• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

How do I accept Jesus as my Savior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Active

RJ

It is "possible" for a person to have "works" without faith, but it is "impossible" for a person to have "faith" without works.
@Curtis, I like how you put this and it is a self sufficient statement. In addition, I often like to take it further by saying: The "faith by works" is his works through us and not of our own! God credits us with Blamelessness, Holiness and Righteousness...not our own but his through us....that way he gets all the praise and glory and we can't boast!

Loyal
@Curtis, I like how you put this and it is a self sufficient statement. In addition, I often like to take it further by saying: The "faith by works" is his works through us and not of our own! God credits us with Blamelessness, Holiness and Righteousness...not our own but his through us....that way he gets all the praise and glory and we can't boast!
Exactly, as even Jesus never claimed to do anything, he even said, "I can of my own self do nothing". Jesus proclaimed that it was his Father dwelling within him that was doing the works.

Active
Sure I am. What I see is a Saint saying he struggles with doing what he considers right; as I see it, it's a basic struggle between the flesh and the spirit, which at that time Paul was not fully spirit yet...he was still man. He follows it up with Romans 8:1....but , of course, you say one can only be in the Christ if he has only participated in a ritual that requires man's participation and, I do not.

• I think you avoid my point. I never said that Acts was not a work of God but you have and, thus far, avoided a basic truth that I posed to you: Though the entire Bible is the work of God, he has continually and consistently gave us new covenants to live under. I am sure, you wouldn't disagree, The New Covenant supersedes the Old Covenant.....the New Covenant supersedes the : Noahic, Abrahamic, Mosaic and Davidic covenants.
  • What does the New Covenant mean:
We see that God promises to "make a new covenant," "not like" the old one, not like the covenant "they broke, though I was their husband." In this new covenant, "I will put my law within them, I will write on their hearts. And I will be their God and they shall be my people" (Jer 31:3
The new covenant comes through the death of Jesus Christ. It's in the Bible, Luke 22:20, NIV. "In the same way, after the supper He took the cup, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is poured out for you."
The new covenant means we can go directly to God through Christ. It's in the Bible, Hebrews 7:22, NIV. "Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant."
There is forgiveness of sins only through the new covenant. It's in the Bible, Hebrews 9:14-15, NIV. "How much more, then, will the blood of Christ , who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God! For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that He has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant."

• In that vain and, though it truly compliments what has come before, wouldn't you say that God's word is exactly in the order that he intended...the New supersedes the Old. I know what you will say..."Acts is part of the new" but, I am sure you will agree that Revelations supersedes Acts and therefore Paul's teachings would supersede Luke's? Not that Luke's was / is not very important but, in that since, Paul, the author of Ephesians ,writes from the perspective of union with Christ, who is the head of the true church. So, AGAIN,here is a point that I posed..... how do you reconcile your belief with Ephesians 2:8-9? In that light and for salvation, God excludes"works" of man....why, since man's physical involvement is crucial to water baptism, much less, total immersion....why is this "act" of man so vital to his salvation.

Yes, the Holy Spirit, reveals all mysteries...like Colossians 1:26, the mystery that has been kept hid den for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord's people.
I am a Lord's People and without him in me, I would not even know or have a chance to understand this verse. I see it as one of my "first fruits" of God in me.....and he can get inside one like myself, in or out of the water!

Hello RJ. Hey, I really like your avatar. You look like an old friend of mine back in the State of Maine. Yep, I grew up in Maine, and pastored two Country Baptist Churches. This fellow had a great rabbit beagle and he taught me the fine art of rabbit hunting. So, I guess that makes me a Maine-e-ack Preacher.

I think I read somewhere in this thread where someone didn't think you were really saved because you have never been water Baptized. Hey, that's a lie from hell. Don't you believe it. You my new friend are as saved as I am. You RJ are a Child of God and you and I are Brothers. Now, I see how dedicated you are to not submitting to a work of man which is Baptism. Hey, I get it. I have very good friends who have never been Baptized. Not for your reason, just never wanted to be re-baptized from the Methodist Church where I came from.

