• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

What is Faith?

Staff Member
I thought I would share this from a Noah Webster Dictionary 1828 which I have, but was able to find online. It is almost a page long!!!

You won't find this type of dictionary most places that will also include scripture! We are not what we were.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Loyal
But what about supernatural faith? As in the gift of the Holy Spirit? Surely that kind of faith comes directly by the empowerment of the Holy Ghost, doesn’t it?

Obviously, the disciples had faith, or they would not have followed Jesus. Right? They obviously heard the Word because they knew THE Word in flesh. And yet Jesus rebuked them for having “little faith.”

For example, the faith to cast out demons, and the faith to lay hands on the sick and them be healed. Obviously, this kind of faith took the empowerment of the Holy Ghost not simply the kind of faith that comes by hearing the word of God. Right?
Both faiths come either by hearing the word of God or one of 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit are given as the Spirit wills.

1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

The normal kind of faith that comes by hearing the word of God and the other as the Spirit wills are both supernatural.
The kind of faith the Holy Spirit gives to a person can cause a person to believe something that they did not normally believe before.
The working of miracles or healings can and do operate in combination with this kind of faith. A Christian who has been given this kind of faith could see healings that happen instantly, compared to a believer who uses their normal kind of faith to bring healing to themselves or another person that does not happen instantly but over a period of time.

The man whose son was possessed by an evil spirit had faith in that he believed Jesus to be Lord but he had zero faith for the healing of his son.

Mar 9:23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
Mar 9:24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit are only given as the Spirit wills, but we are told to "desire spiritual gifts" that takes your normal kind of faith.

Active
Both faiths come either by hearing the word of God or one of 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit are given as the Spirit wills.

1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

The normal kind of faith that comes by hearing the word of God and the other as the Spirit wills are both supernatural.
The kind of faith the Holy Spirit gives to a person can cause a person to believe something that they did not normally believe before.
The working of miracles or healings can and do operate in combination with this kind of faith. A Christian who has been given this kind of faith could see healings that happen instantly, compared to a believer who uses their normal kind of faith to bring healing to themselves or another person that does not happen instantly but over a period of time.

The man whose son was possessed by an evil spirit had faith in that he believed Jesus to be Lord but he had zero faith for the healing of his son.

Mar 9:23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
Mar 9:24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit are only given as the Spirit wills, but we are told to "desire spiritual gifts" that takes your normal kind of faith.
I understand all of this. My point was that great FAITH is also one of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. Meaning God will anoint someone with the power of the Holy Ghost to operate in that faith IF they respond and desire to be used in it…as you pointed out Paul’s instruction.. The point being, this kind of faith (Gift of Faith) does not require “hearing the word”…..nor does it grow by “hearing more of the word” as you imply….rather, it depends fully on God’s discretion and the willingness of a person to become an empty vessel. It does not go along with your assertion that ALL faith comes to us the same way. ‍♂️

Loyal
The point being, this kind of faith (Gift of Faith) does not require “hearing the word”…..nor does it grow by “hearing more of the word” as you imply….rather, it depends fully on God’s discretion
Without faith, it is impossible to please God. ( Hebrews 11:6 ) God the Holy Spirit will not use someone who does not "desire spiritual gifts" ( 1Cor 14:1 ) You can NOT "believe" (Have faith) in something you do not know, and you can NOT "experience" that which you do not believe (Have faith) How is someone expected to be used by the Holy Spirit if they do not know, and believe (Have faith) in the gifts of the Spirit if they do not have faith to experience it? They don't.

Nobody can have faith without first hearing the word God by which faith comes!

Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Faith "grows" only by feeding on the word of God. The more word of God a person has hidden in their heart the more faith they will have.

2Th 1:3 We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other,

Does faith grow by having less of the word of God or by having more of the word of God?

Yes I will be happy to explain something about the food of the Kingdom.

Father spoke to me a little while ago to help me explain saying: “Faith is knowledge inherited”

And when we think about it, then it becomes obvious that Faith in Him Who is true/ word about Him Who is true, is not a belief. Instead it is knowledge, that we are encouraged to trust, until we know ourselves.

But the one who does not know yet must eat the “flesh of Christ”, and “drink His blood”, so that He may digest it, understand it, know it, and become it:

8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light, 9for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness, and truth.…

In the Holy Kingdom of God there are also actual fruits of light, that we may eat from the tree of life, I have myself been allowed to eat of them. And it was recorded on video how that looked from the outside one of the times. If you like I will send you d´the video, so that you may know that I have indeed eaten of the food of the Kingdom:

7He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who overcomes, I will grant the right to eat from the tree of life in the Paradise of God.

