• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

The Wrath of God.

Loyal
2 Sam 24:14; Then David said to Gad, "I am in great distress. Let us now fall into the hand of the LORD for His mercies are great, but do not let me fall into the hand of man."
2 Sam 24:15; So the LORD sent a pestilence upon Israel from the morning until the appointed time, and seventy thousand men of the people from Dan to Beersheba died.

Gen 19:24; Then the LORD rained on Sodom and Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven,
Deut 29:23; 'All its land is brimstone and salt, a burning waste, unsown and unproductive, and no grass grows in it, like the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah, Admah and Zeboiim, which the LORD overthrew in His anger and in His wrath.'
Luke 17:29; but on the day that Lot went out from Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all.

Rev 21:8; "But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

1 Cor 10:7; Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written, "THE PEOPLE SAT DOWN TO EAT AND DRINK, AND STOOD UP TO PLAY."
1 Cor 10:8; Nor let us act immorally, as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in one day.

Numb 25:2; For they invited the people to the sacrifices of their gods, and the people ate and bowed down to their gods.
Numb 25:3; So Israel joined themselves to Baal of Peor, and the LORD was angry against Israel.
Numb 25:4; The LORD said to Moses, "Take all the leaders of the people and execute them in broad daylight before the LORD, so that the fierce anger of the LORD may turn away from Israel."
Numb 25:5; So Moses said to the judges of Israel, "Each of you slay his men who have joined themselves to Baal of Peor."
Numb 25:6; Then behold, one of the sons of Israel came and brought to his relatives a Midianite woman, in the sight of Moses and in the sight of all the congregation of the sons of Israel, while they were weeping at the doorway of the tent of meeting.
Numb 25:7; When Phinehas the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he arose from the midst of the congregation and took a spear in his hand,
Numb 25:8; and he went after the man of Israel into the tent and pierced both of them through, the man of Israel and the woman, through the body. So the plague on the sons of Israel was checked.
Numb 25:9; Those who died by the plague were over 23,000.

Exod 4:22; "Then you shall say to Pharaoh, 'Thus says the LORD, "Israel is My son, My firstborn.
Exod 4:23; "So I said to you, 'Let My son go that he may serve Me'; but you have refused to let him go. Behold, I will kill your son, your firstborn."'"

Numb 31:15; And Moses said to them, "Have you spared all the women?
Numb 31:16; "Behold, these caused the sons of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, so the plague was among the congregation of the LORD.
Numb 31:17; "Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately.

1 Sam 15:2; "Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'I will punish Amalek for what he did to Israel , how he set himself against him on the way while he was coming up from Egypt.
1 Sam 15:3; 'Now go and strike Amalek and utterly destroy all that he has, and do not spare him; but put to death both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.'"

Exod 22:18; "You shall not allow a sorceress to live.

Exod 22:20; "He who sacrifices to any god, other than to the LORD alone, shall be utterly destroyed.

Psa 137:7; Remember, O LORD, against the sons of Edom The day of Jerusalem, Who said, "Raze it, raze it To its very foundation."
Psa 137:8; O daughter of Babylon, you devastated one, How blessed will be the one who repays you With the recompense with which you have repaid us.
Psa 137:9; How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones Against the rock.

Jdg 11:30; Jephthah made a vow to the LORD and said, "If You will indeed give the sons of Ammon into my hand,
Jdg 11:31; then it shall be that whatever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return in peace from the sons of Ammon, it shall be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up as a burnt offering."
Jdg 11:34; When Jephthah came to his house at Mizpah, behold, his daughter was coming out to meet him with tambourines and with dancing. Now she was his one and only child; besides her he had no son or daughter.
Jdg 11:35; When he saw her, he tore his clothes and said, "Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low, and you are among those who trouble me; for I have given my word to the LORD, and I cannot take it back."
Jdg 11:39; At the end of two months she returned to her father, who did to her according to the vow which he had made ; and she had no relations with a man. Thus it became a custom in Israel,

1 Sam 6:19; He struck down some of the men of Beth-shemesh because they had looked into the ark of the LORD. He struck down of all the people, 50,070 men, and the people mourned because the LORD had struck the people with a great slaughter.
1 Sam 6:20; The men of Beth-shemesh said, "Who is able to stand before the LORD, this holy God? And to whom shall He go up from us?"

