• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

What does believing in Jesus mean?

I have a question about the word believe. I would like everyone's opinion on the subject. I am going to give an example. If you had a teacher at a school that you were attending to learn how to be a truck driver. You as a student would believe in that persons ability to be able to teach you to drive a truck. Correct? So if Christian means a person who follows Christ, then shouldn't we believe that he is the one with knowledge to tell us how to be a Christian? He said, "you have one teacher, that is the Christ."(Mathew 23:10). So, why do we not take the things he said as instructions on how to be a Christian. Most people say, "yeah Jesus said that, but he meant this'. I think Jesus said what he meant we just don't want to take it that way because it seems to hard or it goes against our human nature. I believe in Jesus is the answer to world wide revival. His words can cure the whole world of it's problems and that is what is going to happen when the Kingdom of God comes. My answer to the question is, I believe Jesus meant what he said and that we have to follow the things he said, if we want to be a Christian. Even the hardest of commands like, (Luke 14:33). Hope this finds you all well.

Loyal
I have a question about the word believe. I would like everyone's opinion on the subject. I am going to give an example. If you had a teacher at a school that you were attending to learn how to be a truck driver. You as a student would believe in that persons ability to be able to teach you to drive a truck. Correct? So if Christian means a person who follows Christ, then shouldn't we believe that he is the one with knowledge to tell us how to be a Christian? He said, "you have one teacher, that is the Christ."(Mathew 23:10). So, why do we not take the things he said as instructions on how to be a Christian. Most people say, "yeah Jesus said that, but he meant this'. I think Jesus said what he meant we just don't want to take it that way because it seems to hard or it goes against our human nature. I believe in Jesus is the answer to world wide revival. His words can cure the whole world of it's problems and that is what is going to happen when the Kingdom of God comes. My answer to the question is, I believe Jesus meant what he said and that we have to follow the things he said, if we want to be a Christian. Even the hardest of commands like, (Luke 14:33). Hope this finds you all well.
Trust in, rely upon, and adhere to= Believe.

Loyal
Obedience has a place in all three areas. If you trust in His Word you will do as it says, if you rely on His Word, you will lean on it, and if you adhere to His Word you will make sure you obey every word of it.

Obedience has a place in all three areas. If you trust in His Word you will do as it says, if you rely on His Word, you will lean on it, and if you adhere to His Word you will make sure you obey every word of it.
I agree with what you wrote. Here is a example of a teaching that no one is doing. Mathew 6:24 Jesus says, "You cannot serve both God and mammon" (which means money and material things). The Definition of serve is to perform a service or work for something or someone. So Jesus is saying, "you cannot work for both God and money or material wealth". Who is obeying that command. You said yourself that being obedient was obeying all Jesus' words.

Loyal
I agree with what you wrote. Here is a example of a teaching that no one is doing. Mathew 6:24 Jesus says, "You cannot serve both God and mammon" (which means money and material things). The Definition of serve is to perform a service or work for something or someone. So Jesus is saying, "you cannot work for both God and money or material wealth". Who is obeying that command. You said yourself that being obedient was obeying all Jesus' words.
LOL We could simplify that....We cannot serve God and the World too

Active

A Christian is one who first believes and is born-again. As a believer he then follows Christ.

Jesus did mean what He said. However, you must pay attention to who He is addressing. For example: (Matt. 10:5) "....Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:" Later He said, (Matt. 28:19) "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,....".

Which one do you choose to obey as a follower of Christ?

Quantrill

Loyal
Romans 10:9
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

John 14:15
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

A Christian is one who first believes and is born-again. As a believer he then follows Christ.

Jesus did mean what He said. However, you must pay attention to who He is addressing. For example: (Matt. 10:5) "....Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:" Later He said, (Matt. 28:19) "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,....".

Quantrill

If I was with the disciples at the time I would have obeyed as He commanded. If you noticed those orders came in the exact sequence as you presented them. Jesus was giving the lost sheep of Israel a chance to repent and follow Him. After they received there chance, He commanded to go into all the world teachings them to obey the things I have taught you.

I hope this finds you well.

Loyal

Quantrill
LOL For the second time in a week you've actually made sense. Good for you!!
Your question at the bottom is a good one too. The two statements do not really contradict each other. In fact they compliment each other.

(Matt. 10:5) "....Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:" “Don’t go into the territory of the Goyim, and don’t enter any town in Shomron,

(Matt. 28:19) "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,...."
  • Teach all nations (a multitude of individuals of the same nature or genus
    1. the human family
  • a tribe, nation, people group) All twelve of the Jewish tribes.

Try that on and see if it fits for you.

Active
If I was with the disciples at the time I would have obeyed as He commanded. If you noticed those orders came in the exact sequence as you presented them. Jesus was giving the lost sheep of Israel a chance to repent and follow Him. After they received there chance, He commanded to go into all the world teachings them to obey the things I have taught you.

As a believer now, which is what we are discussing, which one do you obey?

I am well.

Quantrill

Active
LOL For the second time in a week you've actually made sense. Good for you!!
Your question at the bottom is a good one too. The two statements do not really contradict each other. In fact they compliment each other.

(Matt. 10:5) "....Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:" “Don’t go into the territory of the Goyim, and don’t enter any town in Shomron,

(Matt. 28:19) "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,...."
  • Teach all nations (a multitude of individuals of the same nature or genus
    1. the human family
  • a tribe, nation, people group) All twelve of the Jewish tribes.

Try that on and see if it fits for you.

The two statements do contradict. They are not the same. Thus you must understand that something has changed. Which means you don't go to the Bible and just pull out a verse as though it speaks to you. It may or it may not.

You must pay attention to who is addressed and the responsibility they are under before God.

Quantrill

Loyal
The two statements do contradict. They are not the same. Thus you must understand that something has changed. Which means you don't go to the Bible and just pull out a verse as though it speaks to you. It may or it may not.

You must pay attention to who is addressed and the responsibility they are under before God.

Quantrill
IF you say so. I know how much you like being right. So, enjoy

Loyal
Quantrill is right on this point. For example, Jesus dealt with conflict sometimes by directly confronting those who opposed him, sometimes by getting out of the zone of conflict, and sometimes by enduring the attacks of others. We need discernment to know how to follow Jesus' example at different times.

Staff Member

Quantrill

Hello Brothers,
Just a little curious on your positions. :)

So context, including the chronology of Scripture is necessary to make a determination on singular verses? Yes/No

If so, does this include the Epistles and other Books, which followed the Gospels in making such a determination?

I'm asking this because I'm truly trying to tie down the theology of or should I say the doctrine of money that is the preface for part of this thread directing us to complete obedience.
If my understanding/extrapolating in combining what both of you have said individually is, if verses were used while Jesus' Earthly Ministry was directed specifically to the Nation of Israeli, and only after His Resurrection would they then apply to those who have come to believe, both Jew & Gentile. Would it then have affect as to what must apply to all believers as being a sign of obedience?

Side Note: Is, the meaning of "mammon" depending upon the time since it's inception into the English Language, a consideration, and/or do we hold to the Greek language and usage within the context of Scripture reference?

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Exactly right. Which means you are not going to obey (Matt. 10:5) as it does not pertain to you. Which means you are not going to obey everything Jesus said in the Gospels.

Quantrill
If that is all you got to not obey the things that Jesus taught, you have the weakest case I have ever heard.