mind of the flesh man needs RENEWED !filled with GODS living word!

our flesh has carnal wants ,which we must control ,at least to some degree!

Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Eph 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

Col 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Our flesh still has the sin nature!
God put certain desires in our flesh part ,that are not evil1but it wants to go beyond that! we must control these desires the best we can?

this is the way i see it.No one has to see it the same way?
We can only live in the light we have!

Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

1Co 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Mat 5:17 ¶ Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed [the righteousness] of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Jer 17:23 But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction.

Neh 1:9 But [if] ye turn unto me, and keep my commandments, and do them; though there were of you cast out unto the uttermost part of the heaven, [yet] will I gather them from thence, and will bring them unto the place that I have chosen to set my name there.

Rom 11:30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:

Rom 11:31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.

Rom 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

Rom 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable [are] his judgments, and his ways past finding out!

Rom 11:34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?

Rom 11:35 Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?

Rom 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, [are] all things: to whom [be] glory for ever. Amen.

Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Eph 2:22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Rom 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit

Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Rom 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God:

2Co 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Gal 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

1Th 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. Eph 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

1Ti 1:14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

Rom 9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 5:5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

1Co 10:29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?

Rom 14:22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

Rom 14:14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

1Co 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1Co 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things,Heb 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Act 13:39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.
Joh 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Rom 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath:

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith

Heb 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

Rom 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Heb 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

Here's certainly another one, Jesus even refers to it as a new commandment:

John 13:34

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

That was indeed my point my friend. People mistakenly try to place the entire Old Covenant in place of what Jesus actually did command.

Here is another of His commandments:
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Active

RJ

That was indeed my point my friend. People mistakenly try to place the entire Old Covenant in place of what Jesus actually did command.

Here is another of His commandments:
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
[/QUOTE

Originally Posted by Boanerges
What were the commandments given by Jesus?

You asked Brother, I was simply complying, in part, to your request.

What "people" are you talking about and I don't understand your "entire Old Covenant" comment?

The peace of the Lord be with you!

Jesus writes HIS eternal laws in our heart ! LOVE and FAITH!

Rom 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

1Jn 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

2Ti 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

1Th 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

1Ti 1:14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

Rom 9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;