• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

When was Adam created

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

As a Young Earth Creationist many many decades ago, I remember the date of Adams creation was considered to be 4004 BC. But I see many things have changed over the years. I can't even find a general date of Adams creation. Would anyone be willing to tell me the generally accepted date now?
ThankYou

Active
As far as I know there is no generally accepted date. The scriptures don't go out of their way to pinpoint a time. So perhaps it's not something we need to trouble ourselves over so much

Active
Top Poster Of Month
The book of Genesis says that man was created on the 6th day of creation.

Book of Matthew , chapter 1 starts with the genealogy of Jesus Christ. vs 17 "So all the generations from Abraham to David are 14, from David until the captivity in Babylon are 14 and from the captivity in Babylon until the Christ are 14.

And back to Genesis 5: 1 is the start of the genealogy of Adam. He lived to be 930 yrs. vs 5 .

The people who know how to figure out how long a generation was back then , etc. it's been figured that the earth is between 6 - 10,000 yrs. old.

There are places in Genesis that say 'and in due time' something or other happened. so -- maybe it's not a matter of how old Adam and Eve were -- the time of their creation. But the fact Of their creation. Because of God being omniscient -- He knew from the beginning that the concept of evolution would come up. That people would be taught that man is only an extention of the animal world. But we Do have the fact Of man's creation separate From the animal world.

Doing a family tree from the beginning of people is very interesting. I did that many years ago. Quite complicated and I still have it 'somewhere'.

Loyal
Actually we don't have to guess. The years are counted out.

You can follow it all the way through.

Luke 3:23; When He began His ministry, Jesus Himself was about thirty years of age, being, as was supposed, the son of Joseph, the son of Eli,
Luke 3:24; the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, the son of Melchi, the son of Jannai, the son of Joseph,
Luke 3:25; the son of Mattathias, the son of Amos, the son of Nahum, the son of Hesli, the son of Naggai,
Luke 3:26; the son of Maath, the son of Mattathias, the son of Semein, the son of Josech, the son of Joda,
Luke 3:27; the son of Joanan, the son of Rhesa, the son of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel, the son of Neri,
Luke 3:28; the son of Melchi, the son of Addi, the son of Cosam, the son of Elmadam, the son of Er,
Luke 3:29; the son of Joshua, the son of Eliezer, the son of Jorim, the son of Matthat, the son of Levi,
Luke 3:30; the son of Simeon, the son of Judah, the son of Joseph, the son of Jonam, the son of Eliakim,
Luke 3:31; the son of Melea, the son of Menna, the son of Mattatha, the son of Nathan, the son of David,
Luke 3:32; the son of Jesse, the son of Obed, the son of Boaz, the son of Salmon, the son of Nahshon,
Luke 3:33; the son of Amminadab, the son of Admin, the son of Ram, the son of Hezron, the son of Perez, the son of Judah,
Luke 3:34; the son of Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham, the son of Terah, the son of Nahor,
Luke 3:35; the son of Serug, the son of Reu, the son of Peleg, the son of Heber, the son of Shelah,
Luke 3:36; the son of Cainan, the son of Arphaxad, the son of Shem, the son of Noah, the son of Lamech,
Luke 3:37; the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch, the son of Jared, the son of Mahalaleel, the son of Cainan,
Luke 3:38; the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.

Gen 5:5 So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years, and he died.
Gen 5:8 So all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years, and he died.

Now obviously you have to figure how old Adam was when Seth was born.

Gen 5:3; When Adam had lived one hundred and thirty years, he became the father of a son in his own likeness, according to his image, and named him Seth.
Gen 5:4; Then the days of Adam after he became the father of Seth were eight hundred years, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 5:6; Seth lived one hundred and five years, and became the father of Enosh.

Gen 5:9; Enosh lived ninety years, and became the father of Kenan.
Gen 5:10; Then Enosh lived eight hundred and fifteen years after he became the father of Kenan, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 5:11; So all the days of Enosh were nine hundred and five years, and he died.

We know exactly how many years were between Adam and Abraham according to the Bible.
We know exactly how many years were between Abraham and David.

Gen 21:5; Now Abraham was one hundred years old when his son Isaac was born to him.
Gen 25:7 These are all the years of Abraham's life that he lived, one hundred and seventy-five years.