So look, if you somehow link up Baptism with Salvation, DON'T BE BAPTIZED!! Baptism has nothing to do with Salvation, NOTHING!! Salvation is the work of Almighty God thru His Son Jesus. It was Jesus Who shed His Blood for the remission of yours and my sins. We add nothing. I know that you already know that, I'm just saying that I've got your back on this one.

Baptism, in it's simplest form is your heart wanting to identify publicly with the Heart of Jesus in His death, burial, and resurrection of new life. If and when that happens, fine. If it never happens, your Salvation suffers nothing.

Active
Brother Chopper, I also do not believe there is such a thing as Baptism regeneration, and those who trust in that will be in for a big surprise one day. I myself would never tell anyone not to be water baptized, in fact I highly recommend it. If a born again child of God is never water Baptized they will continually ask, and wonder whether or not that they should. Doing so releases them of never wondering about it again, as it frees their conscience from such questions.
I believe that once a person confesses Jesus Christ as their Lord, and savior they are Baptized by one Spirit into one body. This is the true baptism, while water Baptism is only symbolic to the former. Being filled with the Holy Spirit which is a separate event is for empowering one for service. Being born of the Spirit, and being filled with the Spirit are not the same thing, as Jesus referred to being born of the Spirit as a "spring", that springs up unto eternal life. while being filled with the Spirit as a "roaring river" flowing out of a person.

Very good reply there Curtis. I like your wisdom and knowledge on this subject. LOL a roaring river. That's great, in fact that's a Chopper Home Run!

Active

RJ

Baptism has nothing to do with Salvation, NOTHING!!
Hallelujah Jesus and pass the biscuits...LOL! Being a Baptist preacher, that is very not intuitive of you...I guess that is the Christian Psychologist in you ....:), I'm sure to be an effective psychologist requires one to be accurate and truthful!...Whew!!!!

for forgiveness, receiving Jesus as their Lord (Master Owner) and Savior, they must be baptized by immersion shortly after Salvation.
The "must be baptized by immersion" got me!;)

Active
Hallelujah Jesus and pass the biscuits...LOL! Being a Baptist preacher, that is very not intuitive of you...I guess that is the Christian Psychologist in you ....:), I'm sure to be an effective psychologist requires one to be accurate and truthful!...Whew!!!!

The "must be baptized by immersion" got me!;)

Hey old bearded friend, Baptism shortly after confession of Jesus the Son of God has always been Baptist's practices way back in time. But, when an individual has second thoughts about water Baptism, that has to be considered as valid and from the Lord. Baptism, has to be entered with the right motives, otherwise, it's just a ceremony that accomplishes nothing.

First of all, when a person is drawn to Jesus the Son of God for Salvation, and he/she repents of their sins, asking for forgiveness, receiving Jesus as their Lord (Master Owner) and Savior, they must be baptized by immersion shortly after Salvation. You say "what if they don't get water baptized?" It has been my observance that that person will never receive the fullness of the Holy Spirit. They will always be babes in Christ, never attaining maturity.

Well, I am not water baptized yet.... but I have been baptized in the Holy Spirit. .....have I received His Fullness?...well, I don't know but it has been pretty amazing/awesome.... I questioned this at first but then felt like Acts 10:44-48 answered that for me. Those gentiles received the Holy Spirit BEFORE water baptism. Just a thought.

I would be interested in drillin' a hole in the lake up here..... kind of a polar plunge baptism .but I guess my pastor is all for waiting til summer. lol

Active
Well, I am not water baptized yet.... but I have been baptized in the Holy Spirit. .....have I received His Fullness?...well, I don't know but it has been pretty amazing/awesome.... I questioned this at first but then felt like Acts 10:44-48 answered that for me. Those gentiles received the Holy Spirit BEFORE water baptism. Just a thought.

