• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Forum Etiquette

A big thank you to Chad and the mod team! This is a great site. I consider it an honor to post here and minister encouragement to God's people.
Abiding by the rules is what keeps this place in order and I believe it also honors God when we do what is right.
I attempt to post within your guidelines. If I err please inform me asap and I will gladly comply.
Thanks again to the staff for their labor if love that is TJ.
Much love in Christ,
your brother Larry.

PS: If it is a pride thing for some is the post count even necessary?

Thank you Chad for taking the time to see that this forum is clean and upright before God. And thank you for watching out for our security in the responses we give. I will be more careful to adhere to these policies. Please forgive me if in the past I did not follow these rules. Maybe, if possible, you can have a three strikes program that once you get a third strike your banned for a month? Just an Idea. Take care and again thank you for taking the time to run this forum with ministry in mind.

PS. This is my first forum I joined. I am grateful for the edification in service to his name and Im proud to be here.

Chad said: "Its really sad that people can be that foolish and disrespectful that way, really. I'm baffled that one would even call themselves a Christian when they cannot even follow one immensely basic simple rule that even an 8 year old child could understand."

Brother Chad - I find this remark a bit unacceptable. One may have many reasons for not being able to follow what you consider to be a simple rule - none of which has anything to do with whether or not they are a believer and follower of Jesus Christ. Our faith is not about following rules primarily - it's about faith period.

Hi Chad,

Don't have a problem at all with the rules and etiquette, but I do have a question or two for clarification:

You mention that there should be no "debates." What do you mean by debate? Obviously if two people are of differing denominations they would both be considered to be Christian, but may have differing views on certain subjects (e.g.: tongues).

Which leads into question #2 for clarification: you mention "no false teaching of Scripture." Obviously if a member of a cult were to come here and teach their religion (e.g: Mormonism) then it is clear that they have deviated from Scripture. But what of denominational differences? For instance, tongues as only human language v.s. tongues as an angelic/heavenly language?

Thanks for your time and energy on this site! God bless you!

This is so awsome to read, and I would ask for the same respect on a page or site I was building, I am thankful to be a part of Talk Jesus. Thank You Chad

Forum Etiquette (Wikipedia)

Certain rules of unspoken etiquette are recommended to be followed when using Internet forums. They include:
  • One should read all the rules and guidelines established by the community.
  • One should always be courteous.
  • Before creating a new topic thread, one is advised to search to see if a similar topic already exists.
  • Contributors should follow standard grammar and spelling rules and avoid slang.
  • If the forum is categorized, one should strive to post in the correct section.
  • When making a technical inquiry, one should include as much technical information as possible.
  • Contributors are asked to stay on-topic.
  • Contributors should avoid double posting and cross posting.
  • To avoid appearing self-absorbed, one should respond to topics started by others more often than starting topics of their own.
  • Contributors should avoid the use of all CAPITAL LETTERS in posts. All CAPS is considered "shouting" and causes readability issues.
  • One is advised not to resurrect a very old topic if nothing significant will be added. This practice is known as revival or Necroing.
  • One should try to refrain from lashing back at a poorly behaving member or participating in a flame war; instead, notify the message board's staff of the event.
  • When quoting a previous post, one should only include the relevant portion of that post. Contributors are requested to keep in mind that their audience can likely still see the message they are quoting on the same screen and can read it again if need be.
  • One should not attempt to "post build" (monopolize) the forum. This shows poor quality of posts.
  • When quoting an article, one must give credit where credit is due. Provide the articles original name and author's full name.
Why Is This 'Etiquette' Posted Here?
Because lately I've seen various members (new/senior members/moderators/ex-moderators) attempt to monopolize the forum with intense amount of posts, mostly useless responses that do not edify the audience, add value to a thread, nor even justify a response in the first place. I am going to start pruning these posts starting today.