When we eat of the light of God, we take in, and digest the light of God. When we eat of the word of Christ it is very good, it is excellent. In heaven the word of Christ is light:

31 Meanwhile the disciples urged Him, “Rabbi, eat something.” 32But He told them, “I have food to eat that you know nothing about.”

To take in and digest the light of God is like a whirlwind of positive effects, that will lead you to ask more, so that you may get an answer, search so that you may find, knock so that it may be opened for you.

6Do not give dogs what is holy; do not throw your pearls before swine. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces. 7Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.…

However if a person eat without faith in He who is true , what he will eat is instead seeds from satan, that may grow in him, and destroy him from within. It is no good having been offer word in the Holy Spirit, to turn around and blaspheme the Holy Spirit:

31Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

So to eat without faith is not advisable.

Last edited:
Since I have written about the eye, I will offer those who can feel the eye infected by evil a warning.

The eye infected by evil, that Jesus warns us about is not evil in itself. The eye is one of the great treasures given to man by God.

It is the dirt of satan, the mark of the beast that is covering its sight that is evil, the eye will act a tool for satan tricking you. The eye is in the forehead, where jews since ancient times knew it to be, some Jews will tie a small box and but words from the Torah in it, so that the position af the box will be around where the eye is spreading out.

Be warned, that the small eye, about the size of an infected finger, throbbing like an infected finger is the eye infected by evil.

If you know the eye is there it is a good thing, but if it is infected you must clean, and ask Jesus help to clean, so that what you see is the light of God, and not darkness with the eye:

21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 22The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!…

It is basically because God is Love, so the the closer we get to Him the more we love. God is good, so the closer we get to Him the more we know it.

So God is the greatest of rewards. Thus the more we see of God, the more we are rewarded. And we will want to unite with Him and become part of Him, because we realize He is vastly superior

20 On that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you. 21 Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him.”

37Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Active
Without faith, it is impossible to please God. ( Hebrews 11:6 ) God the Holy Spirit will not use someone who does not "desire spiritual gifts" ( 1Cor 14:1 ) You can NOT "believe" (Have faith) in something you do not know, and you can NOT "experience" that which you do not believe (Have faith) How is someone expected to be used by the Holy Spirit if they do not know, and believe (Have faith) in the gifts of the Spirit if they do not have faith to experience it? They don't.

Nobody can have faith without first hearing the word God by which faith comes!

Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Faith "grows" only by feeding on the word of God. The more word of God a person has hidden in their heart the more faith they will have.

2Th 1:3 We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other,

Does faith grow by having less of the word of God or by having more of the word of God?
Brother, I think we are just talking past one another. Because I don’t think you’re grasping what I am saying. First of all, your assertion that “faith grows by feeding on the word of God” is not scriptural. The verse you quote from 2 Timothy does not say that at all nor does it even imply it.
Jesus prayed for Peter, “that HIS (Peter’s) faith would not fail.”
Sometimes faith can simply be “imparted” to us with no “growing” period required.

There IS a kind of faith that is BESTOWED upon a believer as God (through the Holy Spirit) sees fit….it is the GREATEST kind of faith….the kind that produces miracles and leads to the operation of the OTHER miraculous gifts. No amount of hearing the word or “growing by feeding on the word” as you put it, can produce THAT kind of faith. It comes ONLY as GOD wills it. AND He can bestow it on ANYONE at ANYTIME….because He is God.

I’m NOT disagreeing that at least one kind of faith comes by hearing the word of God. I know this. What I AM trying to get across to you is that there is more than one TYPE of faith and each type accomplishes something different. You (and Paul in Roman’s 10) are talking only about SAVING FAITH. Yes, that certainly comes the way Paul explains and it is fostered through discipleship…and grows.

Peter already had that saving faith….but as Jesus demonstrated to him on the Sea of Galilee (Matthew 14:30-33) there IS another kind of faith that requires trust in what we DO NOT KNOW and CAN NOT KNOW, which requires us to rely totally on the the power of the Holy Spirit working through us. No amount of hearing and believing the word of God can produce THAT kind of faith…only surrendering ourselves fully (along with our senses and perceptions) and relying on the Holy Spirit, can produce it.

My Lord man! Peter was THERE, with Christ…..God in flesh….the LIVING WORD….watching Him walk on water! He’d followed Jesus, witnessed the miracles, Peter believed in Jesus, followed Him, lived with Him….heard the Word being preached by THE Word every single day! If anyone should have had his faith built up to the max, it should have been Peter. And yet, Jesus rebukes him for having “small faith”. Why? Because there is absolutely a GREAT faith…a miraculous faith that is beyond hearing or seeing that can only be bestowed by God THROUGH the Holy Ghost.