Deut 25:11; "If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals,
Deut 25:12; then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity.

Josh 6:21; They utterly destroyed everything in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox and sheep and donkey, with the edge of the sword.

Exod 20:4; "You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.
Exod 20:5; "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Gen 22:1; Now it came about after these things, that God tested Abraham, and said to him, "Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am."
Gen 22:2; He said, "Take now your son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I will tell you."

( Abraham didn't have to sacrifice Isaac, but he was willing to. )

Luke 14:26; "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.

This could likely be translated, anyone who loves their family more than they love me can not be my disciple. We serve a jealous God.

Jer 15:6; "You who have forsaken Me," declares the LORD, "You keep going backward. So I will stretch out My hand against you and destroy you; I am tired of relenting!

Isa 13:6; Wail, for the day of the LORD is near! It will come as destruction from the Almighty.
Isa 13:7; Therefore all hands will fall limp, And every man's heart will melt.
Isa 13:8; They will be terrified, Pains and anguish will take hold of them; They will writhe like a woman in labor, They will look at one another in astonishment, Their faces aflame.

1 Cor 3:17; If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.

Acts 5:3; But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land?
Acts 5:4; "While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."
Acts 5:5; And as he heard these words, Ananias fell down and breathed his last; and great fear came over all who heard of it.

1 Jn 4:8; and 1 Jn 4:16; say God is love. But many people mistake that for God doesn't punish people.

Heb 12:29; for our God is a consuming fire.

This is just a small sample of some of the things God did and told his people to do (often TO His chosen people) to anyone who disobeyed God.
We think God is worried about babies more than He is concerned about faithfulness and His holiness. Yet how many passage above say "kill the babies".

People who say we don't know God or know His character have never read the Bible.
God is our Father, He does love His children, but not to the expense that they can reject Him or His Son.

Rom 8:15; For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!"
Gal 4:6; Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!"

Rev 6:4; And another, a red horse, went out; and to him who sat on it, it was granted to take peace from the earth, and that men would slay one another; and a great sword was given to him.
Rev 6:8; I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.
Rev 13:10; If anyone is destined for captivity, to captivity he goes; if anyone kills with the sword, with the sword he must be killed. Here is the perseverance and the faith of the saints.

I haven't even gotten half-way through the Bible yet about verses were God smote this person, destroyed that nation, put His own people into slavery, and He himself killed babies.

Exod 12:29; Now it came about at midnight that the LORD struck all the firstborn in the land of Egypt , from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sat on his throne to the firstborn of the captive who was in the dungeon, and all the firstborn of cattle.
Exod 12:30; Pharaoh arose in the night, he and all his servants and all the Egyptians, and there was a great cry in Egypt, for there was no home where there was not someone dead.

God loves His children, He wishes that none of us would perish. But make no mistake... Many will.

Matt 7:13; "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
Matt 7:14; "For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Rev 6:17; for the great day of their wrath has come, and who is able to stand?"

There are people who would like to take these verses out of the Bible. There are people who say God isn't like that, He would never hurt of punish anyone.
But these verses ARE in the Bible and there are more like them. Do not mistake who God is.

Matt 10:28; "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

If you think there is no penalty for rejecting repentance and Jesus... think again.

Rev 20:15; And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Numb 16:27; So they got back from around the dwellings of Korah, Dathan and Abiram; and Dathan and Abiram came out and stood at the doorway of their tents, along with their wives and their sons and their little ones.
Numb 16:28; Moses said, "By this you shall know that the LORD has sent me to do all these deeds; for this is not my doing.
Numb 16:29; "If these men die the death of all men or if they suffer the fate of all men, then the LORD has not sent me.
Numb 16:30; "But if the LORD brings about an entirely new thing and the ground opens its mouth and swallows them up with all that is theirs, and they descend alive into Sheol, then you will understand that these men have spurned the LORD."
Numb 16:31; As he finished speaking all these words, the ground that was under them split open;
Numb 16:32; and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them up, and their households, and all the men who belonged to Korah with their possessions.

