• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Is speaking in tongues necessary to be saved?

Staff Member
Tongues and prophecies ceased a long time ago. They were gifts given during the laying of the foundation, the foundation was finished being laid a long time ago.
1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
Dear God's Truth,
Is this the only Scripture verse that you have to support that tongues have ceased?
I ask this, because though I have not spoken in tongues, I have been present when it has been.
When done in order, as Paul has stated it should be beneficial. The following verses hold much truth to comportment when tongues is being done within a congregation.

Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in [those who are] uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 1 Corinthians 14:23 NKJV
If anyone speaks in a tongue, [let there be] two or at the most three, [each] in turn, and let one interpret. 1 Corinthians 14:27 NKJV
But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God. 1 Corinthians 14:28 NKJV
Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. 1 Corinthians 14:39 NKJV
Let all things be done decently and in order. 1 Corinthians 14:40 NKJV

Many times when tongues is being shown on a video as an example. It comes off as being roughly organized, and very chaotic, along with no translation in order to benefit all hearers. However, this should be no reason to state that tongues is no longer active, though as you have shown it will one day no longer be an active part for the Body of Christ/Church. If you think about it, this makes sense. Why? Because we'll be with the Lord, and why would we have need of tongues, prophecy, etc.,? Glorious times await us if we keep the faith, and overcome what we'll face before we're called to be Home!!!

Anyway, if you have additional Scripture to share it would be appreciated. And the following reasoning unless you can flesh it out some, really doesn't make any sense to me when you take the entirety of Scripture into consideration.

Of course, because the scriptures were still being written.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Loyal
where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
And when did knowledge pass away??
Daniel 12:4 But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.

Active
Dear God's Truth,
Is this the only Scripture verse that you have to support that tongues have ceased?

I gave many scriptures and careful explanations in this thread and in the other thread about speaking in tongues.

I ask this, because though I have not spoken in tongues, I have been present when it has been.
When done in order, as Paul has stated it should be beneficial. The following verses hold much truth to comportment when tongues is being done within a congregation.

Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in [those who are] uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 1 Corinthians 14:23 NKJV
If anyone speaks in a tongue, [let there be] two or at the most three, [each] in turn, and let one interpret. 1 Corinthians 14:27 NKJV
But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God. 1 Corinthians 14:28 NKJV
Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. 1 Corinthians 14:39 NKJV

Many times when tongues is being shown on a video as an example. It comes off as being roughly organized, and very chaotic, along with no translation in order to benefit all hearers. However, this should be no reason to state that tongues is no longer active, though as you have shown it will one day no longer be an active part for the Body of Christ/Church. If you think about it, this makes sense. Why? Because we'll be with the Lord, and why would we have need of tongues, prophecy, etc.,? Glorious times await us if we keep the faith, and overcome what we'll face before we're called to be Home!!!

Anyway, if you have additional Scripture to share it would be appreciated. And the following reasoning unless you can flesh it out some, really doesn't make any sense to me when you take the entirety of Scripture into consideration.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><
Hi Nick, I have already given so much information, and have more to give. Maybe you can go through the posts in this thread and the other one about tongues and see if there is anything you would like to ask me after that?

Active
And when did knowledge pass away??
Daniel 12:4 But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.
There will be no new knowledge is what that means.

Staff Member
I gave many scriptures and careful explanations in this thread and in the other thread about speaking in tongues.

Hi Nick, I have already given so much information, and have more to give. Maybe you can go through the posts in this thread and the other one about tongues and see if there is anything you would like to ask me after that?
Dear God's Truth,
Maybe you have done so in some other thread, but I have referenced the only verse you have used on this thread.
Surely, for my sake as one who seeks to understand your position, I would hope it wouldn't be too much an imposition to add the verses here, that this old man might gain greater understanding.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Loyal
There will be no new knowledge is what that means.
You are making this up - you are adding your interpretation to scripture.
Scripture does not use the word "new"
God clearly teaches us through the prophet Daniel that in the last days knowledge will increase.
As per usual you are defying scripture.

Active
Dear God's Truth,
Maybe you have done so in some other thread, but I have referenced the only verse you have used on this thread.
Surely, for my sake as one who seeks to understand your position, I would hope it wouldn't be too much an imposition to add the verses here, that this old man might gain greater understanding.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><
These scriptures you posted are for rules when tongues were still a gift given. Tongues has ceased.

Active
You are making this up - you are adding your interpretation to scripture.
Scripture does not use the word "new"
God clearly teaches us through the prophet Daniel that in the last days knowledge will increase.
As per usual you are defying scripture.
It is about new prophecies and new knowledge. A person must be able to be reasoned with.

Staff Member
These scriptures you posted are for rules when tongues were still a gift given. Tongues has ceased.

Dear God's Truth,
Appreciate seeing the same verses I quoted to you, but I still await your verses which support your position. If tongues were to cease after certain conditions were met, then surely the Word of God would have stated so. That being said, I can only treat your comments as a supposition that tongues have ceased. Unless you have more to add, I see your words as a form of eisegesis that gets many into trouble.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Active
Dear God's Truth,
Appreciate seeing the same verses I quoted to you, but I still await your verses which support your position. If tongues were to cease after certain conditions were met, then surely the Word of God would have stated so. That being said, I can only treat your comments as a supposition that tongues have ceased. Unless you have more to add, I see your words as a form of eisegesis that gets many into trouble.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><
You wanted to discuss those scriptures...those scriptures were rules for tongues speaking---while tongues still existed. If you want to speak about something else concerning tongues, just let me know.

