• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

What's the meaning of the "Triune God"?
Holy father, Holy son and the Holy spirits? Are there three Gods?
Please solve this question:( I really don't understand..

Active
Good morning Jennifer;

There is no easy answer to your query in the sense that we only have a book without pictures, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit to describe the nature of God. The Bible does not give a single, detailed description of the physical God other than to describe him as a spirit. Some have used an egg or a hydrogen atom as a simple analogy to relate the three. There is a relationship of parts or personas which yield a sum of one. It's been said that the origin of the Trinity began in 144 AD, and formalized at Niocea in 325. In the 3rd century, Sabellius taught that God was numerically one with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit being modes or roles; they don't actually exist on their own and are made up for our benefit. Oneness Pentecostalism teaches this with the modification that all three modes or offices can exist at the same time. Basically the same as the Trinity.

Scripture describes God as a spirit. Scripture describes Jesus as the Word which became the Son of God. Jesus told his disciples that he would send a another, the Holy Spirit. If all are God, it gets a bit complicated. I've never met anyone who has said there are three gods in Christianity. John 1:1-14 describe the Word of God becoming human. Isaiah 9:6 describes a child being born who will be known as the mighty God.

Either philosophy makes sense, but also has seeming conflicts with other parts of Scripture overall. I don't have a simple answer and I certainly wish I did. Even if the Trinity isn't perfect, it best describes overall what Scripture describes as a relationship that exists in unity and harmony in thought, purpose, and deed.

Cheers,
John

Active
There are many direct references in the Bible proving God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three distinct, co-existing divine Persons who are in total unity with each other. Unity is precious to God.

The Father spoke from Heaven over Jesus while being baptized in the river. Jesus avoided pointing to himself as divine, but directed men to the Father in Heaven as the one to worship, the one Jesus obeyed. Jesus told the disciples he would rise from the dead, ascend to heaven, then send the Holy Spirit back in his place. Jesus didn't rescue himself from death, but God raised him from the dead. So there must be at least two Persons living simultaneously. Throughout NT scriptures we find three being one God.

I think of it this way, though my example is very poor. Three brothers sit around a table, being interrogated. To one is asked "Which is your brother?". He points to the other two. "So then to each of you, who is your brother?"
Each man points to the other two. "OK, then if you are equal in relationship, how do you make final decisions, each having your own identity?" Two point to the eldest.

So who is God? Jesus points to the Father and the Spirit. The Spirit points to the Son and Father. The Father points to the Son and Spirit. All three point to each other. The Father leads. He is the one to pray to, to worship, to listen for. The Father remains in Heaven, but sent Jesus his Son, took him back, then sent the Holy Spirit.

Loyal
Actually no one can understand this without God's help. People will say they have scriptures which prove the Trinity, but it is proof only to a person so led by the Holy Spirit. Don't be discouraged by a lack of understanding. We do live for God by faith in and toward Him rather than by knowledge of Him.

As we walk with God, He will give of knowledge of many things, but real and necessary knowledge of God and of the things of God is not transferrable to another person without God's help and by the other person's open heart.

The scripture says:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

If we are able to follow the two directions in that verse (seeking the kingdom and the righteousness of God) and there is a Trinity and understanding of it is needed, will God not give it to us?

Loyal

Jennifer, God the Father is invisible as he is a Spirit, and no one has ever seen him alone by himself except Jesus Christ who dwells with in his bosom.

Joh 6:46 not that anyone has seen the Father except he who is from God; he has seen the Father.

1Jn 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

No man has ever seen the Holy Spirit either as he also is a Spirit.

Joh 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Now Jesus Christ the Word of God is a different story. Jesus is the exact expressed "image" of God.(Heb 1:3) He is the visible representation of the "invisible" God.(Col 1:15)

God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Two are invisible, and one is not. Inside Jesus Christ lives and dwells all the fullness of the Godhead "Bodily". (Col 2:9) Does God have a body? He sure does, and that is his Word which became flesh. The Word of God that became flesh is God's body!!!!

