• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Tongues,Healings,Miracles - Are They Real Today?

Do you think this was something he learned through schooling, or do you think it was a miraculous gift given to him by God?
I agree in many places "tongues" mean a language. But in the case of ; and ; I think we have to think of it as a miraculous gift like
prophecy, miracles, or divine healing. It seems that when it happened in the upper room, these were uneducated men who had never learned the languages
they were speaking. It truly was a miracle.

; And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.

; Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.
; For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands him, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.

; If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

Is it possible Paul sometimes spoke in a language no one of earth could understand?

In 1cor.. Chapter 14.... I think Paul is telling us that prophecying in other words teaching or preaching.. Is more important than speaking in tongues or other languages.. He says I speak in more tongues than all of you but if the people are not educated in that tongue what good would it do.. He would rather say five words that they could understand than preaching in an unknown tongue..vs 16 he says they wouldn't even know when to say amen.. And if you do prophecy or preach to people uneducated in your language bring an interpreter but not more than two I think he says no more than two because the congregation would lose interest.. Read over chapter 14 and I would appreciate your thoughts.. Paul was a very educated man he knew the scriptures very well he just failed to realize that Jesus was the son of God until he was struck down on the road to Damascus.. He was also filled with the holy spirit.. So to your question I would say both .. He definitely had a gift from God..

I've seen people that say they were speaking in tongues.. It sounds like a noisy gong or clanging cymbal.. Unlike the tongue spoke on Pentecost day everyone from around the world heard it in there own language right down to the very dialect of the county in which they were born.. They did not need someone to interpret ... So people from the south would here "ya all" and if you were from my area you would here "dim there" or "oh ya you betcha" haha!! Actually we don't talk like that .. I dont think... The movie Fargo is way off..

To go another step forward I believe the penacostal tongue will be used again by Gods elect.. When they are delivered up before the synagogue of satin.. Christ says take no thought of what to say or do not premeditate what you will say but say what is giving to you at that moment.. I also believe this is the only unpardonable sin.. For one of Gods elect to deny the Holy Spirit to speak through them ... Think of what a wonderful witness this would be as satin is deceiving most of the world and you heard one of Gods elect speaking in every language of the world it would definitely change the minds of Christians who are being deceived... This is just my opinion ... I would love to here anybody's thoughts on this.. Maybe I'm way off but when I read Mark cpt 13 or Matt.. 24. Or this is what I get out of them... Just trying to learn so I would appreciate any other views on this..

Last edited:
Elizabeth was a cousin of Mary at the conception of Jesus ,.Mary ran to her cousin Elizabeth who was 6 months pregnant with John the baptist.. Then when Mary approached John leapt at the presence of the Lord who was still an embryo in the womb of Mary.. Where Christ is so is the Holy spirit.. What I don't understand for sure is if that was when the Holy Spirit began dwelling with all people? Or was it on the fiftieth day after the crucifixion when the disciples were filled with the Holy Spirit ... My opinion would be the holy spirit was with us since the conception.. But Jesus told them to wait 50 days because he would use them to speak through .. The fiftieth day would have ben Pentecost day so Jesus knew there would be a great crowd there and I'm sure if any were non believers they were converted.. Because God will never leave us or forsake us..

I am having a friendly debate (surprise, surprise) with a person not on TalkJesus. They believe in the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.

I was able to find two people in the New testament that were filled with the Holy Spirit, but it doesn't specifically mention "tongues".
One of them would have been unable to speak in tongues while he was in his mother womb. Of course Jesus had the Holy Spirit as well.

The first is John the Baptist.
; "For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother's womb.

The second was his mother Elizabeth.
; When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.

Now it appears these two were a special case, as the Holy Spirit wasn't really given to the church until .
; But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
; "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.
; for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."

It's interesting that Jesus considers having the Holy Spirit an advantage over having Jesus himself in their lives.

In ; and after ; my friend says every time anyone was filled with the Holy Spirit, (for the first time) they spoke in tongues.
( ; ; ; ; )

So my question is... Is there any verses or scriptures that show people being filled with the Holy Spirit where they did NOT speak in tongues?
(Other than the two I already mentioned above).

My post about the Holy spirit concerning Elizabeth and John was about your post I forgot to quote you when you have chance I would like to hear your thoughts about this.. Thanks..

