• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Looking for a strong walk with my Lord

Interesting enough up till today I have been constantly going. Started feeling sick at the beginning of the week. Now 4 days later I am on bed rest. This may be God's way of saying I need to talk to you through my word. So today I start the book of Matthew.

Interesting enough up till today I have been constantly going. Started feeling sick at the beginning of the week. Now 4 days later I am on bed rest. This may be God's way of saying I need to talk to you through my word. So today I start the book of Matthew.

I think that is a great place to start reading. You can actually find in that book where Jesus preached his great Sermon on the Mount. It actually tells us how to live our lives the way God wants us too, because thats why Jesus came, was to teach us. I just ask you to read it like God himself is speaking to you through his son, because that's what he is doing. Jesus is the Word of God made in the flesh. One thing that helped me is, I imagine myself in a classroom and Jesus is the teacher, and he is giving me direct orders for me to be a Christian.

Peace, love and happiness

It seems quite appropriate to start out rereading the story of the birth of our Lord and Savior. As I go forth in my reading I will take your suggestion and visualize myself sitting at the feet of Jesus as he speaks to the people. Sometimes the wording seems a bit confusing but I will allow the Holy Spirit to give me discernment.

It seems quite appropriate to start out rereading the story of the birth of our Lord and Savior. As I go forth in my reading I will take your suggestion and visualize myself sitting at the feet of Jesus as he speaks to the people. Sometimes the wording seems a bit confusing but I will allow the Holy Spirit to give me discernment.

That sounds great, I will be glad to help with any questions you have. I am a missionary and I base my life on what you are about to read in the four gospels. Happy reading.

Peace and love

Good morning. I have been reading the gospel of Matthew and found that it has been speaking to my spirit. However Matthew 11:1-20 I am having a bit of trouble understanding. It starts out speaking of John the Baptist during his imprisonment but from there I am a bit confused as to who is speaking and the subject of the conversation. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, heres the break down. 1st John sends his disciples to ask Jesus if he is really the messiah? (Reason being is the Jews were looking for a Super Hero to come in and take back their nation, instead of Jesus a innocent Lamb). Jesus said, "tell John all the amazing things Im doing, healing the sick, raising the dead etc. (So that should be proof to John that Jesus is the Messiah.) He also mentions to them to tell John that blessed are the ones who are not offended by him. (Meaning don't be offended by him being a lamb and the things he is teaching) The Jesus is talking to the crowds telling them how wrong they are. When they went out to see John when he was baptizing people, they went to see a profit. It didn't matter what he looked like they we're looking for truth. (So he saying why does it matter that I am a lamb as long as i am bringing you truth to set you free through my teachings.) Then he goes on to say that John the baptist is the greatest profit ever, (but since he is not so sure that Jesus is the Messiah of believing the things that Jesus is teachs his followers to do, then the least in the Kingdom will be greater than him. Because the least in the Kingdom will be there because the listened and believed Jesus,) Believe means obeying the things Jesus told us to do. Remember that while you continue to read. Then Jesus goes on to tell the parable about the kids the market place. He means our generation is like a bunch of spoiled kids saying we did all this for you but you didn't do anything for us. Now Jesus says that people see only what they want to see. He says, "John didn't eat or drink and they called him a demon". (meaning they didn't like what he was saying so they had to come up with a excuse not to listen) Then Jesus said, "i came eating and drinking and they call me a glutton, and drunkard and friend of tax collectors." ( Jesus saying that not matter what he did in amazing works and amazing teachings that would save them all, the people were just looking for ways and things they could say to make him look bad) Remember the reason they said this about Jesus is because of his teachings and what he commanded his followers to do, they said he was evil because they didn't want to do them.

I hope this finds you well.

I truly appreciate you for clarifying this part of the chapter. I am amazed at how clearly you interpret the scriptures. I pray that as I continue in my studies that I will develop a better discernment of the scriptures. Thank you once again for taking the time to break things down.

I truly appreciate you for clarifying this part of the chapter. I am amazed at how clearly you interpret the scriptures. I pray that as I continue in my studies that I will develop a better discernment of the scriptures. Thank you once again for taking the time to break things down.
You are very welcome. Jesus says we need to become as little children to see the Kingdom of Heaven. That's what we need to do while reading, read like you're a child, wanting to know the truth. Also, pray that God will open your eyes and let you see the truth that is there.
I hope this finds you well.

