• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Water Baptism

Administrator
Staff Member
WATER BAPTISM

We believe that Baptism should be a celebration more than a ceremony. Baptism is our way of telling our friends and family that we have chosen to follow God with our lives.

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF BAPTISM?

1. It illustrates Christ's burial and resurrection.

"For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ. " (Colossians. 2: 12)
2. It illustrates my new life as a Christian.

"By our baptism then, we were buried with Him and shared His death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead ... so also we may live a new life!" (Romans 6:4)
Baptism does not make you a believer - it shows that you already believe. Baptism does not "save" you, only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism simply lets your friends, family and church know about your changed life.

3. It illustrates the commitment you make in your heart.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, trough faith ... it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2:8,9)
WHY BE BAPTIZED BY IMMERSION?

1. Because Jesus was baptized that way.

"As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water."(Matthew 3:16)
2. Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion.
(Example) "...then both Philip and the man went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water..." (Acts 8:38-39)

The word Baptize means to dip under water". The Greek work, baptize means "to immerse or dip under water". It best symbolized a burial and resurrection!

3. The founders of denominations agree:

Martin Luther ... I would have those who are to be baptized to be entirely immersed, as the work imports and the mystery signifies."

John Calvin... "The word 'baptize' signifies to immerse. It is certain that immersion was the practice of the ancient church"

John Wesley ... "Buried with Him, alludes to baptizing by immersion according to the custom of the first church. "

WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?

1. Every person who has believed in Christ.
"Those who believe and accepted His message were baptized ... " (Acts 2:41)

2. At The Point, we wait until our children are old enough to believe and understand the true meaning of baptism before we baptize them.

Some churches practice a "baptism of confirmation" for children. This ceremony is intended to be a covenant between the parents and God on the behalf of the child. The parents promise to raise their child in the faith until the child is old enough to make his own personal confession of Christ. This custom began about 300 years after the Bible was completed. This is different from the baptism talked about in the Bible, which was only for those old enough to believe.

We place no age restrictions on the children because we believe that their parents will fully confirm that their child is ready. The purpose is to publicly confess your personal commitment to Christ.

WHEN SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED?

As soon as you have believed.

"Those who believe ...were baptized ...that day!" (Acts 2:41)
There is no reason to delay. As soon as you have decided to receive Christ into your life, you can and should be baptized. If you wait until you are "perfect", you will never feel "good enough"!

If you have not been baptized you should consider taking this next step in your spiritual growth!!!

Taken from a newsletter handed out by my pastor at a new church I attend, The Point Church in NY.

I love this post! What a message, it has brought me to realize something big in my life.

I got "saved" at a very early age, and baptized. I was just a young boy... but later during a church camp in my teens I realized that when I got saved as a boy I was only doing so out of fear, and I got actually saved there at that camp. However after this I was never baptized, and never thought anything of it. I am now 30 years old and as everyone who has been following my posts, knows I have gone through some trying times and divorce and other issues, and am now trying to get my life right with God.

My question is should I be baptized now? Since I never was AFTER my actually salvation?

Administrator
Staff Member
There is no reason why a believer should not be water baptized, brother. Go for it and hopefully many of your loved ones will witness this too. Keep in mind walking with Christ and showing the light of Christ in you (your lifestyle) is an important factor in truly witnessing to others.

There is no reason why a believer should not be water baptized, brother. Go for it and hopefully many of your loved ones will witness this too. Keep in mind walking with Christ and showing the light of Christ in you (your lifestyle) is an important factor in truly witnessing to others.

Question: when you note that baptism is not necessary for salvation, are you speaking of baptism in water only? How do you differentiate between baptism in the water (which I suppose would be the literal ceremony) and baptism in the spirit (which would be the spiritual content of the ceremony?) I'm curious if you do differentiate between salvation and baptism in the holy spirit, how you view the relationship between the two.

There is no reason to delay. As soon as you have decided to receive Christ into your life, you can and should be baptized. If you wait until you are "perfect", you will never feel "good enough"!
If you have not been baptized you should consider taking this next step in your spiritual growth!!!

Thank you for this post. I've been baptized last Sunday in the Baptist Church. It was the most important day of my life. Sometimes I was nervous, sometimes like in the post, I didn't feel 'good enough', because I became a Christian only 3 months ago and there are so many things I don't know yet.
But I had such a strong feeling I had to be baptized that it was the only thing I wanted and could think about.
Happily my pastor immediatly accepted this and took care of it that I was baptized as soon as possible. :love:

Last edited:
Acts 3 v 36
And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

The eunuch was baptized straight way after hearing the word of God.
Congratulation Mirjam acting in obedience to Jesus.