Last edited:
Loyal
I've seen people that say they were speaking in tongues.. It sounds like a noisy gong or clanging cymbal.. Unlike the tongue spoke on Pentecost day everyone from around the world heard it in there own language right down to the very dialect of the county in which they were born.. They did not need someone to interpret ... So people from the south would here "ya all" and if you were from my area you would here "dim there" or "oh ya you betcha" haha!! Actually we don't talk like that .. I dont think... The movie Fargo is way off..

I think there are two ways to say things to people. We all know people who have made bad choices in their lives, how do we talk to them?
Example 1: You are stupid, ignorant, you aren't good at anything, you aren't good for anything, you never listen, you'll never amount to anything, and you'll never change.
Example 2: I think you can do better, I think you're smarter than that, I'm telling you these things because I love you and I don't want to see you get hurt, now what can we do to
help you get these things turned around?

In one example - we are just noise. A clanging gong. What we are saying isn't helping anyone and has no purpose except for us to vent.
In the other example - we have love, we are giving hope, and if they listen to Godly advice it has the power to change their lives and their circumstances.
If I speak without love, I am just noise. (1 Cor 13; )
I think sometimes here on TalkJesus, some of us are just noise. The worse sin many people have committed is simply disagreeing with us (which really isn't a sin at all).
And yet the way we talk to them sometimes.. is just noise. I hear very little love in what people have to say sometimes. (myself included sometimes).

Loyal
To go another step forward I believe the penacostal tongue will be used again by Gods elect.. When they are delivered up before the synagogue of satin.. Christ says take no thought of what to say or do not premeditate what you will say but say what is giving to you at that moment.. I also believe this is the only unpardonable sin.. For one of Gods elect to deny the Holy Spirit to speak through them ... Think of what a wonderful witness this would be as satin is deceiving most of the world and you heard one of Gods elect speaking in every language of the world it would definitely change the minds of Christians who are being deceived... This is just my opinion ... I would love to here anybody's thoughts on this.. Maybe I'm way off but when I read Mark cpt 13 or Matt.. 24. Or this is what I get out of them... Just trying to learn so I would appreciate any other views on this..

I think you are right here. If we are in a bad circumstance, many times God will give us the words to say. However I doubt the fact that we might be able to speak another language will save us
in most cases. In this case, I think the Spirit is giving us the ability to speak to a person's heart.

Loyal
Elizabeth was a cousin of Mary at the conception of Jesus ,.Mary ran to her cousin Elizabeth who was 6 months pregnant with John the baptist.. Then when Mary approached John leapt at the presence of the Lord who was still an embryo in the womb of Mary.. Where Christ is so is the Holy spirit.. What I don't understand for sure is if that was when the Holy Spirit began dwelling with all people? Or was it on the fiftieth day after the crucifixion when the disciples were filled with the Holy Spirit ... My opinion would be the holy spirit was with us since the conception.. But Jesus told them to wait 50 days because he would use them to speak through .. The fiftieth day would have ben Pentecost day so Jesus knew there would be a great crowd there and I'm sure if any were non believers they were converted.. Because God will never leave us or forsake us..

This is a subject of much debate in the church today. I don't have all the answers about the past. Some say the Holy Spirit wasn't on the earth for everyone.
Gen 6:3; Then the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."

Some say the Holy Spirit wasn't given to the majority of the people while Jesus was on the earth.
John 16:7; "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.
John 7:39; But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

I believe the Holy Spirit was at least given to certain people in the Old Testament, leaders, prophets, and judges of Israel for example.
But not everyone in the Old Testament had the ability to do miracles and talk to God.

Last edited:
Active

RJ

For me, the way I undestand it, is that, yes, the Holy Spirit has been with us from conception but not in us. The Holy Spirit living in us began, as a part of the New Covenant, fortold in the Old Testament, Jerimiah 31:31-34 . Jesus initiated the process and ushering in the New Covenant apoun his death on the Cross. Before this, in the Old Testament, as an observance of the law and the "Day of Atonement" the believer's sin was covered up and the this atonement had to be done every year. Jesus changed everything, His death was a permanent atonement for us, "once for all", whereby, he did not cover over our sins but took them away from the sight of God for all times.When we believe this, because of this faith, God now gives us a deposit of himself in the form of the Holy Spirit, who lives in us and gives his righteousness and holliness.Jesus didn't come down as much from heaven to earth to saves us, he came down from heaven to earth to get inside us and fulfill the prophecy in Jerimiah.

