• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Speaking in tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Holy Spirit touches everyone differently. I have spoken in tounges for 1 1/2 years. Sometimes the same words flow and sometimes different words altogether come out. When we pray in tongues we are praying in the Holy Spirit directly to God and it bypasses our minds. We are to pray for interpretation, which I do. Praying in the Spirit always brings me peace. It depends on the situation (stress, pain, praying for or over someone.etc.) as to which language comes forth from my mouth. It is a spiritual weapon and gift, it is not given for a spiritual "Wow, that's cool". I don't believe in trying to "kickstart" the Spirit by saying "lalalalalalalala" until tongues come. If you truly want tongues pray for the gift. It will come. Maybe soon, or you may wait a while. It will be in God's time. :present:

lll3 said:
The Holy Spirit touches everyone differently. I have spoken in tounges for 1 1/2 years. Sometimes the same words flow and sometimes different words altogether come out. When we pray in tongues we are praying in the Holy Spirit directly to God and it bypasses our minds-----

1 Cor. 14:14For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

15What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Rom. 8:26Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

27And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

I think sometimes tongues are 'learned' as on the God TV one time I couldn't make my mind up about what was going on in one of their conferences, until one lady said, 'now we shall speak in tongues' well that was it for me I switched off then and have'nt had much interest since, although I do like to listen to a few who I commend as speaking the Word of the Lord such as Andrew Wommack, Joyce Meyers, the Coplands, Paul Gamble and his daughter Charlotte, and Rory but mostly Wendy Alec
Anyone else watch it? I think I was being told to leave it alone for a time, which I'm doing, not that I was addicted, but once I put it on it was hard to leave it.
I'm having lots of time out with Jesus, now with having broken my hip but he has shown me how to 'rest' in him and I don't have to be busy, he has turned it for good as he promised us. Bless Him, our Saviour how sweet is His name.

We are told in I corinthians to desire the gifts of the Spirit- even covet them. If you dont have a deep desire for them you wont recieve. Covet is not a bad word- its only when we covet wrong things that its bad . That is how much we should desire spiritual gifts. We are spiritaua beings and God works thru us by his Spirit. They are needful in this life. The gifts are not just for a church setting or just private, but are for everyday situations. For instance, when He gives me a word of knowledge or word of wisdom , then I know about a situation that no one has told me but God - there is no other way I would know. And He shows me what to do about the situation. We all need help in our daily lives and we would avoid many wrong decisions.

I think if everyone would do an intensive study on the church of Corinth, they would find it to be one of the most spiritually immature churches to which Paul wrote. There was always confusion among them. The tongues were languages..the miracle was not in the ability to speak, but that everyone, being from different nationalities, heard the message given in their own language and understood...the unknown was made known. Why is it that the gift of tongues is sought more than any other gift? Personally, I and many others have more difficulty with the tongue we have, so why seek another? Study James' account on the tongue...no one goes there, why? (James 1: 26-27; James 3:1-18). Also , if researched in detail you will find that the modern day tongues movement was begun by a woman, if the women are to "...keep silence in the churches:for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they learn any thing let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." (1 Corinthians 14:34-35). These verses follow some of the verses given in previous posts about the unknown tongue and interpretation. If the women were silent, the tongues would cease. There are so many good gifts given to believers that benefit them and others more than the gift of tongues, it would be better to pray for them and pray that the Lord would help us bridle/get control of our own.

TDS52 said:
I think if everyone would do an intensive study on the church of Corinth, they would find it to be one of the most spiritually immature churches to which Paul wrote. There was always confusion among them. The tongues were languages..the miracle was not in the ability to speak, but that everyone, being from different nationalities, heard the message given in their own language and understood...the unknown was made known. Why is it that the gift of tongues is sought more than any other gift? Personally, I and many others have more difficulty with the tongue we have, so why seek another? Study James' account on the tongue...no one goes there, why? (James 1: 26-27; James 3:1-18). Also , if researched in detail you will find that the modern day tongues movement was begun by a woman, if the women are to "...keep silence in the churches:for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they learn any thing let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." (1 Corinthians 14:34-35). These verses follow some of the verses given in previous posts about the unknown tongue and interpretation. If the women were silent, the tongues would cease. There are so many good gifts given to believers that benefit them and others more than the gift of tongues, it would be better to pray for them and pray that the Lord would help us bridle/get control of our own.

