• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Is speaking in tongues necessary to be saved?

Active
Trying to teach someone that a prayer language is one of the 9 Spiritual Gifts, is a really bad idea.
Never do this to them.

Yes God knows what we need before we ask. He gives us his desire in a language easy to understand. No outward sign gifts. Spiritual gift unseen yes.

The mysteries are found in parables without parable Christ the anointing teaching good master as Lord spoke not

Loyal
What is speaking in tounges?
Speaking in tongues is the Bible evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit - the sign that a believer has actually received the Spirit of God within them.
Speaking in tongues is a wonderful and powerful prayer language for communicating directly with God spirit-to-spirit.
Praying in the Holy Spirit (praying in tongues) is the hallmark of Pentecostal discipleship.

Mark 16:15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues;
18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Acts 19:5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying.

Acts 10:45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles.
46 For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared,
47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?”

Loyal
What is speaking in tongues?
Unfortunately non-Pentecostals will post all manner of nonsense about this.
Rather learn from scripture itself and believe the word of God.

1Corinthians 14:2 For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.

Active
Unfortunately non-Pentecostals will post all manner of nonsense about this.
Rather learn from scripture itself and believe the word of God.

1Corinthians 14:2 For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.
Nope it's all written seek and ye will find

Loyal
Nope it's all written seek and ye will find
Luke 11:9 And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
10 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.
13 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

I sought, and I knocked, and I asked, and I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and spoke forth in new tongue just as Jesus promised true worshippers would.

Active
Speaking in tongues is the Bible evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit - the sign that a believer has actually received the Spirit of God within them.
Speaking in tongues is a wonderful and powerful prayer language for communicating directly with God spirit-to-spirit.
Praying in the Holy Spirit (praying in tongues) is the hallmark of Pentecostal discipleship.

Mark 16:15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues;
18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

6 And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying.

Acts 10:45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles.
46 For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared,
47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?”
Luke 11:9 And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
10 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.
13 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

I sought, and I knocked, and I asked, and I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and spoke forth in new tongue just as Jesus promised true worshippers would.
Yes so True YH pours His Spirit without limits but one must ask Him
So many r seeking answers from man n so many are willing to spoon feed them answers n not point them unto YH and it is written that one can not climb through a window they must go unto the Door

Loyal
Yes so True YH pours His Spirit without limits but one must ask Him
So many r seeking answers from man n so many are willing to spoon feed them answers n not point them unto YH and it is written that one can not climb through a window they must go unto the Door
Seems you have problems with the Word of God and what scripture truly teaches.
That is why Jesus teaches us of true worshippers who shall worship God the Father in spirit and in truth.
And the Holy Spirit is also the Spirit of truth.

Active
Seems you have problems with the Word of God and what scripture truly teaches.
That is why Jesus teaches us of true worshippers who shall worship God the Father in spirit and in truth.
And the Holy Spirit is also the Spirit of truth.
No sir I Hear YH very well many got that pride of the pharisee or teacher which ever on may wish to call it
I believe fully in the Word not partially many get offended of it idk why
Here is another's fav of mine
For he will not trust in horse and rider and bow, nor will he multiply his gold and silver for war. Nor will he narrow for many nations the hopes to a day of war.

17:34 The Lord himself is his king, the hope of the strong. [Through] the hope in God he will even show mercy to all the nations [who stand] before him in fear.

17:35 For he will smite the earth with the word of his mouth forever; he will bless the Lord's people with wisdom and joy.

17:36 And he himself [will be] free from sin, in order to rule a great people, to put to shame officials and to win sinners by the strength of the word.

17:37 And he will not weaken in his days, thanks to his God, for God made him powerful in the holy spirit and wise in the counsel of understanding, with strength and righteousness.

17:38 And the blessing of the Lord [will be] with him in strength, and he will not weaken;

17:39 His hope [is] in the Lord, who, then, is strong enough against

Have a good one

Loyal
I believe fully in the Word not partially many get offended of it idk why
Then be a doer of the Word
Jude 1:17 But YE beloved, remember the words spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
18 that they said to you, In the last time mockers shall be, walking after their own ungodly lusts.
19 These are they who make separations, having only soul, not having Spirit.
20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
21 keep yourselves in God’s love, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
22 And on some have mercy, who are in doubt; and ...