I still ponder though
Why do some of our churches still insist on baptizing babies though, how can they not see this as not in the bible?

In fact I declined to attend one very recently, it was all about the drinking session in a club afterwards, plus the mother in question was unmarried and was split up from the father, I could not find it in my spirit to believe one thing and attend it, I just cannot agree with baby baptism, so do I just go along to please man and forget God?
What i did do was send a letter of explanation, not too heavy, just explaining my belief, and included a money gift for the child.
It was my cousins granddaughter of nearly 1 being Baptized/Christened.

Last edited:
Administrator
Staff Member
I was water baptized today. It was really great, an awesome experience. No I did not come out of the water feeling overwhelmed with the Spirit or feel "saved". But, to be obedient and honor GOD, to express publicly your love for Jesus was a great feeling.

Dear brother Chad,

We were both baptized today!! That is so very cool!!!!

I prayed that God give me the opportunity for my baptism in a natural body of water sometime this summer. On our way to church today, I found out that there would be a water baptism in the lake at the church picnic after the service. One problem, since I didn't know about it until we left, I was in my Sunday best with no swim trunks. (Enter God and his awesome plans)My brother, who we didn't know was coming, showed up with a swim suit which he offered to let me use!

Isn't it an honor and privilege to be able to publicly profess our faith in God. Congratulations on taking the dip my friend. Now I pray that we be continually baptized by the fire of the Spirit as we live free daily. In Jesus' name, amen.

God bless you brother,

Elliot

Congrats Chad, I'm really really happy for you because I can imagine the feeling! You make us look good.

Congrats Elliot!

great post chad. i think one important thing to look at in baptism but it never is, is found in john 3:5- verily verily i say unto you except a man be born of water and spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven.

a revelation that the holy spirit has put upon my heart is that we spend 40 weeks in water while our mothers cary us in their womb. however that water is of flesh and the sinful nature. but when we repent of our filthy ways and we accept jesus into our hearts it is then that the holy spirit moves us to be baptised and that being in the water that god has placed on the earth for us.

i dont agree with the many teachings of baptism in the world today. it truly has nothing to do with an outward expression to the world. it is not taught by man or moved by man. it is only the holy spirit that can truly move us to be baptised for its full affect.

water baptism is after repentence for the remission of sins. acts 2:38. that is why it states in 1 peter that it is a clean consiounce before god. through out the book of acts there are several people that are baptised without anyone except for theirself and the one baptising them.

it is not salvation , rather the completion of it. just as jesus said on the cross before his death "it is finished". baptism is not a work but a joy that is only moved by the holy spirit and to be done at the minute that the person is requesting it. it is not a call for a week or two of classes with a pastor, that is not in scripture but the act of obedience to our lord and saviour.

An outward sign...of inward grace.

A vital association with Jesus. For it says of Jesus that "it becometh us to fulfill all righteousness" Mtt 3 v 15

stephen, you were taught this by man and theology schools or something of the effect right? us preaching and spreading the gospel is the outward sign of inward grace. nowhere in the bible does it state that this is what baptism is.

Hello Chad, I've been quiet for a little while now, but I have really been thinking very deeply about the subject of baptism for some time now. It seems to be the case now that so many of my brothers and sisters in the faith have adopted a stance of "Jesus plus nothing" as a way of skirting the need for believers to be baptized. I have studied the scripture for many years and have yet to find sufficient support for this position. Please allow me to explain. While the bible does say in "For it is by grace you have been saved, trough faith ... it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast." Eph 2:8-9 I think this text has been misapplied. Faith is not a work neither is the grace given to us that allows us to have faith, but faith without any accompanying action is dead. James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? I challenge any Christian to show an example of " Jesus plus nothing" in any biblical conversion in the new testament, conversion is always followed by baptism. The same Christians who say " Jesus plus nothing " when it come to baptism are the same ones who when leading a hearer to Christ will have him say a prayer for conversion. That is not plus nothing, but now they have had this hearer of the word invoke their own salvation by their own invitation to Christ, i.e," invite Christ into your heart " . My questions are what apostle's example are they following with this type of conversion ? And which is really the greater work, one submitting themselves to another to be baptized, or one invoking his own entrance into the body of Christ by his own words ? The bible describes baptism as the answer of a good conscience toward God, 1 Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ: our modern day theologians say we are to answer with a prayer or invite. I know in this microwave, instant gratification society we are always looking for ways to have it done NOW, but if people dont have time to obey God's command to be baptized, have they really come to terms with who God is? I have a hard time separating the need for baptism from obeying the Gospel. When I look at the Ethiopian eunuch In Acts 8:35-36
"Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus". 36.And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? Phillip preached to him Jesus, immediately he knew he needed to be baptized. How many people today think they have had Jesus preached to them, but dont know they need to be baptized. In the conversion of Cornelius Acts 10, it is clear, by Peter's later explanation in Acts 10:47 ( Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?) that Cornelius wanted he and his household to be baptized after hearing the Gospel and receiving the Holy Ghost. Those who like to say " Jesus plus nothing" also like to misuse the scripture where the apostle Paul says he thanks God he didn't baptize more Corinthians to mislead people into thinking Paul was against baptism 1 Cor 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
they never read the next part of this, 1 Cor 1:15
Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. Paul was not preaching against baptism, but against people trying to identify with the person who baptized them, instead of the Lord who saved, Its like me saying " I'm a Methodist" instead of " I'm a Christian", because I was baptized in a Methodist church. I believe the biblical evidence does not support a prayer or inviting Christ into ones heart as the response to hearing the Gospel. In Rev 3:20 " Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus is inviting us to hear his voice, and open the door, it is not an invitation from us, but to us. How do we " open the door " to let Jesus in ? God has told us how, repent, confess, be baptized.

