• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Twitter and Social Networking: Is it worth it?

Staff Member
@ImDani, that's why I am here as well. To hopefully start somewhere to try and suggest (notice I said suggest and not force) some Christians to try and have an open mind about this world (and this includes mainstream science). But if they chose to continue on the path that they are leading, then that's fine too. Thanks to free will.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Romans 12:2

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

It is addictive
I've experienced this and I'm not a young person
How many likes do I have
Why does he/she get more than me
Why don't they like my photos
Don't we all go through that
So please read the posts by dannibear and Fragrant Grace
They are good advice
Keep God first

I remember becoming addicted as well. I would spend hours playing the Sims Social game on Facebook, constantly posting status updates, and I would keep a tab open on the internet to look at a notification as soon as I got one. I would rush home from school to keep up to date on what was going on. I soon realized that I had not had private time with God for a month. I hadn't read my Bible daily. I did not pray. I didn't even focus on church sermons as my mind was on the games and statuses of Facebook. I froze my account for a month, thinking that if I had missed a month with God, I would do the same for Facebook. I was glad I did so. After a week, I didn't even think about it. Now that my account is back on, I post about God to keep focused. I check it a couple times a day, and stay on it a maximum of 10 or 15 min. if I am not talking to a friend in a private message. I love the feeling of not being in bondage to something.

Staff Member
Where has childhood gone?

I recently had a Facebook friend invite from an old friend.
It was great to have some communication with her

But what struck me with some real concern and sadness was that her daughter who is just 12 has a Facebook page
She is a very beautiful young girl
But her photo's.....were all so glamorous and 'posing',
Lots of make-up and clothes that made her look like she was at least 18 and at a nightclub rather than a young school girl

Please forgive me I am not meaning to sound judgmental in anyway
But I was just struck with immense sadness
Where has innocent childhood gone?

It seems that playing with toys, dolls, running round in the park has been taken over by this electronic and competitive age
And our children are being lured into adulthood at such an early age

Facebook contributes to this hugely I believe.

O Lord grant us as parents wisdom and diligence in these matters.....that our children are protected from the lure of the world through social networking sites.

Before I say anything, I would like to say that I mean no offense, and I hope that none is taken.

I was so deeply disturbed by this post, I'm extremely appalled. The ten commandments weren't meant to be used that way. Those rules were not meant to be stretched in that manner.

While I also mean no disrespect to dannibear whom I adore, or anyone else participating in this thread....I am as deeply disturbed as you are ImDani.... Someone took it upon themselves to come down from a mountain and bring the new covenant body the Law of Moses ...more than two stones worth even....wow...maybe I am even more appalled upon seeing you chided for "writing from a very worldy perspective, defending things of the world" for rejecting these fresh laws.

It is not worldly to insist upon standing firmly upon the very freedom from the Law that Christ fought and died for. It is appalling that any preacher of this "good news" insist the follower of Christ wear a yoke that Christ removed from our backs with His own hands...and if they so refuse... to be told they are loving the things of the world.

I should not even need to elaborate on this point to those who claim to understand and embrace the gospel message.

Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

It makes it very very very difficult for any child of God to be led of the Spirit....should perhaps the Spirit say (for example) go to facebook and spend 40 years wandering around there...when they are surrounded by followers who insist the "Spirit" needs us to follow human rules and guidelines...not to mention human clocks and calendars. Who knows every Christian must live by a clock? Yea...it`s like that.

The wonderful amazing incredible unbelievable thing about the Spirit of God is...you just never know what strange ridiculous ludicrous thing He might ask you to do....

Come on church...be followers...and let the Holy Spirit do the leading...

Don't know if I should even post here (I am certainly no teen) but I just want to ask.......

Can you not be Godly and present Christ anywhere?

If you are not firmly grounded and commited to Christ, anything can become an idol, get in the way, rob time from God & etc.....
I have seen it with work, sports, hunting, fishing, family, friends and on and on

Staff Member
Don't know if I should even post here (I am certainly no teen) but I just want to ask.......

Can you not be Godly and present Christ anywhere?

If you are not firmly grounded and commited to Christ, anything can become an idol, get in the way, rob time from God & etc.....
I have seen it with work, sports, hunting, fishing, family, friends and on and on

Yes I agree revbrad, Christ can and should be glorified everywhere.....there are some beautiful FB pages that share the love of Jesus

Anything can become an idol, though if it has more place in the heart than Christ

Facebook quickly becomes addictive and hugely time consuming as some have mentioned on this thread

Facebook can be dangerously enticing to young lives......As mentioned previously I was so deeply saddened seeing my friends daughter aged 12 dressed and made up as a 'woman'. Surely this does not glorify the Lord in any way.

