• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Is Harry Potter Evil?

Loyal
@Brother Paul

I disagree with you comment about fiction. An Adult has experienced more of life than kids have. 'We' understand the difference between fact and fiction. Kids - not especially. As has been pointed out -- there isn't anything inherantly okay with witchcraft / sorcery , etc. God's Word is Very specific about it. We -- as Adults are to be guiding our children to Good, Safe outlets For our imaginations. Get our kids a box of building blocks -- let them discover good ways building things.

Sometimes kids grow up in less than the best set of circumstances. Lots of kids do. So they need Positive guidelines presented to them. Encourage kids to draw pictures to express what's going on inside of them. Learn to play a musical instrument. Get them into outdoor activities. Playing catch -- running, etc.

The entertainment presented in Harry Potter leaves a great deal to be desired. For the sake of the kids -- stay Away from it.

And, your last comments -- yes, Be the best follower of Christ that you can be. Kids Do follow the leading of adults. And, yes , Do pray for our kids -- and absolutely read God's Word in your home. All these things are in direct contradiction to what's in Harry Potter stories.

Witch craft is very Real -- spells Are cast on people. Years ago when my older daughter was in high school, she was getting to know a guy down the street. His Mom and aunt were into all of that. One Halloween they wanted their son to go to a real Halloween party -- complete with all the real trimmings. He didn't want to -- so at the party they decided to have some fun with him. He called our daughter totally freaked out. All of a sudden chairs were moving, cupboard doors were opening and shutting on their own. 'they' were 'having fun' with their witch craft abilities. Well -- witches / warlocks are satan followers. They have covens like we have churches. satan is the Enemy of God.

So to sluff off Harry Potter as harmless fiction is pure craziness.

Loyal
What I was getting toward with changing wizard to magician was that in the 5th narnia book voyage of the dawn treader. There is a spot where they meet a good magician. And no one would doubt that Narnia is a series that cannot possibly be evil. In fact they mention gods in narnia. But how is it that magic is good in narnia and evil in Harry Potter? I think the difference is that people actually gave narnia a chance.

But didn't want to get into that, hit post by mistake and had to gwt into it anyways.

One more comment -- "in fact they mention gods in Narnia" -- the Old Testament Also mentions 'gods' -- the people were worshipping all sorts of 'gods' except for the One and only True God. God tells the people -- if you're going to take time To worship a 'god' -- worship the only one Real God who created the world and everything in it. Namely Him, God, Himself. The One True God who has provided salvation for us. John 3:16. The Only God who want to have real relationship with Him through Jesus Christ.

Regarding the choking/ fainting 'game' -- and , no, it Isn't really a game at all. But it's found on-line. Parents are Supposed to be taking care of their kids -- monitoring what they watch and do. that's what Good parenting Is. Supposed to Be. Teaching them right from wrong from God's Word. We Need to be sitting down with our kids -- find out what they Are watching. Talk about 'that' in comparison to what God's Word teaches.

Maybe there are things / subjects that we Need to get into. Is what 'we' are doing / allowing really Pleasing to God.

time for my breakfast.

Active
One more comment -- "in fact they mention gods in Narnia" -- the Old Testament Also mentions 'gods' -- the people were worshipping all sorts of 'gods' except for the One and only True God. God tells the people -- if you're going to take time To worship a 'god' -- worship the only one Real God who created the world and everything in it. Namely Him, God, Himself. The One True God who has provided salvation for us. John 3:16. The Only God who want to have real relationship with Him through Jesus Christ.

Regarding the choking/ fainting 'game' -- and , no, it Isn't really a game at all. But it's found on-line. Parents are Supposed to be taking care of their kids -- monitoring what they watch and do. that's what Good parenting Is. Supposed to Be. Teaching them right from wrong from God's Word. We Need to be sitting down with our kids -- find out what they Are watching. Talk about 'that' in comparison to what God's Word teaches.