Staff Member
You wanted to discuss those scriptures...those scriptures were rules for tongues speaking---while tongues still existed. If you want to speak about something else concerning tongues, just let me know.
Dear God's Truth,
You and not Scripture have stated that those verses are no longer valid. So, unless you have more supporting Scriptures to put out there for consideration, you are correct there is no more to talk about. And if you should find additional Scripture, possible in some of you other postings, please feel free to share them. I will endeavor to review them and reply back.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Active
Dear God's Truth,
You and not Scripture have stated that those verses are no longer valid. So, unless you have more supporting Scriptures to put out there for consideration, you are correct there is no more to talk about. And if you should find additional Scripture, possible in some of you other postings, please feel free to share them. I will endeavor to review them and reply back.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><
You wanted to speak about those scriptures, those scriptures are rules for tongues. What more would you like to discuss about them?

Staff Member
You wanted to speak about those scriptures, those scriptures are rules for tongues. What more would you like to discuss about them?
Dear God's Truth,
Not at all. For we'd agree that they are valid for guidance to churches when tongues are used.
Where we differ, is when this gift of tongues will cease. You believe they already have, and I believe that they will cease when non-believers are no longer open to seeing them as a sign.

With that being said, I do believe we find ourselves at an impasse and further discussion a fruitless endeavor. Unless you have additional scripture that you haven't yet shared on this post to impart. If not, may I suggest that we call it a day, and as the Spirit moves us, go on to other discussions.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Active
Dear God's Truth,
Not at all. For we'd agree that they are valid for guidance to churches when tongues are used.
Where we differ, is when this gift of tongues will cease. You believe they already have, and I believe that they will cease when non-believers are no longer open to seeing them as a sign.

With that being said, I do believe we find ourselves at an impasse and further discussion a fruitless endeavor. Unless you have additional scripture that you haven't yet shared on this post to impart. If not, may I suggest that we call it a day, and as the Spirit moves us, go on to other discussions.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><
The scriptures you gave are for rules for tongues. It looks like you don't have any other scriptures you want to talk about.

Here is more information about tongues

Tongues are for unbelievers, and no unbelievers are hearing nowadays tongue speakers speaking the gospel in their languages.
the word for languages is the word “tongues,” see Acts 2:11.

In Acts 2:5 we see that there were JEWS from EVERY NATION. The Jews are the people God said that He would speak to through men of strange tongues…

Acts 2:5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.

In Acts 2:6 we see that the Jews from every nation spoke in many different languages…

Acts 2:6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.

Just look at the list of places the Jews had come from…

Acts 2:8-Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? 9Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs-we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!”

The miracle at Pentecost was when the Christians, who were Jews, spoke in tongues, and the Jews who gathered for Pentecost came from many other places and spoke in many other languages. they could understand what the Christian Jews were saying about God in their own language.

Staff Member
The scriptures you gave are for rules for tongues. It looks like you don't have any other scriptures you want to talk about.

Here is more information about tongues

Tongues are for unbelievers, and no unbelievers are hearing nowadays tongue speakers speaking the gospel in their languages.
the word for languages is the word “tongues,” see Acts 2:11.

In Acts 2:5 we see that there were JEWS from EVERY NATION. The Jews are the people God said that He would speak to through men of strange tongues…

Acts 2:5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.

In Acts 2:6 we see that the Jews from every nation spoke in many different languages…

Acts 2:6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.

Just look at the list of places the Jews had come from…

Acts 2:8-Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? 9Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs-we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!”

The miracle at Pentecost was when the Christians, who were Jews, spoke in tongues, and the Jews who gathered for Pentecost came from many other places and spoke in many other languages. they could understand what the Christian Jews were saying about God in their own language.
Dear God's Truth,
Apparently you didn't read what I last posted. lol
You take care of yourself, and have a blessed day.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Active
Dear God's Truth,
Apparently you didn't read what I last posted. lol
You take care of yourself, and have a blessed day.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><
I read what you said. I gave you more scriptures for you, like you asked for.

Speaking in tongues is for unbelievers of another language, a foreign language, they hear a tongue speaker and it causes them to believe in God because they hear a person speak in their language.

Tongues ceased a long time ago, and what nowadays tongue speakers are doing, is not speaking in foreign languages that they were never taught to speak. No one from other languages are coming to belief in Jesus because they hear the gospel spoken in their foreign language.

Active
The apostles received all the truth we need to guide us to eternal life, and they wrote this down in the Scriptures: John 16:13; 2 Peter 1:3; Acts 20:20, 27; Matthew 28:20; I Corinthians 14:37; 2 Timothy 3:16, 17; Romans 16:25-27.

We do not need anyone’s tongue speaking and prophecies to know more things about God’s Truth as once was needed, we have the Bible, and it is finished.

How does anyone think speaking in tongues and prophecies in their church help all to be perfect? None of anyone’s babbling is making anything perfect. Nothing your so-called prophets in your church are saying anything that can help make anyone perfect. The only way people can help make others perfect, is when they speak what is already given to us, and that is the New Testament writings, Jesus’ written words. When we have faith in Jesus’ blood and obey Jesus’ teachings, it is when and how we are made perfect.

Staff Member
I read what you said. I gave you more scriptures for you, like you asked for.

Speaking in tongues is for unbelievers of another language, a foreign language, they hear a tongue speaker and it causes them to believe in God because they hear a person speak in their language.

Tongues ceased a long time ago, and what nowadays tongue speakers are doing, is not speaking in foreign languages that they were never taught to speak. No one from other languages are coming to belief in Jesus because they hear the gospel spoken in their foreign language.
Dear God's Truth,
Clearly you misunderstood what I had posted. I asked for Scripture supporting your position that tongues has ceased.
Unless you can do so, it's really irrelevant that other conditions apply to its practice because you don't have an iron in that fire. Oh, for future usage, you might just want to rethink your reasoning concerning the last sentence you wrote above. This is the very reason why Paul stated that there should be one available to interpret what was being said by the person speaking in tongues.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><