You have made some good points, but don't confuse the carnal tongue with the spirtual tongues.

1Corinthians 13:11*
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

We should desire all the Spiritual Gifts according to 1Cor. 14:1 . What do you think it indicates when we don't?
1Corinthians14:1-5
1*Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. 2*For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3*But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4*He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5*I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Do you consider your faith to be important?

Jude 20
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost.

How about when our understanding is limited in a situation?

Romans 8:26&27
26*Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

You made reference to James 3:1-18

James 3:7&8*
For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: 8*but the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

I find it kind of amazing that when one seeks a deeper walk and receives the baptism of the Holy Spirit, that in many cases the first thing to take place is God controls what man cannot.

The spiritual Gifts of the Holy Spirit are just that. They are not natural talents. They are given to the Body of Christ to accomplish the will and purpose of God our Father. The root of ignoring, discrediting or claiming that the spitritual Gifts have ceased, comes from man trying to accomplish the will and purpose of God on his own, which is impossible.

There are twenty five "spiritual gifts" outlined in Scripture. Every Christian has been equipped by God with one or more. We are to discover what our gift(s) is/are and how to use it/them, in order to become spiritually mature Christians.
(1) Prophecy- Luke 7:26; Acts 15:32; Acts 21:9-11; Romans 12:6; 1 Cor. 12:10,28; Eph.4:11-14
(2) Pastor- John 10:1-18; Eph.4:11-14; 1 Tim.3:1-7; 1 Pet.5:1-3
(3) Teaching- Acts 18:24-28; Acts 20:20-21; Rom.12:17; 1 Cor.12:28; Eph.4:11-14
(4) Wisdom- Acts 6:3, 10; 1 Cor.2:1-13; 1 Cor.12:8, Jam.1:5-6; 2 Pet. 3:15-16
(5) Knowledge-Acts 5:1-11; 1 Cor.2:14; 1 Cor.12:8; 2 Cor.11:6; Col.2:2-3
(6) Exhortation-Acts 14:22; Rom. 12:8; 1 Tim.4:13; Heb.10:25
(7) Discerning of spirits-Matt.16:21-23, Acts 5:1-11; Acts 16:16-18, 1 Cor. 12:10; 1 John 4:1-6
(8) Giving- Mark 12:41-44; Rom.12:8; 2 Cor.8:1-7; 2 Cor 9:2-8
(9) Helps-Mark 15:40-41; Luke 8:2-3; Acts 9:36; Rom. 16:1-2; 1 Cor.12:28
(10) Mercy-Matt. 20:29-34; Matt.25:34-40; Mark 9:41; Luke 10:33-35; Acts 11:28-30; Acts 16:33-34; Rom. 12:8
(11) Missionary-Acts 8:4; Acts 13:2-3; Acts 22:21; Rom. 10:15; 1 Cor.9:19-23
(12) Evangelist-Acts 8:5-6; Acts 8:26-40; Acts 14:21; Acts 21:8; Eph.4:11-14; 2 Tim.2:4
(13) Hospitality-Acts 16:14-15; Rom. 12:9-13; Rom.16:23; Heb.13:1-2; 1 Pet.4:9
(14) Faith- Acts 11:22-24; Acts 27:21-25; Rom. 4:18-21; 1 Cor. 12:9; Heb. 11
(15) Leadership-Luke 9:51; Acts 7:10; Acts 15:7-11; Rom.12:8; 1 Tim. 5:17; Heb.13:17
(16) Administration- Luke 14:28-30; Acts 6:1-7; Acts 27:11; 1 Cor. 12:28; Titus 1:5
(17) Miracles- Acts 9:36-42; Acts 19:11-20; Acts 20:7-12; Rom. 15:18-19; 1 Cor.12:10,28; 2 Cor.12:12
(18) Healing- Acts 3:1-10; Acts 5:12-16; Acts 9:32-35; Acts 28:7-10; 1 Cor. 12:9,28
(19) Tongues-Mark 16:17; Acts 2: 1-13; Acts 10:44-46; Acts 19:1-7; 1 Cor.12:10,28; 1 Cor. 14:13-19
(20) Interpretation- 1 Cor.12:10,30; 1 Cor.14:13; 1 Cor. 14:26-28
(21) Voluntary poverty-Acts 2:44-45; Acts 4:34-37; 1 Cor. 13:1-3; 2 Cor. 6:10; 2 Cor. 8:9
(22) Celibacy-Matt. 19:10-12; 1 Cor. 7:7-8
(23) Intercession-Luke 22:41-44; Acts 12:12; Col.1:9-12; Col.4:12-13; 1 Tim. 2:1-2; Jam.5:14-16
(24) Exorcism-Matt.12:22-32; Luke 10:12-20; Acts 8:5-8; Acts 16:16-18
(25) Service-Acts 6:1-7; Rom. 12:7; Gal.6:2,10; 2 Tim.1:16-18; Titus 3:14