Since we are created in the image of God we also are triune beings. We have a spirit, soul, and body just like God. Our spirit is invisible, and so is our soul, but our body can be seen. Dwelling within you is your spirit, and soul. Jesus no longer has a "fleshly" body, but a "supernatural" body in which we will also have one day. Jesus can not be seen with physical eyes, but can be clearly seen with the eyes of our new recreated heart. When you see Jesus you see the exact representation of the invisible God all contained with within his own body.

When I started believe in God, I asked this question so many times, "what is 'Trinity'?", "what's that mean?"
I found the answer now! Thank God. I must share to you guys:)

The saying of the “triune God” was established in the Council of Nicaea in AD 300s. At that time, the religionists from different countries argued fiercely about God’s unicity and multiplicity. Eventually, according to man’s notion, imagination, reasoning and logic, the saying of the “triune God” was established. From then on, people thought that there is God the Father in Heaven except the Lord Jesus.

First we should know cleanly that such a saying was not spoken by God. The prophets and apostles didn’t say that, much less did the Holy Spirit ever reveal that. If there were such a saying, it must have been recorded in the Bible. It was completely concluded by corrupt mankind. Therefore, such a saying of the “Triune God” was from man’s mouth and was completely man’s will.

We can search the Bible. In the Old Testament Age of the Law, there wasn’t such a saying of the “trinity” at all. Only after the Lord Jesus was incarnated and came to the earth did the saying of “Father and Son” come into being.

It is recorded in John, Philip didn’t know God. He thought that the Lord Jesus had a God the Father in heaven. So he said to the Lord Jesus, “ Lord, show us the Father…” The Lord Jesus corrected his mistake. The Lord said, “he that has seen me has seen the Father…” The Lord also said, “I am in the Father, and the Father in me …” The Father is the Son and the Son is the Father, “Father and Son” are one and are one Spirit. The Lord Jesus clearly tells us that he and the Father are one.

Someone said that the Father and the Son. They are one being, but their Persons are different. Didn’t Jesus call the God in heaven Father in his prayers?

God’s word explains it very clearly. At that time when Jesus prayed, he called God’s Spirit in heaven Father in the position of a created being, that is, a man. But it doesn’t prove that Jesus is the Son of God’s Spirit in heaven. Before the Lord Jesus went to the cross, he was only the Son of man and the Christ, but was not a glorious body. So, the Lord Jesus called the God in heaven Father in the position of a created being, that is the flesh called the Spirit Father. It shows the Lord Jesus’ humbleness and obedience.

We can see that, there is only one God. When God is incarnated, he has the substance of divinity. After the flesh finishes his work and returns to the spiritual realm, he has God’s original identity. Jesus incarnate is the flesh God’s Spirit is realized in, and his substance is still Spirit. So, there is only God. Just because God is incarnated, there such a saying of “Father” and “Son”. However, it only means that the incarnated God calls the Father in the position of a created being. Anyhow, the saying of “Father and Son” is only applicable to the years when Jesus was incarnated. After Jesus left, there no longer such a saying of “Father and Son.” Therefore, we shouldn’t regard God as a “Triune God” because of the saying of “Father and Son.” This is untenable.
God has never said that he is triune. When Jesus said, “ baptizing then in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost,” it means that people could be baptized in the name of the Father, in the name of the Holy Spirit, or in the name of the Son. At that time, many people had grave doubts about Jesus. If they had been certain that Jesus was the incarnated God, they could have been baptized in Jesus’ name. This is because Jesus is the Father, and the Father and the Son are one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyal
To deny the deity of Jesus, is a cult teaching.
Jesus is not a created being. Jesus didn't become God after He died on the cross.
Jesus was God before creation even existed.