Numb 16:33; So they and all that belonged to them went down alive to Sheol; and the earth closed over them, and they perished from the midst of the assembly.

Staff Member
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him John 3:36

Staff Member
Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins 1John 4:10

Staff Member
And to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come. 1Thessalonians 1:10

Staff Member
For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by Whom we have now received the atonement. Romans 5:6-11

Staff Member
If you think there is no penalty for rejecting repentance and Jesus... think again.

YES
[And brought them out, and said,] Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Acts 16:30-31

I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: Deuteronomy 30:19

Active
B-A-C

You gave so many verses yet ignored the greatest discourse on the wrath of God in the Bible. It is found in (Rom. 1:18-2:29). This discourse will also be against your position that the believer can lose his salvation. Though I am certain you will disagree.

Quantrill

Staff Member
B-A-C

You gave so many verses yet ignored the greatest discourse on the wrath of God in the Bible. It is found in (Rom. 1:18-2:29). This discourse will also be against your position that the believer can lose his salvation. Though I am certain you will disagree.

Quantrill

Greetings,

methinks that B-A-C's thread was set as a warning to those who reject the Son of God?
@B-A-C ?

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
@Br. Bear has it right. The good news is .. We CAN be saved! All of us. Obviously the wrath of God doesn't fall on those people.

But for everyone else.

Mat 3:7; But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, "You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Luk 3:7; So he began saying to the crowds who were going out to be baptized by him, "You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Luk 21:23; "Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days; for there will be great distress upon the land and wrath to this people;
Joh 3:36; "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

Rom 1:18; For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
Rom 2:5; But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God,
Rom 2:8; but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation.
Rom 3:5; But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? The God who inflicts wrath is not unrighteous, is He? (I am speaking in human terms.)
Rom 5:9; Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.
Rom 9:22; What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction?
Rom 12:19; Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.
Rom 13:4; for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.
Rom 13:5; Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience' sake.
Eph 2:3; Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
Eph 5:6; Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
Col 3:6; For it is because of these things that the wrath of God will come upon the sons of disobedience,
1 Thes 1:10; and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, that is Jesus, who rescues us from the wrath to come.
1 Thes 2:16; hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved; with the result that they always fill up the measure of their sins. But wrath has come upon them to the utmost.
Heb 3:11; AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH, 'THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST.'"
Heb 4:3; For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said, "AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH, THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST," although His works were finished from the foundation of the world.
Rev 6:16; and they *said to the mountains and to the rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the presence of Him who sits on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb;
Rev 11:18; "And the nations were enraged, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged, and the time to reward Your bond-servants the prophets and the saints and those who fear Your name, the small and the great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth."
Rev 12:12; "For this reason, rejoice, O heavens and you who dwell in them. Woe to the earth and the sea, because the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, knowing that he has only a short time."
Rev 14:10; he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.
Rev 14:19; So the angel swung his sickle to the earth and gathered the clusters from the vine of the earth, and threw them into the great wine press of the wrath of God.
Rev 15:1; Then I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvelous, seven angels who had seven plagues, which are the last, because in them the wrath of God is finished.
Rev 15:7; Then one of the four living creatures gave to the seven angels seven golden bowls full of the wrath of God, who lives forever and ever.
Rev 16:1; Then I heard a loud voice from the temple, saying to the seven angels, "Go and pour out on the earth the seven bowls of the wrath of God."
Rev 16:19; The great city was split into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell. Babylon the great was remembered before God, to give her the cup of the wine of His fierce wrath.
Rev 19:15 From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty.

Loyal
yes we do not hear much about the wrath of God nowadays,

only the grace of God,

good to see some sound teaching. @B-A-C your one of the reasons I keep coming back here

Loyal
It's worth looking closely at what God's wrath means. In Romans 1, the phrase 'God gave them over' is repeated several times. It's as if the punishment is simply to allow humans selfish and corrupt actions to work themselves out to their natural consequences.

And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do bwhat ought not to be done. 29 They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

Loyal
It's worth looking closely at what God's wrath means. In Romans 1, the phrase 'God gave them over' is repeated several times. It's as if the punishment is simply to allow humans selfish and corrupt actions to work themselves out to their natural consequences.