If you don’t think that’s true, then go read the Word every day, go to church or listen to the preached Word (of truth) every waking hour of the day for a whole year and truly believe what you are hearing. Then go out and walk on water. I’m not saying you won’t walk on water….but if you do, it will ONLY come through the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, and because God wills it for His purposes….NOT because you have built up your faith from hearing or “feasting on more” of the word.

If you can’t get that, I’m sorry. I’ve done my best to explain where I’m coming from. I believe you are stubbornly hung up on Romans 10 and semantics won’t allow you to see past it.

Be blessed.

Loyal
8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light, 9for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness, and truth.…
There is no doubt that the Kingdom of God is a Kingdom of light as God himself is light. God covers himself with light as a cloak. The river of life is a river of light. The robes of righteousness which God gives his sons are robes of light. All sons of God are light beings. Every thing about Gods Kingdom is made up of light. Light gives wisdom and understanding of God himself. Light allows the ability is see a far off. The Holy Spirit who also is light reveals to us everything God has prepared for them that love him.

Loyal
Brother, I think we are just talking past one another. Because I don’t think you’re grasping what I am saying. First of all, your assertion that “faith grows by feeding on the word of God” is not scriptural
The source of all faith comes from the word of God. No word equals no faith. Saving faith comes from salvation scriptures. Healing for the body comes from healing scriptures. They are not the same. Knowledge and understanding of each promise given by God to his Church which gives faith for that specic promise can only come from the scriptures. You can not walk by faith or ask God for anything until you discover what God has already given you and that only comes from the word of God.

Active
The source of all faith comes from the word of God. No word equals no faith. Saving faith comes from salvation scriptures. Healing for the body comes from healing scriptures. They are not the same. Knowledge and understanding of each promise given by God to his Church which gives faith for that specic promise can only come from the scriptures. You can not walk by faith or ask God for anything until you discover what God has already given you and that only comes from the word of God.
Ok

It a privilege to write with someone who knows the Kingdom of God is the Kingdom of Gods light. It seems very rare.

But when you knew, did you not ask God to see it? And if you asked God to see it, did you not ask Him to see with the eye that can see the light of God?

When the eye is not clean, it feels like there is a beam in the eye: 5You hypocrite! First take the beam out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Many christians seem to be ashamed of dirt. That is very dangerous.

Someone who is ashamed of dirt will quickly hide it under the carpet.
When we find dirt we must welcome the find
It is good to find dirt if it is there, and if we know how to clean, and do it.

If we do not find it, even though it is there, we are in trouble

Active
Brother, I think we are just talking past one another. Because I don’t think you’re grasping what I am saying. First of all, your assertion that “faith grows by feeding on the word of God” is not scriptural. The verse you quote from 2 Timothy does not say that at all nor does it even imply it.
Jesus prayed for Peter, “that HIS (Peter’s) faith would not fail.”
Sometimes faith can simply be “imparted” to us with no “growing” period required.

There IS a kind of faith that is BESTOWED upon a believer as God (through the Holy Spirit) sees fit….it is the GREATEST kind of faith….the kind that produces miracles and leads to the operation of the OTHER miraculous gifts. No amount of hearing the word or “growing by feeding on the word” as you put it, can produce THAT kind of faith. It comes ONLY as GOD wills it. AND He can bestow it on ANYONE at ANYTIME….because He is God.

I’m NOT disagreeing that at least one kind of faith comes by hearing the word of God. I know this. What I AM trying to get across to you is that there is more than one TYPE of faith and each type accomplishes something different. You (and Paul in Roman’s 10) are talking only about SAVING FAITH. Yes, that certainly comes the way Paul explains and it is fostered through discipleship…and grows.

Peter already had that saving faith….but as Jesus demonstrated to him on the Sea of Galilee (Matthew 14:30-33) there IS another kind of faith that requires trust in what we DO NOT KNOW and CAN NOT KNOW, which requires us to rely totally on the the power of the Holy Spirit working through us. No amount of hearing and believing the word of God can produce THAT kind of faith…only surrendering ourselves fully (along with our senses and perceptions) and relying on the Holy Spirit, can produce it.

My Lord man! Peter was THERE, with Christ…..God in flesh….the LIVING WORD….watching Him walk on water! He’d followed Jesus, witnessed the miracles, Peter believed in Jesus, followed Him, lived with Him….heard the Word being preached by THE Word every single day! If anyone should have had his faith built up to the max, it should have been Peter. And yet, Jesus rebukes him for having “small faith”. Why? Because there is absolutely a GREAT faith…a miraculous faith that is beyond hearing or seeing that can only be bestowed by God THROUGH the Holy Ghost.