Loyal
yes, the Holy Spirit has been with us from conception but not in us

I am not sure what you mean by this. The Holy Spirit is with everyone since they are conceived in their mothers womb?
Also what is the difference between being "with" us and being "in" us?

he did not cover over our sins but took them away from the sight of God for all times.

So our sins aren't eliminated? Just hidden?

.Jesus didn't come down as much from heaven to earth to saves us, he came down from heaven to earth to get inside us and fulfill the prophecy in Jerimiah.

John 3:17; "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

I have to admit, this is a really confusing statement for me, Jesus is in us, but he doesn't save us? Even after he is in us we aren't saved? I am wondering what part of Jeremiah says this?
I could be wrong, but usually the new covenant is mentioned here.

Jer 31:31; "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,
Jer 31:32; not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD.
Jer 31:33; "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
Jer 31:34; "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

This is quoted in Hebrews 8:8-13;

Last edited:
I did not mean to offend anybody when I posted my opinion of the time I witnessed people supposedly talking in tongues.. Christians that disagree with me should not be offended they should simply think that I am ignorant meaning I don't know any better.. Christians have many different opinions and interpretations of Scripture but we are all brothers and sisters in Christ.. I don't get offended easily .. even atheists they can believe what they want... I would not protest some silly sign that they put upI simply think they don't know any better... but they better not mess with what I believe.. political corrected have gone way too far I think I will stick with what is morally right.. if you sit back and look at where political correctness has kicked God out of our government school public places.. you begin to see bad things happening... Christians are not second class citizens we don't give ground we take ground..

Loyal
No offense taken, not from me ta least. But I do think changes are coming.

Acts 2:17; 'AND IT SHALL BE IN THE LAST DAYS,' God says, 'THAT I WILL POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT ON ALL MANKIND; AND YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY, AND YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS, AND YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS;
Acts 2:18; EVEN ON MY BONDSLAVES, BOTH MEN AND WOMEN, I WILL IN THOSE DAYS POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT And they shall prophesy.
Acts 2:19; 'AND I WILL GRANT WONDERS IN THE SKY ABOVE AND SIGNS ON THE EARTH BELOW, BLOOD, AND FIRE, AND VAPOR OF SMOKE.
Acts 2:20; 'THE SUN WILL BE TURNED INTO DARKNESS AND THE MOON INTO BLOOD, BEFORE THE GREAT AND GLORIOUS DAY OF THE LORD SHALL COME.
Acts 2:21; 'AND IT SHALL BE THAT EVERYONE WHO CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.'

See Joel 2:28-32;

Last edited:
Active

RJ

I am not sure what you mean by this. The Holy Spirit is with everyone since they are conceived in their mothers womb?

So our sins aren't eliminated? Just hidden?

John 3:17; "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

I have to admit, this is a really confusing statement for me, Jesus is in us, but he doesn't save us? Even after he is in us we aren't saved? I am wondering what part of Jeremiah says this?
I could be wrong, but usually the new covenant is mentioned here.

Jer 31:31; "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,
Jer 31:32; not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD.
Jer 31:33; "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
Jer 31:34; "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