Maybe there are things / subjects that we Need to get into. Is what 'we' are doing / allowing really Pleasing to God.

time for my breakfast.
I agree parents should be raising their kids and it is sad but in today's culture parents are expecting public school systems to raise their kids for them. The public school system says we are so under paid, under equipped, and tied up with government regulations that we can't even properly teach the children let alone raise them. So it falls on the media to instill values into the children. We can a agree how horrible that outcome is.

Loyal
Greetings Paul

Although I can agree with a little of what you say, I cannot agree with it all.

How do kids learn? From being babies they learn by watching and copying.

In the day and age we live there is a lot to watch, a lot to copy. Before films kids learned from their parents, girls how to be mums, boys wanted to be like their dads. Look at the last 50 years, all that has changed and not for the better.

Now it is easy for a Christian parent to want to teach their children about God, about Jesus, about what is right and wrong in God's eyes. But now a days there are so many families with one believer and one lost soul. But even putting that aside, as soon as kids go to school they learn other things from each other. Mum or dad may say Harry Potter is not good because, but at school their mates say, it is exciting they do this, you should see that, read this, come to my place we can watch and you can decide. Ermmm Garden of Eden comes to mind.

It is not easy, believers Trust in the Lord, pray for their children, but the devil can attack other ways, and he does.

Now a days there are more unbelieving parents that believers, parents do their best but hearts have changed so much. I have seen our children and others, put the kids in front of a TV screen, switch on the cartoon and leave them to it. What are they learning and from such a young age. Then come the video games, violence and killing and guess what? They get extra points for it. What are we seeing today? Guns used like toys in USA, knives in the UK and other countries, there has been a hardening of hearts, kids are disrespectful to their parents and elders, is it not surprising?

These things influence the young, enquiring minds, you mention some items you were influenced by, I can mention several, one that comes to mind now was after watching a film where guys rolled in fire, my brother and myself did exactly the same. In the country grass was put at the side of the road when cut ready for collection, we set fire to it and dared each other to roll in it to put it out. It was one of these times we did so on a pile near the vicarage hedge and orchard, I wouldn't let my brother put it out, I let it take hold, it was revenge for the sexual abuse the vicar had done. The one thing led to another. It was after copying what we saw in a film, in those days films were tame, today it is kill, kill, kill and more as we have been discussing.

Loyal
I agree parents should be raising their kids and it is sad but in today's culture parents are expecting public school systems to raise their kids for them. The public school system says we are so under paid, under equipped, and tied up with government regulations that we can't even properly teach the children let alone raise them. So it falls on the media to instill values into the children. We can a agree how horrible that outcome is.

Greetings @A. Christian

Parents definitely should be raising their children, not working. If they have kids they should look after them, so many now a days cannot wait to go to work, and with kids at such a young age.

You are so right that many think the schools should teach them right and wrong, it is not down to them it is down to the parents. Sadly schools teach multi faith, they teach there is nothing wrong with having to mummy's or two daddy's. What are kids to think?

I certainly have my concerns for media instilling values into children, though it depends what you meant by that comment.

Blessings

Loyal

Greetings Sue

The Old and New Testaments talk of gods, most are warnings, false gods were for so many things, especially Roman gods.

Paul even made a statement when he arrived in Rome, on the basis of 'I can see you are religious people, I saw a sign, you worship an 'unknown' god.

It's religion Sue
- Religion is man's attempt to reach a god
- Christianity is God's attempt to reach man

Blessings

Active
CS Lewis wrote that quote about religion is man's attempt to reach God while christianity is God's attempt to reach man. What do you think about his Narnia series?

The media is a reflection of the values that society holds. And society has messed up values.

Loyal
@ A. Christian

I've never paid any attention to the Narnia series . The only book I've read by C.S. Lewis has been Mere Christianity. Over the years I've heard a lot about C.S. Lewis and finally decided to read that particular book. I really don't agree with all that he says.

The former son-in-law was into Narnia and C.S. Lewis. I'm not on that same wave-length. Entirely different interests in reading.

Loyal
CS Lewis wrote that quote about religion is man's attempt to reach God while christianity is God's attempt to reach man. What do you think about his Narnia series?

