• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Why do English speaking Christians wrongly use the Hebrew name of Jesus?

I find it irritating as an English speaking Christian that other Christians have begun to insist we use the Hebrew name of the Lord Jesus
Such as Yahshua or Yahoah or some other concocted title? This is the Hebrew name of Jesus ישוע

It is impossible to translate a name from Hebrew to English! Hebrew has zero vowels. Why stop with Jesus what not also use the Hebrew names of the Apostles also

Jesus has been Good enough for hundreds of years. In English, the name of Jesus is Jesus not some made up concocted Hebrew title

Such as
Matthew and John

Matthew and John are very popular names today – just as they were 2000 years ago. Matthew in Hebrew is Matityahu (מַתִּתְיָהוּ). Matityahu means "God's gift": Matat (מַתָּת) means gift and Yahu ((יְהוֹ) is a form of YHWH (יְהוָה), God's sacred name. John in Hebrew is Yochanan (יוֹחָנָן) which means "God endowed" or "God graced": Yo (יוֹ) is an abbreviated form of God's name, and Chanan (חָנָן) means endowed, or graced.

Loyal
I find it irritating as an English speaking Christian that other Christians have begun to insist we use the Hebrew name of the Lord Jesus
Such as Yahshua or Yahoah or some other concocted title? This is the Hebrew name of Jesus ישוע

I agree. It was God Himself who made us all speak different languages.

Gen 11:6; The LORD said, "Behold, they are one people, and they all have the same language. And this is what they began to do, and now nothing which they purpose to do will be impossible for them.
Gen 11:7; "Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another's speech."
Gen 11:8; So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of the whole earth; and they stopped building the city.
Gen 11:9; Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of the whole earth; and from there the LORD scattered them abroad over the face of the whole earth.

So why pick out specific words and names? Why don't we all just learn Hebrew and Greek and then we don't have to worry about which Bible translation to use.
(Nothing wrong with this, I myself have learned a few words). But the point here is, why would God give us different languages if He didn't intend for us to use them?

Amen. Lack of education maybe. Even if they are Hebrew they should use the English version when speaking IN English. Otherwise no one has a clue who they are referring to unless you are Hebrew. Same with Spanish etc.

Loyal
God created different languages in the 1st place because 'we' would not obey Him and spread out in the world. Plenty of space for Everyone, but , no, they Had to do their own thing by staying in a large group. so God created various languages. People were Forced to spread out and find those who they could Also understand. And, over time, people have discovered how to translate from one language to another.

Way back in time -- Greek and Hebrew and some Aramaic Were spoken. But over time - language comes and goes. All those various language develop more and less. The Kings' English that the KJV was written in is different than what is spoken Nowdays.

No one should be Insisting on anyone using the Hebrew name of the Lord Jesus.

The Bible was translated From the original language To Latin and then To all the various languages spoken these days. that's how the Gospel unto salvation Gets to all the various people / language groups in the world.

People will find most anything to 'fuss' about these days.

Just don't use the name of the Lord God in 'vain' -- speak about Him reverently. After all -- 'we' Do have our salvation made possible Through / By Him.

Administrator
Staff Member

Why do you care about what they insist? Stay focused on God's grace the leadership of the Holy Spirit, not men or their man-made traditions.

I personally find it silly that some spell God like "G-D" as if it affects salvation or God's grace. But, to each their own.

Loyal
It's because those who Are so focused on using the Hebrew name / use "G-d" / are seeing Their usage as the only Correct usage. They feel they are honoring God much more than the rest of us. Apparently there is a 'movement' of getting back To the original languages because they hold more exact meanings of Scripture. Those people simply do not understand the process of translating from one language to another. God used Greek and Hebrew / Aramaic back then because that's the language that was Spoken back then. He was speaking to the people of That time And His Word is Also timeless. It's alive and powerful no matter What language is being used.

It's Almost like those who won't read anything except the King James Version of the Bible. There are those who believe that if a person is led to Christ using any Other version that they aren't truly saved. And there are those who feel that when they Do use the KJV that they have license to use any verse in or out of context and it's okay. Simply because it's THE KJV and that God will bless the use of any verse in the Bible no matter What the intended context is. And God Does bless His Word because it Is His Word. But it still needs to be understood within the context in which it's been written.

