• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

When it keeps happening...

I've always admired people who get saved and immediately turn their lives around, expecially those who have been under the control of addictions.

But hypothetically, if I was a drug addict, I became saved yet could not find the strength to go cold turkey straight away and continued to feed my habit albeit on a smaller scale with the truly heartfelt intention to do my best to kick the habit, do you think I'm angering God? Would I be a 'bad' Christian and be failing Him?

Well that is something then between you and God. Is God calling you to stop right now and are you not listening. Also are you praying for the strength? See none of us are perfect and to say so is a lie. We all fall short. We just need to stay focused and also to stay in God's will. Joyfully ~ Jlu

Maven said:
I've always admired people who get saved and immediately turn their lives around, expecially those who have been under the control of addictions.

But hypothetically, if I was a drug addict, I became saved yet could not find the strength to go cold turkey straight away and continued to feed my habit albeit on a smaller scale with the truly heartfelt intention to do my best to kick the habit, do you think I'm angering God? Would I be a 'bad' Christian and be failing Him?

I agree with Jesuslovesu :shade: I just like to add...if the lord wants you to quit something he will show you. Then if you don't listen he will chastise you till you do. Some men receive more of this for their disobedience than others, but it is the way God deals with his children. Just like an earthly father corrects his own children: so will the lord do likewise, if we are disobedient to him.

So the moral of the story is, better to do it on your own, than have God do it for you, But this is only if you refuse to stop doing what your doing (rebel). Some get complete deliverance from God some don't. Trust me on this, I know what its like...

Heb 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
Heb 12:5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
Heb 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
Heb 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
Heb 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
Heb 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected [us], and we gave [them] reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
Heb 12:10 For they verily for a few days chastened [us] after their own pleasure; but he for [our] profit, that [we] might be partakers of his holiness.
Heb 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

hypothetically speaking? I see: lol, sorry brother...but yes this would still apply

God bless

Last edited:
I appreciate all your words - I don't have an addiction per se, it's just something I used to do before being saved (just about all my life really) is becoming very hard to shake. I'd love to be the type of Christian who just changes instantly but it seems like I don't yet have the strength.

additional

yeah i just gotta say i agree with JesusLovesu

i mean sure enough when i turned my lief to God i was swearign and i basically stopped that Cold Turkey with help from frends.. LOl so i do not think that God will be Angry at you for givving it all your best but you shoudl be sure your givign it up though...

Love Simon!!!

oh yeah and i will also Pray for you too... LOL Thx for the rememberance ( SOG )

Love Simon

We are here for you Maven and so is God.

We are here for you Maven and so is God. You are not alone.

Maven said:

Jesuslovesu said:
Well that is something then between you and God. Is God calling you to stop right now and are you not listening. Also are you praying for the strength? See none of us are perfect and to say so is a lie. We all fall short. We just need to stay focused and also to stay in God's will. Joyfully ~ Jlu

Amen! I agree. . .

Whenever I wanted to accept Jesus in my life. . .I was still smoking!

And guess what. . .I loved smoking!!!

And guess what else. . .I wasnt gonna give it up just cause I wanted to become a christian. . .

So I asked that Lady who was gonna pray with me. . .well. . .
can I still become a christian. .. i dont wanna quit smokin right away. . .because I like it (lol)
And she said:

Well if you want to quit Jesus will help you :love:

What a blessed . . .lead by the spirit lady. . .who knows. . .if she would have answered different. . . i might have not become a christian that day. . .

I told God afterwards. . .well . ..its gonna be on your trick to show me that I wanna quit for you :love:

6 month later I was pregnant LOL

I quit and never started again :love:

Thats now 9 years on the non-smoker account :thumbs_up

Praise God, He is just WOW :shade:

Administrator
Staff Member
Cool testimony peeps :)

Brother Maven, GOD will not be "angered" in a wrathful sense - but 100% positevely not happy that you are continuing the addiction. He loves you and would / will help you if you ask Him to in Jesus' name.

It is true that you will anger GOD (like everyone said) if He has been telling you to stop and you refuse to stop

Wow

Well Peeps my dear mum not to Bragg but i am on 17 years non smoking Account... he he he!!! i'm Winning.. LOL JK..

but can i ask you a question?? what is it like though? smokign i mean??

Love Simon!!!

An addiction is not something that GOD has given you, you have taken it upon yourself. HE can/will help you, but it has to be your choice. Remember that when you became a Christian, the presence of the HOLY SPIRIT moved inside you; when you participate in drugs, drinking, and/or smoking, you are causing HIM to participate in something that is against HIS nature/character. You are grieving HIM and causing damage to HIS temple(your body) as well. James 4:17. "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." Willful sin on our part, robs us of our joy and strength. Christians still have two natures, the flesh and the spiritual, so whichever we "feed" the most will be the one that rules in our lives...too much given to the flesh does take our strength away, even to the point of destruction.
Feeding the spiritual (our inner man) with the word of GOD and things of GOD brings about a supernatural strength that only GOD can give. HE waits on us to make the right choices to allow HIM to be [the] GOD in/of every situation. 1 Peter 5:7 , "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." Casting is like discarding our garbage/trash, we do not, ordinarily, go back to the dump to rummage through it...it is gone and forgotten. May GOD help you get your priorities sorted out.

Last edited:
Over the years i have seen people battle through addictions and temptations that they felt they couldnt give up but the day they got saved i watched God deliver them rate there and then and they no longer had that desire to do what they were doing before.
Now i know thats not something that happens to everyone when they get saved some people have to battle abit more then others but i believe that if its what you want then it wont be long before you get your deliverence