• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community.

Join over 10,000 members today

Register Log In

• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to or from Light / Night mode simply click on Site Menu icon on top and on the dropdown choose "Switch to Night Mode" or "Switch to Light Mode"

Thank you.

Why do English speaking Christians wrongly use the Hebrew name of Jesus?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:8)

I find it irritating as an English speaking Christian that other Christians have begun to insist we use the Hebrew name of the Lord Jesus
Such as Yahshua or Yahoah or some other concocted title? This is the Hebrew name of Jesus ישוע

It is impossible to translate a name from Hebrew to English! Hebrew has zero vowels. Why stop with Jesus what not also use the Hebrew names of the Apostles also

Jesus has been Good enough for hundreds of years. In English, the name of Jesus is Jesus not some made up concocted Hebrew title

Such as
Matthew and John

Matthew and John are very popular names today – just as they were 2000 years ago. Matthew in Hebrew is Matityahu (מַתִּתְיָהוּ). Matityahu means "God's gift": Matat (מַתָּת) means gift and Yahu ((יְהוֹ) is a form of YHWH (יְהוָה), God's sacred name. John in Hebrew is Yochanan (יוֹחָנָן) which means "God endowed" or "God graced": Yo (יוֹ) is an abbreviated form of God's name, and Chanan (חָנָן) means endowed, or graced.

Loyal Member
I find it irritating as an English speaking Christian that other Christians have begun to insist we use the Hebrew name of the Lord Jesus
Such as Yahshua or Yahoah or some other concocted title? This is the Hebrew name of Jesus ישוע
I agree. It was God Himself who made us all speak different languages.

Gen 11:6; The LORD said, "Behold, they are one people, and they all have the same language. And this is what they began to do, and now nothing which they purpose to do will be impossible for them.
Gen 11:7; "Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another's speech."
Gen 11:8; So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of the whole earth; and they stopped building the city.
Gen 11:9; Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of the whole earth; and from there the LORD scattered them abroad over the face of the whole earth.

So why pick out specific words and names? Why don't we all just learn Hebrew and Greek and then we don't have to worry about which Bible translation to use.
(Nothing wrong with this, I myself have learned a few words). But the point here is, why would God give us different languages if He didn't intend for us to use them?