• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Can One Pray in the Spirit Without Speaking in Tongues?

Loyal
Mark 16:17; "These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues;
Acts 2:4; And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.
Acts 2:11; Cretans and Arabs—we hear them in our own tongues speaking of the mighty deeds of God."
Acts 10:46; For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter answered,
Acts 19:6; And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying.

1Cor 12:10; and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.
1Cor 12:28; And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.
1Cor 12:30; All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they?
1Cor 13:1; If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
1Cor 13:8; Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.
1Cor 14:5; Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.
1Cor 14:6; But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking in tongues, what will I profit you unless I speak to you either by way of revelation or of knowledge or of prophecy or of teaching?
1Cor 14:18; I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all;
1Cor 14:21; In the Law it is written, "BY MEN OF STRANGE TONGUES AND BY THE LIPS OF STRANGERS I WILL SPEAK TO THIS PEOPLE, AND EVEN SO THEY WILL NOT LISTEN TO ME," says the Lord.
1Cor 14:22; So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to unbelievers but to those who believe.
1Cor 14:23; Therefore if the whole church assembles together and all speak in tongues, and ungifted men or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are mad?
1Cor 14:39; Therefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak in tongues.

1Cor 14:2; For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.
1Cor 14:4; One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.
1Cor 14:9; So also you, unless you utter by the tongue speech that is clear, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air.
1Cor 14:13; Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.
1Cor 14:14; For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
1Cor 14:19; however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind so that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.
1Cor 14:26; What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.
1Cor 14:27; If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret;

Now whether speaking in tongues is required or not... can be debated.
Whether praying in the spirit is the same as speaking in tongues, can be debated.
Certainly praying in tongues is in the Bible ( 1Cor 14:14; )

But one is for sure, we have over two dozen verses above that say many in the church spoke in tongues, ( in fact it seems the majority spoke in tongues )
So then tongues are from God/The Holy Spirit. They are not from man. It seems to be a common place practice in the early church. It is still practiced in Pentecostal churches today, and you have wonder
why some churches don't practice it? It is a gift of the Holy Spirit 1Cor 12:10; does everyone have this gift? Maybe not, but apparently many did, and many still do.
The debate over whether tongues is good or bad, from God or from Satan shouldn't even exist.
Why tongues? I don't know, I've heard many possibilities. Perhaps it is a miraculous thing like healing or prophesying. Perhaps Satan can't understand what is said in a tongue.
Perhaps it is a way to reach people who would have otherwise never heard the gospel in their language, I don't know. But I do know it's from God.

Active
1Co_14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

In context, Paul does say that one should endeavor to prophecy rather than speak in tongues, but we must take it in context. Here, he is addressing the habit of some to just blurt out speaking in tongues in church, which is the prayer language; he is not addressing the gift of Tongues where a person is suddenly filled with the Spirit and it is the Spirit that is speaking in tongues through him and then interprets what was said. Some churches even today abuse their prayer language in church, and this is what Paul is teaching against.

Blessings

Active
I see that you have received a lot of answers that are not based in accurate knowledge or understanding of Scripture. From a studied point of view, according to what Paul and Jude teach, the answer to that question would be no - the terms "praying in tongues" and "praying in the Spirit" mean the exact same thing, they do NOT mean two different things.

Blessings!
Please show scripture to demonstrate how they are the same thing.
In context, Paul does say that one should endeavor to prophecy rather than speak in tongues, but we must take it in context. Here, he is addressing the habit of some to just blurt out speaking in tongues in church, which is the prayer language; he is not addressing the gift of Tongues where a person is suddenly filled with the Spirit and it is the Spirit that is speaking in tongues through him and then interprets what was said. Some churches even today abuse their prayer language in church, and this is what Paul is teaching against.

Blessings

Loyal
Q) Can One Pray in the Spirit Without Speaking in Tongues?
That's my question
Hello Admon Mikha'el,

I do not have the gift of tongues, does that mean that I cannot pray in the Spirit.?