This is quoted in Hebrews 8:8-13;
B-A-C, here we are again, either I am terrible at explaining or we are miles apart in undersatnding.
  • I am not sure what you mean by this. The Holy Spirit is with everyone since they are conceived in their mothers womb?
    The only time the Holy Spirit that was given to someone in the womb was possibly Mary and then for sure Jesus and John the Baptist but for all of the rest of us this does not happen until we are "Born Again" which is part of the prophecy in Jeremiah. That is the hallmark of a Christian, as part of his grace, God gives us the Holy Spirit to dwell in us. If everyone was concieved with the Holy Spirit in, we would all be Christians at birth, including Muslims and Jews!? Jesus was in the begining and has always been among us but only those "Born of The Spirit" are the only ones who have the Holy Spirit in them...."with" us is not the same as "in" us! 2 Corinthians 1:22 set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come....this only happens after being Born Again!.....not at conception.
  • he did not cover over our sins but took them away from the sight of God for all times. So our sins aren't eliminated? Just hidden?
    No, I said taken away, where do you get "aren't eliminated" or "just hidden"? 1 John 3:5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins . Jerimiah 31:34 No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’because they will all know me,from the least of them to the greatest,”
    declares the Lord.“For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” .....remember them no more because Jesus took them away from the sight of God.
  • I have to admit, this is a really confusing statement for me, Jesus is in us, but he doesn't save us? Even after he is in us we aren't saved? I am wondering what part of Jeremiah says this? I bet it is confusing to you because I never said this?!.....Yes, as a true "Born Again" Christian, Jesus is in you and because of this you are saved!
  • The true mysteryr of the Bible is not that Jesus came down to save us, it is that he came down to get in us.....and that is how we are saved. Colossians 1:27 To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Last edited:
Active
Keep in mind we are talking about gifts from a living God to living sons.
These are not off the rack gifts,they are tailored to meet precise specifications in order to
achieve his intended purposes.
His creativity is boundless so the variations of his gifts is not limited to scripture or times or place.
God is love and love does not demand it's own way so to question the gift might be to quench it.

Romans 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

Just to be perfectly clear,yes,God hath said.

Perhaps three places if we count the disciples at Ephesus ( Acts 19:1-9; ) and the upper room ( Acts 2:1-17; )
Your right,I remembered the 19:1-9 meeting and the laying on of hands(which is a variation of how it came) but I didn't recall the tongues.
So in order there is the upper room and it came with the wind and a physical appearance like tongues of flame.
Then at Cornelius's house it came with the words of Peter and no visible tongues like flame.
Then at the laying on of hands.

Last edited:
I apologize for not staying involved with this thread, but I would like to thank those that have participated, for not letting this thread denigrate into something that no one would feel comfortable being involved with. I prayed about it and asked the administrator about it before I brought it to the forum. I've read some interesting points regarding these sign gifts, and I will comment at a later date, if that's ok. My job is sending me to the land of Lincoln to start another project. It's time to leave Orlando and tell Mickey goodbye.
I would like to get your views on modern day miracles and healings more if you have things to share on that. Does anyone have the ability to cast out demons, or heal the sick or perform miracles such as the apostles of Christ did, and Christ Himself?
Ill get back as soon as I can. I can't wait to see snow and seasons again!!!

B-A-C, here we are again, either I am terrible at explaining or we are miles apart in undersatnding.
  • I am not sure what you mean by this. The Holy Spirit is with everyone since they are conceived in their mothers womb?
    The only time the Holy Spirit that was given to someone in the womb was possibly Mary and then for sure Jesus and John the Baptist but for all of the rest of us this does not happen until we are "Born Again" which is part of the prophecy in Jeremiah. That is the hallmark of a Christian, as part of his grace, God gives us the Holy Spirit to dwell in us. If everyone was concieved with the Holy Spirit in, we would all be Christians at birth, including Muslims and Jews!? Jesus was in the begining and has always been among us but only those "Born of The Spirit" are the only ones who have the Holy Spirit in them...."with" us is not the same as "in" us! set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come....this only happens after being Born Again!.....not at conception.
  • he did not cover over our sins but took them away from the sight of God for all times. So our sins aren't eliminated? Just hidden?
    No, I said taken away, where do you get "aren't eliminated" or "just hidden"? But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins . Jerimiah 31:34 No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’because they will all know me,from the least of them to the greatest,”
    declares the Lord.“For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” .....remember them no more because Jesus took them away from the sight of God.
  • I have to admit, this is a really confusing statement for me, Jesus is in us, but he doesn't save us? Even after he is in us we aren't saved? I am wondering what part of Jeremiah says this? I bet it is confusing to you because I never said this?!.....Yes, as a true "Born Again" Christian, Jesus is in you and because of this you are saved!
  • The true mysteryr of the Bible is not that Jesus came down to save us, it is that he came down to get in us.....and that is how we are saved. To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Where is it written that the Holy Spirit is given to us when we are born again?
Could you also explain what it means to be born again I hope you don't think this a stupid question.. Thanks ..

