• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Secular music

What sort(Christian/Secular) of music you listen to?

• Only Christian

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • Only Secular

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Both

Votes: 61 64.2%

• Total voters
There are so many good bands coming up now...I've totally stopped listening to secular music...Infact now I don't even feel the longing for that kinda music.
Just wanna know how many brothers/sisters listen to only Christian music??And also tell me what you think about secular music..

Naomi :love:

Last edited:
I personally don't listen to secular music, have no interest in listening to it. I listen only to Christian music as it is worship to God as I sing along, and builds me up in my faith. :shade:

well umm...i hardly listen to christian music...
i like secular music more...but christian music can be very good to...
and if i listen to it then i just listen to the WOW cd´s...

god bless
kara

I think, for those who don't listen to a lot of Christian music , you should listen to Hillsong UNITED or just any of the songs they air on on The Dream on Godtv or Essential selection .Blimey,you won't ever feel the need to listen to secular music again...I am a huge music lover...Before I became a Christian I used to listen to Eminem,50 Cent etc etc...I was addicted to it ,now thanks to great music from Marty Samspon,Sonic Flood,Tribe ,DC tALK etc...I've been delivered

Naomi :love:

Last edited:
I prefer Christian music; the lyrics and especially the videos for a lot of secular music just do not appeal to me. The only problem is that I am a leader in our Youth Group, and I have no idea what the teens in our group like because I don't listen to the music they're listening to (!) . Having said that, there are some songs by secular bands that I like & listen to.

I listen to secular music along with christian music but that doesn't make me any less of a christian than someone who listens to only Christian music. I like jazz, new age, country, bubblegum pop, easy listening music.

Alot of secular music gets in you if you know what I mean. We need to be careful what we listen to and what we watch on t.v. Besides Christian music is better anyway, we can worship our Father and listen to great music, amen. Love in Christ, Amber.

The Lord put a desire in my heart to listen to only Christian music. I used to listen to a little of everything. The change came after I saw "The Passion". Matter of fact, many aspects of my walk with Jesus changed shortly thereafter. I can't relate to secular music. So much of it is depressing and sexually oriented. I listen to talk radio part of the day, mainly to stay on top of what is going on so I can pray for different people and situations.

I personally only listen to Christian music. Its what my heart prefers. I love to hear lyrics and songs that worship our Father! I tend to stay away from secular. Although there are some songs that have alot of meaning. but the true meaning in my opnion should be focused on Christ.

I listen almost exclusively to Christian music. Before I was saved, music was a big part of my life. So for me, the change happend in my choice of music very quickly. At work, there are some radios tuned to secular music that I hear now and again, but I don't hear very much that impresses me.

It could be the change in me that happened when I was reborn, but I don't think there is much out there in the way of talent. (kinda like the 80's for me) I liked 70's music during the 80's. I listened to Zepplin, Doors, pink floyd, Stones, Jimmi Hendrix, etc...while all my friend were listening to the 80's big hair rock bands, or British homosexual coke snorting pop...lol. (this was all before I was saved) But like I said, it may just be the change in me that happend when I was saved.

All that being said, there are some, not many, bands/songs that I think sound good. I don't own thier CDs, and really don't know what they are like in terms of their stance on Christ, or drugs, or sex. That's prolly why I just stay away. I'm afraid to polute my mind and heart. Christian music tends to keep me focused on Christ, and that is exactly what I need.

God bless,
Nigh

I personally find listenin to christian music touches me more than any type of music..But i would like to keep in touch about the type of music that's developing outside the christian scene. Just makes me more aware.But Christian music is far the best choice as its just soo true.

As a Christian man, follower of the Master.

Nothing thrills me more than to be in gathering of like minded Christians, and His Name is being lifted up in song.

"Praise Him in the sanctuary, Praise Him in the mighty heavens, Praise Him, the whole world Praise Him.........etc. etc. (Darlene Zech, Hillsongs) Absolutely Wonderful. Top Notch. Absolutely Paramount.

