• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Hi I'm Muslim & want to know about Jesus in Christianity

Good morning OneGodBeliever;
I know you have had much to consider regarding Jesus during the past few days. I know that within Islam, Jesus is just another prophet. I fully appreciate that believing in one God as portrayed in the Old Testament and the Quran is easier to understand than a triune God whose Son was sent as a sacrificial lamb to atone for our sin as described in the New Testament, and adds the Holy Spirit as a helper, may add further confusion.

I appreciate that while the Quran mentions some people from the Old Testament, it only mentions two from the New Testament: Mary, and Jesus. No others are mentioned. I understand why because Muhammad did not believe the concept of Jesus being God's only begotten Son, and Jesus being our Redeemer. Therefore, why would it be placed into the Quran? Muhammad had no problem with Jesus being only a prophet. He accepted Mary's miraculous conception although the Quran offers no explanation as to why other than Allah can do as he pleases being Mary's sustainer.

I know Muhammad did not create the Quran on his own, and I agree a spiritual force guided him in its creation. I do not believe the average muslim is a blood thirsty killer. They are people, no different than people on any other part of the planet, who want to raise their children and play with their grand children in peace. This stuff isn't about religion which is believing in a higher power. it's about being joint heirs with a Redeemer who promises peace in this world, hope and eternal life in the next life, and his followers being part of an organization to become his bride, simply called the Church.

I do not say this to threaten or intimidate you into submission. I say it because I want you to know the peace of Christ and inherit eternal life. I cannot nor will I force you. The leading is by the Holy Spirit, not me. It is your decision and I will accept whatever you decide.

Philippians 4:8. "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things." Cheers, John
Thanks for the insight. Could you tell me why Jesus is called son of man?

Loyal
The name is taken from Daniel 7. Daniel was a prophet during the exile of Jews in Babylon, around 4 centuries before Jesus.

I saw in the night visions,

and behold, with the clouds of heaven
there came one like a son of man,
and he came to the Ancient of Days
and was presented before him.
And to him was given dominion
and glory and a kingdom,
that all peoples, nations, and languages
should serve him;
his dominion is an everlasting dominion,
which shall not pass away,
and his kingdom one
that shall not be destroyed.

You might naturally think that Son of Man is quite a modest title (aren't all men son's of a man). But the Daniel passage indicates that Jesus was claiming an everlasting dominion over all peoples, and a kingdom that will not be destroyed.

Active

You ask a good question. I don't know if I can answer it satisfactorily, but I'll try. The nature of Jesus is kind of like the dual citizenship of belonging to two countries. Because Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit (also called Holy Ghost), that made him belonging to God. But, he was born of a woman therefore making him belonging to man. At the time of Mary's conception, she was engaged to Joseph.

(Mat 1:18-25 NIV)
18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit.
19 Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.
21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."
22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet:
23 "The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" (which means "God with us").
24 When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife.
25 But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.

As Hekuran wrote, the birth of Jesus was foretold by the prophet Daniel. I provide a reference from the book of Matthew which is traditionally read during Christmas. Cheers, John

You ask a good question. I don't know if I can answer it satisfactorily, but I'll try. The nature of Jesus is kind of like the dual citizenship of belonging to two countries. Because Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit (also called Holy Ghost), that made him belonging to God. But, he was born of a woman therefore making him belonging to man. At the time of Mary's conception, she was engaged to Joseph.

18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit.
19 Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.
21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."
23 "The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" (which means "God with us").
24 When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife.
25 But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.

As Hekuran wrote, the birth of Jesus was foretold by the prophet Daniel. I provide a reference from the book of Matthew which is traditionally read during Christmas. Cheers, John
Hi, I have another question on John. In have asked it here
Trinity Verse Removed?

Hi, I have another question on John. In have asked it here
Trinity Verse Removed?

Active

You ask a good question. The verse you refer to is part of the Comma Johanneum.

1 John 5:6-9 (KJV)
6 This is he that came by water and blood, [even] Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

1 John 5:6-9 (RSV)
6 This is he who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ, not with the water only but with the water and the blood.
7 And the Spirit is the witness, because the Spirit is the truth.
8 There are three witnesses, the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree
9 If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater; for this is the testimony of God that he has borne witness to his Son.