Examples:

While it is a sweet thing to thank someone for sharing something, try to share a little more feedback or input. I do not intend to make this difficult on anyone (that motive does not exist), but I'm irritated by such people who do not care for quality but instead care for quantity. Its childish and very annoying.

Other examples would be...members who deliberately love to copy/paste articles, songs, poetry, devotionals for sake of building up posts. I am not fooled nor blind, these will be deleted. Please do not bother asking me what happened to your posts or post counts. Your forum post counts are not your Heavenly bank account nor your way to Salvation.

Are you here to glorify GOD and edify others or just here to watch your numbers rise? Self or selflessness?

I've seen people who honestly do not use a little effort in making their threads/posts of quality
. This makes my days difficult and burdensome. Above the text editor, there is a reminder that shows:

- do not post in all CAPS
- do not post links
- proper grammar tips

Unfortunately, people are inconsiderate and do not care. I still get pm's asking me if one can post a link (and they have not yet met the 50 posts minimum requirement). I pour my heart into this community. The least a member could do is show a little kindness and appreciation to the community. Follow the above etiquette (which is officially an article from the well known Wikipedia) and be courteous and considerate.

This is a family-friendly Christian community. Its different from your other Christian forums. Why? Briefly explained, I care for the security of the members, the quality of the threads discussed and the glorification of Jesus Christ in all we do, say, teach and feel towards each other and towards this community at whole, in respect. I expect those in their right minds and well motived hearts to feel the same to say the least.

This place is a blessing, a gift from GOD, a well kept community, a privilege not just your will to be here.

Just for clarification: Do we need to ask for permission after 50 posts
to post a link? I was a little confused. :confused:

Staff Member
yes the permission still needs to be obtained from Chad to post links even after many posts.

God bless

LLJ

I see that my posts have started to be checked by a moderator before being posted. I remember when I made some comment quite innocently I may say, a few years ago and received a three month 'ban'! What if a moderator doesn't agree with my point of view, won't my input be accepted and posted and will they tell me why? Just asking! Thanks.

I see that my posts have started to be checked by a moderator before being posted. I remember when I made some comment quite innocently I may say, a few years ago and received a three month 'ban'! What if a moderator doesn't agree with my point of view, won't my input be accepted and posted and will they tell me why? Just asking! Thanks.
@jean

Even recently I have had some of my posts signal a wait for a moderator to check them. I think there must be something that triggers this.

As to the ban, sometimes things are misunderstood especially in written form. I don't think moderators will ban you from disagreeing as long as you are not trying to push false doctrine or heresy. I think to a certain extent we are allowed to produce our point of view in a kind manner and further discussions this way. Be sure to check the "Community Guidelines" link at the bottom.

No false teaching of Scripture. We teach what the Holy Bible says only

• this site is not for preaching any religion at all. It is solely 100% about the Holy Bible and Jesus/GOD.
  • any religious promotion outside the Bible or debates against the Bible's validity will result in a warning, then account closure if continued
  • Do not gossip

1. Cite author(s) when copying / pasting articles
  2. Provide Scripture when making a biblical point

Those seem to relate to your question about whether a mod disagrees with your point of view. If your point of view is used as a pedestal to promote religion or anti-Biblical views, then I think you would have to worry about it.
It would be nice to hear from a moderator about this issue too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Member

Greetings @jean

Certain words and phrases automatically trigger the need for the post to be moderated before being posted. This is to protect the forum.

I haven't noticed any of your posts awaiting approval?

These links will explain all the rules of the forum.

http://www.talkjesus.com/press-stand/53-community-guideline.html

http://www.talkjesus.com/support/12096-forum-etiquette.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Active
Thanks Chad and mods for your efforts in making TJ the place that it is.
I had been on other christian forums prior but as you said they were debating and not really honoring God at all. I like that this site is clean and even get a sense its holy and set apart...Its safe to be a christian here.

The rules are common sense. Sorry if I am inadvertantly breaking them sometimes, i will try not to double post or make too many threads. I like that people stick to topic here, my main beef is with posters that are really rude and derail threads.