Spiritual gifts have never ceased. As long as there are Christians, they will be around and God uses them to accomplish His purpose and will on earth. Man is the vessel through which the Spiritual gifts are channeled yielding the fruit of the Spirit "...love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance, against such there is no law."(Gal.5:22-23). The fruit is singular, but branches out from God, to our fellowman and produces outstanding results within ourselves.

God extends His grace to ALL and there is NO second work of grace given to a few specific believers who want to be closer to the LORD than others. We are ALL on level ground with Christ...no big "I's" and little "you's"...Calvary made that difference. Christ does all the living and work in, with, and through us. He makes no mistakes.

If any would like to take some tests on discovering your Spiritual gifts, you may ask at a local Christian bookstore for questionnaires : Wagner-Modified Houts Questionnaire...Finding Your Spiritual Gifts and/or Spiritual Gifts Inventory questionnaire by Dr. Larry Gilbert. It might be interesting to find out that your Spiritual gift(s) is not "tongues" and that they may not even be your gift or one of your gifts. Many churches require their new members to take these tests to help learn what ministry the member will be suited for in that body of believers.

Last edited:
good post, we probably don't agree on everthing( baptism of the Holy Spirit and Fire, prayer tongues and spiritual gift of tongues and so on) but it's ok one day we will all agree and we will have a fuller knowledge. There is no need to debate this here the scriptures and the Holy Spirit are available for anyone who seeks Truth, again really good post, Amen.

TDS52 said:
I think if everyone would do an intensive study on the church of Corinth, they would find it to be one of the most spiritually immature churches to which Paul wrote. There was always confusion among them.

I've done an intensive study on the Corinthian Church. Here it is.

http://www.loveofchrist.info/church/corinthains.html

Your response, in my opinion, is very inadequate, but it has served its purpose in the church, as Corinthians is a problem for those who would base church practice on tradition rather than Scripture. The principles set out by Paul in Corinthians apply to all church communities. What you are saying in essence is that because there were abnomalities to Christian practice, the apostle's principles for solving them were abnormal. Well, I do want to be polite, but I think there is a problem with the logic there.

But then, I believe in speaking in tongues

http://www.loveofchrist.info/theology/holyspirit.html

Regards,
Paul

---Personally, I and many others have more difficulty with the tongue we have, so why seek another? Study James' account on the tongue...no one goes there, why? (James 1: 26-27; James 3:1-18)---

I do !! I go there quite often. Why ?- Because our words matter more than people think they do. I only posted a fraction of the verses that speaks of the tongue, the power of words. See my post :

Praise and Worship > Help and Council > THE POWER OF WORDS

No man can tame the tongue - only the Lord.So if we yield our tongue to the Holy Spirit and let Him have control of it we wont be saying things we shouldnt. Most people want to control it themselves, but fail at it alot. Actually they just want to say anything they want to say. But there are consequences. The more we pray in the Spirit the more we learn to be yielded to Him.. We're more sensitive to Him and will not be talking so much in the flesh or saying the wrong thing. If we will listen closely after we pray in the Spirit He will many times give us the answer to the problem we were just praying about. The gifts of the Spirit are very practical for our everyday life.

Jude 1:19These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.

20But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

21Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Last edited:
The following verses are all taken from 1 Corinthians chapter 14.

