• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Speaking In Tongues

After being baptised with the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Is it for speaking in tongues?

And can you speak in tongues at will?

That's how I've seen it manifested by some church members and even pastors.

I'd really like to know the right operation of speaking in tongues

Loyal
Speaking is only "one" of the gifts.

1 Cor 12:8; For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit;
1 Cor 12:9; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
1 Cor 12:10; and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.

Paul says we desire to prophesy, it is a "greater" gift.

1 Cor 14:5; Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.

There are two kinds of speaking in tongues. The first way comes from you. After practice you can pretty much do it whenever you want. It is you speaking and praying in the Spirit.
Usually this is done in a more private and quiet way. It seems for most people this is done alone in quiet prayer time. Some people do this during worship (music) service, but even then it is usually just between them and God.
This is more a private conversation of sorts.

The other way it is done, is during an assembly or service. This is usually done with a loud speaking out, everyone else in the assembly should remain quiet. This type of tongues doesn't come from you, but rather it comes
from the Holy Spirit giving you utterance. Paul says this can only happen (or less) times during a service.

1 Cor 14:27; If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret;
1 Cor 14:28; but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God.
1 Cor 14:29; Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others pass judgment.

This doesn't have to happen every time people meet, but if it does happen, there must be an interpreter. If no one interprets, then the person who was speaking in tongues must remain silent.
There can also be up to three prophesies.

1 Cor 14:39; Therefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak in tongues.

Thanks for your help B A C,

This was a discussion with family members on the subject.

And their stance is, speaking in tongues requires , an assembly with the movement of the spirit.

Thank again for your help.

After being baptised with the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Is it for speaking in tongues?

And can you speak in tongues at will?

That's how I've seen it manifested by some church members and even pastors.

I'd really like to know the right operation of speaking in tongues
Speaking in tongues is exactely how it was happen in acts 2:1-12 specially verse 8. And also read 1Corinthians 14:1-25.

This is the truth speaking in tongues. Knowing the tongues of other ciuntries like we can easier today. Or by the Holy Spirit speaking to another tongues that you never have known before. I wrote now in my bad English, but this is my tongue: "Kon bai tur hende" I said how are everybody.

Greetings,
Hmmm that can't be true cause we do.
Guess you will have to change the no one to maybe some don't.

Blessings
Hello W4F

The spoke in languages at the time of the Apostles.
Actual languages, I believe that.
People making silly rhyming noises is just silly rhyming noises.
It is not, speaking, praying, or singing in tongues,

Staff Member

Greetings,

why did they? As in, is there a reason that 'speaking in tongues' manifested at that time?
Does Scripture give us any indication or direction on this?

Bless you ....><>

Greetings,

why did they? As in, is there a reason that 'speaking in tongues' manifested at that time?
Does Scripture give us any indication or direction on this?

Bless you ....><>
Hello BB,
yes, in the text itself;
2 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

Joel spoke of this manifestation of sign gifts to authenticate the Apostles New Covenant message;

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.

33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all

Loyal
Hello W4F

People making silly rhyming noises is just silly rhyming noises.
It is not, speaking, praying, or singing in tongues,
Greetings Iconoclast,
You are free to believe anything you desire and yet it doesn't mean it's correct.
When I was a toddler I used to believe I could pick up the bucket with me sitting in it.

Now then, in what possible way do you see scripture backing your belief?

Have a very Blessed Day
Wired

Loyal
1 Cor 13:1; If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

I wonder what language the angels speak?

1 Cor 14:10; There are, perhaps, a great many kinds of languages in the world, and no kind is without meaning.
1 Cor 14:11; If then I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be to the one who speaks a barbarian, and the one who speaks will be a barbarian to me.
1 Cor 14:12; So also you, since you are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek to abound for the edification of the church.
1 Cor 14:13; Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.

If the apostles always spoke in a tongue someone understood, I wonder why it needed to be interpreted?

Mark 16:17; "These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues;
Mark 16:18; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

I wonder why Jesus said it was one of the signs that will follow those who believe in Him?

Staff Member
Greetings,

All accounts in Scripture are in the tongue of the ones spoken to without any fleshy emotion or non-sense. They delivered messages from the Lord according to His will and pleasure.

If the apostles always spoke in a tongue someone understood, I wonder why it needed to be interpreted?

Agreed that the idea of always in a tongue someone understood is a bit of an oxymoron but in the light of what the post you are responding to, it would appear that the language or tongue used was able to be interpreted, in other words, was of a language understandable.