Gal 3:17; What I am saying is this: the Law, which came four hundred and thirty years later, does not invalidate a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to nullify the promise.
There were 430 years between Abrahams's promise and Moses receiving the Law

There are dates, years and hints all through the Bible. There is no where you actually have to guess. This is well documented on many Bible sites.

It isn't always quite this obvious.. sometimes someone was born 10 years after a certain person became King. That same person died 32 years after the
king lost his kingdom. But it's all there.

Gen 5:5; So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years, and he died.
Gen 5:8; So all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years, and he died.
Gen 5:11; So all the days of Enosh were nine hundred and five years, and he died.
Gen 5:14; So all the days of Kenan were nine hundred and ten years, and he died.
Gen 5:17; So all the days of Mahalalel were eight hundred and ninety-five years, and he died.
Gen 5:20; So all the days of Jared were nine hundred and sixty-two years, and he died.
Gen 5:27; So all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred and sixty-nine years, and he died.
Gen 5:31; So all the days of Lamech were seven hundred and seventy-seven years, and he died.
Gen 9:29; So all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years, and he died.
Gen 11:32; The days of Terah were two hundred and five years; and Terah died in Haran.
Gen 25:17; These are the years of the life of Ishmael, one hundred and thirty-seven years; and he breathed his last and died, and was gathered to his people.
Gen 50:26; So Joseph died at the age of one hundred and ten years; and he was embalmed and placed in a coffin in Egypt.

The Bible also tells us how old each one of these people were when their son was born.

Gen 5:3; When Adam had lived one hundred and thirty years, he became the father of a son in his own likeness, according to his image, and named him Seth.
Gen 5:4; Then the days of Adam after he became the father of Seth were eight hundred years, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 5:6; Seth lived one hundred and five years, and became the father of Enosh.
Gen 5:7; Then Seth lived eight hundred and seven years after he became the father of Enosh, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 5:9; Enosh lived ninety years, and became the father of Kenan.
Gen 5:10; Then Enosh lived eight hundred and fifteen years after he became the father of Kenan, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 5:12; Kenan lived seventy years, and became the father of Mahalalel.
Gen 5:13; Then Kenan lived eight hundred and forty years after he became the father of Mahalalel, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 5:15; Mahalalel lived sixty-five years, and became the father of Jared.
Gen 5:16; Then Mahalalel lived eight hundred and thirty years after he became the father of Jared, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 5:18; Jared lived one hundred and sixty-two years, and became the father of Enoch.
Gen 5:19; Then Jared lived eight hundred years after he became the father of Enoch, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 5:21; Enoch lived sixty-five years, and became the father of Methuselah.
Gen 5:22; Then Enoch walked with God three hundred years after he became the father of Methuselah, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 5:25; Methuselah lived one hundred and eighty-seven years, and became the father of Lamech.
Gen 5:26; Then Methuselah lived seven hundred and eighty-two years after he became the father of Lamech, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 5:28; Lamech lived one hundred and eighty-two years, and became the father of a son.
Gen 5:30; Then Lamech lived five hundred and ninety-five years after he became the father of Noah, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 5:32; Noah was five hundred years old, and Noah became the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Gen 11:11; and Shem lived five hundred years after he became the father of Arpachshad, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 11:12; Arpachshad lived thirty-five years, and became the father of Shelah;
Gen 11:13; and Arpachshad lived four hundred and three years after he became the father of Shelah, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 11:14; Shelah lived thirty years, and became the father of Eber;
Gen 11:15; and Shelah lived four hundred and three years after he became the father of Eber, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 11:16; Eber lived thirty-four years, and became the father of Peleg;
Gen 11:17; and Eber lived four hundred and thirty years after he became the father of Peleg, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 11:18; Peleg lived thirty years, and became the father of Reu;
Gen 11:19; and Peleg lived two hundred and nine years after he became the father of Reu, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 11:20; Reu lived thirty-two years, and became the father of Serug;
Gen 11:21; and Reu lived two hundred and seven years after he became the father of Serug, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 11:22; Serug lived thirty years, and became the father of Nahor;
Gen 11:23; and Serug lived two hundred years after he became the father of Nahor, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 11:24; Nahor lived twenty-nine years, and became the father of Terah;
Gen 11:25; and Nahor lived one hundred and nineteen years after he became the father of Terah, and he had other sons and daughters.
Gen 11:26; Terah lived seventy years, and became the father of Abram, Nahor and Haran.