Active
Then be a doer of the Word
Jude 1:17 But YE beloved, remember the words spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
18 that they said to you, In the last time mockers shall be, walking after their own ungodly lusts.
19 These are they who make separations, having only soul, not having Spirit.
20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
21 keep yourselves in God’s love, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
22 And on some have mercy, who are in doubt; and ...
Yes Sir faith without works is dead

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Active

God does not speak non-sense or baby talk . Believers are filled by the Holy Spirit they receive the end of their new born again faith the salvation of their new soul from the beginning. Its not a work that needs re- filling . Like running out of gas or power.

For they were hearing them prophesying and extolling God not making (senseless sounds) .

Waggles, Peter did not hear baby noises rather than the tongue of God . . prophecy

Waggles, wondering, wondering, wondering is not believing.

Tongues is the prophecy of God . Not senseless baby noises . He warned the unbelievers in Isaiah 28. Yet they still refused to hear words as prophecy of God. So again in law (Isaiah 28).of those who mock God making him a senseless God is revisited in 1 Corinthians 14: 21-22

1 Corinthians 14: 21-22 21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues(prophecy) and other lips (all the nations) will I speak (not mumble) unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. (not saith . . baby talk sounds without meaning)
Wherefore tongues (prophecy) are for a sign, not to them that believe, (hear prophecy) but to them that believe not: (no faith )but prophesying (the tongue of God) serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. (hear prophecy)

Spiritual gift (cant see a spirit follow after the baptism of the holy Spirt .The Holy Spirt is not water that evaporates. We do not seek to make baby sounds without meaning as evidence that we have the Holy Spirit we walk by faith the unseen gift.

If those who tried to make the parable the signified understanding into a literal interpretation was true then they would be the true martyrs .Beleivers that undewrstand prophecy the tongue of God speak the new tongue the gospel it can drive out demons and prevent the believers from being effected or harmed by false doctrine . The poison of serpents

Mark 16: 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;(the gospel) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands (gospel) on the sick, and they shall recover.

Loyal
Waggles, Peter did not hear baby noises rather than the tongue of God . . prophecy
It never ceases to amaze me how non-Pentecostals claim to be authorities on Pentecostal faith and worship.
1Cor 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

Active
It never ceases to amaze me how non-Pentecostals claim to be authorities on Pentecostal faith and worship.
1Cor 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

God's word has the authority not baby noises without meaning. Look to the foundation of the law (Isaiah 28)

My paraphrase or understanding below

1Cor 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of messengers of God (apostles) , but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. (no sense)

Staff Member
Dear @Garee, and @Waggles
It seems to me that there is some agreement with you both even in a disagreement.

I believe Brother Garee is talking about certain instances in where it is supposed to be the manifestation of the Holy Spirit through Him in which people will use "baby talk", and I can add also "animal noises/sounds". This creates a confusion and not what Scripture is talking about, because at times it is done in the congregation with no translation being provided. Making it chaotic for anyone not familiar with speaking in tongues. Paul addresses this, but I have found in some of what some would call the more bizarre examples mentioned previously, they do not follow his guidance. So, it only confuses and would only be an impediment to communicating the Gospel to any visitors which I believe is what Paul mentions as well. Not good, but apparently some churches don't mind the confusion, and do it anyway!

It is better to go by the examples that Paul sets in 1 Corinthian 14 when involved with the using of tongues, then to allow for the confusion to reign with any visitors. Everything in its time & place. For ultimately, it's not the speaking of tongues that is important here, but that those who do not know the Lord Jesus Christ as their Savior are brought to Him and receive Him.

An interesting side note is the Speaking of Tongues seems to present itself mostly in Pentecostal Churches, but it is not limited to this assembling. It has been known that even Catholics, though mostly in South America, have been known to speak in tongues, and yet is not something that the Catholic Church promotes, but they also don't condemn it.

Also, keep in mind that the enemy will co-op what is of God, and pervert it. So, don't be surprised that speaking in tongues may very well be distorted for other than Godly purposes.

Anyway, let's keep the conversation uplifting, and one that promotes growth in God's Word!

