• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Trinity Passages Can you spot the trinity in each?

Active
We are all made up of three parts: spirit, soul and body. The spirit of man, also called the spirit of life or the
breath of life, is mentioned in the scriptures more than any other spirit. When Adam was created, he had the
spirit of life breathed into his body and he became a living soul (Genesis 2:7); he became spirit, soul and a
breathing body; three parts all wrapped up in one package. God gives breath and spirit to all the people on
the earth (Isaiah 42:5). Without the spirit of man, our bodies are lifeless (James 2:26). The spirit of man is
what drives our emotions, attitudes and reactions, causing us to do the sensible or silly things we do, and
feel the way we feel, both positive and negative. It makes us courageous or timid, willing or unwilling, a
leader or a follower. The spirit of man is our life and our breath. It is our being, our existence, our personality
and our character. It makes us who we are. It makes us, us. Identical twins are unique in that they are
identical copies of each other, but they have individual personalities and characters because they each have
an individual spirit of man formed within them from conception. The Lord forms the spirit of man within us
(Zechariah 12:1). The spirit of life leaves a child that is stillborn (Job 3:11). That shows us that the spirit of life
was already in the child before it was born; it was formed there at the moment of conception.

The spirit of man, or the spirit of life comes from God and enters the unborn baby in the womb of the
pregnant woman (Ecclesiastes 11:5) and returns to God on our death (Ecclesiastes 12:7). It is the spirit that
gives us life and is owned by God (1 Corinthians 6:20). The Lord is God of the spirits of all flesh (Numbers
27:16). Just before Jesus died, He committed His spirit to God (Luke 23:46). When Jesus died, He gave up
the spirit of life (John 19:30). When Stephen died, Jesus received his spirit (Acts 7:59). Jesus was put to
death in His human body, but He was made alive in the spirit. That left Jesus free to preach to people who
had died and whose spirits were in Hades, the waiting place of the dead that is also called a prison (1 Peter
3:18 & 19) so they could live for God in the spirit (1 Peter 4:6).

The spirit of life gives us health and makes us live (Isaiah 38:16).
God’s anger can make our spirit faint with terror (Isaiah 57:16; Ezekiel 21:7).
Our spirit rejoices in God (Luke 1:47) and Jesus rejoiced in God (Luke 10:21).
The most unusual of God’s recorded creations are the four living creatures mentioned in Ezekiel and
Revelation. Their spirit of life is in their wheels (Ezekiel 1:20 & 21).
Hunger and thirst can make the spirit faint (Psalm 107:5). Food and water can revive the spirit (Judges
15:19; 1 Samuel 30:12).
We do not have the power over our own spirit to retain the breath of life neither do we have the power over
the day of our death (Ecclesiastes 8:8).
Our spirit is alive because of the righteousness of Jesus living in us (Romans 8:10).
The Spirit of God testifies with our own spirit that we are the children of God (Romans 8:16).
When a person has been raised from the dead through prayer, their spirit returns from death (Luke 8:55).
It is our spirit that is saved from hell, or hades (1 Corinthians 5:5), which is the waiting place of the dead as
they wait for Judgement Day (Revelation 20:12 & 13).
It is the spirit that is tormented in hades. The dead person feels pain, heat, anguish, thirst, discomfort; they
can talk, reason and pray; they can still love their families and be concerned for them (Luke 16:23 to 31).
We have to control, rule and restrain our own spirit (Proverbs 16:32; 25:28) and it is the spirit within us that
constrains us (Job 32:18).
Only a person’s own spirit understands their own thoughts (1 Corinthians 2:11).
The spoken Word of God, written down for us in the scriptures are spirit and life (John 6:63).
When we pray in tongues, our spirit prays by the Holy Spirit within us (1 Corinthians 14:14) and the Holy
Spirit knows what to pray (Romans 8:26).
The spirit of a man sustains us in sickness and pain (Proverbs 18:14).
All of these verses show us our life comes from the spirit that God forms within us.

Even Jesus had the spirit of man or the spirit of life, and the following group of scriptures show us that we
feel emotion in our spirit, not in our soul as most people think and it is our emotions that react. Jesus
discerned in His spirit, or could sense that the scribes were questioning Him in their hearts (Mark 2:8).