The rest gets a little harder, but it's there if you know where to look.

Gen 47:28; Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years; so the length of Jacob's life was one hundred and forty-seven years.
Gen 50:26; So Joseph died at the age of one hundred and ten years; and he was embalmed and placed in a coffin in Egypt.
2 Sam 5:4; David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years.

Thank you for your responses. I hate to admit this but the answers are way over my head. Am I supposed to add up all the years and then subtract them from what year? I have a feeling the answer is not going to be 4004 BC like it used be.

Active
Top Poster Of Month
Does it really matter the year Adam and Eve were created. The Important Fact is that they were created. But not 30 million years ago. Lots of Bible dates Are approximate.

Loyal
Thank you for your responses. I hate to admit this but the answers are way over my head. Am I supposed to add up all the years and then subtract them from what year? I have a feeling the answer is not going to be 4004 BC like it used be.
Greetings @miker88

My question would be, does it really matter? Jesus died for our sins, he took our sins on the cross, He shed His blood so that we can be saved, so that we can inherit the promises, so that we can go to Heaven and be with Him forever.

A day to the Lord is like a thousand years, and even that is nothing to Eternity with Him.

Let it go over your head, just make sure you are ready for Jesus return, it would be sad if He went over our heads.

Watch and be ready Jesus is coming soon.

Loyal
Well, I for one think it's a great question and an important one. It matter because atheists use these verses against the young Earth to discredit the Bible and Christianity in general.
Also if we go around saying don't worry about anything. All you need to know is that you're saved. I disagree with this also.
In that case why even have a TalkJesus, or discussions about homosexuality, new heavens and new earths, Roman Catholic beliefs, or anything else.

Loyal
It is roughly 4000 BC. The timeline up to Daniel is spelled out by adding the age of how old people were when they had children.
There were over 400 years between the New Testament and the Old testaments. We do have the apocryphal books to use for dates as well.
One of the key figures in Daniel was Nebuchadnezzar II ( 634BC - 562 BC) the dates of his life all within a few years depending on whether you believe Encyclopedia Britannica or Wikipedia.
He is one of the first major people in secular history that there is quite a bit of information about.

There is also some discrepancy between who was the Pharaoh in Egypt when Moses was there. The two most popular opinions are Thutmose II or Ramses II.
There was no year 0 (zero) but jumped from 1BC to 1AD. It is now almost 2020. That puts Adam about 6035 years ago give or take.

Keep in mind the age on mankind is not necessarily the age of the Earth.

Gen 1:1; In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Gen 1:2; The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.

There could be millions of years between verses 2 and 3 here.
Some people believe dinosaurs and "human-like" beings may have existed during this time.

Gen 1:3; Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
Gen 1:4; God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.
Gen 1:5; God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.
Gen 1:6; Then God said, "Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters."
Gen 1:7; God made the expanse, and separated the waters which were below the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse; and it was so.
Gen 1:8; God called the expanse heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.

It may be that God did the rest of creation in 6 literal days. I don't know. Some people take verses like this...

2 Pet 3:8; But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day.

This is often taken metaphorically as time has very little meaning to God. A billion years are nothing to Him.
But on the other hand if we take this verse literally, and the Earth was created in 6 "days", we could add another 6 thousand years to the timeline.

Loyal
Well, I for one think it's a great question and an important one. It matter because atheists use these verses against the young Earth to discredit the Bible and Christianity in general.
Also if we go around saying don't worry about anything. All you need to know is that you're saved. I disagree with this also.
In that case why even have a TalkJesus, or discussions about homosexuality, new heavens and new earths, Roman Catholic beliefs, or anything else.

Good point brother.

2 Pet 3:8; But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day.

This is often taken metaphorically as time has very little meaning to God. A billion years are nothing to Him.
But on the other hand if we take this verse literally, and the Earth was created in 6 "days", we could add another 6 thousand years to the timeline.

Regarding the day being like 1000 years it is also quoted here, I am sure Peter had this in mind when he wrote 2 Peter 3:8

Psalm 90:4
For a thousand years in Your sight Are like yesterday when it is past, And like a watch in the night.