Active

RJ

Could you also explain what it means to be born again I hope you don't think this a stupid question.. Thanks ..
There is no such thing as a stupid question , especially if you are not sure of the answer.
  • 2 Corinthians 1:22
  • Romans 5:5
  • 1 Corinthians 6:19
  • Luke 11:13
  • John 14:16-17

The most definitive answer is from Jesus himself and his explanation to Nicodemus in John 3: 1-7
Note: Jesus said we (talking about Christians) have 2 births, one from the womb or our physicial birth from our mother and the second birth or our spiritual birth from the Holy Spirit or what Jesus was refering to as being born again!

Loyal

This is another one of those areas where everyone doesn't agree. Some believe you get it when you are saved.
Others believe certain things have to happen. For example...

Acts 19:1; It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples.
Acts 19:2; He said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said to him, "No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit."
Acts 19:3; And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?" And they said, "Into John's baptism."
Acts 19:4; Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus."

These people were believers, but they didn't receive the Holy Spirit until afterwards.
Also we are told to ask for Him.

Luke 11:13; "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?"

Finally, some believe obedience is also required.

Acts 5:32; "And we are witnesses of these things; and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him."

Some go as far as to say that you must have someone who already has the Holy Spirit lay hands on you.
( Acts 8:17; Acts 9:17; Acts 19:6; )
One of the largest pentecostal denominations goes so far as to say you must speak in tongues in order to receive the Holy Spirit.
( Acts 2:4; Acts 10:46; Acts 19:6; )

Some denominations believe you can be saved without being filled with the Holy Spirit, however you aren't "born again" until you receive the Holy Spirit.
( John 3:3-7; )

Last edited:
These spiritual gifts I believe were once legitimate gifts from the Holy Spirit , used to authenticate the gospel and of the deity of Jesus.
My question is this. Are they legitimate gifts given to anyone in our modern age?

The Word of God reveals that these gifts had a purpose in Christian history. This is the key to determining their significance and their purpose in the body of Christ. God administers gifts throughout the body of Christ as He pleases 1 Corinth 12:11, Miracles served a purpose in Christian history; this purpose was to authenticate those who claimed to be prophets and apostles of Christ Hebrews 2:4 Mark 16:20. Miracles confirmed Jesus's claim that He was God's Son John 2:11 John 6:26 John 10:25. This gift was given while the Scriptures where yet being completed, to authenticate who was from God and who was not 2 Corinth 11:13. It served a purpose, this purpose is no longer necessary now that the Word of God is complete there is no need to authenticate the writers. We now have the completed Word of God. Consider this; if miracles are necessary today, why? Also where are they? They would be known on a worldwide scale, no where in scripture did anyone conceal these miracles but openly displayed them that people could glorify God and believe in Him as was shown before John 6:26. Tongues also served a purpose in Christian history; to be a sign to unbelieving Jews of judgement that their Messiah had come and evidence that the Gentiles where part of God's plan of redemption. Notice that Jews were always present when the gift was manifested. Tongues in the Greek means "languages" meaning that tongues is an intelligible language and not this gibberish that is no where found in scripture, tongues is therefore one divine language understood by many distinct nationalities Acts 2:1-12. This is the biblical standpoint on tongues. Tongues were necessary to spread the gospel among many different nationalities and languages at the present time because of the language barrier prevalent in that time period Acts 2:1-12. One must be careful when attempting to interpret God's Word and drawing conclusions quickly without waiting on God's revelation of the true biblical interpretation 2 Peter 1:20

Loyal
It served a purpose, this purpose is no longer necessary now that the Word of God is complete there is no need to authenticate the writers. We now have the completed Word of God. Consider this; if miracles are necessary today, why? Also where are they? They would be known on a worldwide scale, no where in scripture did anyone conceal these miracles but openly displayed them that people could glorify God and believe in Him as was shown before

The largest protestant denomination in the world (Assemblies of God) would say they are alive and well. Thousands of churches around the world exercise these gifts every
Sunday (some more often than that). Also the gospel is not yet preached unto all the world, there are still places and languages in which the Gospel (Bible) don't exist yet.
But even if it did, does healing no longer need to be done? Does prophecy no longer need to be done? Is Godly wisdom no longer needed?