If we look at that passage closely we see that God formed man from the dust of the earth. That seems pretty straight forward. Man is the dust of the earth. Then God did something else. He breathed the breath of lives into the man. The breath or spirit of lives is not man, it's God. God breathed something of Himself into the man. When He did that the man became a living soul. That passage states plainly that a living soul is the combination of the man and the breath of lives. So, two parts are joined together to form something new. Man isn't three parts, He's the dust of the earth. A living soul isn't three parts, it's two, the man and the breath of lives. The living soul is the totality of a person, not a part of the person.

How do we know that the Breath or spirit of lives is God and not man? From Scripture. we find this in Job.

14 If he set his heart upon man, if he gather unto himself his spirit and his breath;
15 All flesh shall perish together, and man shall turn again unto dust. (Job 34:14-15 KJV)

Notice it is God's breath or spirit. If He retrieves it all flesh will die and man will return to the dust. Again, man-dust.

We also have Ezekiel 37 and the valley of dry bones. After Ezekiel prophesies and the bone come together and flesh comes on them and breath comes into them they live. God gives the explanation of this vision and says it's about when He raises Israel from the grave. This is what He says.

13 And ye shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves,
14 And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD.
15 The word of the LORD came again unto me, saying, (Ezek. 37:13-15 KJV)

Notice what it is that makes them live. It is God's spirit or breath. Yes, man has a spirit or breath in him. But it's not man, it's God.

Please explain how man can consist of three parts when the Body is the man. It is the body that was made from the dust. How can, the man, the spirit, and the soul be three parts of the man? How can the man be a part of the man? If man is the totality, how can the totality be a part of the totality. If man is a part of man then man isn't the totality, he's a part. If that's the case then what is the totality?

The easiest way to look at it is to use a computer as an analogy. A person can build a computer. They get the best components. The can write the greatest operating system there is. But, until they apply electricity it's nothing more than a collection of parts. However, once electricity is applied to the computer it comes alive. It can do all kinds of things. It can produce all kinds of graphics. It can perform extensive mathematical computations etc. It can do all kinds of things as long as it has electricity. However, that electricity is not part of the computer. It is something that exists completely apart from the computer. But, the computer requires it to be able to function. So, the computer (parts) is the body, The electricity is God's breath or spirit of life, and the functioning computer is the soul. If we take the electricity away the functioning computer ceases to be. Likewise if God takes His breath or spirit from the soul, it ceases to exist. We're told that the breath or spirit returns to God. That leaves only the body which returns to dust. There is nothing left to live on after death. The soul ceased when it's component parts separated. The spirit or breath, which is God returns to Him and the body returns to the dust. Everything's accounted for

The reason people struggle with this is because they try to force a Greek concept onto the Scriptures and it just doesn't work. It was the Greeks who said that man was an immortal soul that lived on after the body died. That's not a Biblical concept, it's a Greek philosophical concept.

Loyal
The Bible / God's Word was given by Him / God. The Old Testament was written in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek. There's some Armaic mixed in. But it's God's Word -- Not Greek philosophy.

You're intellectualism is showing rather than believing/ trusting in God's Word.

You're trying to put God into a catagory that He's not meant to be put in.

Staff Member
Greetings Butch5,

I can see quite clearly what you have presented here although there are a couple of previous points made that I think should come under some investigation. But for now, as often is the case, we need to discover how what you submit can be understood complete when we likewise consider much of what fellow Member Admon Mikha'el @Admon Mikha'el presented, namely the many references in Scripture to "my Spirit " and "his Spirit ".

I would also like to address the point regarding the example of identical twins having unique character and personality, which is true for all. However, that may need to be separately considered unless there can be understanding through addressing the 'question' already raised.

I do think it is important to attempt to see how we are to equally appreciate both 'God's Spirit' and 'our Spirit' , knowing that all Scripture is equally true.

Bless you ....><>

Active
Greetings Butch5,

I can see quite clearly what you have presented here although there are a couple of previous points made that I think should come under some investigation. But for now, as often is the case, we need to discover how what you submit can be understood complete when we likewise consider much of what fellow Member Admon Mikha'el @Admon Mikha'el presented, namely the many references in Scripture to "my Spirit " and "his Spirit ".

I would also like to address the point regarding the example of identical twins having unique character and personality, which is true for all. However, that may need to be separately considered unless there can be understanding through addressing the 'question' already raised.

I do think it is important to attempt to see how we are to equally appreciate both 'God's Spirit' and 'our Spirit' , knowing that all Scripture is equally true.

Bless you ....><>
Hi Br. Bear,

Before considering both, my spirit and his spirit, I think we need to ask a few questions.
1. what is a spirit or breath? What exactly is that?
2. How many does a man have?
3. When was it put into man and where do we find this teaching in Scripture?
4. What is a man. Is he flesh or is he spirit?