Who created the heavens and the earth? ( Gen 1:1; )
Is this the same God is Col 1:16; and John 1:3; is this the Father? or Jesus?

Loyal
God told Moses.... "I AM". Exod 3:14;
Jesus said before Abraham was born ... "I am". Abraham was alive about 3,500 years before Jesus was on the earth.

Jesus' very name means "God with us". ( Matt 1:23; )
Not just the Spirit of God, or God-like, or almost God... .. but actually "God" with us.

All fullness of Deity dwells within Jesus ( Col 2:9; )

Loyal
In Gen 1:26; God said "Let us make man in Our image". Who is "Our"?
In Gen 3:22; God says "Behold the man has become like one of Us". Who is "Us"?

Isa 9:6; For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us;
And the government will rest on His shoulders;
And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

Who was this son born to the world? Why is He called mighty God?

John 1:1; In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:2; He was in the beginning with God.
John 1:3; All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.
John 1:4; In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.

Who was this "Word". How can the Word be God and be with God? But yet He was God and He was with God.

John 1:14; And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Who was the Word that became flesh? The same Word that was with God... and was God.

Loyal
Isa 7:14; Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel.
Isa 7:15; He will eat curds and honey at the time He knows enough to refuse evil and choose good.
Isa 7:16;16 For before the boy will know enough to refuse evil and choose good, the land whose two kings you dread will be forsaken.

Who was this child... born of a virgin. How can a virgin have a child? Was Joseph Jesus' biological father... or was it
someone else? Why is this child's name Immanuel? What does Immanuel mean?

Matt 1:18; Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
Matt 1:19; Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.
Matt 1:20; But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
Matt 1:21; And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Matt 1:22; Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
Matt 1:23; Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
Matt 1:24; Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
Matt 1:25; And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name Jesus.

"That which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit" - Joseph was not Jesus' biological father.
In fact verse 25 says Joseph "knew her not" ( didn't have sexual relations with her ) until after Jesus was born.

Loyal
...That Jesus is God is, I believe, confirmed by this verse:

"But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom." Heb 1:8

But to go from there to a Triune God is certainly a big leap for someone not grounded in the traditions of churches, is it not? We may in our own heart believe that God has led us to faith in a certain thing, but should we insist on imposing that same faith on others who are doubtful or skeptical?

All of us believers are to live by faith in order to please God. Who but God is qualified to state precisely what God Himself is and what exactly we should believe regarding Him?

If a person stands apart from others because of believing in, or not believing in, a Trinity, who but God should condemn that person?

"And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us...

Loyal
Following a false belief is one thing. Teaching it is another.

Titus 1:10; For there are many rebellious men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision,
Titus 1:11; who must be silenced because they are upsetting whole families, teaching things they should not teach for the sake of sordid gain.

Matt 18:6; but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.
Matt 18:7; “Woe to the world because of its stumbling blocks! For it is inevitable that stumbling blocks come; but woe to that man through whom the stumbling block comes!

Loyal
Following a false belief is one thing. Teaching it is another.

You are very correct, but doesn't every one believe he/she is right? If a person is in error, but doesn't know it, should the person not be corrected by God? I know that you believe you are correct in your beliefs as I believe that I am correct in mine as Jennifer believes she is correct in hers. If each of us says that we have received the Truth from God and are only teaching that, should the majority rule? Where in scripture does it say that the majority has the right of it? You see the problem?

Titus 1:10; For there are many rebellious men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision,
Titus 1:11; who must be silenced because they are upsetting whole families, teaching things they should not teach for the sake of sordid gain.

So who is it that should do the silencing? Should it be the Pope in Rome or Billy Graham or Jimmy Swaggert or me or you? You see the problem?

If a person is certain in his heart that his set of doctrines in right before God, has he also been advised personally by God to silence those who are in error?

Matt 18:6; but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.
Matt 18:7; “Woe to the world because of its stumbling blocks! For it is inevitable that stumbling blocks come; but woe to that man through whom the stumbling block comes!