It is a sad state when you reach the point where God doesn't even give you opportunity to repent.

Rom 1:28; And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind , to do those things which are not proper,

If you keep rejecting God long enough, He will eventually give you what you want.

2 Thes 2:10; and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved.
2 Thes 2:11; For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false,
2 Thes 2:12; in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

Rom 11:25; For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery—so that you will not be wise in your own estimation—that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in;

Isa 6:9; He said, "Go, and tell this people: 'Keep on listening, but do not perceive; Keep on looking, but do not understand.'
Isa 6:10; "Render the hearts of this people insensitive, Their ears dull, And their eyes dim, Otherwise they might see with their eyes, Hear with their ears, Understand with their hearts, And return and be healed."
Isa 6:11; Then I said, "Lord, how long?" And He answered, "Until cities are devastated and without inhabitant, Houses are without people And the land is utterly desolate,

Loyal
If you keep rejecting God long enough, He will eventually give you what you want.
Stop and Think about this.
Christians who get off course and refuse and refuse and refuse the Holy Spirits Correction.

Scripture says over and over if we hold true until the end.

Blessings

Staff Member
Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them. But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

But what saith it?

The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon Him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Romans 10:1-13

2 Sam 24:14; Then David said to Gad, "I am in great distress. Let us now fall into the hand of the LORD for His mercies are great, but do not let me fall into the hand of man."
2 Sam 24:15; So the LORD sent a pestilence upon Israel from the morning until the appointed time, and seventy thousand men of the people from Dan to Beersheba died.

Gen 19:24; Then the LORD rained on Sodom and Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven,
Deut 29:23; 'All its land is brimstone and salt, a burning waste, unsown and unproductive, and no grass grows in it, like the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah, Admah and Zeboiim, which the LORD overthrew in His anger and in His wrath.'
Luke 17:29; but on the day that Lot went out from Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all.

Rev 21:8; "But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

1 Cor 10:7; Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written, "THE PEOPLE SAT DOWN TO EAT AND DRINK, AND STOOD UP TO PLAY."
1 Cor 10:8; Nor let us act immorally, as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in one day.

Numb 25:2; For they invited the people to the sacrifices of their gods, and the people ate and bowed down to their gods.
Numb 25:3; So Israel joined themselves to Baal of Peor, and the LORD was angry against Israel.
Numb 25:4; The LORD said to Moses, "Take all the leaders of the people and execute them in broad daylight before the LORD, so that the fierce anger of the LORD may turn away from Israel."
Numb 25:5; So Moses said to the judges of Israel, "Each of you slay his men who have joined themselves to Baal of Peor."
Numb 25:6; Then behold, one of the sons of Israel came and brought to his relatives a Midianite woman, in the sight of Moses and in the sight of all the congregation of the sons of Israel, while they were weeping at the doorway of the tent of meeting.
Numb 25:7; When Phinehas the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he arose from the midst of the congregation and took a spear in his hand,
Numb 25:8; and he went after the man of Israel into the tent and pierced both of them through, the man of Israel and the woman, through the body. So the plague on the sons of Israel was checked.
Numb 25:9; Those who died by the plague were over 23,000.

Exod 4:22; "Then you shall say to Pharaoh, 'Thus says the LORD, "Israel is My son, My firstborn.
Exod 4:23; "So I said to you, 'Let My son go that he may serve Me'; but you have refused to let him go. Behold, I will kill your son, your firstborn."'"

Numb 31:15; And Moses said to them, "Have you spared all the women?
Numb 31:16; "Behold, these caused the sons of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, so the plague was among the congregation of the LORD.
Numb 31:17; "Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately.

1 Sam 15:2; "Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'I will punish Amalek for what he did to Israel , how he set himself against him on the way while he was coming up from Egypt.
1 Sam 15:3; 'Now go and strike Amalek and utterly destroy all that he has, and do not spare him; but put to death both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.'"

Exod 22:18; "You shall not allow a sorceress to live.

Exod 22:20; "He who sacrifices to any god, other than to the LORD alone, shall be utterly destroyed.