Oh, and the answer to the thread's title question posed by Brother @Rookster. I would have to say is "No". :)

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Active
I believe Brother Garee is talking about certain instances in where it is supposed to be the manifestation of the Holy Spirit through Him in which people will use "baby talk", and I can add also "animal noises/sounds". This creates a confusion and not what Scripture is talking about, because at times it is done in the congregation with no translation being provided. Making it chaotic for anyone not familiar with speaking in tongues. Paul addresses this, but I have found in some of what some would call the more bizarre examples mentioned previously, they do not follow his guidance. So, it only confuses and would only be an impediment to communicating the Gospel to any visitors which I believe is what Paul mentions as well. Not good, but apparently some churches don't mind the confusion, and do it anyway!

Hi thanks for the reply

Catholicism, a hierarchy of men that lord it over the faith or understanding of the non venerable like the Jews below is one of the leaders of seeking after signs to wonder after doctrines, making the spiritual understanding without effect.

Jesus identifies those who seek after wonders below John 4:48 and as a testimony to that law . .it is found in John 6:30

John 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

John 6:30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

Making Jesus into a circus seal

Wondering marveling is not believing.

I would think they are the ones that influenced and added the word "unknown" to the word tongues which again is prophecy God's understanding. If it is unknown its unknown to the one hearing it not brass sounding, or a cymbal tinkling; it never become the understanding of someone else .

The idea that God makes noises without understating filling us with confusion sense sounds simply makes no biblical sense . I say no such thing as sign gifts to seek after . Spiritual gifts, believing God yes. they follow after prophecy . Let there be and it was good .The law of faith Christ working in us

Remember God is no longer bringing any new prophecy .The last chapter is Revelation sealed with 7 seals till the end of time .

Tongues are prophecy, the interpretation of God. Peter spoke Hebrew every man heard the interpretation that God had intended. The idea of seeking someone else other than God's interpretation violates the warning of those who say we need man to teach us. identifying them as antichrists. (1 John 2:26-27)

1 John 2: 26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. But the anointing (understanding) which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

How could one abide in brass sounding, or a cymbal tinkling; (non sense)

Loyal
How can speaking in an unknown tongue be prophesying when no man understands him?

1Co 14:2 For one who speaks in an [unknown] tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands or catches his meaning, because in the [Holy] Spirit he utters secret truths and hidden things [not obvious to the understanding].(AMP)

Staff Member
Hi thanks for the reply

Catholicism, a hierarchy of men that lord it over the faith or understanding of the non venerable like the Jews below is one of the leaders of seeking after signs to wonder after doctrines, making the spiritual understanding without effect.

Jesus identifies those who seek after wonders below John 4:48 and as a testimony to that law . .it is found in John 6:30

John 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

John 6:30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

Making Jesus into a circus seal

Wondering marveling is not believing.

I would think they are the ones that influenced and added the word "unknown" to the word tongues which again is prophecy God's understanding. If it is unknown its unknown to the one hearing it not brass sounding, or a cymbal tinkling; it never become the understanding of someone else .

The idea that God makes noises without understating filling us with confusion sense sounds simply makes no biblical sense . I say no such thing as sign gifts to seek after . Spiritual gifts, believing God yes. they follow after prophecy . Let there be and it was good .The law of faith Christ working in us

Remember God is no longer bringing any new prophecy .The last chapter is Revelation sealed with 7 seals till the end of time .

Tongues are prophecy, the interpretation of God. Peter spoke Hebrew every man heard the interpretation that God had intended. The idea of seeking someone else other than God's interpretation violates the warning of those who say we need man to teach us. identifying them as antichrists. (1 John 2:26-27)

1 John 2: 26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. But the anointing (understanding) which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

How could one abide in brass sounding, or a cymbal tinkling; (non sense)
Dear Brother Garee,
So, I was wrong in assuming that it's not just certain examples of speaking in tongues you disagree with, but all Speaking in Tongues?
From your words above it appears that Prophecy for you also falls within the same category as tongues as well?

If so, we have nothing to talk about. We are opposite sides of what Scripture is communicating to each of us. For you'll not agree with any Scripture I put forth and I won't agree with your interpretation. So, with that being said. We'll agree to disagree.

Take care of yourself, because as I have said in respect to the question that the title of the thread asked. It does not affect ones Salvation in Christ Jesus.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><