* I am instructed to pray in the Spirit in Ephesians 6:18:- 'Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; ... ' . In this context it means to pray through the power of the Holy Spirit: Who is the source and power of all prayer.

* If we ' live' and 'walk' in the Spirit (Galatians 5:25) our prayers will be 'of' the Spirit, and 'in' and 'through' the Spirit, it requires no tongue speaking for it's performance.

'For we are the circumcision,
which worship God in the spirit,
and rejoice in Christ Jesus,
and have no confidence in the flesh.'
(Php 3:3)

* The believer has a new nature, and lives and walks in the light of the new nature, which is of the Spirit. Anything emanating from that nature is of the spirit of God, including prayer.

'Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities:
for we know not what we should pray for as we ought:
but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us
with groanings which cannot be uttered.
And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit,
because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.'
(Rom 8:26-27)

That is what I believe.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Active
Hello Admon Mikha'el,

I do not have the gift of tongues, does that mean that I cannot pray in the Spirit.?

* I am instructed to pray in the Spirit in Ephesians 6:18:- 'Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; ... ' . In this context it means to pray through the power of the Holy Spirit: Who is the source and power of all prayer.

If we ' live' and 'walk' in the Spirit (Galatians 5:25) our prayers will be 'of' the Spirit, and 'in' and 'through' the Spirit, it requires no tongue speaking for it's performance.

* The believer has a new nature, and lives and walks in the light of the new nature, which is of the Spirit. Anything emanating from that nature is of the spirit of God, including prayer.

That is what I believe.
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Now there's a good answer!!! Thank you...We agree

Loyal
Hello Admon Mikha'el,

* If we ' live' and 'walk' in the Spirit (Galatians 5:25) our prayers will be 'of' the Spirit, and 'in' and 'through' the Spirit, it requires no tongue speaking for it's performance.

That is what I believe.
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Complete, why don't say what you mean, in plain worldly english. In a Tongue that they can understand:p

Loyal
Complete, why don't say what you mean, in plain worldly english. In a Tongue that they can understand:p
Hi @PloughBoy,

Sorry! I didn't realise my wording was obscure. I suppose it could be because I am thinking on my feet as it were, and saying what comes into my mind. Perhaps it does not come across plainly as a consequence. :)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Active
Hello Admon Mikha'el,

If we ' live' and 'walk' in the Spirit (Galatians 5:25) our prayers will be 'of' the Spirit, and 'in' and 'through' the Spirit, it requires no tongue speaking for it's performance.

That is what I believe.
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Now there's a good answer!!! Thank you...We agree
I understood

Active
Please show scripture to demonstrate how they are the same thing.

1 Corinthians 14:2
For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 14:14
For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful.

1 Corinthians 14:16
Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider say "Amen" to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying?

Ephesians 6:18
praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

Jude 1:20
But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit,

It is quite obvious if you actually do a study on the subject, admon. The burden of proving that they are NOT the same thing falls upon you, because the Scripture is clear. When a person is praying in tongues, he is praying in the Spirit...unless he is a religious man who has become so accustomed to praying in the Spirit and knows the sounds that he makes when doing so, the he can regurgitate the same noises in the flesh apart from the Spirit, in which case, he is neither praying or praying in the spirit or in true tongues, but is being a hypocrite in order to seem to be something he isn't.

Blessings

Active
1 Corinthians 14:2
For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 14:14
For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful.

1 Corinthians 14:16
Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider say "Amen" to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying?

Ephesians 6:18
praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

Jude 1:20
But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit,

It is quite obvious if you actually do a study on the subject, admon. The burden of proving that they are NOT the same thing falls upon you, because the Scripture is clear. When a person is praying in tongues, he is praying in the Spirit...unless he is a religious man who has become so accustomed to praying in the Spirit and knows the sounds that he makes when doing so, the he can regurgitate the same noises in the flesh apart from the Spirit, in which case, he is neither praying or praying in the spirit or in true tongues, but is being a hypocrite in order to seem to be something he isn't.

