• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

What exactly is "being saved" referring to?

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. " Matthew7:21

Although we are saved, we are still sinning by day and confessing by night, we are still not doing the will of our Father in heaven.

But Paul said, "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Romans10:10

So, What exactly is "being saved" referring to?

Loyal
Another often debated subject....

Being saved is a difficult subject to build on one or two verses.

Matt 10:22; Matt 24:13; Mark 13:13; all say " he who endures to the end" will be saved.
Endures what? The end of what?

Matt 1616; says you must believe and be baptized to be saved.

Luke 7:50; says "your" faith has saved you. ( notice it's not God's faith).

In the parable of the sower ( Luke 8) it says the devil takes away the Word of God from their heart,
so that they will not believe and be saved.
This goes with faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.
So this could be taken to mean you have to believe.. and have the Word of God in your heart to be saved.

In Luke 13; someone asked Jesus... "are just a few going to be saved?"
He talks about the narrow door, He says MANY will seek to enter, but will not be able.
In verse 26 Jesus says they will say... didn't we eat and drink in your presence? Didn't we sit
and listen to your teachings?
In verse 27.. Jesus says depart from me all you evil doers.
Faith isn't only what you say you believe, faith is your actions that prove what you believe.
Being a hearer only is useless. ( Rom 2:13; James 1:22; )

Then there is the often quoted John 3:16-17;
Whoever believes in Him... again, what does believing in Jesus mean?
verse 17 says .. that the world "might" be saved through Him.

In John 10:7-9; Jesus says He is the door of the sheep. (Some Bibles say "gate"). Jesus says if anyone enters
through Me (the door).. he will be saved.

Acts 4:12; says we can't be saved by anyone else except Jesus.

Acts 15:11; says we are saved by grace.

Acts 16:30-31; also talk about Believing in the Lord Jesus to be saved.

Romans 5:9-10; say the blood of Jesus saves us.

Rom 10:9; says that you have to confess with your mouth.. that Jesus is Lord. ... and ...
you have to believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead.... to be saved.

This concept of Jesus being Lord.. (master, king, etc... ) over our self will escapes many who read this verse.

1 Cor 15:1-2; says it is the Gospel (which you received) in which you are saved ... "IF" you hold fast to it.

1 Thess 2:16; says you have to receive "the love of the truth" to be saved.
2 Thess 2:10; says people who didn't receive "the love of the truth: were not saved.

Titus 3:5; says we aren't saved by works... but by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit
(I just posted a whole thread on this about the Holy Spirit a few days ago)

Finally 1 Pet 4:18; says it is with difficulty that even the righteous are saved.

The word "salvation" comes from the word "saved". Chad just posted some threads
about working out your "salvation" with fear and trembling...
and another about "unhealthy faith".

But there are many many verses that say.. believing alone doesn't save us.
(You already mentioned Matt 7:21; but there are others like James 2:14; and James 2:17; )
also verses like Rom 2:13; and James 1:22;
the Bible says even the demons believe. So why aren't they saved?

The Bible talks about the 5 virgins that ran out of oil.
It also mentions the trees that bear good fruit, bad fruit.. and no fruit at all.
(the tree that bears no fruit suffers the same fate as the tree that bears bad fruit).

Loyal
Another point of view on this is how you view your salvation...
Some believe that we are already saved .. as in past tense.

Most Pentecostals and Evangelicals view this as ... present and future tense...
We are in the act of being saved... or we will be saved...
Luke 13:23; Acts 2:47; 1 Cor 1:18; 2 Cor 2:15; all say ... "being saved" ... as in the act of being saved.
Matt 10:22; Matt 24:13; Mark 13:13; Luke 8:12; John 10:9; etc... all use the phrase "will be saved" .. as in future tense..
most of these verses have a a condition attached... (i.e. He that overcomes... "will" be saved)
If you haven't overcome yet... you are still in the process of being saved.

Not everyone agrees with this point of view... certainly not most Calvinist/Baptist's.

Yet others believe you are saved by rituals... some Lutherans and Roman Catholics (perhaps others also)
Believe you are saved by being baptized as an infant ( usually when you are less than a few months old ).
... and then being "confirmed" as a believer (this is called confirmation) once you reach the age of
accountability (usually Jr High or High School age). Sometimes you have a "mentor", but it's been my
experience that all mentors don't mentor in the same way. Some will ask you Bible questions, and pray with you.
Others will take you out to a ball game or a movie, and never mention anything about Jesus to you.
Yet in the end... both types are confirmed.... simply because the church acknowledges you are "confirmed".

