• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Staff Member
Greetings,

below is a shortened version of a sermon by Leonard Ravenhill
the full version of the sermon will be posted below

Please take the time to watch/listen to this first message, at least and may it be a blessing to you ....><>

Staff Member
Thank you for sharing @Br. Bear

I watched the first video....well worth watching.
Very heart searching and convicting.

I will take time to watch the full version.

Staff Member
Greetings,

this one part of the message has stood out to me and i wanted to share it here

Bless you ....><>

from a sermon transcript which varies slightly to the sermon recorded above

I was going down the street in Oldham, which is nine miles outside of Manchester. I was in my early twenties. I pastored the largest church in town; in fact, the largest Holiness church in England. I was going down the street one day. As I passed a house, the lady opened the door,

"Hi! You’re the pastor at the Tabernacle. I often come to your church. I sit on the back seat. I’m very poor. I can’t give anything in the offering, but I want to do something for you. Would you come into my house and drink a cup of tea?"

Well, usually, of course, I want tea, so I said, "Yes." I went in, and boy! did that house smell. I got in there and she had finger nails clogged up with dirt. The kitchen sink was filled with dirty dishes.

There was a plate with some old bacon covered with mold.
That fuzzy horrid looking stuff.

She reached into the kitchen sink to a stack of cups and picked one. You know, the tea had dried on the outside. Oh, mercy on us! It looked as though it had about a hundred bugs at the bottom: dried, dirty, rotten old tea leaves. In fact, some were moldy.

"Well, now" she said, "I’m going to get you a cup of tea."
I said, "All right."
She poured the tea into the cup. It was as black as my shoes, and I don’t like black tea.
"Do you take cream?" "Yes." "Well, I have none."
"Do you take sugar?" "Yes." "I have none."
With that dirty hand shaking, I saw the black stuff that was supposed to be tea, cold as ice.
I hesitated. I felt like tipping it up. But I knew I was on trial.
She held the cup up, "Drink it!"

As she handed me that cup of dirty tea, my mind went 2000 miles away to a place called Gethsemane, 2000 years back. The Father gave a cup of all the dregs of impurity and wickedness. He didn’t give it to Gabriel. He didn’t give it to Michael the Archangel. He gave it to his Son!

Staff Member
Greetings,

I have often thought about this. If someone gave you a cup, and you knew they had spat in it, would you drink it?

If someone told you to wait a moment, while they fetched a cup from the toilet and told you they used it for making tea with, would you like to drink from it?

If someone vomited in a cup, would you drink it?

Does this sound too vile?

Did you know your sin is filthy, contaminated, deadly, disgusting AND vile?

If you were asked to drink only your sin, would you?

Would you be willing to drink another's putrid cup of sin?

The good news, as disgusting it was for the Son of God, is that He took that cup for you, He took the cup for the whole world.... and you don't have to.

But let me ask once more, would you drink your own cup if you knew how absolutely repungent it was?

If not, and this also is part of the message of the gospel, then you should not expect the other man [or woman or child] to have to drink theirs.

Think about this.

Bless you ....><>

Active
I'm sure we have no way of knowing the fullness of the horror of that cup that Christ drank and experienced. For Him Who always did the Father's will, to shrink back from it, is a testimony to it.

Is there not some connection to it and the serpent on the pole. (John 3: 14) "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:" Perhaps the video addressed this, but I didn't watch all of it.

(1 Cor. 10:16) "The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ?" Here 'cup' speaks to a common union or 'communion'.

Did not the 'cup' which Christ drank bring Him into the common union with that which He died for? Did He not experience it? The judgement that fell on Christ was terrible. But more terrible was His being brought into a communion with all which is evil, which would bring about that judgement.

Quantrill

Loyal
Greetings,

this one part of the message has stood out to me and i wanted to share it here

Bless you ....><>

from a sermon transcript which varies slightly to the sermon recorded above

I was going down the street in Oldham, which is nine miles outside of Manchester. I was in my early twenties. I pastored the largest church in town; in fact, the largest Holiness church in England. I was going down the street one day. As I passed a house, the lady opened the door,

"Hi! You’re the pastor at the Tabernacle. I often come to your church. I sit on the back seat. I’m very poor. I can’t give anything in the offering, but I want to do something for you. Would you come into my house and drink a cup of tea?"