Blessings
So then...You've given me four single verses, which are all incomplete sentences, incomplete thought that don't even speak on the subject and expect me to take that as scriptural truth? Amazing!

Loyal
The answer is no.
Acts clearly teaches us that when disciples received the indwelling Holy Spirit they spoke in tongues.
Acts also teaches us that disciples could believe and be baptized in water and yet not have the Holy Spirit - how did the apostles know?
Jesus promised that believers would also speak in tongues.
The epistles teach us that when praying in tongues this is spiritual and that our minds (and others) cannot understand what it is we are saying.
Scripture teaches us that tongues is of the Holy Spirit - God given.

My Pentecostal church correctly understands that praying in tongues is the Bible evidence of receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit. and that additionally
when the church comes together for worship then we can also operate the voice gifts of the Holy Spirit - tongues followed by interpretation, and prophecy.
All done decently and in order.

Loyal
Jude 1:17 But YE beloved, remember the words spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
18 that they said to you, In the last time mockers shall be, walking after their own ungodly lusts.
19 These are they who make separations, having only soul, not having Spirit.
20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
21 keep yourselves in God’s love, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
22 And on some have mercy, who are in doubt; and
23 save, snatching them out of fire; and on some have mercy with fear; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Romans 8:26 And in like manner the Spirit also helpeth our infirmity: for we know not how to pray as we ought; but the Spirit himself intercedeth mightily for us with groanings unutterable;
27 and who searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he intercedeth for the saints according to God.

1Corinthians 14:2 For who speaketh in a tongue speaketh not to men, but to God; for no one heareth; but in spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Active
The answer is no.
Acts clearly teaches us that when disciples received the indwelling Holy Spirit they spoke in tongues.
Acts also teaches us that disciples could believe and be baptized in water and yet not have the Holy Spirit - how did the apostles know?
Jesus promised that believers would also speak in tongues.
The epistles teach us that when praying in tongues this is spiritual and that our minds (and others) cannot understand what it is we are saying.
Scripture teaches us that tongues is of the Holy Spirit - God given.

My Pentecostal church correctly understands that praying in tongues is the Bible evidence of receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit. and that additionally
when the church comes together for worship then we can also operate the voice gifts of the Holy Spirit - tongues followed by interpretation, and prophecy.
All done decently and in order.
Actually tongues may be AN evidence but the real evidence of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit would be POWER..as in the power of the Holy Spirit.

If I was a denomination it would no doubt be Pentacostal so I'm not speaking against them, but Pentacostals seem to major on tongues.

Loyal
Actually tongues may be AN evidence but the real evidence of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit would be POWER..as in the power of the Holy Spirit.
If I was a denomination it would no doubt be Pentecostal so I'm not speaking against them, but Pentecostals seem to major on tongues.
No speaking (praying) in tongues is the Bible evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit - one sign to avoid all controversy and division.
For if there is not one sign then we end up with all the multitudes of competing doctrines that are the fruit of Rome.
Acts 2:46 And daily, continuing steadfastly with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread at home, they partook of their food with gladness and singleness of heart,

As to the POWER and purpose of the indwelling Holy Spirit that again is made manifest in Pentecostal churches.
At our worship meetings saints take turns to come up to the front and share their testimony of being converted by the power of God - their life before the infilling of the Holy Spirit and their life afterwards -
healings, miracles, transformation of character, blessings, answered prayer.

Mark 16:15 And he said to them, Go into all the world, and preach the gospel to the whole creation.
16 Who hath believed and is baptized shall be saved; but who hath disbelieved shall be condemned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that have believed: in my name shall they cast out demons, speak with tongues;
18 and in their hands they shall take up serpents, and if they drink aught deadly, it shall in now wise hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, was taken up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God.
20 And THEY went forth, and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word by the signs that followed.

Still happening today - and more so in a very big way in non-Christian countries.

Loyal
OK everybody here is my testimony recently given at our local Sunday worship meeting - yes this is Waggles himself ...
I was baptized in water on 30th October 1996 and after praying to receive the Holy Spirit (Luke 11:13) I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit on 1st December 1996