• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

What is Heaven Like?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:14)

Active
Well, you're the one asking what Heaven will be like. All any can do is take what little we have concerning Heaven in the Scripture and try and develop some ideas.

Scripture is clear that sex is not just about pro-creation. See again (Gen. 18:12) Plus, why would we not have a sexual appetite when we will have a food appetite? Didn't the resurrected Christ eat fish with the disciples? (Luke 24:40-43)

Do you think men and women having sex is wrong? Was it, and is it not a spiritual thing? Why do you say, we are not looking for things we may like to see?

I don't believe you. We are men and women because that is what God made us to be. We are not some sort of neutered creatures. Thus there will be relationships, I believe, in Heaven. Don't ask me how it will be, as I said, I don't know. But that it will be, I do believe.

Well, you say we will not have genitals in Heaven. Because as you say, they are for procreation only. That is strange since I showed you they are for pleasure also. What is wrong with that when in accordance with God? And, if Jesus Christ ate fish and honey, will He be required to go to the bathroom? Will we? How...if we don't have genitals?

Yes, I believe Mary will be there. And, she will be a woman. Is that a surprise? Abraham will be a man. What a bulliten. Your description of us in heaven is not of resurrected humans. It is of some other order of beings.

Quantrill
Dear brother,

From your Paragraph-1 When I say what will Heaven be like, I am not asking a question for an answer but adding a question for readers to think what heaven is like, and most importantly what the New Heaven/New Earth will be like. All who are saved will be there a very long time brother, you wouldn't go on holiday to another country without first seeking some information about the place, why then do people have all sorts of ideas about heaven yet don't search the scripture for what God tells us, so we can be prepared for what we are to enjoy. That certainly gives me a thirst does it not give you one?

P2 - Sex is not just about pro-creation, agreed. God designed it for man and woman's enjoyment in this life, providing they are man and wife and married according to God's Word. I am not sure what Jesus eating fish with His disciples has to do with sex on earth in this life.

P3 - Do I think men and women having sex is wrong, it is not for me to say brother, except to go by God's Word. Of course it is not wrong in this life, providing they are man and wife in marriage as said, it is for multiplying in this life and for their enjoyment. We must take God's Word, all of it, even though some statements may not make sense at the time, we are not to look at things how we see things in this world and try fit scripture round them.

P4 - There will be loving relationships in heaven, God is love, we will be in His love, but as B-A-C confirmed with scripture there will not be male and female in the New Heaven/New Earth, so there will not be sex.

P5 - We do not know whether we will have to go to the bathroom, scripture doesn't tell us everything, yes Christ ate fish, and we are invited to the Banquet, we will eat and drink also in the New Heaven/New Earth. You may have lots of questions brother, we all do, but if God does not say we do not have the answer for that question, we move on to what He does say, He has given us enough to wet our appetite, to encourage us, to make us want to be there, for me that is enough, except I want to know everything He has to tells us, it will be such a wonderful place, and for all eternity. Wow brother.

P6 - Yes Mary will be there, as will all the others we have mentioned and more, but they will be neither male nor female in the New Heaven/New Earth, why? Because God has told us clearly in His Word.

I am sorry you felt I had not answered your question brother, the answers I give here are from scripture, they are available for us all.

Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen

Bless you \o/

Active
We have together discussed quite a lot, there are still items in scripture for us to find, all giving us a very important and wonderful picture of the New Heaven/ New Earth.

Yesterday we looked at creation, paradise, and from the fall, when God cursed the earth, and from this cursed period we live in to the New Heaven/New Earth, paradise regained. The curse only being in the period we live now, not in the First heavens and earth and not in the New Heaven/New Earth.

Before moving on and continuing to learn what God has to tell us about the New Heaven/New Earth, I thought it best to confirm the differences at this stage as we do not know the readers knowledge of these things between the milk and meat in the scriptures. My knowledge is limited also. I only share what I have found in scriptures please add any I may have missed and correct me is anything not worded accurately. Together we are the Body of Christ, together we learn.

Confirmation of the heavens.

In creation God created the heavens, 3 as stated earlier and the earth. The first is our atmosphere, the second is the universe, the third is God's abode.

None of these were contaminated by sin, heaven was on earth and God came from his abode, the third heaven, and walked in the garden with Adam and Eve.

But as we know Eve was tempted by the serpent and caused Adam to sin also, hence the Fall of all mankind to sin and God cursing the earth. Heaven and earth were separated, man and God were separated due to sin. But as scripture says, it was not like that from the beginning.