I think there are others but these would be a good starting point. It's my contention that the spirit in man is the breath of life (lives) that comes from God. It's my contention that this spirit or breath of life (lives) is not human or man, but rather it something of God Himself. The word picture we're given is that of God breathing something out of Himself and into man. The Bible says God is spirit, or breath. If God is breath and He breathed something out of Himself into the man, it would seem that that which He breathed out is of God Himself.

I think one of the main questions we should ask is, what is a man? I believe this is foundational to the subject at hand. Our brother Admon Mika'el said this,

"We are all made up of three parts: spirit, soul and body. The spirit of man, also called the spirit of life or the
breath of life, is mentioned in the scriptures more than any other spirit. When Adam was created, he had the
spirit of life breathed into his body and he became a living soul (Genesis 2:7); he became spirit, soul and a
breathing body; three parts all wrapped up in one package."

What I would disagree with here is that man became spirit soul and body. I would agree that man became a living soul, but not that he became spirit. The man was created from the dust of the earth according to Gen 2:7. Moses records that God created man from the dust of the earth. Then he says that God breathed into the man, the breath of life. That indicates to me that man was completed before the Breath of life was breathed into him. However, the indication is that he wasn't alive. As I see it, this breath of life is what gave man life. I don't see this as a part of man. It is a part of a Living soul and man did become a living soul. Gen 2:7 tells us that the man and the breath of life became a living soul. However, because the man was created prior to and existed before being given the breath of life I submit that the breath of life is not the man but that which gives him life. How I would differ from the above statement would be that the living soul is the totality of a being, the body (man) and the breath of life together form something new, the soul. I don't see three parts. I see the soul as the whole person or living person composed of two parts. As I posted earlier, one of the problems I have with the above statement is understanding how the man can become body, soul and spirit, if the totality of man is these three parts and the body is man, how can man, the totality, be a part of itself? That doesn't make sense to me. If man is body, soul, and spirit, and the body is man, it would seem to me that man would be, man, soul, and spirit. In that case, man would be man, (body, soul, and spirit), soul, and spirit. I don't see how that can work.

Another question I would ask is, how many spirits? If there is a spirit in man that is man, and the breath of life is in man, that would indicate two spirits in man. Then the addition of the Holy Spirit would make three. I'm not aware of anything in Scripture that indicates two or three spirits in man other than when people were possess by demons. When I see Scripture mention the spirit in man, it's singular, not plural. Also, even when believers receive the Holy Spirit, I don't see a reference to three spirits in them. Now, if the spirit in man, the breath of life, was something of God we would only expect to see one spirit. The Holy Spirit not being a separate spirit but rather another aspect of God's spirit or breath.

I think another question also needs to be addressed, that is, what is a spirit? I think many believe a spirit is a living being. I think that's based on the idea that angels and demons are referred to as spirits. Also, in English when someone thinks of a spirit it's usually a disembodied living being. Is that what a spirit is? Is that what these Greek and Hebrew words mean? I'm not one for dictionaries much, but I know some are. So, here is Kittle's definition of pneuma. Kittle's along with BDAG are probably the two preeminent Lexicons available.

A. pneúma in the Greek World.
I. The Meaning of the Term.

1. Wind. From a root denoting vital force acting as a stream of air, pneúma first means wind both in its movement and its rarefied materiality. The wind may be stormy, or a normal wind, or a breeze, or even a vapor. It has an effect on climate, health, and character, and is seen as both natural and divine.
2. Breath. A second sense of pneúma is breath, inhaled and exhaled in breathing, and ranging from snorting to the fading breath. Poetically pneúma denotes the sound that human breath produces by blowing on flutes etc.
3. Life. Breath is a sign of life, and by way of the idea of the breath of life, pneúma comes to be used for life or living creature.
4. Soul. As the principle of life, pneúma means much the same as psychḗ. Bound to the body in life, it escapes it with the last breath and returns to the ethereal sphere.
5. Transferred Sense of Spirit. In a transferred sense pneúma is used for the spirit that blows in interpersonal relations. Thus it may denote the spirit of a city, or the influence of the gods or other people, of various forms of excitement.
6. pneúma and noús. In contrast to noús (mind), which resembles the calmer medium of light, pneúma (spirit) is a dynamic term suggesting the forceful movement of air that seizes us with elemental power and catches us up into tension or movement.
7. Mantic pneúma. In manticism and mantic poetry, pneúma is the spirit that stirs, enthuses, fills, and inspires (cf. priests, poets, and prophets). It may also denote lofty rhetorical speech, the captivating flow of the orator, etc.
8. Divine pneúma. Elemental and uncontrollable, pneúma is felt to be divine (e.g., in divine music). But there is in Greek no sense of a personal holy spirit. The divine spirit is immanent.
9. God and pneúma. In Stoicism pneúma is a cosmic power or substance, and as such it may be seen as the being or manifestation of deity itself.
10. Non-Greek Development of Meaning. Under Jewish and Christian influence there is a twofold development of meaning. On one side pneúma is severed from nature and personified as the active cosmological or soteriological Spirit or God. On the other it is materialized as a demonic magical force that magicians manipulate for good or ill.
Theological Dictionary of the New Testament: Abridged in One Volume.