I would be interested in drillin' a hole in the lake up here..... kind of a polar plunge baptism .but I guess my pastor is all for waiting til summer. lol

Hi there Ellie. One thing that I know for sure, no man has ever figured out the workings of the Holy Spirit of God. In my mind, I'm a prisoner to the Word of God, and that's about all I can teach. Since God's ways are not my ways, and His thoughts are not my thoughts, God Almighty is not cramped by my understanding and teachings. Praise His Holy Name, He does in each believer, such as you, what He sees is necessary for your best.

God never goes against what is written in His Word, He can operate between the lines, so to speak, to bring Glory to Himself and to His Son Jesus.

Hi there Ellie. One thing that I know for sure, no man has ever figured out the workings of the Holy Spirit of God. In my mind, I'm a prisoner to the Word of God, and that's about all I can teach.

I hear ya. I'm still like a little sheep in God's fold, but one that is finding out God's Word is amazing and the only thing I can seem to trust. Thanks bro ....I've also figured out He has a sense of humor heheh...

Active
I hear ya. I'm still like a little sheep in God's fold, but one that is finding out God's Word is amazing and the only thing I can seem to trust. Thanks bro ....I've also figured out He has a sense of humor heheh...

O yes, He has a sense of humor. He made monkeys and me!!:laugh:

Loyal

Do you want to know God?

Do you yearn to experience the Lord’s comforting presence, power, and wisdom? That’s good, because God loves you and wants to have a personal relationship with you forever.

The problem is . . .

. . . one thing separates you from a relationship with God—sin. You and I sin whenever we fail to live by the Lord’s holy standard. In fact, Romans 3:23: “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”

Furthermore, Romans 6:23 explains that the penalty for sin is death—separation from God in hell forever. No matter how hard we try, we cannot save ourselves or get rid of our sins. We can’t earn our way to heaven by being good, going to church, or being baptized (Eph. 2:8-9).

Understanding how helpless we are because of our sins, God sent His only Son, Jesus, to save us.

Jesus Christ lived a perfect, sinless life, and then died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins (Rom. 5:8). Three days later, He rose from the dead—showing that He had triumphed over sin and death once and for all.

So how can you know God?

It all starts with accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. Jesus Christ provides a relationship with the Father and eternal life through His death on the cross and resurrection (Rom. 5:10).

Romans 10:9 promises, “If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” If you have not yet begun your personal relationship with God, understand that the One who created you loves you no matter who you are or what you’ve done. He wants you to experience the profound depth of His care.

Therefore, tell God that you are willing to trust Him for salvation. You can tell Him in your own words or use this simple prayer:

Lord Jesus, I ask You to forgive my sins and save me from eternal separation from God. By faith, I accept Your work and death on the cross as sufficient payment for my sins. Thank You for providing the way for me to know You and to have a relationship with my heavenly Father. Through faith in You, I have eternal life. Thank You also for hearing my prayers and loving me unconditionally. Please give me the strength, wisdom, and determination to walk in the center of Your will. In Jesus’ name, amen.

If you have just prayed this prayer, congratulations!

Faith in Jesus Christ is not just words we repeat after someone. It is not an emotional one-time decision we make at an altar. It is not an intellectual assent to what Jesus did in dying on the cross for our sins. It is a life-time decision to follow Jesus Christ with our lives in surrender to him, in submission to the cross, and in obedience to his commands. When John 3:16 says that whoever believes in him has eternal life, the words are actually “whoever believing in him.” We are not saved on the basis of something we did in the past, in other words. Faith is present and it is continuous, and it endures to the end or it is not true faith. This is what God’s word teaches. The righteous requirement of the law is fulfilled in us who walk not according to the flesh, but who walk according to the Spirit. If we walk according to the flesh, we will die, but if by the Spirit we are putting to death the deeds of the flesh, we will live. If we say we have fellowship with God, but we continue walking in darkness, we are liars, and the truth is not in us (See: 1 Jn. 1:6; Ro. 8:1-14).

More at http://www.talkjesus.com/threads/are-we-counting-the-cost.55150/

The book of acts was not just a book of history but was written by Luke and was inspired by the Holy Ghost. Luke of course wrote the Gospel according to Luke. And he traveled often with Paul.
Steven howz your walk with Christ doing?