I was not aware who wrote 'religion is man's attempt to reach God while christianity is God's attempt to reach man' all I know it is 100% correct.

I have no idea about Chronicles of Narnia. I could ask, do you think parents should 'lie' to children about Santa Claus?

Active
@ A. Christian

I've never paid any attention to the Narnia series . The only book I've read by C.S. Lewis has been Mere Christianity. Over the years I've heard a lot about C.S. Lewis and finally decided to read that particular book. I really don't agree with all that he says.

The former son-in-law was into Narnia and C.S. Lewis. I'm not on that same wave-length. Entirely different interests in reading.
I can understand that. I've read mere christianity along with other works from him. Over all how did you like it? Were you able to finish it?

Loyal

So -- let's be the parents that God wants us to be. Maybe home school our kids. My younger daughter and husband have home schooled Their two daughters. They are in Colorado in a church that encourages it. Their daughters are both teenagers now. They cook, go to gymnastics -- learning sign language -- Lots of field trips to wonderful places. They dress modestly but no boys in the picture. yet.

You sort of skipped by the comment 'god's' vs 'God'.

Loyal
I can understand that. I've read mere christianity along with other works from him. Over all how did you like it? Were you able to finish it?

As I recall -- it's been a while -- I got bogged down after a while and it was kind of boring. Don't think I ever did finish it.

Active
I was not aware who wrote 'religion is man's attempt to reach God while christianity is God's attempt to reach man' all I know it is 100% correct.

I have no idea about Chronicles of Narnia. I could ask, do you think parents should 'lie' to children about Santa Claus?
Of course I believe that they should not lie about Santa. But as I have said in a previous thread santa is a very dangerous lie. Would you say veggie tales is ok?

Loyal
Of course I believe that they should not lie about Santa. But as I have said in a previous thread santa is a very dangerous lie. Would you say veggie tales is ok?

I am the only saved soul in the family, I once said Santa stories should be banned, let people still buy each other what they feel they want to, if they want to, according to what they can afford. I thought adding the last part of the statement some may agree, I was shot down instantly, they prefer the lie. But I was once where they are so left it at that. To be raised another time. LOL

I have not heard them, don't even know what they are.
The bottom end of the carrot?
:grin:

Loyal

Re: lying to children about Santa Claus. We raised 4 kids. We didn't do Anything about Santa Claus. Don't recall it ever coming up?! We did the Christmas tree and the account in Luke about the birth of the Christ Child. I really don't see Santa Claus As a dangerous lie. After looking it up. In Turkey there was a real St. Nichalous -- got presents for the very poor kids who's parents couldn't afford to get them anything. Our Santa Claus is the American version Of Old St. Nick.

Active
So -- let's be the parents that God wants us to be. Maybe home school our kids. My younger daughter and husband have home schooled Their two daughters. They are in Colorado in a church that encourages it. Their daughters are both teenagers now. They cook, go to gymnastics -- learning sign language -- Lots of field trips to wonderful places. They dress modestly but no boys in the picture. yet.

You sort of skipped by the comment 'god's' vs 'God'.
Its not that I skipped it. Ok maybe I did but that is because you havent read chronicles of narnia and I'm finding it difficult to explain exactly. In narnia there are evil gods in opposition to Aslan and there are also mention of lesser gods that are good and serve Aslan maybe we can equate them with angels.

Loyal
Re: veggie tales -- My kids are older -- I missed out on Veggie Tales -- aren't they simply cute stories featuring animated vegetables. To try to get kids to be more willing to eat them? I haven't been in that era for decades.

Active
Re: lying to children about Santa Claus. We raised 4 kids. We didn't do Anything about Santa Claus. Don't recall it ever coming up?! We did the Christmas tree and the account in Luke about the birth of the Christ Child. I really don't see Santa Claus As a dangerous lie. After looking it up. In Turkey there was a real St. Nichalous -- got presents for the very poor kids who's parents couldn't afford to get them anything. Our Santa Claus is the American version Of Old St. Nick.
I forgot to mention that I do want to homeschool my daughter. I remember we once had a discussion about christmas and santa how did that turn out?