• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

The Lamb of God

Active
Does it not appear at times that people are partaking repeatedly of that wrong tree? It started with one simple rule which was simply disobeyed. Man has grown from there in his own ways including a tremendous knowledge through scientific study and such. Look at where the world of men [outside of believers, but including them as well in a measure] is today. We started twisting God's simple and perfect way after that first sin. For example as consider what Jesus said here:

"And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." Matt 19:4-6

Yet when we read the OT we see where polygamy was an apparently accepted way for even some of the so called patriarchs and even David the man after God's own heart.

How could David be one flesh with all of his several wives? What I see is that man had moved so far away from the simple perfect of Eden prior to that first disobedience, that God had to continuously guide people one step at the time to His right Way. The problem was that people kept on eating from that wrong tree. The possibility of really reversing this for most people did not exist until Jesus made a Way for it to happen.
Yes amadeus thats why I was putting it out there that Cain could have offered God fruit from the wrong tree. I know it says fruit of the ground, I dont know if it means fruit that was fallen on the ground...or a different kind of fruit that wasnt from the tree. Cain was a tiller of the ground but nothing indicates what kind of crops he was growing. It could have been figs....adam and eve hid behind fig leaves.

Contrast that with Abels offering. His firstborn with the fat...Jesus was the first born and anointed one. Theres a parallel there.

All through the OT people just did what was right in their own eyes only the faithful truly listened to God and discerned what His will was. We dont have any recorded conversation between Abel and God, but why was he keeping sheep? Well it was probably for clothes they needed. Wool.

I mean Abel could have kept any other animal, as other animals can be used for clothing but its significant he kept sheep.

Loyal
Yes amadeus thats why I was putting it out there that Cain could have offered God fruit from the wrong tree. I know it says fruit of the ground, I dont know if it means fruit that was fallen on the ground...or a different kind of fruit that wasnt from the tree. Cain was a tiller of the ground but nothing indicates what kind of crops he was growing. It could have been figs....adam and eve hid behind fig leaves.
Well it was definitely the wrong tree, spiritually for certain, and also possibly as you suggest, physically. The two [spiritual and physical] are not the same, but I am certain that they overlap at many times and in places.

Contrast that with Abels offering. His firstborn with the fat...Jesus was the first born and anointed one. Theres a parallel there.
Yes, the types and shadows of the NT in the OT are prevalent thoughout. It is not unusual for me to be reading anew in the OT and see a type of what is written in the NT.

All through the OT people just did what was right in their own eyes only the faithful truly listened to God and discerned what His will was. We dont have any recorded conversation between Abel and God, but why was he keeping sheep? Well it was probably for clothes they needed. Wool.

I mean Abel could have kept any other animal, as other animals can be used for clothing but its significant he kept sheep.
As we read through the OT we read many things about many animals, both those designated by the law given to Moses and clean and unclean. Individual animals are used for different purposes both physically and spiritually. Consider that at time both goats and sheep were acceptable for certain sacrifices under the law, yet we know from what Jesus said the difference between them is very sharp:

"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:" Matt 25:31-34

"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:" Matt 25:41

Active
Well it was definitely the wrong tree, spiritually for certain, and also possibly as you suggest, physically. The two [spiritual and physical] are not the same, but I am certain that they overlap at many times and in places.

Yes, the types and shadows of the NT in the OT are prevalent thoughout. It is not unusual for me to be reading anew in the OT and see a type of what is written in the NT.

As we read through the OT we read many things about many animals, both those designated by the law given to Moses and clean and unclean. Individual animals are used for different purposes both physically and spiritually. Consider that at time both goats and sheep were acceptable for certain sacrifices under the law, yet we know from what Jesus said the difference between them is very sharp:

"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:" Matt 25:31-34

"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:" Matt 25:41
Isnt it interesting that a shepherd in that parable is dividing sheep and goats. You dont really hear of goatherds these days but presumably there is such a thing. Primarily a shepherd will keep sheep...thats why they are called shepherds. The shepherd does need to keep the two kinds of animals apart because the goats are always in conflict with the sheep. They will be butting heads.

Active
Let's carry on with study to the next part of the bible which mentions sheep and lambs...the story of abraham and his son Isaac. Would anyone like to share that passage, its in Genesis.

A bit before that abraham makes a covenant with God and one of the animals he sacrifices is a ram, along with a she goat, a heifer, a turtledove and....I forget what else lets look it up!

Sorry thats Genesis 4.

Abel and Cain work hard and its time to offer the fruits of their labour to God, so Abel offers the firstlings of his flock and the fat up to Him and Cain offers his fruits from the ground.

Question, why the fat?

Another question, why is God pleased with Abels offering and not Cains?
Fat is the best part.
Cain had a attitude problem which became manifest in his murdering Abel.
BT

Active
I came across this proverb -

Proverbs 27:26-27

The lambs are for thy clothing and the goats are the price of the field.
Thou shalt have goats milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household and for the maintanence of thy maidens.

Staff Member
Greetings,

The shepherd does need to keep the two kinds of animals apart because the goats are always in conflict with the sheep. They will be butting heads.

pardon me but in all my time with both sheep and goats i have NEVER ever seen any such thing. Sounds nice butt.... I have yet to see it. Sheep head butt directly each other; goats raise and confront each other from a distance and then wham! Different actions from different animals. They do not butt each other as neither is a threat to the other's women folk (you nannies... I mean, ewes and nannies)

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
Thank you about the sheep and goats info. Have you kept sheep and goats?

Bless you ....><>

Last edited:
Active
Thank you about the sheep and goats info. Have you kept sheep and goats?

Bless you ....><>

Not personally but have worked on a farm. Sheep are very different in temperment to goats. Goats will also eat weeds wheras sheep prefer pasture i.e grass. Nz is known for its sheep not its goats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Active
Cain, why did he kill Abel? Abels blood cries out from the ground. Yes Cain has an attitude problem..,or rather a sin problem. He is mentioned later by the apostles as someone who was unrighteous and of the devil. The way of Cain is not the way christians ought to go.

Check out 1 John 3:12
And Jude 11

Active
Abel is also mentioned in the NT

In the faith 'hall of fame' in Hebrews 11:4 as the very first saint.

Hebrews 12:24 also mentions Abel. Why is Jesus speaking of better things than Abel?