Active
It's not complicated. God puts in your heart the ability to understand how His love works. The Bible teaches these things. If you would like verses for any of this, message me, I will be glad to cover any questions. I will try to add verses once I'm done with things I'm preoccupied with.

Being saved is knowing you need God, and coming to him in remorse for your sin and evil ways. Yes, we will always sin, but there is a difference between not caring what God wants, and trying not to sin and asking forgiveness and confessing to him that you have done wrong and don't want to.

It's a turning of the heart from that which is wicked, turning from indulging in evil, to seeking God and wanting to change. Knowing we cannot be good in ourselves we need God. And so we need Jesus and His sacrifice to forgive our sins.

God does not send you to Hell for committing a sin and not asking forgiveness in time before you crash your car and find sudden death.

He looks into your heart to see your true intentions. A heart of remorse for doing evil, that wants to seek and please God is a soul saved by God. God will hold you up if you look to Him and love Him with all your heart and try to please Him.

What's in your heart determines whether you are saved, for God does not need to be told what's in your heart. He knows your true desires and intentions.

Active

Being saved is having the Spirit of God regenerate your heart, translating you into the kingdom of light from the domain of darkness.

Being saved is becoming a new creature.

Simon the sorcerer believed he believed in his heart that Jesus Christ is Lord. Others thought so too. He confessed with his mouth, but his heart was still unregenerate.

Those who have been born again run the race. If you're not running the race, it's downright impossible to have any confidence you are a child of God. Run run run the race, this life is just a shimmer in time compared to eternity with the King of kings and Lord of lords.

Blessings,

Travis

Loyal

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. " Matthew7:21

Although we are saved, we are still sinning by day and confessing by night, we are still not doing the will of our Father in heaven.

But Paul said, "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Romans10:10

@jennifer - BAC gave a good explanation. Basically, the Bible teaches that we have been saved (past), that we are being saved (present continuous), and that we will be saved (future) when Christ returns. When we come to faith in Jesus Christ, we enter into a marriage relationship with Christ, only more like a Jewish engagement of old which was as binding as a marriage, but was not consummated until sometime later, after the groom had made a home for his new bride. Our marriage with Christ will not be consummated until he returns, so we are in an engagement period with Christ, but just as binding as a marriage relationship, i.e. when we come to faith in Jesus Christ, we put our old lives behind us, we are regenerated of the Spirit of God to new lives in Christ Jesus, and we now walk in the Spirit by faith. We die with Christ to sin, and we live with Christ to righteousness. We daily take up our cross and follow Christ, and we continually are putting sin to death in our lives by the Spirit (See: Lu. 9:23-25; Jn. 6:35-66; 10:27-30; Ac. 26:16-18; Ro. 6:1-23; 8:1-14; 2 Co. 5:15; Gal. 2:20; Eph. 2:8-10; 4:17-24; Tit. 2:11-14; 1 Pet. 2:24-25; & 1 Jn. 1:5-9). Our Lord is transforming us into the image of Christ, and he is making us holy. It is a process, which some people call "sanctification." It is the working of the Spirit of God in our lives, and not of our own flesh, yet we must cooperate with God's work of grace in our lives, i.e. we are not puppets on a string.

When John 3:16 says "whoever believes in him has eternal life," the verb is actually "believing," which is present tense, meaning we are not saved (past) and then we go to heaven when we die no matter what happens in between. We must keep on believing in Christ, and that belief entails repentance and obedience to Christ and his commands. I don't believe scripture teaches that we must live in sinless perfection, otherwise Christ would not have had to die if we could do that, but it does teach that if we say we have fellowship with God, but we walk (conduct our lives) in darkness (sin, wickedness), that we are liars and the truth is not in us (1 Jn. 1:6). Jesus said that we must lose our lives (die to sin) if we want to have eternal life (Lu. 9:23-25). Paul said that if we persist in conducting our lives according to the flesh, we will die, but if by the Spirit we put to death the deeds of the flesh, we will live (See: Ro. 8:1-14). There are plenty of scriptures which teach that we must endure to the end, and we must keep the faith, and we must be overcomers if we want to have eternal life with God (See: John 8:31-32; Romans 11:17-24; I Co 15:2; Col 1:21-23; II Tim 2:10-13; Hebrews 3:6, 14-15; 2 Pet. 1:5-11; I John 2:24-25; Rev. 2-3). Some people would call this works-based salvation, but it is not, because these are not fleshly works that we do to earn salvation, but they are works of the Spirit with which we cooperate in a love response to what Jesus Christ did in dying on the cross for our sins.