Well, usually, of course, I want tea, so I said, "Yes." I went in, and boy! did that house smell. I got in there and she had finger nails clogged up with dirt. The kitchen sink was filled with dirty dishes.

There was a plate with some old bacon covered with mold.
That fuzzy horrid looking stuff.

She reached into the kitchen sink to a stack of cups and picked one. You know, the tea had dried on the outside. Oh, mercy on us! It looked as though it had about a hundred bugs at the bottom: dried, dirty, rotten old tea leaves. In fact, some were moldy.

"Well, now" she said, "I’m going to get you a cup of tea."
I said, "All right."
She poured the tea into the cup. It was as black as my shoes, and I don’t like black tea.
"Do you take cream?" "Yes." "Well, I have none."
"Do you take sugar?" "Yes." "I have none."
With that dirty hand shaking, I saw the black stuff that was supposed to be tea, cold as ice.
I hesitated. I felt like tipping it up. But I knew I was on trial.
She held the cup up, "Drink it!"

As she handed me that cup of dirty tea, my mind went 2000 miles away to a place called Gethsemane, 2000 years back. The Father gave a cup of all the dregs of impurity and wickedness. He didn’t give it to Gabriel. He didn’t give it to Michael the Archangel. He gave it to his Son!
I did watch the first short version and was touched by it. Give God the glory!

Staff Member
I will mention the lovingkindnesses of the Lord, and the praises of the Lord, according to all that the Lord hath bestowed on us.
Isaiah 63:7

The Son of God loved me, and gave Himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ, Who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father: to Whom be glory for ever and ever.
Amen.

Galatians 1:3-5

Staff Member
Fear not; for I have redeemed thee.
Isaiah 43:1

Fear not; for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame: for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more. For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is His name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel.
Isaiah 54:4-5

I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto Me; for I have redeemed thee.
Isaiah 44:22

With the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.
1Peter 1:19

Staff Member
Greetings,

Anyone care for a cup of tea?

If you have not read the OP, please do

Grace and Peace in and through the Lord Jesus Christ

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member

Evangelist Leonard Ravenhill I truly enjoyed the short clip, and the whole teaching vid as well. He is quiet entertaining and gives one much to chew on throughout.
However, he does go off topic now and again. I see he brings it back again, but trying to tie each diversion, into the topic of Gethsemane's Cup is difficult at best, at least for me.
I don't think the Lord was disgusted with the disciples in Gethsemane when he found them sleeping time, after time. They who slept didn't know the Momentous Event in all of History that they were living and was about to occur. Our Lord understood what was about to happen, but for the disciples it was just another day, like the one that was just passing. Wouldn't we have been the same? Waiting for the dawn of another day. Not knowing as they, what was about to transpire? Would Jesus have been disappointed in them, in us? Yet, what did He say? "The Spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." He understood. I wonder the disciples thoughts in retrospect, on that faithful night. Regret? Shame? Holy Spirit understanding?

I do appreciate the comparison of the filthiness of our sins filling the Cup drunk by our Lord on the Cross, by what was presented to him to drink by this lone woman. The imagery he uses to have us look at what the most depraved sins possible, our Lord took upon Himself. Doing this for the Father, while we can hardly desist from doing the things which the corruption that our Lord had to drink, and we Believers!!!!!! Did you notice that he didn't say whether he drank that tea? :)

1Pe 3:18 NKJV - For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit,
1Jo 2:2 NKJV - And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

As a side note. He mentions a young man in a church in Brooklyn. Brooklyn is where I was raised until I joined the military 48 years ago! How small the world truly is!

Thank-you brother for sharing, especially on this day of days.

With the Love of Christ Jesus dear Brother.
Nick
\o/
<><

Last edited:
Staff Member
Bless you my Brother
Your words stir me ...

My love (as feeble and lacking as it is) to you and yours

Jesus is Lord

Last edited: