• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

A discussion about believing you are born again

Active
Yes, that has often been my own experience but it may not always be so. The parables Jesus told could certainly be considered hypothetical. There might times when a teacher led by the Holy Ghost makes use of such as a teaching tool. Either way to properly receive and understand what another is teaching to telling us also requires the Holy Ghost working in us, as I see it.
You are right about the use of "hypotheticals" being used for good as well as for evil purposes.
But if "we" are teaching on behalf of Christ to gain victory over sin or any unrighteousness, and one uses a "hypothetical" to fight back, we know they are not of God.
They fight on behalf of satan.

Quick short answer there with regard to the being led by the Holy Ghost. While I agree I must say that some people make me wonder by the direction they take what spirit it is they are following. Of course many people who claim to be born again are probably not and goodly number of them likely don't realize that they are not. This could where we find some people walking in delusions.
Why would you wonder?
We can judge by the fruit of which "tree" they are born from.
After ascertaining they are not of God, we can start to bring them to the table of freedom in Christ.
It would not be a good thing to allow them to think they are doing OK when they are not.

Hmmm! Ok, but that has not been my own understanding of the verse I quoted. What I have understood is that when a person is in the Spirit then he speaks God's truth as it is written in his heart. When he is not in the Spirit, that is he is quenching the Holy Spirit in him, then it is something else other than God's Word coming out of His mouth. This to me is the double mindedness that must be avoided and done away with in believers. If the person is not already there and he continues on that double minded road he will eventually end up in the lukewarmness which John writes God will spit out of His mouth.
Men cannot vary from which "tree" they are born of.
"A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump."
They aren't quenching a Spirit: they never had God's Spirit to begin with.

The example of double mindedness I have noted at times in person starts with a wonderful attitude while in a good church service followed by a condemnation and possibly even cussing only a few minutes later while driving home when cut off by a person without the legal right-of-way.
That is indeed double-mindedness.
But the real spirit they are of comes out when they are not faking their birth-rite.

While we should always hope the best of even supposed brethren, and continue to pray for them even after their self-condemning behavior, to think for a moment that a sinner has anything to do with God is a terrible mistake.
But don't give up hope for them.

New person coming in here. Probably nuts to get into this debate.

I have been taught my whole life that as long as we are on this Earth we will continue to sin.

Active

I have been taught my whole life that as long as we are on this Earth we will continue to sin.
Welcome to the group.
Did your teachers think that rebirth would leave us in the same cesspool we were so desperate to get out of?
Rebirth requires the death of the old man of sin.
There can only be one of you on earth. Not an old sinful you along with the child of God you.
With the old man crucified with Christ, and the new man raised with Christ to walk in newness of life, (Rom 6:3-6), we can now manifest the new Godly seed from which we have been reborn. (1 John 3:8-10)
We don't have to keep committing sin.

Loyal

No matter who it was that told you that, you should closely consider what is written in scripture, what Jesus said:

"Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth." Mark 9:23

If we cannot believe that we cannot stop sinning, then certainly we cannot, but when the man to whom Jesus was speaking admitted his unbelief and asked for help, Jesus did help him. Why would Jesus not help you in the same situation?

Loyal
Gen 6:9; These are the records of the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his time; Noah walked with God.

Gen 17:1; Now when Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him,
“I am God Almighty; Walk before Me, and be blameless.

2 Chron 15:17; But the high places were not removed from Israel; nevertheless Asa’s heart was blameless all his days.

Job 1:1; There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job; and that man was blameless, upright, fearing God and turning away from evil.
(Also Job 1:8; Job 2:3; )

Luke 1:5; In the days of Herod, king of Judea, there was a priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abijah; and he had a wife from the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth.
Luke 1:6; They were both righteous in the sight of God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and requirements of the Lord.

So you have been taught that a human can actually stop sinning?

Have you been taught we can't be? Where does it say this in the Bible?

Heb 11:5; By faith Enoch was taken up so that he would not see death; and he was not found because God took him up; for he obtained the witness that before his being taken up he was perfect before God.

Matt 5:20 “For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven

Matt 19:18; Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness;
Matt 19:19; Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
Matt 19:20; The young man *said to Him, “All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?”

Active
So you have been taught that a human can actually stop sinning? And have you done that?
Yes, and yes.
God has given us the gift of repentance from sin, ie...turn from, or, change.
He has given us water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ to wash away all our past sins, (Acts 2:38), but Romans 6:3-6 show that baptism into Christ's death also affords us a way to kill the old man and be reborn-resurrected from the grave with Christ.
A non-sinner with a Spiritual walk instead of a fleshly walk-disposition is the end result.

• It is not my logic, it is the Bible.
  • Maybe God does, I have no credentials to say what God does or what he does not do.
  • If you are saying, that I am saying that God makes you believe...you are wrong.
  • What I am saying is that humans don't make belief, God does....whether you accept it is up to you!
  • Revelation 3:20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
  • The key here is if anyone hears and opens
I don't actually remember replying in this thread, but I did, and I don't even recognize the comment I made. Alot has changed for me in the last month, my perspective about people is changing drastically. I've also found more methods to deal with the reality of faulty people , and my own faultiness.

I've noticed that what I think about people isn't usually going on, such as painting them into a canvas of wickedness doesn't jell. I work in hospitality atm and I meet hundreds of people, or at least observe them. Some a down right dysfunctional and horrid, but most of them are so kind and thoughtful.

I'm always surprised by how many people just want to share their thoughts and feelings, as if they're not afraid to show their inner child. And here's another thing, I keep running into people who really see their own issues and their open about it. So many are doing things to change themselves, without some faith or prompting.

Active
I don't actually remember replying in this thread, but I did, and I don't even recognize the comment I made. Alot has changed for me in the last month, my perspective about people is changing drastically. I've also found more methods to deal with the reality of faulty people , and my own faultiness.

I've noticed that what I think about people isn't usually going on, such as painting them into a canvas of wickedness doesn't jell. I work in hospitality atm and I meet hundreds of people, or at least observe them. Some a down right dysfunctional and horrid, but most of them are so kind and thoughtful.

I'm always surprised by how many people just want to share their thoughts and feelings, as if they're not afraid to show their inner child. And here's another thing, I keep running into people who really see their own issues and their open about it. So many are doing things to change themselves, without some faith or prompting.
Sorry, I have no clue as to what you are talking about!

Active
See! You can't remember, I forgot to remember, so here we are, not knowing what the other person is saying, so we'll have to leave it at that, till we talk again.
Not at all true. I believe in the one true God and you don't......has my memory returned?

Loyal
So you have been taught that a human can actually stop sinning? And have you done that?
I have been taught that by the Holy Spirit bringing to Life to scripture in my heart that we, that is human beings, can stop sinning.

Your second question relates to whether or not I have completely overcome the world of temptation. At this moment the answer is, "yes", but if I follow the wrong spirit or quench the Holy Spirit in me then the answer would be, "no". Once we get to where we can answer your second question with a ,"yes", we never want to have to change that answer. If we lean heavily on God and ask Him for help we will never have to...

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Prov 3:5-6

Well, good for you, I guess. Personally, I can't imagine never having a sinful thought, or never doing anything I shouldn't do on any given day. I also can't imagine a day in which I do everything God would want me to do.

Active
Well, good for you, I guess. Personally, I can't imagine never having a sinful thought, or never doing anything I shouldn't do on any given day. I also can't imagine a day in which I do everything God would want me to do.
Can you imagine a day wherein you hurt one of your horses?
A day where you don't provide a vet's care if the horse is injured?
Or a day where you refuse to feed them "just because".
No?

Do you love horses more than your "neighbor"?
If you can see yourself doing all you can for the horses, what is limiting you from doing all you can to show your love for God?

Active
Not sure why you keep going on about horses. First of all, I don't even have any. Are you saying that you always do everything possible for God every day?
I guess I took your user name seriously.
And yes,I do everything possible for God every day.
You see, I am not a sinner anymore.
God granted us the gift of repentance from evil works.
He granted us the gift of the Holy Ghost too, as our guide and Comforter.
He granted us preachers and teachers and brothers to fellowship with.
He hears the prayers of the righteous, and we can take those prayers right to the throne of God.
He will not leave us nor forsake us.
It is written..."There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Cor 10:13)
No man will be tempted with anything he is incapable of rejecting.