For anyone who speaks in tongues does not speak to men but to God...he utters mysteries with his spirit. Verse 2

He who speaks in tongues edifies himself...I would like everyone of you to speak in tongues. Verses 4a & 5

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I WILL PRAY WITH MY SPIRIT AND I WILL PRAY WITH MY MY MIND, I WILL SING WITH MY SPIRIT AND I WILL SING WITH MY MIND. Verses 14 & 15

I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. Verse 18

Do not forbid speaking in tongues. Verse 39

Praying in tongues - with the Spirit - is a wonderful blessing for the individual Christian. Speaking in tongues prophetically (plus the other spiritual gifts) are a blessing for the church.

:love:
evangeline

Last edited:
avondaledot said:
Ricky I can only speak for myself.I wanted what some of the other Christains had and I watched every one very closely whenever whatever they did that I hadn't heard or seen before.That didn't help me as speaking in tongues go.Every one was trying to get me to speak so they would say thank you Jesus ,then at the sone time someone else would tell me some other way to say somethingthen somone would tell me to loosen my tongue.Pray tell me how someone loosen it.I was spiting,doing tongue twisters,my mouth was tired and dry.I just wanted to go home .People just don't know the damage they do to people like me that wants Jesus. If I wasn't confused before boy I sure was by the time they let me out .So I can't help you on what you asking.All I can say is that people don't relizes the harm they are doing to us.I say trust God and if He wants me to say anything then I won't have worry about if Iwas doing it right or maybe I was so bad that I wasn't worthy enough to do it.
Good luck,A sister in Christ

I totally understand what you say, you possibly felt pressurised into saying things and trying things out etc and in the mean time getting stressed, when there is no peace its from the devil, the devil certainly doesnt want us to speak in tongues as he flees when we do, so he will try anything form telling you that you are false and making it up, to your off your head and will bring fear and destruction, however after i prayed for the baptism of holy spirit i had words floating around inside my head not head but deep in my spirit, it took me weeks to finally have the faith to speak them, but when i finally did it came gushing like living water and i knew for certain it was real, GOD wants all of us to speak in tongues in private to him when paul says do all speak in tongues in corinthians i believe that he means public tongues as a message by gods providence for interpretation.
Think back to when we were first saved how many people have we heard saying i believe, i believe, i believe, and then saying huh nothings working, well its the same belief that got us saved will help us recieve the gifts of the spirit. i Pray thatthis will be of help to anyone who maybe struggling with tongues, Dont give up! have peace, dont be rushed, but the most important scripture i found that helped me was ACTS 2:4 AND THEY WERE ALL FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT AND BEGAN TO SPEAK IN TONGUES AS THE SPIRIT GAVE THEM UTTERANCE! Note as the spirit gave them utterance. You have to have faith to speak and believe you have recieved the gift, your lips wont move on there own, god wont force them on you, its all about faith.

Isaiah 26:26, John 11:33 & Romans 8:26

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Isaiah 26:26

When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled. John 11:33

Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Romans 8:26

Jehovah Jireh said:
I totally understand what you say, you possibly felt pressurised into saying things and trying things out etc and in the mean time getting stressed, when there is no peace its from the devil, the devil certainly doesnt want us to speak in tongues as he flees when we do, so he will try anything form telling you that you are false and making it up, to your off your head and will bring fear and destruction, however after i prayed for the baptism of holy spirit i had words floating around inside my head not head but deep in my spirit, it took me weeks to finally have the faith to speak them, but when i finally did it came gushing like living water and i knew for certain it was real, GOD wants all of us to speak in tongues in private to him when paul says do all speak in tongues in corinthians i believe that he means public tongues as a message by gods providence for interpretation.
Think back to when we were first saved how many people have we heard saying i believe, i believe, i believe, and then saying huh nothings working, well its the same belief that got us saved will help us recieve the gifts of the spirit. i Pray thatthis will be of help to anyone who maybe struggling with tongues, Dont give up! have peace, dont be rushed, but the most important scripture i found that helped me was ACTS 2:4 AND THEY WERE ALL FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT AND BEGAN TO SPEAK IN TONGUES AS THE SPIRIT GAVE THEM UTTERANCE! Note as the spirit gave them utterance. You have to have faith to speak and believe you have recieved the gift, your lips wont move on there own, god wont force them on you, its all about faith.