The first mention of "spirit" is 5 which is a transferred sense. It's used of things like School spirit or team spirit. That's obviously not a living being. It's not until number 10 that we see spirit used of the spirit of God. We see that the word took on this meaning from Jewish and Christian influence. However, what we see is the word pneuma, or spirit, is being personified and applied to the spirit of God. Nowhere in here do we see the definition of a disembodied living being. Even when it's applied to God's spirit, we have to first assume God's spirit is a separate person before we could conclude that this personification of God's spirit refers to a separate living being. So, there is nothing here that would indicate a spirit is a disembodied living being.

I think the first definition is a good one to describe God's breath or spirit. It's a vital force. Wind is a vital force. Think about what wind does. It moves ships, it generates electricity, It pollinates plants, it distributes seeds etc. But it is a force. There is no such thing as stagnant wind. Air not moving is not wind. Imagine if there was no wind. I believe wind is a good metaphor for God's breath or spirit. It's a metaphor, God's wind or breath isn't literally air. But it is a vital force.

So, if this is correct, what is man's spirit? If spirit is a vital force, what is this vital force that is man? Where did this vital force, that is man, come from. Remember, God said to Adam, you are dust. And, He said that man is flesh

19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. (Gen. 3:19 KJV)

3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. (Gen. 6:3 KJV)

That's my question. If man is spirit what is he? If He is spirit, a vital force, where did this come from. And, why then does God say he is flesh? It doesn't seem to make sense. I think this whole idea that man is spirit is based off of the English definition and the idea that a spirit is a disembodied living being. I believe that's the idea behind the concept that some part of man lives on after death. This really shows how the understanding of just one word can truly change how we see things. If this one word can change this much, how much more the overall scheme of things. Imagine if there was this much difference in 5 words.

What about God's spirit? Well, we're told that it is the breath of life. So, it is the vital force that gives life. Was Moses saying that God put a living being in man? Well, we didn't find that definition in Kittle. If that's the case one would have to ask, what's the point of the body and why did God say man is flesh rather than man lives in flesh. A popular idea in Christianity is that man lives in flesh. By God said he "is" flesh. Moses said that God created man from the dust of the earth. If man is flesh and is a spirit, then that spirit had to be formed from the dust of the earth. Can we find anything like that in Scripture? I'm not aware of anything in Scripture that speaks of spirit being formed from dust.

Another question I would ask is, are there multiple spirits or are there different aspects of one spirit? In other words, is the spirit of wisdom a different living being than the spirit of prophesy? Or, are these two aspects of God's spirit? If the Spirit of God is a third person, what about the Spirit of Christ? Is that another person or is it the same Spirit of God? If we understand these as living beings we begin to create this whole hierarchy of living beings that apparently are God. However, If these are all just different aspects or traits of God's spirit then there is only one that is used for different reasons. When the angel appeared to Mary he told her that the Holy Spirit would come upon her and the power of the Highest would overshadow her. (On a side note, notice it's the power of the highest. How can there be a highest among three coequals?) The angel equates the Holy Spirit with the power of the Highest. So, we have two concepts here.

1. The Spirit of God is a third person distinct from the Father and Son.
2. The Spirit of God God is the power of God. A manifestation of the Father in some sense.

If the Holy Sprit is a third person then He is the father of Jesus since it was the Holy Spirit that impregnated Mary. If the Holy Spirit is the power of God, a manifestation of the Father, then the Father is the father of Jesus.

Jesus said that people would see Him sitting on the right hand of the Power of God. If the Holy Spirit is a third person then Jesus is sitting at the right hand of the Holy Spirit who is sitting on the throne. Where is the Father? If, however, the Holy Spirit is a manifestation of the Father then Jesus is sitting at the Father's right hand and the Father is on the throne.

