• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Hello. A good-natured atheist here. Not trolling for any antagonism. I am deeply committed to understanding religions (and even to believing, if my heart is ever so turned). I spend a great deal of time reading tracts and watching sermons, etc., from expert sources. But I like visiting here whenever a question occurs to me to which I would like a more “believer in the street” opinion. I prefer to come here because my social circle is largely secular and taking the time to physically visit any given church in my area might not offer the range of considered responses I most desire.

Sorry for the longwinded disclaimer. Here’s my short question du jour:

If you had been at Calvary, would you have done anything to spare Jesus from being crucified?

Loyal
It depends on if I knew the reason for calvary or not at the time.
Looking back, hindsight is 20/20.

Even Peter tried to stop Jesus from being crucified. ( Matt 16:23; Mark 8:33; )
But looking back at the big picture. It was God's plan for Jesus to be crucified.
I hope we would never try to stop God's plan.

Active

RJ

Hello. A good-natured atheist here. Not trolling for any antagonism. I am deeply committed to understanding religions (and even to believing, if my heart is ever so turned). I spend a great deal of time reading tracts and watching sermons, etc., from expert sources. But I like visiting here whenever a question occurs to me to which I would like a more “believer in the street” opinion. I prefer to come here because my social circle is largely secular and taking the time to physically visit any given church in my area might not offer the range of considered responses I most desire.

Sorry for the longwinded disclaimer. Here’s my short question du jour:

If you had been at Calvary, would you have done anything to spare Jesus from being crucified?
Hi @Kirby D. P. , glad to see you again!
I am a devout believer in Jesus Christ, basically, he knocked and I opened the door!
This is a very difficult question, but I doubt it. Of all his closest followers, including his disciples, none did anything; even John, one of the most devoted, denied him 3 times, so why should have I been any different.
I think a very good point is that God had chosen Jesus to die for the remission of sins. Whether we understand it or not, God is perfect, holy and just in his ways. He had previously set a standard on sin, in that ,there could be no forgiveness with out a sacrifice and the shedding of blood; Jesus was this ultimate and final sacrifice. The Bible said "he died once and for all"!
God's holy and righteous plan to sacrifice his son, so we could be freed from the penalty of sin and find everlasting salvation and nothing or no one was going to change that!

Loyal
... including his disciples, none did anything; even John, one of the most devoted, denied him 3 times, so why should have I been any different.

Probably just a typo here... but it wasn't John :)

Hi @Kirby D. P. , glad to see you again!
I am a devout believer in Jesus Christ, basically... I doubt it. ...
God's holy and righteous plan to sacrifice his son, so we could be freed from the penalty of sin and find everlasting salvation and nothing or no one was going to change that!

Thank you. I see the internal logic of it. If there was indeed no way to change it, then (if I had been there) nothing I might try could have spared him would have succeeded. In your opinion, would any such attempts (I like to think I'd be brave enough to try to do something) be judged in my favor or against me.

Active

RJ

Probably just a typo here... but it wasn't John :)
Yes, I stand corrected. Of course it was Simon Peter; even more astonishing is that Jesus said he is the rock which he built his church upon!

Active

RJ

Thank you. I see the internal logic of it. If there was indeed no way to change it, then (if I had been there) nothing I might try could have spared him would have succeeded. In your opinion, would any such attempts (I like to think I'd be brave enough to try to do something) be judged in my favor or against me.
In your opinion, would any such attempts (I like to think I'd be brave enough to try to do something) be judged in my favor or against me
A good and interesting question. Again, Jesus was destined to die regardless of anyone's attempts. To love Jesus, the thought of saving him back then is reasonable for human thinking but, the spiritual nature of a true Christian ( having Christ inside you) this saved person knows that his death was only a prerequisite of a more important event, his resurrection . Without his resurrected existence, there would be no infusion of his spirit and subsequent salvation for all eternity!