It's the impact that God's Word makes on your Heart that matters. And that, no doubt, is Why God's Word has always been so controvercial -- because It Does convict and guide. We tend to Not like the convicting part and Want to do our own thing.

Administrator
Staff Member
It's because those who Are so focused on using the Hebrew name / use "G-d" / are seeing Their usage as the only Correct usage. They feel they are honoring God much more than the rest of us. Apparently there is a 'movement' of getting back To the original languages because they hold more exact meanings of Scripture. Those people simply do not understand the process of translating from one language to another. God used Greek and Hebrew / Aramaic back then because that's the language that was Spoken back then. He was speaking to the people of That time And His Word is Also timeless. It's alive and powerful no matter What language is being used.

Yes. When the Jews spell out "G-D", it reminds me of the religious hypocrites in the Bible, like the Pharisees and Sadducees. Man-made stuff that has more detrimental effect on your relationship with God than it does "respect" as they think it is.

Losing focus of this passage, I'd think.

Matthew 22:36-40

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Yes. When the Jews spell out "G-D", it reminds me of the religious hypocrites in the Bible, like the Pharisees and Sadducees. Man-made stuff that has more detrimental effect on your relationship with God than it does "respect" as they think it is.

Losing focus of this passage, I'd think.

Matthew 22:36-40

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

How do I increase the size of the fonts or colour of them?

Why G-D that makes no sense? Why not Almighty God what is wrong with that? And why not Jesus because we are English speakers writes and readers? I really do not like this modern day use of Hebrew titles invading Christian dialogue. In Hebrew the name of Jesus is
ישו

Staff Member
@Alan McDougall

As long as you know what they mean, and hopefully they know who you are talking about. It shouldn't make the difference they believe it does. If they insist on it, then do as you have done here and show them how ludicrous it is to do so. However, don't you be so bothered about it. :)

Personally I've mostly use Jesus, and have even used Yeshua Hamashiach as well. Especially if it helps the other person feel more comfortable in the discussion. Ultimately its something else that is on their mind, for which are seeking clarity/understanding of. So, my focusing on our Lords name, would prevent me from getting to what is truly happening with them. Why get bogged down on this, when you don't have to? If they do. Then just don't take the bait and move on.

With the love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal

It is impossible to translate a name from Hebrew to English! Hebrew has zero vowels. Why stop with Jesus what not also use the Hebrew names of the Apostles also

Jesus has been Good enough for hundreds of years. In English, the name of Jesus is Jesus not some made up concocted Hebrew title

Such as
Matthew and John

Matthew and John are very popular names today – just as they were 2000 years ago. Matthew in Hebrew is Matityahu (מַתִּתְיָהוּ). Matityahu means "God's gift": Matat (מַתָּת) means gift and Yahu ((יְהוֹ) is a form of YHWH (יְהוָה), God's sacred name. John in Hebrew is Yochanan (יוֹחָנָן) which means "God endowed" or "God graced": Yo (יוֹ) is an abbreviated form of God's name, and Chanan (חָנָן) means endowed, or graced.
You do know that the Jews use the name 'Yeshua"? It means 'Deliverer' Jesus IS our deliverer.

Can you show, in the Bible where Jesus spoke English? He spoke Aramaic which is a dialect of Hebrew....He is mashiach Haven't you noticed that all the names of God are facets of His personality? And where is it wrong to call Jesus by His characteristics?

Like the name of the Father "I AM" Is one of His characteristics.....And we are His children....I am's too.

Such as

Matthew and John

I dunno about anyone else, But I refer to Jesus as Yeshua most of the time out of respect. It may not be the correct spelling, but the way it's pronounced is spelled out at least phonetically (if that makes sense). The name 'Jesus' is a Greek transliteration of the Hebrew name, and the letter 'J' didn't even exist back then, so if I'm gonna call Him anything, His real Name is what it should be. I see many Spanish people named Jesus, and although it's pronounced differently, It's spelled the same. The Bible tells us to keep His Name holy, one of the opposites of holy is common, and I don't know anyone named Yeshua. I'm not one of those 'sacred names' people and I call Him Jesus sometimes, too, but I prefer to call Him Yeshua because that's His original name.

Loyal

Such as

Matthew and John

It doesn't really matter. Jesus will have a new name as he says in Revelation 3:12. Like a snake shedding his old skin.

11 I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown. 12 The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name. 13 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

Loyal
It doesn't really matter. Jesus will have a new name as he says in Revelation 3:12. Like a snake shedding his old skin.

11 I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown. 12 The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name. 13 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
Rev 3:12 is not about Jesus, its about YOU Don't take the verse all by itself....Keep the context

Active

Such as

Matthew and John

I think what matters to GOD is how we keep our personal relationship with Him as His child until the end and How we spread His love to everyone who still doesnt know Him.
Sometimes we must be vigilant also because the enemy is trying his best in business of dis uniting every believer by using anything ( but i am not disregarding the idea that this forum is all about discussing and knowing more about God )

It’s just we must be careful, sometimes the best way to evangelized others is just by showing them and not just the knowledge that we have about GOD.

Godbless :)

He is the Great I AM. He just IS and names should not make a difference, they are labels. When we say "there is power in the name of Jesus" perhaps what we are saying is, there is power in the blood of Jesus, if our heart is calling on the Great I Am , He KNOWS where our heart is and in him hearing us and what he has done for us is where the power is. In his blood. Names surely don't matter. I call him Jesus and Yeshua during prayer, i pray in Aramaic when alone simply because it is my way of honouring him. I learnt the Lord's Prayer in Hebrew and Aramaic just for Jesus/Yeshua. A friend of mine jokingly said if I pray in Aramaic, at last now Jesus will understand what I'm saying!

Loyal
Yes, that's where the real power Is - in the blood of Christ. The Holy Spirit indwelling each believer.

Actually Both are important -- sometimes our lives are the 1st Bible a person sees. So, what are they observing?! -- and then , hopefully, they will be asking Why we 'act the way we do' and we can share Christ with them. And we need to know God's Word to be able to share with them and be continually be growing , ourselves.

Active
Yes, that's where the real power Is - in the blood of Christ. The Holy Spirit indwelling each believer.

Actually Both are important -- sometimes our lives are the 1st Bible a person sees. So, what are they observing?! -- and then , hopefully, they will be asking Why we 'act the way we do' and we can share Christ with them. And we need to know God's Word to be able to share with them and be continually be growing , ourselves.

That’s true..

He is the Great I AM. He just IS and names should not make a difference, they are labels. When we say "there is power in the name of Jesus" perhaps what we are saying is, there is power in the blood of Jesus, if our heart is calling on the Great I Am , He KNOWS where our heart is and in him hearing us and what he has done for us is where the power is. In his blood. Names surely don't matter. I call him Jesus and Yeshua during prayer, i pray in Aramaic when alone simply because it is my way of honouring him. I learnt the Lord's Prayer in Hebrew and Aramaic just for Jesus/Yeshua. A friend of mine jokingly said if I pray in Aramaic, at last now Jesus will understand what I'm saying!
The Bible says His name is holy, and it also says that His name is above all names. One of the 10 commandments is to not use His name in vain. We cast demons out in His name, and we heal people in His name. His name is important.

I believe, and I may be wrong, that it's the 'meaning' of the name, who he is, that is important. We could say, Yeshua, Yesu, Jesus, Emmanuel, Joshua, ..they are sounds, language, the importance is in the intention in the heart when his name's are spoken. His name is indeed Holy, so holy that the Jewish believers dare not even speak it we know this but. which translation of his name holds power and is above all names? Because there are so many translations, the power comes from wHO we say he is. He is the Christ, Son of the living God.
If i was a manager at my job, my name would be ranked above the workers under me, whether they called me Ms manager, or Mel, Melissa or Melly, people would still know the name or variation referred to the manager, and there would be power in those names, so God's name, Holy, powerful and above all others...A resounding YES, but which one we use isn't the prime importance. It's what is in our heart and intention.