If the Holy Spirit is a third person and man is a spirit then there are two living being inside of each believe. They are in effect sharing a body. Can we establish from Scripture that there are in fact two living beings in a believer? On the other hand, If the Holy Spirit is a manifestation of Father's power then we can understand that believers have been given another aspect of God's breath in addition to the breath of life. Believers have also been given the ability or power to live holy. We can look at it this way. God gave the spirit of wisdom to make people wise, so He gives the spirit of holiness to make them holy.

When the Lord has washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and purged the blood of Jerusalem from her midst, by the spirit of judgment and by the spirit of burning, (Isa. 4:4 NKJ)
5 In that day the LORD of hosts will be For a crown of glory and a diadem of beauty To the remnant of His people,
6 For a spirit of justice to him who sits in judgment, And for strength to those who turn back the battle at the gate.
(Isa. 28:5-6 NKJ)

Are these all different living beings coming from God or are these aspects of God's power? Remember, they're all ruach, the ruach of judgement, the ruach of burning, and the ruach of Justice. Here's another, Jesus gave John the Revelation and He said this,

Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God. (Rev. 2:1-7 KJV)

Jesus gave several warnings to the churches and he ended each saying, hear what the spirit says to the churches. Let's look at that. It's Jesus who is speaking. Yet, He says listen to what the Spirit says. So, who's speaking, Jesus, or the third person of the Trinity? Some might say, the Holy Spirit is speaking through Jesus or Jesus is speaking through the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Trinity. That could be possible except there's a problem. He says listen to what the Spirit says. So, the authority of the message is coming from the third person of the Trinity. However, John started with this statement.

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: (Rev. 1:1 KJV)

So John says the message is from God. Nearly all of the reference of god that refer to the God Israel are references to the Father. There are a few about the Son. I'm not aware of any that call the Holy Spirit God. It's called the Spirit of God, but I'm not aware of any passage that calls the Holy Spirit God. So, if, as John says, God gave Jesus the message and Jesus says listen to what the Spirit says, what does that indicate? Does it not indicate that the Father is the Spirit? Unless one can prove conclusively that the Spirit is a third person, I don't see how we can draw any other conclusion than the Spirit is the Father. But we can go even further. During His ministry Jesus said the words He spoke were not His, but the Father's. If Jesus spoke the words of the Father and God gave Him the message in Revelation, I don't see how we can conclude anything other than the Father is the Spirit.

I could go on but this is getting really long. Just to address the personality issue. I think our uniqueness comes from our different physicality's and our different life experiences. We all look different. Some are taller, shorter, heavier, lighter, have different color skin, the list goes on. I don't see any reason to think our brains wouldn't all be different also. I wouldn't think every child who is born has an identical brain. That would lead to the uniqueness we see. Also, I believe that our experiences early in live can tend to form who we are. A child who is bitten by a dog may grow up to fear dogs or a child who falls in the tub may grow up to fear water. I think there are many different things that affect what our personality is like. Even identical twins aren't truly identical. I once lived with a set of Identical twins and I could tell them apart as easily as anyone else. I think they too, are subject to the same differences that make everyone else different..

Staff Member
@Butch5

Greetings and thank you for taking the time to put all that together.

Can I try a crude paraphrase?

The LORD GOD Who is worthy to be praised , made man from gathered dust.
HE breathed Life into man which HE made.
HE has sent HIS Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish; that man should Live.

-----

Without dissecting what you wrote, and given what you did write, may i ask once more, how do we understand, "my Spirit" " his Spirit" "His Spirit", etc as we read in the Bible?

Bless you ....><>

Last edited:
Active
@Butch5

Greetings and thank you for taking the time to put all that together.

Can I try a crude paraphrase?

The LORD GOD Who is worthy to be praised , made man from gathered dust.
HE breathed Life into man which HE made.
HE has sent HIS Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish; that man should Live.

-----

Without dissecting what you wrote, and given what you did write, may i ask once more, how do we understand, "my Spirit" " his Spirit" "His Spirit", etc as we read in the Bible?