Loyal
It's not complicated. God puts in your heart the ability to understand how His love works. The Bible teaches these things. If you would like verses for any of this, message me, I will be glad to cover any questions. I will try to add verses once I'm done with things I'm preoccupied with.

Being saved is knowing you need God, and coming to him in remorse for your sin and evil ways. Yes, we will always sin, but there is a difference between not caring what God wants, and trying not to sin and asking forgiveness and confessing to him that you have done wrong and don't want to.

It's a turning of the heart from that which is wicked, turning from indulging in evil, to seeking God and wanting to change. Knowing we cannot be good in ourselves we need God. And so we need Jesus and His sacrifice to forgive our sins.

God does not send you to Hell for committing a sin and not asking forgiveness in time before you crash your car and find sudden death.

He looks into your heart to see your true intentions. A heart of remorse for doing evil, that wants to seek and please God is a soul saved by God. God will hold you up if you look to Him and love Him with all your heart and try to please Him.

What's in your heart determines whether you are saved, for God does not need to be told what's in your heart. He knows your true desires and intentions.

Actually there is ONE reason and one reason only that any one goes to hell. It is rejecting Jesus. If one does not make Jesus Lord of their life then - there is no way to spend eternity with the Father.

Also Yes Jesus knows the heart but good intentions get you no place. Yes God will look at your motive for doing something - this however does not save you or get you into heaven.
Blessings
Jim

Loyal

Hi Jennifer,
Let me explain this in a much easier to understand way !!
Scripture tells us we are all born into sin and we can thank Adam for that !!
Scripture tells us there is one way to the Father and that is Jesus Christ.

Being born again is being saved from the life ort path you are born into. Another words being saved is simply making Jesus Christ the Lord of your life.
Then your sins are forgiven and remembered no more as far as the east is from the west.
You or your old self then has died on the cross with Jesus - You are born anew by incorruptible seed the ever living word of God and God has placed His spirit in you.

Now you begin to learn to live as Go0d created us to live and DWELL in Grace.
Blessings
Jim

Active
Also Yes Jesus knows the heart but good intentions get you no place. Yes God will look at your motive for doing something - this however does not save you or get you into heaven.

I agree, Faith in Jesus is the only way you are saved. I have one intention myself, that is to stay out of God's way and let the Holy Spirit do what only He can do. (John 6:44) I want to explain they need God, and get them reading HIS Word. My words are nothing, unless they are what He is saying.

Though "The path to Hell is paved with good intentions" may be true because Faith in Jesus is what saves a person, your faith in Christ is made whole by your works, and your works are the direct product of your intention. To tell someone their intentions have no bearing just doesn't sit right in my logic chair, for then what should they do for Christ?

They should intend to do well for God. Intentions make a tremendous bearing on a person and who they become, and the fruit they bear for God. The philosophical (common sense) sayings are only true within their given context.

If one has intentions to do good, and they are true, then God will help that person. Jesus is for us, not against us. (Romans 14:4) Though many are condemned by men by outward appearance, God looks on the heart, and He knows our "intent".. (1 Samuel 16:7) If that person intends to do well, and trusts in Jesus as their personal Savior(which we agree on surely), then He will be upheld by God's righteous right hand.

James 2:18

18Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Loyal

I agree, Faith in Jesus is the only way you are saved. I have one intention myself, that is to stay out of God's way and let the Holy Spirit do what only He can do. (John 6:44) I want to explain they need God, and get them reading HIS Word. My words are nothing, unless they are what He is saying.

Though "The path to Hell is paved with good intentions" may be true because Faith in Jesus is what saves a person, your faith in Christ is made whole by your works, and your works are the direct product of your intention. To tell someone their intentions have no bearing just doesn't sit right in my logic chair, for then what should they do for Christ?

They should intend to do well for God. Intentions make a tremendous bearing on a person and who they become, and the fruit they bear for God. The philosophical (common sense) sayings are only true within their given context.

If one has intentions to do good, and they are true, then God will help that person. Jesus is for us, not against us. (Romans 14:4) Though many are condemned by men by outward appearance, God looks on the heart, and He knows our "intent".. (1 Samuel 16:7) If that person intends to do well, and trusts in Jesus as their personal Savior(which we agree on surely), then He will be upheld by God's righteous right hand.

James 2:18

18Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
Hello Ceptor,
I agree we all should have good intentions - where I get a little concerned is when I hear people saying things well God knows my intentions and I really did not mean to get drunk and expect their good intention to make a difference. Not so - truth is you simply made the choice to drink - taking the first drink is what got you to the state of being drunk.. you are responsible for this action.

