• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

many or few?

Active
Agape love is greater than any other kind of love. It is sacrificial, unconditional,
charitable love. It's the sort of love that says: I will love you and care for you
regardless of how you feel or what you say or how you react.

Take for instance Rom 5:8. The love spoken of in that passage is agape. However,
it doesn't speak of either devotion or long term care, rather, it's strictly business,
viz: many for whom Christ gave his life are on a road to Hell and they are going to
stay on that road and end up in Hell regardless.
_

Last edited:
Active
Take for instance Rom 5:8. The love spoken of in that passage is agape. However,
it doesn't speak of either devotion or long term care, rather, it's strictly business,
viz: many for whom Christ gave his life are on a road to Hell and they are going to
stay on that road and end up in Hell regardless.
_
LOL. You're so wrong to say agape is strictly business. Agape is God's immeasurable love: you can try to agape but you'd fail, we all would. Agape is God's perfect love, not a business transaction.

Loyal
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

How about the fact that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. And that was because He loved us so much.

Active
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were
still sinners, Christ died for us."

How about the fact that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. And that was
because He loved us so much.
Your concern was addressed back in post No.821
_

Active
John 3:16-18 starts off with God's love for the world and ends with condemning
some of the world.

The Greek verb translated "loved" in that verse is agapao. Now had the verb in
John 3:16 been phileo instead of agapao, then not one soul would be condemned
because phileo love is affectionate whereas agapao love is merely sympathetic. So
then, in my opinion, phileo love is rather to be had from God than agapao love.
_

Loyal
@Beetow -- you sorta like to be 'argumentative' at times. You tend to mis-interpret Scripture to fit your 'in my opinion' comments.

And, yes, I know that my 'concerns' were addressed back in #821 -- 'JerryfromMass' response was better.

Active
Agape love has become a sort of sacred cow among Christians; and they typically
quote the entire spectrum of agape from 1Cor 13:1-7.

But agape is a noun. In order to discern the colors of agape we have to seek out
instances where love is a verb, i.e. where love is an action rather than an abstract.

The two primary colors of agape are agapao and phileo. A Strong's Concordance
shows every verse in the New Testament where those verbs are used; which is very
handy for helping us to understand the spectrum of love. However; the thing to
note is that those two verbs are not interchangeable.

For example the colors red and blue, combined with other colors, make up the
spectrum of sunlight. But if we want a red house, we have to use red paint. If we
use blue paint, our house won't come out red because red and blue are not
interchangeable.

In like manner, agapao and phileo together make up the spectrum of love, but they
are not interchangeable-- phileo typically speaks of affection, whereas agapao
usually does not; if ever.

"God is love." (1John 4:8 and 1John 4:16)

That love is agape; which is the full spectrum of love, i.e. both agapao and phileo.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever
believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

That love is agapao, which basically speaks of most everything about love except
affection.

"Then Jesus, beholding him, loved him" (Mark 10:21)

That love is phileo, which basically speaks of affection.

NOTE: Apparently that guy was someone that Jesus could really relate to, i.e. they
connected; so to speak. (cf. 1Sam 18:1)

UPDATE: 243 days have elapsed since my first comment. If the figures in post No.5
are in the ball park, then something like 15,096,132 new arrivals have checked into
the fiery sector of Hades since Oct 08, 2020.
_

Loyal
@Beetow -- Way back in your post #5, you were okay Until you started with the statistics.

"We" the People are more than statistics to Jesus Christ. God , the Father, wants to have relationship with each of us. And That is only possible through the shed blood of Jesus Christ on the cross.

And, God, alone knows who Will or who Won't end up in lake of fire and brimstone for ever and ever.

Active
Way back in your post #5, you were okay Until you started with the
statistics.
I make no claim to accuracy. Throughout post No.5 are words like if,
approximately, estimate, suggest.

Plus, my figures omit everyone in America under the age of 19, and all the
abortions.

And; were I to reduce the many's percentage, then the few's percentage
would become the larger; which of course would contradict Luke 13:22-24,
Matt 7:13-14, and Matt 12:14.

