• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Can One Pray in the Spirit Without Speaking in Tongues?

Active
You are playing games because you are on the losing side. So be it.

It does not matter if a sentence begins with a conjunction or not...apparently you have some reading comprehension issues. A complete thought is a complete thought, whether it begins with "A" or "The" or "and" or any other word. We aren't in sixth grade anymore, are we?

The facts were given to you straight out of Scripture. Don't be a bias defender...be a truth seeker. "Praying in tongues" and "praying in the Spirit" are the exact same thing.

But, I won't argue with you. If you refuse to accept the facts, then it isn't me who has the problem here.

Blessings.
You are playing games because you are on the losing side. So be it.

It does not matter if a sentence begins with a conjunction or not...apparently you have some reading comprehension issues. A complete thought is a complete thought, whether it begins with "A" or "The" or "and" or any other word. We aren't in sixth grade anymore, are we?

The facts were given to you straight out of Scripture. Don't be a bias defender...be a truth seeker. "Praying in tongues" and "praying in the Spirit" are the exact same thing.

But, I won't argue with you. If you refuse to accept the facts, then it isn't me who has the problem here.

Blessings.
[/QUOTE
Maybe you should have told me that when Christians discuss the Word its a competition.... Sorry I challenged your brain there....Obviously, you, along with one or two others here, know it all, and people like me should simply shut up and learn....

Active
Maybe you should have told me that when Christians discuss the Word its a competition.... Sorry I challenged your brain there....Obviously, you, along with one or two others here, know it all, and people like me should simply shut up and learn....

Typical comeback from bias defenders. Its not a competition, but you lost the argument because you argued out of ignorance of the facts. You didn't challenge my brain at all, neither do I think I know it all - yet having learned actually HOW to study Scripture, and to pay attention to the details of Scripture...

You display the typical attitude of one who blurts out his opinions rather than actually taking the time to learn and pay attention. That isn't a put down, it is meant to get you to a place where you will start being more serious about God's Word.

Blessings.

Active
I would imagine Jesus always walked and prayed in the spirit,, is there any reason to think otherwise??

so when Jesus taught his disciples to pray was it in tongues??

if not in tongues,, was it not in spirit??

Luke 11:1-54
Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.” And he said to them, “When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread, and forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation.” And he said to them, “Which of you who has a friend will go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves,

Our imagination can sometimes be our worst enemies. There is no indication that Jesus prayed in the Spirit at all, and the fullness of what Scripture teaches us dictates against the idea. No one prayed in the Spirit/tongues until after the Day of Pentecost when the Baptism of the Spirit was first introduced into the world and the birth of the church. No one was baptized in the Spirit before that day, and there is no Scriptural evidence that any of the 11 who received the indwelling Spirit just days before the baptism ever prayed in the Spirit.

Nothing in the passage above even comes close to indicating any kind of spiritual prayer language.

Blessings!

Active
NO - that is my answer.
So when Jesus said :
Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy Name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those
who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever. Amen.

He was NOT in the Spirit ?

Active
So when Jesus said :
hallowed be thy Name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,

as we forgive those
who trespass against us.

for ever and ever. Amen.

So?

Active
So when Jesus said :
hallowed be thy Name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,

as we forgive those
who trespass against us.

for ever and ever. Amen.

Firstly, Jesus was teaching here, giving the disciples a model to build their prayers upon.
Secondly, a person is not in the Spirit JUST because he is praying. People say fleshly prayers all the time...especially those who think they are more holy than others because they pray a lot...modern day Pharisees...

Active
Firstly, Jesus was teaching here, giving the disciples a model to build their prayers upon.
Secondly, a person is not in the Spirit JUST because he is praying. People say fleshly prayers all the time...especially those who think they are more holy than others because they pray a lot...modern day Pharisees...
He was NOT in the Spirit ? He here refers to Christ . You should have known that.

People say fleshly prayers all the time...especially those who think they are more holy than others because they pray a lot...modern day Pharisees.

Like I said 'He' refers to Christ, as to this comment , People say fleshly prayers all the time...especially those who think they are more holy than others because they pray in tongues ...modern day Pharisees.

Active
He was NOT in the Spirit ? He here refers to Christ . You should have known that.

I do know that...and evidently you didn't listen to what I said. He was teaching, not actually praying. Of course Jesus was in the Spirit, He was always in the Spirit after His baptism...but, is not the conversation about a normal human being "in the Spirit" when they pray...because that is what it sounds like you are talking about.

Active

People say fleshly prayers all the time...especially those who think they are more holy than others because they pray a lot...modern day Pharisees.

Like I said 'He' refers to Christ, as to this comment , People say fleshly prayers all the time...especially those who think they are more holy than others because they pray in tongues ...modern day Pharisees.

As to your second comment...it has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. I clearly stated "People..." not Christ. Your reading comprehension is a little off tonight...