Good intentions or a thing intended; an aim or plan. Which is good if it is followed through with - I had a good intention to tell that man I was wrong and I want to make things right - but you know how it is - he is way across town and man my buds are the other way.....so maybe tomorrow - 17 years later it still is not done but hey I had good intentions...

I think a much better plan ( now this is me here - this proves to work better for me ) That is make a quality choice and carry it through.

we may say I have good intentions in my heart to walk in His way and forgive so and so - so since God knows my good intentions then He will honor this or help or make it all work out........That can be a big iffy place to dwell. Faith with out works is dead.......Faith always requires a corresponding action.........so how much more then would good intentions Require an action or attempt ?!! To Follow through.

Blessings
Jim

Active
where I get a little concerned is when I hear people saying things well God knows my intentions and I really did not mean to get drunk and expect their good intention to make a difference. Not so - truth is you simply made the choice to drink - taking the first drink is what got you to the state of being drunk.. you are responsible for this action.

Very much agreed! But to put a new lens of perspective in the viewing scope, is that a good intention? Or is that self-deceit / playing coy with God??

we may say I have good intentions in my heart to walk in His way and forgive so and so - so since God knows my good intentions then He will honor this or help or make it all work out........That can be a big iffy place to dwell.

Again, sounds like we agree completely. The question is if the intention is pure, or maybe I should say we should consider the quality of our intentions. Whether they are truly heartfelt, or if we sort of wish for something good, but really don't care enough personally to "Follow through" like you say.

I wouldn't worry too much about people who pull stunts 'intentionally'... (I made a funny) Though we all have to learn to walk and we all fall into not following through (like your choice of words) those who don't mean to do anything but attempt to pull God's leg and deceive themselves believing it will count as forgivable may not like the outcome. (Galations 6:7)
:coffee:

Loyal

Very much agreed! But to put a new lens of perspective in the viewing scope, is that a good intention? Or is that self-deceit / playing coy with God??

Again, sounds like we agree completely. The question is if the intention is pure, or maybe I should say we should consider the quality of our intentions. Whether they are truly heartfelt, or if we sort of wish for something good, but really don't care enough personally to "Follow through" like you say.

I wouldn't worry too much about people who pull stunts 'intentionally'... (I made a funny) Though we all have to learn to walk and we all fall into not following through (like your choice of words) those who don't mean to do anything but attempt to pull God's leg and deceive themselves believing it will count as forgivable may not like the outcome. (Galations 6:7)
:coffee:

Exactly !! Many use this word as an escape goat or get out of jail free card. I like ther word Motive - what was their motive behind their action - I beleive this is what Good looks into the heart to see.....
We can fool every one including our selves but we will NOT ever fool God or con God... He knows why we choose do do things or not do things...... even if we wont admit to the reason.
Thank you for replying and the fellowship Ceptor. I look forward to much more.
God Bless
Jim

Active
Thank you for replying and the fellowship Ceptor. I look forward to much more.

No way brother, don't thank me. I enjoy seeing God living inside a heart myself.

Btw, I like the word motive too. But was the motive of a pure intention or the intention of a pure motive? :laugh: (Talk about bad philosophy, thankfully it's just a bad joke)

Loyal
No way brother, don't thank me. I enjoy seeing God living inside a heart myself.

Btw, I like the word motive too. But was the motive of a pure intention or the intention of a pure motive? :laugh: (Talk about bad philosophy, thankfully it's just a bad joke)
Smiley-ROFL.gif

Active

Being saved is a free gift to those who love God. Like an airplane waiting to leave for heaven. We get ourselves to the airport by coming to God on His terms. Salvation that we have nothing to do with is when He takes us from where we are to where He is.

So the real question is how do we get to the airport? How do we come to God on His terms? What exactly is loving God?

These scriptures explain it perfectly:

Matt 16:24, Psalm 51:17, Rom 12:9, James 1:27, John 14:15.

This verse is just Jesus telling us that Christianity cannot be faked. If we are saved we will obey His commandments.

The will of the Father was never for us to be sinless. It was for us to hate sin / repent. People go to hell because they love the darkness John 3:19. Paul explains this in Rom 7:15 too.

Paul also said 1 Cor 12:3 'nobody can call Jesus Lord except by the Holy Spirit'. This is probably the verse that has most impacted my Christian walk. The realization that we can only believe a man who walked the earth 2000 years ago is anything more then a man is if God reveals it to us. No amount of extra faith or believing our side will ever help with that.