There is debate as to why verse 7 in the KJV version appeared in the form it does as it does not appear in most other translations. Here apparently is the answer:
This verse has virtually no support among the early Greek manuscripts . . . Its appearance in late Greek manuscripts is based on the fact that Erasmus was placed under ecclesiastical (religious) pressure to include it in his Greek NT of 1522, having omitted it in his two earlier editions of 1516 and 1519 because he could not find any Greek manuscripts which contained it.​

Words and phrases are sometimes changed to be more specific. And there are some other areas of the New Testament which are similar. The concept of the Trinity is not solely based on 1 John 5:7. Rather, it is a realization of Scripture which leads one to consider that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit have a common relationship. Why did the authors of the King James translate 1 John 5:7 the way they did is beyond me. But, it does not contradict the intent of the New Testament overall. Instead, it defines their relationship in a single sentence. Cheers, John

You ask a good question. The verse you refer to is part of the Comma Johanneum.

1 John 5:6-9 (KJV)
6 This is he that came by water and blood, [even] Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

1 John 5:6-9 (RSV)
6 This is he who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ, not with the water only but with the water and the blood.
7 And the Spirit is the witness, because the Spirit is the truth.
8 There are three witnesses, the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree
9 If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater; for this is the testimony of God that he has borne witness to his Son.

There is debate as to why verse 7 in the KJV version appeared in the form it does as it does not appear in most other translations. Here apparently is the answer:
This verse has virtually no support among the early Greek manuscripts . . . Its appearance in late Greek manuscripts is based on the fact that Erasmus was placed under ecclesiastical (religious) pressure to include it in his Greek NT of 1522, having omitted it in his two earlier editions of 1516 and 1519 because he could not find any Greek manuscripts which contained it.​

Words and phrases are sometimes changed to be more specific. And there are some other areas of the New Testament which are similar. The concept of the Trinity is not solely based on 1 John 5:7. Rather, it is a realization of Scripture which leads one to consider that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit have a common relationship. Why did the authors of the King James translate 1 John 5:7 the way they did is beyond me. But, it does not contradict the intent of the New Testament overall. Instead, it defines their relationship in a single sentence. Cheers, John
I see that it's not a translation mistake but a whole verse is removed. I am sure there is a different explanation!

Loyal
I see that it's not a translation mistake but a whole verse is removed. I am sure there is a different explanation!
Some say that it was a footnote written in the margin of a written manuscript that should not have been included in any case. God does know the answer. Some men will say that they do. Again, God does know the answer.

Some say that it was a footnote written in the margin of a written manuscript that should not have been included in any case. God does know the answer. Some men will say that they do. Again, God does know the answer.
Hmm. That makes sense. Maybe it really was a footnote.

Loyal
Hmm. That makes sense. Maybe it really was a footnote.
I believe that it was a footnote, but God nevertheless knows everything that is happening and is in a sense in control. We are able to make our own choices, but out choices are not always what we believe that they are. God wants us all to choose Him, but most of us did not know what that meant and many of us still do not. The Trinity itself is a stumbling block to many people which prevents them from moving forward in more important things as God understands important. The scripture simply says:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." Matt 6:33-34

If we are seeking first things first God will add to us whatever is really needed. Sometimes we do not know what is needed even though we think that we do. God does.

The footnote in the margin as I said I see as a stumbling block, but someone who is really seeking those first things first will NOT stumble because he is being directed by God.

Hi ,

I Have heard Jesus in Christianity is different from Islam. What ways is he different?
A true understanding of who God is can only come through revelation from God himself. This revelation comes when we first believe by FAITH that jesus is our savior and died on the cross for our sins.
1 corinthians 2:14 from the bible tells the unbeliever that the gospel is foolishness to those that have not yet been born again. Born again means a clean slate, a new beginning all sins are forgiven to those that repent and ask god to be their Lord and savior.
john 3:16 states that for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that anyone who BELIEVES in him shall not perish but have eternal life. + =

Active
He's a prophet. Jesus is God? I had heard he was son of God?
Jesus is not a prophet. It makes no sense in Islam either. He stands out among all the other prophets. The other prophets prophesied of His coming.

Jesus is God. If it confuses you, just think of Him as God.

What you have to try grasp is that the Jews sought to kill Him, because He called Himself God. John 5:18 For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

God came to earth. God does not bend the rules as He is impartial Acts 10:34 and good Psalm 136:1. So, He placed the full curse of being a human on Himself. Placed Himself in a weak flesh and lay His life down as a lamb to the slaughter. Isa 53:7 He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.