I accepted Christ as my Lord, and believe everything in the bible and still nothing happened to me. I even repented of obvious sins and taking Jesus x10 more seriously than before. I'm memorizing scriptures Is getting the Holy Spirit like a journey or somethin'? I read a testimony of a guy who took months or 2 years.
Guess it depends on the person?

Loyal
Is getting the Holy Spirit like a journey or somethin'?
No. Gettin the Holy Spirit should happen at the very beginning when one has the full gospel preached to them and believes.
Way too many people claim that they have received the Holy Spirit but without any of the scriptural proof that we can read about in the Word.
The Holy Spirit is an optional extra that may or may not be necessary to salvation. The HS is instantly given to everybody who "believes."
The HS is a warm fuzzy feeling. Or you have it because someone else told you that you have.
But none of the above is in agreement with the scriptures.

Read the gospel of John, particularly chapters 3-4 and 14 - 17 where Jesus begins to explain and declare the absolute need for the Holy Spirit in order to
be a true disciple. The Spirit of Truth who would teach us of Jesus and lead us into all righteousness.

Mark 16:15-20 - these signs shall follow them that believe - here again our Lord sets out the benchmarks for true believers. If you believe the gospel,
then you will be water baptized and also baptized in the Holy Spirit with the following evidence or signs to confirm the Word of God.
Believers filled with the Holy Spirit SHALL speak/pray in tongues.

This leads us to the book of Acts where you can read how all this happens - as it still does today - Pentecost. Not charismatic praise and worship,
but true Pentecost. Read the book of Acts: here is the beginning of the Christian Church. Still operating today according to Acts and the epistles.
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,
and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Acts 2:38-39

You need to be with Pentecostal disciples who can preach the gospel to you, with the expectation that upon believing and accepting the gospel given by
Jesus and the Apostles you will then be prepared to be baptized by full immersion; and then to seek to receive (baptized in) the Holy Spirit with the
BIBLE evidence of speaking in tongues.

The Revival Fellowship North America

Active
Sister Smiley,you could not be more wrong! LOL Before Jesus came into your life,you were lost,( Luke 15:31-32) and now you are found,you had no hope, now you are full of hope!( Rom 15:13) You had no peace,but now Jesus looks upon you in his own peace! For Jesus sees Smiley in this light now!( Phil 4:7-8) And last but sure not least,you had no reason to ever be thankful,now you are thankful every single day!( 1 Thess 5:18) knowing!!

You also always stay in his very will!! We learn dear sister Jesus is not goose bumps,he is not an emotion,or a feeling,He is a person who desires just one thing from us now.OUR TIME! A lot has happened to you sis! You are here to join us all as a most important part of the body of Christ,to know you are loved as we are,that you now have purpose,where before you looked for purpose.

We learn sister to say we believe,means we live as believing!( James 1:22) Words now matter,because in our very words purpose becomes established through our Jesus who confirms his word to us!( Col 4:6) Find a good body of Christ near you sis,for the gifts you have are needed by many,and they have need to also give back unto you.In this sister in closing we understand this!( John 13:34-35)

Go forth now and be that love to so many who need it,even as you did! In a few days from the time you read this,an event will occur to confirm these words to you,and you will know Jesus speaks to his people.For it was told me one day by an angel of the Lord at my doorstep when I myself was going through the very same as you are now,he said" God sends who he knows,and he always knows who he sends!" Blessing to you sis! It is so true sister,Jesus is far more aware of you,then we are of our self! You will see. For you personal sis from Jesus in me!( Isaiah 41:9-13!!)

No. Gettin the Holy Spirit should happen at the very beginning when one has the full gospel preached to them and believes.
Way too many people claim that they have received the Holy Spirit but without any of the scriptural proof that we can read about in the Word.
The Holy Spirit is an optional extra that may or may not be necessary to salvation. The HS is instantly given to everybody who "believes."
The HS is a warm fuzzy feeling. Or you have it because someone else told you that you have.
But none of the above is in agreement with the scriptures.