Good morning. I pray your Christmas was filled with lots of love, joy, and laughter. I have been reading the books of Matthew with open eyes and heart and pretty much with new clarity. However I am a bit stuck and a little confused with book 22. I noticed that Jesus often talks with His disciples with parables whose meanings usually become clear to me before the end of the chapter but the parable of the beginning of the chapter is a bit confusing to me, with the comparing of the marriage feast to the kingdom of heaven. I understand all or many are invited but few may make it in, but the reference to the man not wearing the wedding garment and kings response has me a little confused. Why such harsh treatment of this particular goes? What translation are you using? I am reading from the NIV.

Good morning. I pray your Christmas was filled with lots of love, joy, and laughter. I have been reading the books of Matthew with open eyes and heart and pretty much with new clarity. However I am a bit stuck and a little confused with book 22. I noticed that Jesus often talks with His disciples with parables whose meanings usually become clear to me before the end of the chapter but the parable of the beginning of the chapter is a bit confusing to me, with the comparing of the marriage feast to the kingdom of heaven. I understand all or many are invited but few may make it in, but the reference to the man not wearing the wedding garment and kings response has me a little confused. Why such harsh treatment of this particular goes? What translation are you using? I am reading from the NIV.

Hey, I hope you are doing well. The man without the wedding garment is someone who tried to get into the wedding feast on their own terms. All the other guests have their nice wedding garments, because they were following the teachings of Jesus. As for the other guy, his clothing maybe dirty or however you want to picture them. He has not tried to live the way a true Christian is suppose to live. Jesus says, "why do you call me Lord Lord and not do the things I say"? (Luke 6:46) Jesus gave his followers many commands, for us to base our lives on. As far as what bible I use, I have looked at just about all of them. I will tell you the newer versions try to water down the message of Jesus. I have a document that has 120 commands of Jesus, but if will not allow me to upload it here. If you will send your email I will get it to you. But, if you feel uncomfortable about doing that, I understand that as well.

So I see because this particular person was not obedient in following instructions he was banned. But I was also curious about the fact that others had been invited previously and refused to attend. Was this because they too refused to follow the directive for this wedding? The message thereby being that all are invited by the Lord to be a part of the family of God but many refuse because they are unwilling to follow God's commands. I am very interested in reading these additional commands. I feel no threat or concern with providing you my email because I truly believe that your intentions are sincere in guiding me as attempt to have a closer walk with God. Thank you once again for taking the time to clarify scriptures for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I see because this particular person was not obedient in following instructions he was banned. But I was also curious about the fact that others had been invited previously and refused to attend. Was this because they too refused to follow the directive for this wedding? The message thereby being that all are invited by the Lord to be a part of the family of God but many refuse because they are unwilling to follow God's commands. I am very interested in reading these additional commands. I feel no threat or concern with providing you my email because I truly believe that your intentions are sincere in guiding me as attempt to have a closer walk with God. My email is [email protected]. Thank you once again for taking the time to clarify scriptures for me.
Yes everyone is invited to the the wedding feast, but everyone is just to busy for God. They all make excuses why they cannot come to the wedding feast. They all think that God is suppose to wait on them, he has been waiting for us since He spoke the world into existence all those years ago.

I agree
Hey, I hope this message finds you well. I would like to encourage you to read the four gospels, (Mathew, Mark, Luke and John) that is where you can actually find the teachings of Jesus. Read them for yourself and let Jesus' teachings speak to you, don't listen to anyone but our Lord and Savior through his teachings and what he asked his followers (Christians) to do,

Yeah , how true.. What Jesus teaches seems to be a very touchy subject even amongst the churches

I agree

Yeah , how true.. What Jesus teaches seems to be a very touchy subject even amongst the churches
Yeah churches hate what Jesus taught. How can someone say they are a Christian (thats a follower of Jesus) and hate what he taught. I cannot figure it out, if they don't like what Jesus taught, then they need to say they are not a Christian. I am with you man it is a very touchy subject, when it should be a very exciting subject.