Man was lost, but God in His love for mankind created a way for us to be saved through his Son, Jesus, and also for Heaven and earth to be restored. Such love.

So the world is in sin unless redeemed by Jesus. God in His infinite wisdom only made the 3rd heaven Holy, it is His abode, it is without sin, the universe is same as the earth contaminated by sin, God knew humans would go into space and into the universe.

Will the New Heaven/New Earth be like it was first created? Not exactly.

Scripture tells us heaven and earth will be resurrected, they will be restored, they will be made new, after Christs return when the devil has been defeated. Heaven and earth will be one. Restored, not scrapped and started again, it is us that is in a throw away world, not God, He restores, resurrects and makes new.

The New Heaven/New Earth will certainly be paradise, we often describe things that are amazing as 'Out of this world's.' God will create the New Heaven/New Earth, out of this world. that we live in now.

Thanks be to God. Amen

Active
Dear brother,

From your Paragraph-1 When I say what will Heaven be like, I am not asking a question for an answer but adding a question for readers to think what heaven is like, and most importantly what the New Heaven/New Earth will be like. All who are saved will be there a very long time brother, you wouldn't go on holiday to another country without first seeking some information about the place, why then do people have all sorts of ideas about heaven yet don't search the scripture for what God tells us, so we can be prepared for what we are to enjoy. That certainly gives me a thirst does it not give you one?

P2 - Sex is not just about pro-creation, agreed. God designed it for man and woman's enjoyment in this life, providing they are man and wife and married according to God's Word. I am not sure what Jesus eating fish with His disciples has to do with sex on earth in this life.

P3 - Do I think men and women having sex is wrong, it is not for me to say brother, except to go by God's Word. Of course it is not wrong in this life, providing they are man and wife in marriage as said, it is for multiplying in this life and for their enjoyment. We must take God's Word, all of it, even though some statements may not make sense at the time, we are not to look at things how we see things in this world and try fit scripture round them.

P4 - There will be loving relationships in heaven, God is love, we will be in His love, but as B-A-C confirmed with scripture there will not be male and female in the New Heaven/New Earth, so there will not be sex.

P5 - We do not know whether we will have to go to the bathroom, scripture doesn't tell us everything, yes Christ ate fish, and we are invited to the Banquet, we will eat and drink also in the New Heaven/New Earth. You may have lots of questions brother, we all do, but if God does not say we do not have the answer for that question, we move on to what He does say, He has given us enough to wet our appetite, to encourage us, to make us want to be there, for me that is enough, except I want to know everything He has to tells us, it will be such a wonderful place, and for all eternity. Wow brother.

P6 - Yes Mary will be there, as will all the others we have mentioned and more, but they will be neither male nor female in the New Heaven/New Earth, why? Because God has told us clearly in His Word.

I am sorry you felt I had not answered your question brother, the answers I give here are from scripture, they are available for us all.

Thanks be to God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen

Bless you \o/
Well, that is what I am doing. I am thinking how Heaven will be. And, not just the place but how our relationships are structured and how they function in Heaven. Such as with each other. Such as with Jesus Christ. Such as men with women. Such as with angels.

Jesus eating fish with the disciples shows that He has a real physical body. And it is functioning just like the body He had on earth before the Cross. Because He is eating fish, then it is reasonable to believe He has intestines and bowels also. All of which goes back to the original purpose of God creating man. God created man just like He wanted Him. He created woman just like He wanted her.

Your interpretation of (Gal. 3:28) is flawed. (Gal. 3:27-28) "For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." This is addressing our present status in Christ while here on earth. Though on earth we are Jew or Gentile, we are male and female, we are bond or free, in Christ it doesn't matter. We are equal and one in Christ.

This in no way indicates there will be no men or women in Heaven. That is foolish. To think we cease to be men or cease to be women makes us not human at all. It makes us some other sort of creature.

If Mary is not a woman, how would I recognize her. I guess she could introduce herself. "Hi, I'm Mary. I used to be a woman. "

Quantrill

Least amongst the Best
Staff Member
Top Poster Of Month
Greetings,

if i may 'intrude' upon this?

Your interpretation of (Gal. 3:28) is flawed. (Gal. 3:27-28) "For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." This is addressing our present status in Christ while here on earth. Though on earth we are Jew or Gentile, we are male and female, we are bond or free, in Christ it doesn't matter. We are equal and one in Christ.

