• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Did Jesus ever claim to be divine?

Active

RJ

@TallTexan89

John 1:1, 14 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God . . . 14And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth."

John 20:28-29, "Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!" 29 Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed."

Heb 1:8, "But of the Son He says, 'Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever, and the righteous scepter is the scepter of His kingdom.'"

Matthew 3:17 - At Jesus' baptism, the Father spoke from heaven saying, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Matthew 17:5 - At the Transfiguration the Father again spoke from heaven saying, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." He said this is why we should listen to Jesus. Both of these occasions were witnessed by other people, and in both cases Jesus accepted the statements without objection.

Matthew 16:13-17 - As it is today, some people in Jesus' lifetime thought that He was just a prophet. But in contrast, Peter confessed Jesus to be the Christ, the Son of the Living God. Rather than rebuking Peter, Jesus said that the Father Himself had revealed this to Peter

John 4:25; When the Samaritan woman suggested that Jesus might be the Messiah (Christ), Jesus directly acknowledged that was who He was.

John 9:35-37 - He told a blind man He had healed that He was the Son of God.

Matthew 26:63-66 - During His trial in the presence of His enemies, Jesus acknowledged that He was the Christ, the Son of God.

Jesus also allowed various people to make such claims for Him on other occasions: Matthew 14:33; John 11:27; 1:29, 34, 49; 6:69.

If a true Christian where to just stop and think, no particular scriptures involved but with the entirety of the whole Bible concering God's infinite wisdom and power, there could be no other way than Jesus also being God. Even with the multitude of scripture, even so, we are not capable of explaining it. In John, Jesus qoutes his 7 great "I Am's"; we don't need to understand it, by faith, he just is.

Ok, an old message, but I didn't see a good reply to answer the question. For Jesus to be divine, He has to be
God. In fact, Jesus is the Messiah, the Christ, which is both man and God, the God man.
To say or show that He is divine,, He would just be Himself. For example:
John 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to
thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
Jeremiah 2:12-13 Be astonished, O ye heavens, at this, and be horribly afraid, be ye very desolate, saith the LORD.
(13) For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out
cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

The Lord is the source of Living Waters and in John 4:10 Jesus says He gives Living Waters.

Another example:
Luke 8:24-25 And they came to him, and awoke him, saying, Master, master, we perish. Then he arose, and
rebuked the wind and the raging of the water: and they ceased, and there was a calm. (25) And he said unto them,
Where is your faith? And they being afraid wondered, saying one to another, What manner of man is this! for
he commandeth even the winds and water, and they obey him.

Psalms 89:8-9 O LORD God of hosts, who is a strong LORD like unto thee? or to thy faithfulness round about thee?
(9) Thou rulest the raging of the sea: when the waves thereof arise, thou stillest them.

Here we see Jesus ruling over the sea, which is something the Lord does in Ps 89:8-9

There are other examples, but you get the idea with these two. You'll need to know what the Lord does
in the OT and find where Jesus makes the same claim or does the same act.

Active

RJ

Ok, an old message, but I didn't see a good reply to answer the question. For Jesus to be divine, He has to be
God. In fact, Jesus is the Messiah, the Christ, which is both man and God, the God man.
God's mysteries can't be totally explained by man.
Can you explain exactly how God, resurrects or put's Jesus in us?
All I can say is what the Bible says to me, and the Bible says that Jesus is God!
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.