According to Isa 9:6, when people call Jesus the Son of God or the Messiah, they are calling Him God almighty. Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

God died for us. He did not send a prophet to die for us. God does not shurk His responsibilities. God loves us. Not some random prophet. The greatest prophets would not come close to enduring what Jesus did. Jesus sweat blood in anticipation of sin coming upon Him. Did any other prophet sweat blood? Luke 22:44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

Calling Jesus a prophet is a complete mockery of and insult to God and Him laying His life down for us. Every person who teaches this whilst knowing the truth / or even suspecting it, will be called to account. Nobody wants to be that person standing before God on judgment day!!

Hello "One God believer",

Please may I add my 2 cents about one or two things?

(1) I think that getting hung up and not getting your head round the Trinity may be satan putting obstructions in your way; when you have accepted Jesus it will no longer seem to matter.

The idea of the 'Father, Son and Holy Spirit' as three in one, is a bit of an odd one, but it's not quite so difficult if looked at the other way round.

You are "You", when you marry you are a "Husband" and when you have children you are a "Father"

(2) satan gets many people to look for proof in order to help them to believe, but once you have faith and believe, the Holy Spirit opens one's mind and one sees little proofs, in order to encourage your faith.

(3) It seems that all religions end up with rules, rules, rules; man made rules ! that are nothing to do with being a Christian. Very often we fail and are less close to Jesus than we would like to be, but if we are truly sorry, and ask Jesus, he forgives us because he loves us. BUT WE HAVE TO ASK, it isn't just given away.. In the same way, Jesus is just longing for us to ASK HIM TO COME INTO OUR LIVES, but we have to ask. Jesus simply wants us to lead a kind generous loving life, to be an example to others (that we call witness)., and to tell others about him.

god is god ..jesus cannot be god...jesus is made of flesh and blood..he was created by the lord the god of the universe...here comes a question: who had created jesus? who made him? the one who created jesus is the god of jesus...god is not in need of a son he is perfect..a man is in need of a child..god is not in need of anything...usually humans get married and bring children..is god a human?? this is the description of humans...what if the word "son of god" means the servant of god??? what if the word "father of jesus" means the lord of jesus??
did god get married and gave birth to jesus???
god is a perfect being who is not in need of everything..jesus was made of flesh and blood..thus he is human who was created by a creator thus he is not god he is the creation of god the servant of god..the soul of god as what muslims say
"The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, is the Messenger of God, and His Word that He conveyed to Mary, and a Spirit from Him"
this is jesus in the Quran

Jesus was created The similitude of Jesus before Allah is as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him: "Be". And he was. (3:59, Yusif Ali)
god made Adam without a mother and a father … is he incapable of making jesus without a father??

Active
Jesus was created The similitude of Jesus before Allah is as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him: "Be". And he was. (3:59, Yusif Ali)
god made Adam without a mother and a father … is he incapable of making jesus without a father??

Hi, Name of God. The Quran is spot on if you remove the divinity of Jesus and adopt the attitude that Allah created Jesus with no purpose other than, "Look what I can do". Bit of a cavalier attitude, don't you think?

The Hebrews called Jesus, The Messiah. In Greek, Jesus Christ. Both mean the same thing: Jesus, the Anointed One. The birth of Jesus the man was no accident nor a display of power. It was a planned and deliberate fulfillment of a promise made and repeated to several people at different times in the Old Testament. Those promises were written well before the Christians appeared who appeared well before Muhammad.

Loyal
8. The timing of His birth (Genesis 49:10).

9. Place of His birth (Micah 5:2).

10. He was born in the flesh (Isaiah 9:6).

11. A star will signal His birth (Numbers 24:17).

12. His virgin birth (Isaiah 7:14).

13. His divine name (Isaiah 7:14).

14. Presentation of gifts to Him (Psalm 72:10-11).

15. Massacre of children after His birth (Jeremiah 31:15).

16. His escape into Egypt (Hosea 11:1).

17. His residence in Nazareth (Matthew 2:23).

18. His childhood poverty (Isaiah 53:2).

19. His Spirit-filled nature from birth (Isaiah 1:1-2).

Loyal
I'm struggling with the concept of Trinity. None of the concepts are getting through the mind. How can three different god's be one God?
Man is a "spirit", he has a "soul", and he lives in a "body". These three parts make "one" man. God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit = "one" God.

1Th 5:23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Loyal

John 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.