I would really appreciate anyones thoughts or comments about this, it is troubling to me. Thanks

Loyal
The thief on the cross next to Jesus didn't get baptized. Yet Jesus told him he would be in paradise. So it may not be an absolute requirement.
Still, Jesus was baptized, he taught baptism, (both water and Spirit). John the baptist obviously believed in water baptism.
So the question remains, why would you not want to do it?

Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8; Luke 3:16;
John 3:5; Eph 4:5; Col 2:12; 1 Pet 3:21;
Matt 28:19; John 3:22; John 4:1-2;
Matt 3:16; Mark 1:10; Luke 3:22;

Active

RJ

The thief on the cross next to Jesus didn't get baptized. Yet Jesus told him he would be in paradise. So it may not be an absolute requirement.
Still, Jesus was baptized, he taught baptism, (both water and Spirit). John the baptist obviously believed in water baptism.
So the question remains, why would you not want to do it?

Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8; Luke 3:16;
John 3:5; Eph 4:5; Col 2:12; 1 Pet 3:21;
Matt 28:19; John 3:22; John 4:1-2;
Matt 3:16; Mark 1:10; Luke 3:22;

• I personally have no fault in water baptism as an honest and outward expression of your belief in Jesus Christ. It would be a wonderful way to witness your belief to others.
  • Through no action on my own, I was water baptised as a child in a Baptist Church.
  • Saying that, I am convinced it has nothing to do with your salvation. Oh, you can recieve salvation by way of the Holy Spirit (Born Again) during the process of being water baptized but the water has absolutely nothing to do with it.
  • The theif on the cross is a great example.
  • Jesus was water baptised. God had required this of John The Baptist and for beleivers and all of this occured under the law. God and Jesus had not ushered in salvation by grace yet. Jesus followed the law and all of God's commandments perfectly and would have of course been water baptised.
  • If one thinks that water baptism is a requirement for salvation, it would be salvation through works and not through the free gift of grace.

• I personally have no fault in water baptism as an honest and outward expression of your belief in Jesus Christ. It would be a wonderful way to witness your belief to others.
  • Through no action on my own, I was water baptised as a child in a Baptist Church.
  • Saying that, I am convinced it has nothing to do with your salvation. Oh, you can recieve salvation by way of the Holy Spirit (Born Again) during the process of being water baptized but the water has absolutely nothing to do with it.
  • The theif on the cross is a great example.
  • Jesus was water baptised. God had required this of John The Baptist and for beleivers and all of this occured under the law. God and Jesus had not ushered in salvation by grace yet. Jesus followed the law and all of God's commandments perfectly and would have of course been water baptised.
  • If one thinks that water baptism is a requirement for salvation, it would be salvation through works and not through the free gift of grace.

I appreciate your reply to this subject. I have noticed over the years that people tend to sight the " thief on the cross " as an prototype of salvation without baptism, what is overlooked in this example is : 1. It would have been impossible for the thief to have been " baptized into Christ" since Jesus had not died and rose again yet. 2. He could not have been added to the body of Christ at this time for the same reason. In Gen 5: 24 we have this testimony, " And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him. " yet we dont see this as an example of how to get to heaven. We should not look at the exceptions as the way to be obedient, but consider the whole of God's instruction to us. You can't get to heaven and say to God " I saw what you did for the thief on the cross and for Enoch, so I figured I didn't need to obey Jesus's command to be baptized, even though I saw how the first century believers obeyed, being baptized whenever conversion took place. I dont believe this excuse will be at all plausible, nor does hold any merit today. Amen?