I used a different search engine and got a shortcut to Wikipedia .org which had an abundance of further information on this topic.
There it said that Young Earth creationists dated man back to 6000 to 10,000 years ago which Gallup says that 38% of adults believe in this date.
Dozens of historians believe that Old Earth creationists date the time of Adam to thousands or millions of years ago.

Active
Top Poster Of Month
@miker88 -- that's because it's more popular to be a theistic evolutionist. IF a person takes each day of creation as being '1,000' years as opposed to a literal 24 hr day - then you run into a problem with the 7th day being a Sabbath day, Because that Sabbath would be another 1,000 yrs. And you'd also have a problem with the Ten Commandments -- #4 to be exact. "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. vs 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: ....... vs 11 "For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. "

And the Old Earth creationists aren't really creationists -- the thousands or millions of years ago fits very nicely With evolution. They simply fit God in 'somewhere' -- like the Grandfatherly Old Man who had Just enough energy to get this world going and Then just let it 'run' itself. And He's been sitting in His heavenly rocking chair ever since. And that is Not the picture of God that the Bible presents.

Loyal
It is roughly 4000 BC. The timeline up to Daniel is spelled out by adding the age of how old people were when they had children.
There were over 400 years between the New Testament and the Old testaments. We do have the apocryphal books to use for dates as well.
One of the key figures in Daniel was Nebuchadnezzar II ( 634BC - 562 BC) the dates of his life all within a few years depending on whether you believe Encyclopedia Britannica or Wikipedia.
He is one of the first major people in secular history that there is quite a bit of information about.

There is also some discrepancy between who was the Pharaoh in Egypt when Moses was there. The two most popular opinions are Thutmose II or Ramses II.
There was no year 0 (zero) but jumped from 1BC to 1AD. It is now almost 2020. That puts Adam about 6035 years ago give or take.

Keep in mind the age on mankind is not necessarily the age of the Earth.

Gen 1:1; In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Gen 1:2; The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.

There could be millions of years between verses 2 and 3 here.
Some people believe dinosaurs and "human-like" beings may have existed during this time.

Gen 1:3; Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
Gen 1:4; God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.
Gen 1:5; God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.
Gen 1:6; Then God said, "Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters."
Gen 1:7; God made the expanse, and separated the waters which were below the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse; and it was so.
Gen 1:8; God called the expanse heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.

It may be that God did the rest of creation in 6 literal days. I don't know. Some people take verses like this...

This I feel is a far better explanation of the time periods by brother B-A-C

Active
Top Poster Of Month
@B-A-C -- "There Could be missions of years between verses 2 and 3 here" -- actually it's the Gap theory that is thought to be between vs 1 and 2.

And Actually -- it Could as well be that vs 2 is simply stating what the earth was like Before God did anything. And He continues to tell exactly what Did happen.

A Lot of things Could have happened. But Scripture doesn't actually Say anything Did happen.

It was Probably that dinasaurs were created at the same time as all the other land animals.

Loyal
@B-A-C -- "There Could be missions of years between verses 2 and 3 here" -- actually it's the Gap theory that is thought to be between vs 1 and 2.

And Actually -- it Could as well be that vs 2 is simply stating what the earth was like Before God did anything. And He continues to tell exactly what Did happen.

A Lot of things Could have happened. But Scripture doesn't actually Say anything Did happen.

It was Probably that dinasaurs were created at the same time as all the other land animals.

The gap theory is an interesting one. I am a bit baffled by the statement, what the earth was like Before God did anything, but God created all things.

Could it be that God created the formless earth, the waters were over the deep, the dinosaurs etc lived in that period, the gap period. Gradually they became extinct, fossils are found in rocks would mean great earth quakes. We are told when Christ returns there will be a great earth quake such as never been since the [initial] creation of the earth.

The land animals were created around the time of Adam and Eve. Although not like the prehistoric animals, we are given a level, balanced in nature, e.g. dog eats cat, cat eats bird, bird eats worm etc. From the elephant and lion downwards he created them, and Noah saved two of each.

Active
Top Poster Of Month
Yes, you're right -- "In the beginning God created......" So there was no 'before God did anything'.

The Gap theory is just that -- a theory that people have come up with to try to fit evolution into the history of the world.

There is Also the fact of the world-wide flood which produced the fossils that scientist have found. That flood turned the earth inside-out.