Active
I'd like to maybe come from a slightly different angle regarding the wedding garment. When I read your post, I thought of this verse:

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. John 10:1

It seems to me that this verse is talking about the same subject - entering in but not belonging. If you read the verses preceding this one (end of John 9) you will see that in this case Jesus was talking to the Pharisees, after healing a blind man. Jesus had made the comment "For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind. (verse 39). The Pharisees nearby jumped on this question and asked Jesus if they were blind, whereupon Jesus said "If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth. (vs. 41)". This is followed by John 10:1, "climbing up some other way."

The point I'm getting to is that the Pharisees felt very self-satisfied and righteous. They were confident that their good works would get them into the kingdom of God, but Jesus was telling them that He was the only door. In my opinion the man not wearing a wedding garment was also an imposter who was hoping that his own "creation" or careful dress without the garment of Christ would be accepted.

Isaiah 64: 6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Without the garment that Christ provides, we have no hope and will be rejected, no matter how "righteous" our deeds.

I appreciate your interpretation of the scriptures, varying views provide me with an opportunity to discern what the Lord is saying through His word to me. I truly believe that the bottom line is that if we aren't true followers of the Lord's commands you will miss your blessings. It's a matter of listening and being open to allowing God to speak to our spirits through the examples He provides.

Active
I appreciate your interpretation of the scriptures, varying views provide me with an opportunity to discern what the Lord is saying through His word to me. I truly believe that the bottom line is that if we aren't true followers of the Lord's commands you will miss your blessings. It's a matter of listening and being open to allowing God to speak to our spirits through the examples He provides.

I agree!

By my interpretation of that passage, I don't want to take away at all from the fact that we need to be true followers of Christ and be obedient, showing our true faith by our works. But we cannot earn our salvation or think that somehow if we do enough "righteous things" we obtain a clean garment. I do agree with you @Jakesoulsatstake and @spreadingtheGospel that truly following Christ isn't very popular and there are many who are satisfied in thinking that a mental assent to the truth is enough ('free salvation'), without allowing the life-changing power of the Gospel to reach into every corner of their lives.

Active
Sounds nice , but will you do what he commands? To cut to the point
Looks like you posted at the same time as I did so not sure which post you were referencing. :smile: I would answer your question by saying
"Yes", but I believe His commands go far beyond a list of rules. The commands Jesus gives in the New Testament all come under the greatest commandment (love God), and the one following it (love people). There is a danger of missing the point if we feel that we are ok if we simply follow a list of rules He gave us. We must not stop there. Loving God and loving people will not be the "easy way" and in some cases we may need to make drastic life changes and endure financial hardship for Christ. Some Christians today in other countries are giving their very lives in martyrdom for Him (which is far greater than simply "not working for money" or being careful not to use a title when addressing a man.)

Mark 12:28 And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” 29Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Romans 13:9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Gal. 5:13 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another.

Last edited:
Looks like you posted at the same time as I did so not sure which post you were referencing. :smile: I would answer your question by saying
"Yes", but I believe His commands go far beyond a list of rules. The commands Jesus gives in the New Testament all come under the greatest commandment (love God), and the one following it (love people). There is a danger of missing the point if we feel that we are ok if we simply follow a list of rules He gave us. We must not stop there. Loving God and loving people will not be the "easy way" and in some cases we may need to make drastic life changes and endure financial hardship for Christ. Some Christians today in other countries are giving their very lives in martyrdom for Him (which is far greater than simply "not working for money" or being careful not to use a title when addressing a man.)

Mark 12:28 And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” 29Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Romans 13:9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Gal. 5:13 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another.
The Mark 12:28 verse is a great verse. It even further tells us that we need to do the things that Jesus commanded. How do we love God with all our mind an soul, if we are not doing what his Word (Jesus) commanded us to do, Obeying is what we are suppose to do. Those other people giving their lives for the Jesus, is the greatest love they can show (John 15:13). So if they can give their lives we can too. By laying down our wants and desires, to actually follow the things Jesus commanded us to do. He says "whosoever" that's a strong word, it pretty much tells us he is talking to all of us. We all fall under the heading WHOSOEVER. "Whosoever of you, who does not forsake everything he hath, he cannot be my disciple" (Luke 14:33) Remember Christians and disciples are the same thing. (Acts 11:26) Hope this finds you well.