Whether therefore ye eat or drink or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of the Lord
1 Corinthians 10:31

@ImDani
You should learn to talk to people without throwing scripture at them. My friends know what I believe and I have not once thrown a scripture at them. It makes you look religious an uneducated. Unless you study your bible and know every verse I'm guessing that you searched those scriptures to back yourself up.

What I'm trying to do on TalkJesus is get you all to stopthrowing out scripture when it's not needed or necessary. The last scriptures really don't do anything for me but turn me off. It's actually one of my pet peeves. Try to be more open minded.

My family does not have internet (I am at a relatives writing this) and I have found that since being here I have had certain issues with using more time on the web than in other prosperous ways. How are we as young women to be doing good works if all our time is used up playing games and talking to the world about nothing in particular. The reason I am on this forum is because it is edifying, and it helps me know how to defend my faith. I have read my Bible a fair amount and all of the scripture that I quote God has reminded me of. I look it up so that it is properly quoted. Imdani, why are you peeved about the word of God? In John 1:1 it says,"In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." 2 "The same was in the beginning with God." I didn't look that up. Hope I quoted it correctly.

If the word "was God" then why did you say it is not "needed" or "necessary"? Maybe it would be good for you to do a study on the word of God-what the word of God does, what it is, who it is, and why He has given it to us. In Proverbs or Psalms it says, "Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against You." Watchman Nee wrote in the front of his Bible, "Reading this Book keeps me from sin. Sin keeps me from reading this Book." I have found it to be very true in my own life.

Sister I hope that you will begin to love His word, and the One who spoke it.

Love in Christ,
anya

Last edited by a moderator:
@_aaron

Greetings brother,

I have been against social networking too. I have heard toooooo many christians wish that they had never gotten FB. Furthermore, the stuff people post on there is garbage and filth. I've looked up some people a couple of times, and it was rather degrading just trying to get on their page. It was rather a mad dash trying to reach some safe things to look at. I mean the pics the world posts! If I were you I would stay away from it. Why take the risk?

As for needing friends. I have never had any, just because of where we live, and who lives near us. The Lord has sustained me and given me family to fellowship with. Do not seek to be friends with the world. I know how you feel about being lonely, but I have talked to people that are always on the net, and they are lonely too. In fact there people skills are terrible, and they have some of the hardest times actually making real friends. Read what it says about bad company in the Bible.

Too tell the truth I do not connect with young people very well because of their shallowness (you really get thinking deep when there are not a bunch of people to talk to. I like talking to the old people! In 2 Chr. 10:7-8 it says that Rehoboam took counsel of the old men, refused their counsel, and took the counsel of the young men that were brought up with him. The results: the kingdom was rent from him because of his harsh words. I'd advise you to seek godly men and women to be friends with-and if they are old, they will probably not be on FB!

Oh by the way, I heard that CIA does use FB for monitoring purposes. And just to clarify, I do not think that everyone's FB page is ungodly. I did reach some safe stuff to look at and read. :) I think this is a good place to have fellowship, if you seek to have fellowship online. And it is soooo interesting to participate in the forums-to search the scrupture to give an answer! AND there are no bad pics!!!!

Blessings,
anya

Having an account on Twitter or in Facebook isn't bad. That is how you use it, as a Christian, of course it is your duty to use it to honor God.. Right? :D

@_aaron

Hey!
So I wandered over to this post and I can see quite a discussion blossoming.
This is something that has been on my mind for a while as well. You see, I no longer use any social medias or even watch the news anymore. Yet, while doing this, I've found myself less connected to the world than I have ever been.
There are pros and cons to this:

Pros: I'm focused on God and what he has planned for my life and the lives of others. I read The Word more, worship more, pray more, and spend more time on the things of God than the things of the World.

Cons: I am unconnected to friends, family, and the World as a whole. I've found myself getting slightly aggrivated when my mother "informs" me of the daily disaster events from the news. I'd rather not listen to her rambling on about the recent car accident down the street.

I'm not meaning to say that I've lost all sympathy for the World, because as soon as I hear the words of some sort of disaster, I begin to pray, however, I know my aggrivated tone and actions should stopped.

I wondering about this as well, so thank you @_aaron for posting this forum for the recent discussions. I hope someone will respond to me, give any advise or correction!

Sincerely,
Your Confused Friend :baffle:

Hi,
I personally have a tumblr, Facebook and instagram and I don't think it is against God, as long as it does not come before God. For example if you start to go on Facebook at night instead of praying then I think it could begin to become a problem, but if it is only used on the side and not interfering with your relationship with God I believe it is okay. Now this is only my personal view and if it goes against scripture please correct me. Thank you.

Loyal
Peeps, talkjesus is social networking. It is fundamentally the same set up as Facebook etc, even if the values that set the tone may be very different.

At its most basic, social networking is simply a way of keeping in touch with people. It's neutral. What matters is not the channel of communication, but who we connect with and what we say. Twitter can be used to say "bless" or "curse" just the same as a telephone face-to-face conversation or a text message.