As a Young Earth Creationist many many decades ago, I remember the date of Adams creation was considered to be 4004 BC. But I see many things have changed over the years. I can't even find a general date of Adams creation. Would anyone be willing to tell me the generally accepted date now?
ThankYou
Why right after the Lord God called creation into form!

There is a difference in the two men/Adams that God created, one of them was created and one of them was formed. The two Adams are designated differently in the Hebrew manuscripts. Anyone with a Green’s Literal Translation can check this out. In the book of Genesis 1:26 the man created here was mankind in general. Here is where God created the different gentile races of peoples. Anyone knows that one couple could not be the mother and father of all the different races. God loves all His different races of children. Not only did God say they were good, but very good. God told these people to basically fish and hunt to live off the land. Nothing has been said about tilling the ground at this point. These people were hunters and fishers. This was the end of the sixth day.

The Adam here in Gen 1:26 is mankind in general and THE MAN ADAM, FORMED in Gem 2:7 was the special man that God had formed to be the seed line that the Christ would be born unto. This Adam is designated in the Hebrew manuscripts like this. (Eth Ha Adam). This name pin points this special man formed by God. Not just Adam , meaning mankind in general.

God then rested on the seventh day from all His works.

God wakes up on the morning of the eighth day and is eager to get back to work. Gen 2:5. For the LORD GOD had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and THERE WAS NOT A MAN TO TILL THE GROUND. Now this the eighth day and God has not made a man for the purpose of tilling the ground. Gen 2:7 And the LORD GOD FORMED MAN of the dust of the ground, Gen 2:8 God puts this man whom He had FORMED in the Garden of Eden and refers to him as, THE MAN.

THE MAN later being named Adam = (Eth Ha Adam), as designated in the Hebrew manuscripts. Again, this was a special man FORMED by God, and later God taking a rib/curve, may even say the helical curve of DNA, from Adam and making him a special woman. This special couple will be the family that the Christ will be born through upon the earth, many generations down through time, umbilical cord to umbilical cord. To know this info is knocking on the door of, THE KEY OF DAVID. Not many have a clue what the KEY OF DAVID is all about.

AGAIN, THE MAN, ADAM, is designated in the Hebrew manuscripts this way, (ETH HA ADAM), THE SPECIAL MAN FORMED BY GOD AND HIS HELP MATE EVE, FOR THE PURPOSE OF BIRTHING CHRIST UPON THIS EARTH.

Loyal
Yes, you're right -- "In the beginning God created......" So there was no 'before God did anything'.

The Gap theory is just that -- a theory that people have come up with to try to fit evolution into the history of the world.

There is Also the fact of the world-wide flood which produced the fossils that scientist have found. That flood turned the earth inside-out.

And Jesus turns the world the right way up.

Praise the Lord.

Active
Top Poster Of Month
@Beresheet

Yes, in Genesis 1: 26 we Do have man being created. So we Also now know that man did Not evolve from any thing. He was created by God / Us ( signifying trinity) And woman was also created, but from a rib taken from Adam. So Now we know that Adam was created by God from the dust of the earth and the breath of life was breathed into Adam and , thus, became a living soul. chapter 2, vs 7 is simply an explanation the how he was created. It's Not another man being formed.

Adam and Eve were the first parents as we find in chapter 4 when Eve gave birth to Cain.

We Also read that the different races and languages originated at the Tower of Babel in chapter 11 of Genesis -- vs 1 says that the whole earth had one language and one speech. vs 7 & 8 tells how and why.

Adam and Eve were given DNA by God -- that was passed on the same way DNA is passed on today -- through parents to the next generation. So -- when the flood occurred -- Noah and his wife and family continued the human race with the DNA from way back with Adam and Eve.

The line of Christ got started through Jacob and his 4 different wives over the years. Jacob had the 12 sons and one daughter. But the 12 sons became the 12 tribes of Israel because Jacobs name was changed To Israel. One of the sons' names was Judah // Jews // and over time -- Jesus Christ came into this world.

If a single person could be designated as the original man -- other than Adam or Noah and his family being an extention OF-- it would be Abram when he was called by God to leave his homeland and go to the promised land. He and Sarah would be the great-grandparents Of. Jacob ?! And Jacob fathered Judah and so on. And eventually we have the birth of Jesus Christ in the New Testament. A Lot of history takes place between those events.