Read the gospel of John, particularly chapters 3-4 and 14 - 17 where Jesus begins to explain and declare the absolute need for the Holy Spirit in order to
be a true disciple. The Spirit of Truth who would teach us of Jesus and lead us into all righteousness.

Mark 16:15-20 - these signs shall follow them that believe - here again our Lord sets out the benchmarks for true believers. If you believe the gospel,
then you will be water baptized and also baptized in the Holy Spirit with the following evidence or signs to confirm the Word of God.
Believers filled with the Holy Spirit SHALL speak/pray in tongues.

This leads us to the book of Acts where you can read how all this happens - as it still does today - Pentecost. Not charismatic praise and worship,
but true Pentecost. Read the book of Acts: here is the beginning of the Christian Church. Still operating today according to Acts and the epistles.
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,
and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Acts 2:38-39

You need to be with Pentecostal disciples who can preach the gospel to you, with the expectation that upon believing and accepting the gospel given by
Jesus and the Apostles you will then be prepared to be baptized by full immersion; and then to seek to receive (baptized in) the Holy Spirit with the
BIBLE evidence of speaking in tongues.

Really? Isn't receiving the holy spirit when you start crying, falling everywhere, and start speaking in tongues? Then again. I wouldn't know. I'm just typing what I heard from testimonies. Btw, is baptized in water necessary? Is it possible to not be in water and still repent and get it? Maybe I don't really believe it fully.

Loyal
Really? Isn't receiving the holy spirit when you start crying, falling everywhere, and start speaking in tongues? Then again. I wouldn't know. I'm just typing what I heard from testimonies. Btw, is baptized in water necessary? Is it possible to not be in water and still repent and get it? Maybe I don't really believe it fully.
NO - all that emotionalism is charismatic hoo-haa nonsense.
True Pentecost is when people are converted by the truth of the scriptures, are then obedient to the Word of God and are baptized by full immersion,
and then are baptized in the Holy Spirit with the only Bible evidence recorded for us to know of: they shall speak in new tongues. A God given spiritual language
which is beyond our understanding but communicates directly spiritually with God.

Yes, you are commanded to be water baptized by Jesus himself (and the Apostles). Obedience is a good place to start from.

1> read the scriptures for yourself; they will lead you to salvation. Pray to Jesus to be lead to the truth. Pray for the same experience that you can read in
the book of Acts - how the Christian Church became established in power with signs and miracles following.
KJV/NKJV is a good reading combo.

Connect with true Pentecost wherein all things are done decently and in order - no falling down and other nonsense....

NO - all that emotionalism is charismatic hoo-haa nonsense.
True Pentecost is when people are converted by the truth of the scriptures, are then obedient to the Word of God and are baptized by full immersion,
and then are baptized in the Holy Spirit with the only Bible evidence recorded for us to know of: they shall speak in new tongues. A God given spiritual language
which is beyond our understanding but communicates directly spiritually with God.

Yes, you are commanded to be water baptized by Jesus himself (and the Apostles). Obedience is a good place to start from.

1> read the scriptures for yourself; they will lead you to salvation. Pray to Jesus to be lead to the truth. Pray for the same experience that you can read in
the book of Acts - how the Christian Church became established in power with signs and miracles following.
KJV/NKJV is a good reading combo.

Connect with true Pentecost wherein all things are done decently and in order - no falling down and other nonsense....

Really? Thanks. I will definitely will work on obedience. I think that's probably a good place to start cuz I really don't think I'm ready to be baptized. Do you watch TV? Do you think cooking shows are clean to watch? I don't have a problem w/ reading the bible itself I just need other stuff to keep busy since TV is something im deep into.

I personally believe if you accept Jesus Christ by faith alone you should testify to the world by Water Baptism if so possible.

Note: Thief on the Cross got saved but we have no clue if he was ever baptized?

You are saved by faith alone working through the Grace of God. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.