Psa 137:7; Remember, O LORD, against the sons of Edom The day of Jerusalem, Who said, "Raze it, raze it To its very foundation."
Psa 137:8; O daughter of Babylon, you devastated one, How blessed will be the one who repays you With the recompense with which you have repaid us.
Psa 137:9; How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones Against the rock.

Jdg 11:30; Jephthah made a vow to the LORD and said, "If You will indeed give the sons of Ammon into my hand,
Jdg 11:31; then it shall be that whatever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return in peace from the sons of Ammon, it shall be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up as a burnt offering."
Jdg 11:34; When Jephthah came to his house at Mizpah, behold, his daughter was coming out to meet him with tambourines and with dancing. Now she was his one and only child; besides her he had no son or daughter.
Jdg 11:35; When he saw her, he tore his clothes and said, "Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low, and you are among those who trouble me; for I have given my word to the LORD, and I cannot take it back."
Jdg 11:39; At the end of two months she returned to her father, who did to her according to the vow which he had made ; and she had no relations with a man. Thus it became a custom in Israel,

1 Sam 6:19; He struck down some of the men of Beth-shemesh because they had looked into the ark of the LORD. He struck down of all the people, 50,070 men, and the people mourned because the LORD had struck the people with a great slaughter.
1 Sam 6:20; The men of Beth-shemesh said, "Who is able to stand before the LORD, this holy God? And to whom shall He go up from us?"

Deut 25:11; "If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals,
Deut 25:12; then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity.

Josh 6:21; They utterly destroyed everything in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox and sheep and donkey, with the edge of the sword.

Exod 20:4; "You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.
Exod 20:5; "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Gen 22:1; Now it came about after these things, that God tested Abraham, and said to him, "Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am."
Gen 22:2; He said, "Take now your son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I will tell you."

( Abraham didn't have to sacrifice Isaac, but he was willing to. )

Luke 14:26; "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.

This could likely be translated, anyone who loves their family more than they love me can not be my disciple. We serve a jealous God.

Jer 15:6; "You who have forsaken Me," declares the LORD, "You keep going backward. So I will stretch out My hand against you and destroy you; I am tired of relenting!

Isa 13:6; Wail, for the day of the LORD is near! It will come as destruction from the Almighty.
Isa 13:7; Therefore all hands will fall limp, And every man's heart will melt.
Isa 13:8; They will be terrified, Pains and anguish will take hold of them; They will writhe like a woman in labor, They will look at one another in astonishment, Their faces aflame.

1 Cor 3:17; If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.

Acts 5:3; But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land?
Acts 5:4; "While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."
Acts 5:5; And as he heard these words, Ananias fell down and breathed his last; and great fear came over all who heard of it.

1 Jn 4:8; and 1 Jn 4:16; say God is love. But many people mistake that for God doesn't punish people.

Heb 12:29; for our God is a consuming fire.

This is just a small sample of some of the things God did and told his people to do (often TO His chosen people) to anyone who disobeyed God.
We think God is worried about babies more than He is concerned about faithfulness and His holiness. Yet how many passage above say "kill the babies".

People who say we don't know God or know His character have never read the Bible.
God is our Father, He does love His children, but not to the expense that they can reject Him or His Son.

Rom 8:15; For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!"
Gal 4:6; Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!"

Rev 6:4; And another, a red horse, went out; and to him who sat on it, it was granted to take peace from the earth, and that men would slay one another; and a great sword was given to him.
Rev 6:8; I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.
Rev 13:10; If anyone is destined for captivity, to captivity he goes; if anyone kills with the sword, with the sword he must be killed. Here is the perseverance and the faith of the saints.

I haven't even gotten half-way through the Bible yet about verses were God smote this person, destroyed that nation, put His own people into slavery, and He himself killed babies.

Exod 12:29; Now it came about at midnight that the LORD struck all the firstborn in the land of Egypt , from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sat on his throne to the firstborn of the captive who was in the dungeon, and all the firstborn of cattle.
Exod 12:30; Pharaoh arose in the night, he and all his servants and all the Egyptians, and there was a great cry in Egypt, for there was no home where there was not someone dead.

God loves His children, He wishes that none of us would perish. But make no mistake... Many will.