But I also enjoy "Darling let me be your loving teddy bear, Put a chain around my neck........" ect. etc. My youth in the sixties.

I thank God for my wife, I am sure He brought us together. 40 years back this August..2006

I am thrilled that we love the Lord. We also enjoy the love and romantic music provided by secular singers.

Is listening to secular music a sin?

1. Phil 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.

Questions to ask yourself when listening to certain secular music: Are the lyrics of the song true? Does it have pure message? Is it praiseworthy? The answer is between yourself and your God. God wants us to be wise with what we put in our mind.

If the songs you are listening to promotes and encourages some sinful actions, you know beyond a doubt, that this song does not praise God, but the devil. We should be very careful with what we listen to. I would encourage you to not listen to music that has swearing or a false message about life. Don't fill your mind with garbage that can hinder your progress to God's kingdom.

2. I Cor. 10:31- 33 "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved"

Anything you do, do it to the glory of God. This will prevent you from making big mistakes. Does the song you listen to give glory to God? Be honest with yourself. Don't be deceived!

3. Some people are out there to get rich. What sells the best on today's market? Sex, vulgar language and self-glorification. What can this lead to?

1 Tim 6:9-10:People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

4. Make sure you can give thanks to God in whatever you do.

Eph 5:4:
Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

Other verses.....

I John 2:15 -17 declares "Do not love the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world, the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does - comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the one who does the will of God lives forever."

I Thessalonians 5:23 " May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ"

God Bless
hadirfuss

Last edited:
Hi everybody

I don't think that listening to secular music is a sin, it just depends on the content of the lyrics. There are several secular songs that are positive and clean and have very good massage e.g. I believe I can fly by R. Kelly, I can make it through the rain by Mariah Carey etc. If the songs contain profanity or crude and distasteful in lyrical content, than your conscience should convict you that you should not be listening to that kind of music
(otherwise it will lead you into sin).

Godbless! :note: :note2: :note:

i mostly listen to Christian music but every once in awhile i do listen to some country. Mostly when i am going into town because we don't have a local christian station where i live. I am planning on getting an Mp3 player or a iPod on which i would put my Christian music. But when i get one is another story.

I listen to both but listen more to Christian music. A lot of secular music is garbage. Don't even get me started on MTV. I think if it doesn't go against the bible, it's fine to listen to. If it goes against, don't listen. Be careful though too because I was listening to a Christian song the other day that was not biblical at all, and quite frankly was a lie. So always be careful

I listen to both and I think it's okay
but there are non-christians band I do not listen to, ACDC or things like that e.g.

but I know poeple saying every music of non-christians is eeeeeevil but I know many church-songs which have the melody of an old non-christian song so what are these songs like? christian because of the lyrics or non-christian because of the melody?! :wink:

I listen to both. There is alot of secular music that is not sexual or evil in any way but then there is alot of secular music that is. Usually RnB and Hip Hop is the worst and ofcourse some metal. Most of the christian music I know of isnt really that great "musicaly". Nice lyrichs wich I enjoy but if I want to listen to some real music I put on some moody jazz, funk or rock records :)

Administrator
Staff Member
I grew up listening to Guns N' Roses since I was about 7 or 8 years old. I still listen to it and it does have the rock n' roll attitude (loud adrenaline, curses, drug talk, etc.). I have been praying that GOD find a replacement for this, and if only you knew how difficult it is to move away from such music. I love the music, can't deny it. I love the powerful adrenaline, the energy but guess what? Sometimes, it goes too far (I start driving 120 mph for example LOL).

But I must say praise GOD because He has shown me some awesome Christian type music. I listen to such kinds as Casting Crowns, Rebecca St.James, Hillsong to name a few. Good stuff.

By the way, if there is any Christian song that pumps me up on adrenaline would have to be Hillsong's "Our God". That song almost got me a speeding ticket LOL.