Active
I do know that...and evidently you didn't listen to what I said. He was teaching, not actually praying. Of course Jesus was in the Spirit, He was always in the Spirit after His baptism...but, is not the conversation about a normal human being "in the Spirit" when they pray...because that is what it sounds like you are talking about.
You didnt listen , I didnt ask what He was doing , I ask whether He was 'in the Spirit' . But I think you should keep answering the questions you wanted to be given its easier that way.

As to your second comment...it has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. I clearly stated "People..." not Christ. Your reading comprehension is a little off tonight...

And I referred to ' especially those who think they are more holy than others because they pray in tongues ...modern day Pharisees. "People..." not Christ.

Active
You didnt listen , I didnt ask what He was doing , I ask whether He was 'in the Spirit' . But I think you should keep answering the questions you wanted to be given its easier that way.

And I referred to ' especially those who think they are more holy than others because they pray in tongues ...modern day Pharisees. "People..." not Christ.

And again...you are not listening, either that or adding things to what people say for your own purposes. I did not say "because they pray in tongues," I said, "because they pray a lot." What is your excuse for that one?

Active
And again...you are not listening, either that or adding things to what people say for your own purposes. I did not say "because they pray in tongues," I said, "because they pray a lot." What is your excuse for that one?
LOL Duh I said ' especially those who think they are more holy than others because they pray in tongues ...modern day Pharisees. "People..." not Christ.

You always this slow ?

Active
LOL Duh I said ' especially those who think they are more holy than others because they pray in tongues ...modern day Pharisees. "People..." not Christ.

You always this slow ?

"LOL...Duh"...you always sidestep issues like this?

Have a good day...

Active
"LOL...Duh"...you always sidestep issues like this?

Have a good day...
LOl I didnt sidestep anything , you blundered and I pointed it out. that happens when you're used to running over people and you forget lots of doors swing both ways.

Face it 'tongues' is popular largely because its the easiest to fake and challenges are exceedingly rare.

Active
LOl I didnt sidestep anything , you blundered and I pointed it out. that happens when you're used to running over people and you forget lots of doors swing both ways.

Face it 'tongues' is popular largely because its the easiest to fake and challenges are exceedingly rare.

Nice try, but you basically lied on a public forum and got caught.

Aside from that, I didn't even start addressing tongues at all. By the way you address the issue, it is obvious that you don't know what you are talking about. My guess is, you not only have never spoken in tongues, but neither have you been baptized in the Spirit.

Aside from that, you really cannot prove "tongues" on a forum like this. Having said that, tongues is "popular" among certain denominations because people take it out of its place and use it as a social status within their congregations - and while that is wrong and a huge problem in the church today, tongues itself is not only Biblical, but when used in the way that God gave it to be used, it can propel a person in spiritual things.

Those who are cessationists, like the age-old false teacher calvin, are such because they have never experienced any of the spiritual gifts themselves...personally. They are too busy walking and arguing in and out of the flesh to actually meet with God face to face.

Blessings.

Active

Aside from that, I didn't even start addressing tongues at all. By the way you address the issue, it is obvious that you don't know what you are talking about. My guess is, you not only have never spoken in tongues, but neither have you been baptized in the Spirit.

Aside from that, you really cannot prove "tongues" on a forum like this. Having said that, tongues is "popular" among certain denominations because people take it out of its place and use it as a social status within their congregations - and while that is wrong and a huge problem in the church today, tongues itself is not only Biblical, but when used in the way that God gave it to be used, it can propel a person in spiritual things.

Those who are cessationists, like the age-old false teacher calvin, are such because they have never experienced any of the spiritual gifts themselves...personally. They are too busy walking and arguing in and out of the flesh to actually meet with God face to face.

Blessings.

Care to explain this falsehood ? I love gymnastics so I cant wait to see how you tumble through this whopper. I turned your Pharisee line back on you and it fits too well , and I think thats really your trouble .

Then I'll deal with your other guesses later.

Active

Excuse me, He was Jesus.
He was Holy, Perfect , Righteous and God.
He was very Human and at the same time very God.
We have no idea how this works.

How do you know He was not in the Spirit at any given time?

Last edited:
Active
That one is a little easier.

Gal 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.
Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

What walking by the Spirit isn't...

Gal 5:19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,
Gal 5:21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

What walking by the Spirit is...

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Gal 5:23 gentleness, self-control
; against such things there is no law.
Gal 5:24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Gal 5:25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.
I think if you do all ,perfectly, as in Gal 5:22, you are probably in the Spirit all the time, but (I don't know for sure) you don't necessarily talk in tongues because it is a gift.
As far as I know, even though we are BELIEVERS, we are not capable of doing all perfectly 24/7....thank God for His saving Grace!

Active

LOL In 500 years people will still be reading Calvin, no one will know or care who John Hagee or Paul Crouch were even though they spoke to literally multiplied millions more than Calvin or any Reformer.