ricky,
I read your thread. As many have written advises, I don't go to advises. But as per my experience and the Bible, tongues is a gift from God through which we can directly talk to God. And none understands even Satan doesn't understand. Many times, God has answered my prayers, if I worship him in tongues. And regarding laying of spriit is not in Bible. But if Holy spirit does that to you personally, you willhave to accept it if it edifies your spirit. But frankly I don't have such experience

i do agree with maximus. Yes, if your church is allowing you for tongues, that church is a strong church because the people edify themeselves.

hmm.. ok, i havent read all these threads, so i duno if wot im guna say has been sed already..

at my church, we have ppl who speak in tounges if the Holy Spirit puts it on their hearts to speak it.. HOWEVER, we then have some1 interpret it.. like God will put in2 that person's mouth the interpreatation of what was said...

so yea... thats my input..

duno if it helps...

yeah

Well i once herd that speaking in Tounges is the Devil talkin trying to lure us towards him and away from God. and that also there is not such thing as speaking in tounges it is just some one speakign in Jibberish or somehtign and then the 'interpreter' has somethign on his heart and wants to share it... not Xactly a laughign matter

i dunno why they woudl have suggested this but if some oen can... Prove me right so i can prove them wrong then that woudl be helpful... liek Actual Evidence and physical stuff opther that Pray abo it... LOL it woudl be helpful

Love simon!!!

Heya. I'll try and have a look into it and try and get some answers for you. I totally get where you're coming from? Corinthians chapter 13 has a bit on the gifts of the holy spirit, but I'll try and look for lots more.
God Bless x.x.x.

:rose: One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is speaking in tongue, (Holy Speak):rose:
Does anyone at talkjesus speak in tongue and could you describe what it is all about. I would like to think that it still exists, as it is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit. If you do speak in tongue, could you describe it to us and how you interpet what you are saying. Thank you. Amen: Pixie:rose:

well it is different for each one . I have no idea what the language is that I speak and I do not always get interpretation . I think thats why the Lord said : in first cor.

14 sPursue love, and tearnestly desire the uspiritual gifts, especially that you may vprophesy. 2 For wone who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. 3 On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. 4 The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. 5 Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but xeven more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up.

6 Now, brothers,3 if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you unless I bring you some yrevelation or knowledge or prophecy or zteaching? 7 If even lifeless instruments, such as the flute or the harp, do not give distinct notes, how will anyone know what is played? 8 And aif the bugle gives an indistinct sound, who will get ready for battle? 9 So with yourselves, if with your tongue you utter speech that is not intelligible, how will anyone know what is said? For you will be bspeaking into the air. 10 There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning, 11 but if I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be ca foreigner to the speaker and the speaker a foreigner to me. 12 So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church.

13 Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray for the power to interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. 15 What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; dI will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing ewith my mind also. 16 Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider1 say f “Amen” to gyour thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying? 17 For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up. 18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

20 Brothers, hdo not be children in your thinking. iBe infants in evil, but in your thinking be jmature. 21 kIn the Law it is written, l “By people of strange tongues and by the lips of foreigners will I speak to this people, and even then they will not listen to me, says the Lord.” 22 Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign2 not for unbelievers but for believers. 23 If, therefore, the whole church comes together and all speak in tongues, and outsiders or unbelievers enter, mwill they not say that you are out of your minds? 24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all, 25 nthe secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, ofalling on his face, he will worship God and pdeclare that God is really among you.

Orderly Worship

26 What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has qa hymn, ra lesson, a revelation, sa tongue, or tan interpretation. uLet all things be done for building up. 27 If any speak in sa tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. 28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.

I know it took some getting used to and the inflection sounds wierd to me still . I like it tho , so many times I have no idea where to start or what to pray so I use it to start (usually to myself as it tends to unerve some people) and most of the time I get enough interpretation to have a direction to go in , but agian its not an all the time thing . It just sounds like any foreign to your ears language . When I do get interpretation I "hear" the english in my head while the other is comming out of my mouth ..I hope that helps , yes the gifts are for today but as you can see its not the noticable gifts we are told to ask for .. and want the most .. Blessings to you Pixie hugs Debbie

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.