If you don’t think that’s true, then go read the Word every day, go to church or listen to the preached Word (of truth) every waking hour of the day for a whole year and truly believe what you are hearing. Then go out and walk on water. I’m not saying you won’t walk on water….but if you do, it will ONLY come through the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, and because God wills it for His purposes….NOT because you have built up your faith from hearing or “feasting on more” of the word.

If you can’t get that, I’m sorry. I’ve done my best to explain where I’m coming from. I believe you are stubbornly hung up on Romans 10 and semantics won’t allow you to see past it.

Be blessed.

The scholars call it an extra measure of faith. All of us who are in Christ are a functioning part of the Body of Christ. Faith is measured out to us according to the task God has given to us.

What teenager in his right mind would enter into a fight to the death against a man of war such as Goliath? Not only did David enter into this fight, he knew in his heart he would win the victory for Israel. This is an extra measure of faith to fulfil the will of God.

In Heb. 11, the hall of faith, there are names written there who were given this extra measure of faith. It was supernatural faith, against all human odds.

God will always give this measure of faith to fulfil His will according to the task given.

Loyal
It a privilege to write with someone who knows the Kingdom of God is the Kingdom of Gods light. It seems very rare.

But when you knew, did you not ask God to see it? And if you asked God to see it, did you not ask Him to see with the eye that can see the light of God?
One of the most quoted scriptures in the Bible is this.......

1Co 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

But rarely is the very next scripture quoted with it..........

1Co 2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

God has revealed everything he has prepared for us by His Spirit! Only it will not be revealed to us through our hearing or seeing or in our mind!

These are all physical senses. Only by our spiritual senses can these things be revealed to us. The Apostle Paul learned this which is why he prayed this prayer constantly for the Church.

Eph 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
Eph 1:16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
Eph 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
Eph 1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

The spirit of wisdom and revelation is only given by having, eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling,

The Greek word for, "know" in verse 18 is, "eido" which means, "to see" When God enlightens the eyes of a person's heart he wants to show them something. Obviously enlightening the eyes gives vision into the Kingdom of God and in what God has appeared for those who love him.

Loyal
1Cor 2:6; Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away;
1Cor 2:7; but we speak God's wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory;
1Cor 2:8; the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory;
1Cor 2:9; but just as it is written, "THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD, AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN, ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM." ( see Isa 64:4; )
1Cor 2:10; For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God.
1Cor 2:11; For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.
1Cor 2:12; Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,
1Cor 2:13; which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.
1Cor 2:14; But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
1Cor 2:15; But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.
1Cor 2:16; For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.

Well you are very very wrong in that analysis Curtis.

But if it did not help when I told you I cried for hours, when I realized that the blind tore the eye out of the teachings of Christ, out of the body of Christ.

And Jesus told me that the blind do not understand the meaning of an eye.

No Curtis, there is an actual eye. Do not doubt Jesus when He says that eye is the lamp of the body, do you not know about the lamps that you need oil for them!?

Have you not read the parable of the ten virgins!?

At least do not spread such ideas to others that totally contradicts Jesus. It is not good for you, or others.

And about Paul claiming there is no eye, no people that can see, it is a big lie. Paul knew there are prophets appointed by Jesus:

29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said.

These are very critical teachings of Jesus, about the eye, the lamps, and seeing.

Be very careful about what you are claiming, as you have not seen yourself. Read the parable about the ten virgins, and you should understand these are very serious matters.

Instead when Jesus says there is an eye, ask Him, can I see with the eye?

When He says the lamps are important, then find the lamps, ask God to know the lamps, do not doubt that there are lamps, do not doubt Jesus, or you are doomed. You must read with faith.

Kindly understand that what you write makes me very worried for you.

I have such an eye of understanding, it is replacing my mind, seeing with the eye is exchanging my mind for His light it seems, there I can see His Kingdom, there I can hear Him, there is the tree of life, there is the angels with many heads claws and feet guiding the higher heavens, there are children of light playing, as the create what they wish, there are the chosen ladies, and Jesus on His throne in the third heaven, there is the baptism in Gods white fire, there are those called "rolling eyes" fobidden to mention the reality, there is the first heaven, and the second heaven. And below the fourth there seem to be giant villas and gardens.

If no one could see, then how could we tell you what we saw Curtis?

Loyal
No Curtis, there is an actual eye. Do not doubt Jesus when He says that eye is the lamp of the body, do you not know about the lamps that you need oil for them!?
The physical eye can not see the invisible things of the spirit.

The eyes of the "heart" which Jesus refers to the spirit of man (Paul refers to that man as the hidden man of the heart) that Jesus was referring to has nothing to do with the flesh!

Mat_13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Loyal
These are very critical teachings of Jesus, about the eye, the lamps, and seeing.
The rebirth human spirit has the capability to see the invisible Kingdom of God.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Man's flesh is not born again!