Matt 7:13; "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
Matt 7:14; "For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

There are people who would like to take these verses out of the Bible. There are people who say God isn't like that, He would never hurt of punish anyone.
But these verses ARE in the Bible and there are more like them. Do not mistake who God is.

Matt 10:28; "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Rev 20:15; And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Numb 16:27; So they got back from around the dwellings of Korah, Dathan and Abiram; and Dathan and Abiram came out and stood at the doorway of their tents, along with their wives and their sons and their little ones.
Numb 16:28; Moses said, "By this you shall know that the LORD has sent me to do all these deeds; for this is not my doing.
Numb 16:29; "If these men die the death of all men or if they suffer the fate of all men, then the LORD has not sent me.
Numb 16:30; "But if the LORD brings about an entirely new thing and the ground opens its mouth and swallows them up with all that is theirs, and they descend alive into Sheol, then you will understand that these men have spurned the LORD."
Numb 16:31; As he finished speaking all these words, the ground that was under them split open;
Numb 16:32; and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them up, and their households, and all the men who belonged to Korah with their possessions.

Numb 16:33; So they and all that belonged to them went down alive to Sheol; and the earth closed over them, and they perished from the midst of the assembly.

Mainly OT verses.

How can love which by definition wants good and wrath wanting evil for another, abide in the same person at the same time?

Surely love will drive out wrath and wrath will drive out love. No one in there right mind would view a wrathful person as a loving person and vice-versa.

So the wrathful God of the Old Testament has become the loving God of the New Testament .

, do NOT categorize God like you would man.

Why not?

He has many human attributes. He gets emotional, He is personal, He loves, He hates, He talks, listens, comes, goes, gets tempted, tested, tired, He rests, He works, gets angry, happy, irritated, impatient, upset, jealous, anxious, worried, makes mistakes then rectifies them, etc plus we are made in his imagery, he has feet, hands, and other human physical attributes. In fact the Bible is full of anthropomorphism.

We read there of God’s mouth, out of which His word proceeds. He opens His eyes and sees the afflicted; He inclines his ears to hear their cry. He shows the light of his countenance and he conceals it.

Genesis 1:26-27, says, “Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image,in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” 27 So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them"

Psalm 18:1-19

John 1:14
14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Jesus has a human side.

Last edited:
Active
Mainly OT verses.

How can love which by definition wants good and wrath wanting evil for another, abide in the same person at the same time?

Surely love will drive out wrath and wrath will drive out love. No one in there right mind would view a wrathful person as a loving person and vice-versa.

So the wrathful God of the Old Testament has become the loving God of the New Testament .

I am not sure I agree with you on this. Love and wrath does abide in the Person of God at the same time. Though the situation may call for one to be more prevalent then the other, doesn't mean both are not always present in God.

The wrathful God of the Old Testament is the loving God of the New Testament. Even at this time God's wrath is upon the world. (Rom. 1:18-2:29) Yet at this time His love is shed over the world in the offer of salvation through Jesus Christ. (John 3:16)

Quantrill

Active
So, perhaps we should look at this New Testament wrath of God closer as described by Paul in (Rom. 1:18-2:29)

Paul had just declared in (Rom. 1:16-17) that the Gospel is the power of God resulting in salvation to those that believe, and that in it, that salvation, the righteousness of God is revealed. Or in other words, salvation is always the righteousness of God revealed. Not our righteousness.

And Paul wants to talk about this righteousness of God now revealed in the Gospel. But he hesitates, changes course, and for a brief time he will talk first about the wrath of God as it is now revealed. (Rom. 1:18) He will finish with the wrath of God in (Rom. 2:29), talk briefly about the condition or advantage of the Jew in (Rom. 3:1-20), and then in (Rom. 3:21) he picks up exactly where he left off in (Rom. 1:18) describing the righteousness of God revealed.

So, concerning the wrath of God revealed, Paul says, (Rom. 1:18), "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;" At first glance it is usually perceived that this is saying God's wrath is against the ungodliness and unrighteousness of men. But it adds, "men who hold the truth in unrighteousness". The term 'hold' here speaks to suppression. Men who suppress the truth.

So, God's wrath is not just against all wickedness of men. It is against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who have the truth and suppress the truth.

Quantrill