The word we use in our tongue for interpret is

dierméneuó

Strong's Concordance
dierméneuó: to explain thoroughly, by impl. to translate

Original Word: διερμηνεύω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: dierméneuó
Phonetic Spelling: (dee-er-main-yoo'-o)
Definition: to explain thoroughly, by implication to translate
Usage: I translate, interpret, explain.

which somehow encompasses translate as well as interpret, so we ought to be a little berean in our approach, methinks.

I wonder why Jesus said it was one of the signs that will follow those who believe in Him?

and one might wonder why those other activities are not so obvious or frequent as only 'speaking in tongues' is, today?

Mark 16:17; "These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues;
Mark 16:18; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
Hello BB,
yes, in the text itself;
2 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

Joel spoke of this manifestation of sign gifts to authenticate the Apostles New Covenant message;

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.

33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all

Greetings,

do you know any Old Testament Scripture pertaining to this, some prophecy, for example?
We find, if we look and/or have our desire towards God in all things, that the occurrences as recorded in the New Testament concerning Jesus Christ and the Church are prophesied and in seeing the fulfillment of prophecy, we can be grounded and not simply go along with the latest trend of the age.

Thank you for your reply,

Bless you ....><>

Greetings Iconoclast,
You are free to believe anything you desire and yet it doesn't mean it's correct.
When I was a toddler I used to believe I could pick up the bucket with me sitting in it.

Now then, in what possible way do you see scripture backing your belief?

Have a very Blessed Day
Wired
There were signs of the Apostles 2 cor 12:12. The signs and miracles were used to attest to their word,Acts 4::33, 5:12,14:3

1 Cor 13:1; If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Cor 14:10; There are, perhaps, a great many kinds of languages in the world, and no kind is without meaning.
1 Cor 14:11; If then I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be to the one who speaks a barbarian, and the one who speaks will be a barbarian to me.
1 Cor 14:12; So also you, since you are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek to abound for the edification of the church.
1 Cor 14:13; Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.

Angel's were messengers. They would speak whatever language the person spoke.
In Mk16:20...we are told the Lord confirmed His word with sign gifts
It was spoken to those who heard and believed the Apostolic preaching...not everyone

Loyal
There were signs of the Apostles 2 cor 12:12. The signs and miracles were used to attest to their word,Acts 4::33, 5:12,14:3
Nothing in your scriptures says only for or done away with.

The stance you are taking does not line up with other scriptures such as...
Acts 1:8 and Mark 16:17 and more so therefore your stance or use of is within error.

Blessings

Greetings,

do you know any Old Testament Scripture pertaining to this, some prophecy, for example?
We find, if we look and/or have our desire towards God in all things, that the occurrences as recorded in the New Testament concerning Jesus Christ and the Church are prophesied and in seeing the fulfillment of prophecy, we can be grounded and not simply go along with the latest trend of the age.

Thank you for your reply,

Bless you ....><>
Yes..on isa28:7-13 it was said God would speak to the apostate nation with other tongues, which Paul quotes in 1 cor14:21

Joel 2-3 is quoted by Peter,Acts 2:16
..this is that spoken by Joel

Nothing in your scriptures says only for or done away with.

The stance you are taking does not line up with other scriptures such as...
Acts 1:8 and Mark 16:17 and more so therefore your stance or use of is within error.

Blessings
It lines up fine. The sign gifts along with Apodtles on earth ceased as partial knowledge became made perfect. 1 cor 13 is clear
Hebrews 2 :1-4 is clear. Rev 22 is clear, no new revelation

Loyal
It lines up fine. The sign gifts along with Apodtles on earth ceased as partial knowledge became made perfect. 1 cor 13 is clear
Hebrews 2 :1-4 is clear. Rev 22 is clear, no new revelation
Friend some place along the line you have yielded yourself to some spirits other then the Holy Spirit in Your THINKING.

In order to make what you are trying to make true you violate other Scriptures.

Not to mention in order to make your claim true then you must make Jesus a LIAR such as Mark 16:17.

As I said your thinking is hindered.
At this point you are simply aiding the devil in perverting Gods Word.

Blessings

Friend some place along the line you have yielded yourself to some spirits other then the Holy Spirit in Your THINKING.

In order to make what you are trying to make true you violate other Scriptures.

Not to mention in order to make your claim true then you must make Jesus a LIAR such as Mark 16:17.

As I said your thinking is hindered.
At this point you are simply aiding the devil in perverting Gods Word.

Blessings
It seems that way to you as you are trying to make error fit into the verses.
Mk.16 speaks of God working with the Apostles preaching in verse20.
I guess you missed that part.