The issue of baptism is an interesting one among Christians. Prior to the ministry of Christ, John the Baptist was baptizing with water, which was to be a sign of repentance. Nothing supernatural took place, it was just a sign of a desire to be clean and return to God. When Jesus called for baptism, it was done in the name of Jesus, more specifically in the name of the persons of the Trinity.

During the Reformation, two different groups emerged, those that wished to remain liturgical and sacramental (Anglican, Lutheran, etc), and those that wanted to be non-liturgical and non-sacramental (Baptists, etc). Non-sacramental Christianity is based on the idea that things of the Earth is still flawed and therefore, God can do nothing miraculous with it. The sacramental Christians believe that it was the baptism of Jesus which renewed the elements of the world, such that God could now do the divine through things of the Earth. That is, God can transform with water, God can change bread and wine into His Body and Blood.

Non-sacramental Christians view Jesus speaking about baptism of water and spirit as being two distinct things with no regard to the baptism of John. In a moment of grace, the person is baptized by the Holy Spirit. At a later date he shows his faith through a water baptism. The sacramental Christians view that there was a water baptism done by John and also a baptism done through water that is of the spirit. They receive the Holy Spirit who now works through the elements of a renewed creation brought on by Jesus' baptism. That is, baptism of the Holy Spirit is done through water. I am not familiar with how non-sacramental Christians understand the baptism of Jesus and its purpose. Perhaps someone can answer.

Last edited:
I appreciate your reply to this subject. I have noticed over the years that people tend to sight the " thief on the cross " as an prototype of salvation without baptism, what is overlooked in this example is : 1. It would have been impossible for the thief to have been " baptized into Christ" since Jesus had not died and rose again yet. 2. He could not have been added to the body of Christ at this time for the same reason. In Gen 5: 24 we have this testimony, " And Enoch walkedwithGod: and he was not; for God took him. " yet we dont see this as an example of how to get to heaven. We should not look at the exceptions as the way to be obedient, but consider the whole of God's instruction to us. You can't get to heaven and say to God " I saw what you did for the thief on the cross and for Enoch, so I figured I didn't need to obey Jesus's command to be baptized, even though I saw how the first century believers obeyed, being baptized whenever conversion took place. I dont believe this excuse will be at all plausible, nor does hold any merit today. Amen?

This is the problem of musts, only, and don'ts. They all limit the mercy and abilities of God. That doesn't mean we can take advantage of his mercy to avoid something.

Active

RJ

I appreciate your reply to this subject. I have noticed over the years that people tend to sight the " thief on the cross " as an prototype of salvation without baptism, what is overlooked in this example is : 1. It would have been impossible for the thief to have been " baptized into Christ" since Jesus had not died and rose again yet. 2. He could not have been added to the body of Christ at this time for the same reason. In Gen 5: 24 we have this testimony, " And Enoch walkedwithGod: and he was not; for God took him. " yet we dont see this as an example of how to get to heaven. We should not look at the exceptions as the way to be obedient, but consider the whole of God's instruction to us. You can't get to heaven and say to God " I saw what you did for the thief on the cross and for Enoch, so I figured I didn't need to obey Jesus's command to be baptized, even though I saw how the first century believers obeyed, being baptized whenever conversion took place. I dont believe this excuse will be at all plausible, nor does hold any merit today. Amen?
You pulled out my mentioning of the Thief, made your comments and ignored the rest of my comentary.
Whatever God did before Jesus ushered in salvation by grace is o.k. with me, He is perfect, I am not and he can do what ever he please.
  • Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
  • To be baptised requires man, works than include but not limited to: A Pastor, someone to construct the baptismal font, water to be poured, robes made and used......all done ny man....works!
  • Hebrews 8:1-7 Now the point in what we are saying is this: we have such a high priest, one who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, a minister in the holy places, in the true tent that the Lord set up, not man. For every high priest is appointed to offer gifts and sacrifices; thus it is necessary for this priest also to have something to offer. Now if he were on earth, he would not be a priest at all, since there are priests who offer gifts according to the law. They serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly things. For when Moses was about to erect the tent, he was instructed by God, saying, “See that you make everything according to the pattern that was shown you on the mountain.” But as it is,Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises. For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second.
  • God's salvation by grace is faultles and more excellent than anything man can do.
  • You have your reasons and scripture and I have mine.
  • You believe is salvation by works and I believe in salvation by grace only!

Last edited:
Loyal
1. It would have been impossible for the thief to have been " baptized into Christ" since Jesus had not died and rose again yet. 2. He could not have been added to the body of Christ at this time for the same reason.

Yet both John the baptist and Jesus's disciples were baptizing many many people (we don't know exactly how many, but likely thousands or even tens of thousands ).
Why would they do this while Jesus was still alive?