Yes, woe unto them, but have a care lest we speak out against Hosea for marrying a harlot even though God told him to do it.

Loyal
So who is it that should do the silencing? Should it be the Pope in Rome or Billy Graham or Jimmy Swaggert or me or you? You see the problem?

If a person is certain in his heart that his set of doctrines in right before God, has he also been advised personally by God to silence those who are in error?

Jesus is the only shepherd over the entire flock. But each of the names you mentioned are shepherds
over a smaller part of that flock. They are responsible for that part. They may not be able to silence or change
what another church on the other side of the world says, but they can silence what is being said in their church.

Even here on TJ... there are those who should be shepherds of the flock here. They may not want to be or
they may not even realize they have been put in that position, but I guarantee you they will be held responsible.

As far as should we silence every single doctrine we don't agree with... no, I don't think so.
Can any of us say we are 100% correct in everything all of the time? Of course not.
Some doctrines don't matter that much.
Speaking in tongues doesn't save you. Healing someone won't save you. Giving tithes won't save you.
There is a lot we can disagree on. ( and often do )
But there are some doctrines... (such as the deity of Christ) that are non-negotiable.
There are certain things that we have to believe in order to be saved.

Loyal
Jesus is the only shepherd over the entire flock. But each of the names you mentioned are shepherds
over a smaller part of that flock. They are responsible for that part. They may not be able to silence or change
what another church on the other side of the world says, but they can silence what is being said in their church.

Yes, each person with an assignment from God must comply with whatever God requires of him in that assignment. We know that some "watchmen" don't do their job properly. Also some who claim to be "watchmen' really are not in the eyes of God. Some sheep are only claiming to be sheep. They really are something else. It really makes recognizing the Master voice important doesn't it... for every believer.

Even here on TJ... there are those who should be shepherds of the flock here. They may not want to be or
they may not even realize they have been put in that position, but I guarantee you they will be held responsible.

Yes, I was hit by that once quite a long while back. They may not always be right, but they are always in charge of this particular place.

As far as should we silence every single doctrine we don't agree with... no, I don't think so.

On this we agree!

Can any of us say we are 100% correct in everything all of the time? Of course not.

Unless we are already have completely overcome all of our errors and weaknesses, that is most certainly us.

Some doctrines don't matter that much.
Speaking in tongues doesn't save you. Healing someone won't save you. Giving tithes won't save you.
There is a lot we can disagree on. ( and often do )
But there are some doctrines... (such as the deity of Christ) that are non-negotiable.
There are certain things that we have to believe in order to be saved.

The thing that matters the most is pointed out by Paul and others: charity or love as per I Cor 13:4-7 and Cor 13:13

That chapter spells out the unimportance of many things [tongues, prophecy, knowledge of mysteries, faith, giving alms, etc.] next to charity. You say there are some doctrines that are unnegotiable, but when it comes down to naming those, some people will present different sets of "essentials" than other people. How we deal with people who hold to a different set than we do is part of what charity is, remembering that charity is the most important thing.

Active
It doesn't matter if we have a perfect and complete understanding of what God is, where He came from, or where He is going. What does matter is that we put the will of God first in the name of Jesus, and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit by trusting Him. Second, we love others as ourselves, and we have a desire to help others without expecting payment or compensation. Third, is to be a good role model and witness to others, and to encourage them to know the same saviour and joy as we. Whether we support Tertullian or Sabellius makes for a keen discussion, but let's not use the topic as an opportunity to create division within the Church and amongst us.

Loyal
We dont have to know everything. But we have to know enough.

If who God is isnt that relevant, then all Gods are equally relevant.

Loyal
Oh, who God is, is relevant, and we must stand on what we believe we have received from God in that regard.

However, what we have actually received from God and what we believe we have received from Him would seldom be the same. This difference is my point. For this reason we must apply charity to every situation.