It's very likely that I have given the few too big an advantage. I rather
suspect their side of the equation is actually quite a bit less than 49%.
_

Loyal
@Beetow -- you sort of missed my point. Forget the statistics. We are People -- not numbers.

There are real people / past and present who are potentially ending up in lake of fire and brimstone -- but Could Also end up spending their eternity in heaven / New Jerusalem.

Active
I make no claim to accuracy. Throughout post No.5 are words like if,
approximately, estimate, suggest.

Plus, my figures omit everyone in America under the age of 19, and all the
abortions.

And; were I to reduce the many's percentage, then the few's percentage
would become the larger; which of course would contradict Luke 13:22-24,
Matt 7:13-14, and Matt 12:14.

It's very likely that I have given the few too big an advantage. I rather
suspect their side of the equation is actually quite a bit less than 49%.
_
The number of people on the road to destruction is much greater that 49% of all people. Broad is the way and wide the gate, and MANY find it. Narrow is the way to life and strait the gate, and FEW find it. Many vs. Few seems more like 9 out of 10.

Loyal
Why not sound really pessimistic about it.

I'm one of the 'few' who've found it.

What about 'you'. ( whomever is reading this thread )

Active
you sort of missed my point
I prefer to dwell on my points rather than on your points.

That's the advantage of a free forum. I can say what I myself choose to say
rather than having to say what somebody else chooses.

BTW: You know Sue; you really shouldn't be hounding me with nit picking and
carping criticism the way you've been. Persecution is a serious sin.
_

Loyal
@Beetow -- Obviously to you, your points are more important.

You don't like being challenged, that's all.

You feel you're being Persecuted?!

Well -- as you've commented "that's the advantage of a free forum -- I can say what I , myself , choose to say."

I think we've been having some good discussions.

You started out that one post with statistics you'd found -- and then continued on that route , based on building on those stats. Those stats Are available -- but we Also have the way to stay Out of 'perdition' or hell / lake of fire and brimstone.
One would Think that That would be a good area to pursue.

Anyone Can become a son/ daughter of God // a child of God through Jesus Christ our Lord. :)

Active
FAQ: Why is phileo love expected from wives; whereas agapao love is expected
from husbands?

A: Phileo is typically related to one's affections, whereas agapao is typically related
to one's actions.

For example Eph 5:25-33. In that passage, a husband's love for his wife is
expressed by taking her under his wing, viz: by providence, i.e. by protecting and
providing for her.

The love expected from a wife is quite a bit different. Hers is more about feelings
than providence. For example Titus 2:4-5 which is a bounce from Gen 3:16 that
says:

"Your desire shall be for your husband"

That passage appears to me the very first prohibition against adultery. If so; then
phileo's use in Titus 2:4-5 is telling wives to be faithful and chaste, viz: not to share
their affections with other men; which has the benefit of ensuring that all her
children will be the offspring of the man she's married to.

NOTE: The difference in the manner in which men and women express their love for
each other is sometimes stressful for young wives who've never been told about it.
Women are typically mushy whereas men typically are not. It's just a fact of life
that young couples have to get used to.

This is a difficult enough adjustment for normal couples; I have no clue how the
transgenders, the gays and lesbians, and the non binary folk are coping with it.
_

Loyal
@Beetow -- part of marriage are the adjustments that the man and woman make as a married couple -- marriage should be the most important decision in a person's life -- salvation being the Most important decision.

Communication is probably the most important aspect of Any relationship. Being able to talk / share with the other person as well as listening to them.

Biblically -- transgenders don't really exist -- gays and lesbians are not living in a Biblical life-style. Thereby, creating their own set of problems. Marriage is meant to be between one man and one woman. When people Choose to stray away From that, there will be problems. God has the answers To those situations. However, people would rather do their 'own' thing than follow God's guidelines.

Married love can be shown through sex. Sex is not 'making' love , it's 'Showing' their love to each other.