This in no way indicates there will be no men or women in Heaven. That is foolish. To think we cease to be men or cease to be women makes us not human at all. It makes us some other sort of creature
I think you are right here Quantrill. @Quantrill , I understand it to be referring to different class of society, of people. Where there were and nearly always have been different 'classes' of folk, with God in Christ, there is no differentiation, no discrimination, no bias nor preference. In fact, we are told that God is NOT a respecter of persons.

I agree that this verse does not suffice to state that we are gender free in Heaven. That sort of thinking actually is being primed now through some agencies and movements and trends all of which deny God and commit whoredoms and idolatry. So we really need to keep close to the Lord in all He has given us to know, not only about Heaven but about Himself and His Way.

While i have no idea what the Lord hath prepared for them that love Him, I recall what Keith Green said once, [my paraphrase] that this place [earth] is like a rubbish dump in comparison to what we have coming for He made everything in six days but He said He has gone to prepare a place for us and that was over two thousand years ago! One sort of can get excited about what we have to look forward to.

At the same time i do wonder how limited we might be in our thinking about eternity with Christ and i tend to think we oft-times think according only to our own experience, so far, and within the limitations of our fleshy minds.
A bit like where we are told we war not against flesh and blood but against spiritual wickedness.... the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, etc. A reminder that there is more than eye has seen or ear heard.

I honestly have never been to this subject in my thoughts much, trusting the Lord to show me in His time all that He will, and that may be obvious by some of what i have previously written.
To me, a man who needs a Saviour, the thought that Jesus will be there is plenty enough for an undeserving creature as myself. I honestly don't care [respectfully to the LORD] about the what and how stuff because to not perish and to be able to abide in Christ permanently, eternally, without my fading tent and the misery i have suffered and inflicted, without a care for the things that betray us now, without a tear, and without the dirty deceit of this present evil world, is a blessing i look forward to and my hope is anchored solely on the Lord Jesus Christ Who loved me and gave Himself for me that i may enter in and be with Him forever.

I do, however, like to interact with anyone who is willing to put self aside and as fellow servants of the Lord divide the truth with all the integrity and delight i can muster in this life. Everything else is rather insignificant to me. How i long for more men who also want to study and share with edifying love for His glory.

Bless you ....><>

Active

Quantrill
Thank you for this reply brother, I do agree with yourself and Br. Bear these verses do not appear to fit the New Heaven/New Earth, thank you.

It is always good when the body of Christ come together to study and discuss scripture, to God be the Glory.

Peace be with you. \o/

Active
1 Corinthians 2:9
But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him”
We can imagine brother, scripture is to encourage us to search more, it is also to encourage one another, what ever we imagine will no way meet that which God has planned for us. We will stand in awe, till the light is absorbed and our eyes become accustomed to it, the peace will penetrate to a depth never know, the love will be abundantly flowing from the throne of grace. How wonderful it is going to be.

Here we receive even more to the picture of the New Heaven/New Earth and what a picture inside the New City.

Let scripture speak...

Revelation 22:1-21 (KJV)
1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life,
which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:
4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.

5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

6 And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.

7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

8 And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
9 Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

10 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches.
I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come.
And let him that heareth say, Come.
And let him that is athirst come.
And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book,
If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy,
God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen.
Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

What a picture this gives us of the Holy City, yet we can only imagine and when we are there, when we see it, smell it, feel it, we will be in total awe.

And we will be with Jesus, He is the Light, 24 hours a day in His Light, in His Love, in His Peace, in the Grace of God.

If these pictures from scripture here, if all the pictures of items discussed in this thread, don't make us want to be there, don't make us want to stop sinning, don't make us want to know the Truth in the Word, then nothing will and we are doomed.

Thanks be to God for every thing He has given us in the The Word, every bit of encouragement, every promise, every prophesy, and His unfailing patience and love in Christ Jesus Precious and Holy Name. Amen

O Come Lord Jesus

Active
@Br. Bear @Brother-Paul

Yes, in the subject matter we are discussing we cannot come to a complete and full understanding. We have to work from what is known to try and understand the unknown. The 'known' being the Scripture that is revealed. But God has not revealed everything to us. The Bible is complete for it's purpose for us here. (2 Tim. 3:16-17) So, we can only go so far to the unknown things.

(Deut. 29:29) "The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law."

Quantrill

Active
I need to re-read through all the messages and scripture on here, thank you all who have taken part so far, there is more, but I need to absorb the discussion so far.

Please do continue to add scripture relating the Heaven, the current Heaven and the New Heaven/New Earth all Saved souls will enjoy whose names are written in the Book of Life and Book of the Lamb.

May the Good Lord Bless you always \o/