Husbands and wives 'complete' each other. Joined together they form 'oneness'. The one-flesh union. The marriage ceremony joins the man and woman legally -- they promise -- vow to each other -- that until death separates them -- they Will be there for each other in times of sickness / health -- in times of being poor or experiencing wealth -- whatever happens -- they will Always be there for each other. They give each other rings to show others that they are married. They won't be flirting with anyone other than their mate. They share everything with God and then their husband/ wife.

There's a book "The Five Love Languages' -- very good.

Was just looking those three up -- Philos - love is that of being a friend or a brother. Agape = God's love for us -- a self-sacrificial kind of love.

So -- shouldn't a husband and wife be friends 1st -- being able to talk about pretty much everything // enjoying each other's company. Wanting to do 'life' together. Day-by-day living. And That would lead To being engaged and then married. And the 'chemistry' experienced When being together. People can be great friends, but experience no 'chemistry' -- And there can be real 'chemistry' between two people and then deciding what to do With that chemistry. The 'chemistry' is what makes the world go around. The 'chemistry' is what causes ya to want to have all that neat physicalness. Which needs to be with the opposite sex and with marriage.

Actually -- you've left out 'eros' love -- sexual / romantic love. THAT is husband / wife love. THAT is the husband / wife love.

A husband has that inner drive to provide for his wife / family. And the wife to be a home-maker, taking care of her husband and children. It's team-work. A Godly home.

When either a guy or a gal are anticipating marriage -- or even dating. They Should be learning about various aspects Of 'life' as part Of growing up ;How to clean a house / to cook. Taking out the garbage --mowing the lawn. Paying the bills on time. Being faithful to your spouse / friends.

Being committed to that one man and having children by that one man -- emotional security for all. Commitment to That relationship and Those children. Emotional security and learning that conflict Can be worked through. It give the children emotional security.

There was a woman from some years ago in our small town -- she'd been married for many years -- she divorced her husband because she was no longer satisfied with Loving -- she wanted to be 'in love' with him. She finally Did get with a man who she was in-love with and they did get married. About 6 months after she divorced her husband, he was found dead. Everything in the house was exactly as when she'd been living there. But her leaving him had broken his heart -- he'd started drinking and drank himself to death. Quite sad.

In a Reader's Digest article from years ago -- a number of couples who'd been together for 30years were asked what kept them together all those years. They all said that they were best friends. they enjoyed spending time together.

Friendship. Godly friends.

Active
DISCLAIMER:

Post No.836 isn't intended to be appropriated for marriage counseling. It's primarily
a Bible-class clarification of agape love's nuances by means of the two Greek verbs
phileo and agapao.

The notation at the bottom is an op-ed, i.e. my own personal opinion. It should not
be taken as professional guidance as I spent my working life as a dirty, cruddy,
uneducated welder rather than as someone qualified to fix dysfunctional
relationships. I was able to fix broken metals, but not broken people. Caveat Lector.
_

Last edited:
Active
Webster's defines conflate (in so many words) to fuse, i.e. fail to make a
distinction.

For example: God is love. (1John 4:8 and 1John 4:16)

The Greek word translated "love" in that passage is agape. So then, may we
conflate agape with God and construe agape is divine? Well; I don't think so
because agape is required in the legal agreement that Moses' people signed with
with God in the Old Testament.

Rom 13:9-10 . . Love your neighbor as yourself. Love does no harm to its
neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

That passage is a bounce from Lev 19:9-18 which lists a number of antisocial
behaviors, and concludes with the commandment to love your neighbor as yourself.

The first of the loves in Rom 13:9-10 is the Greek verb agapao which is love per one's
actions rather than love per one's feelings.

The second and third loves in that passage is the Greek noun agape, which is an
abstract encompassing the whole spectrum of love; both in actions and feelings.

So then, when people back then complied with Lev 19:9-18, they walked in agape;
and that was by law rather than grace.

My point is: Although agape is a Christian virtue, the Christians don't own it. Agape is
universal. People were feeling and practicing agape in one form or another long
before Christians came along, e.g. Gen 27:4

UPDATE: 245 days have elapsed since my first comment. If the figures in post No.5
are in the ball park, then something like 15,220,380 new arrivals have checked into
the fiery sector of Hades since Oct 08, 2020.
_