Bless you ....><>
Hi Br. Bear,

I assume since you capitalized Spirit you're referring to God and not man, I think, "my Spirit and "his/His Spirit" refer to a manifestation of God the Father in some form Luke called it the power of the Highest. I believe it is the power of God, but not just as a force but rather some manifestation of the Father Himself. Jesus said the Father was in Him. I believe He was referring to the Breath of Spirit that descended on Him at His baptism. The Scriptures say that God is spirit or breath. I believe this is a metaphor. I don't think God is literally wind or breath. That brings up the question, if it's a metaphor what is the metaphor of? Literally, what is God. We're not really told what God's substance is. I think His Spirit is the power of the Highest as Luke says and Jesus alludes to. But, I think it's more than just what we think of as power.

Staff Member
Greetings Brother,

The second part of your above reply is probably best as a thread of its own? Some Psalms help.

May i ask again but this time with 'spirit' instead of 'Spirit'?
For example, Romans 8:16 and 1Corinthians 2:11

The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.
Zechariah 12:1

Does a man possess as his own, that which God has given/breathed?

Thank you for engaging,

Bless you ....><>

Active
Greetings Brother,

The second part of your above reply is probably best as a thread of its own? Some Psalms help.

May i ask again but this time with 'spirit' instead of 'Spirit'?
For example, Romans 8:16 and 1Corinthians 2:11

The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.
Zechariah 12:1

Does a man possess as his own, that which God has given/breathed?

Thank you for engaging,

Bless you ....><>

Hi Br. Bear,

I would submit that the breath or spirit in man is the breath of life. Since, Neshamah, ruach, and pneuma, mean wind or breath, I would ask if man has one other than God's what is it and where does it come from? I see the spirit in man, man's spirit, etc. as names for the breath or spirit of life in him. Since God put His breath or spirit of life into each person, each person has a breath or spirit in them . If I have one and you have one, I might say, my spirit vs. your spirit to identify which person is being indicated. We find in Job that it is God's breath or spirit that gives man understanding.

But there is a spirit in man, And the breath of the Almighty gives him understanding. (Job 32:8 NKJ)

Ruach Neshamah

Notice in this passage we find that there is "A" spirit in man. It doesn't indicate multiple spirits, but rather a single spirit. Then it says the breath or spirit of the Almighty gives him understanding. So the spirit or breath in man is that of the Almighty. We saw that in Gen 2:7 God did put His breath in man. Thus I submit that the breath or spirit in man is that of God, not man.

2 See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah:
3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, (Exod. 31:2-3 KJV)

We see here that God called Bezleel and put His spirit or breath on him. Notice though that it one breath or spirit, it is singular. However, it has multiple qualities. They are wisdom, understanding, knowledge and workmanship. If we look at Luke's words that the Spirit is the power of the Highest, then God put the power of life, of wisdom, of understanding, of knowledge, and of workmanship on Bezaleel. It seems to me that these are all from the same spirit or breath that is in man.

@Alter2EgoIn the verse that @Dave L quoted from Matthew 1:20 in the entry that you were responding to,:-

- The angel of the Lord spoke the words of God to Joseph, - (God the Father)
- Reference is made to the the baby that Mary would conceive - (God the Son)
- That conception being of the Holy Ghost..- (God the Holy Spirit)

With respect to not acknowledge this is wilful blindness.
complete:

I appreciate your concern, but none of the scriptures in the opening post even suggest a trinity god. So while you are accusing me of "willful blindness," your explanation of Matthew 1:20 is merely your personal philosophy. Why do I say that? ANSWER: Matthew 1:20 does not use the expressions "God the Son" and "God the Holy Spirit."

Alter2Ego

"That people may know that you, whose name is JEHOVAH, you alone are the Most High over all the earth." ~ Psalms 83:18

If you do not believe in the trinity, you will not see it.
Admon Mikha'el:

Until someone can show me where the doctrine is explicitly found in scripture, I see no reason to believe in something that's not supported by God's inspired word, the Judeo-Christian Bible.

Alter2Ego

"That people may know that you, whose name is JEHOVAH, you alone are the Most High over all the earth." ~ Psalms 83:18

@Butch5 -- would like to insert a thought -- The existence of the trinity is Assumed as is the existence of God. The Godhead / trinity is eternal as are God the Father, Jesus Christ His Son and the Holy Spirit.

Those passage are from God's Word. God's Word is truth.

God's Word tells us in Matt. that the Holy Spirit came upon Mary and she conceived Jesus Christ. The 'legal' father of Jesus in the Jewish culture that He was born into was Joseph. His Real Father was the Holy Spirit. Well -- God the Father.
Sue D.:

You are comparing apples and oranges. The existence of Almighty God Jehovah is a fact that is supported by the existence of our fine-tuned universe. The universe demonstrates intelligent design, and intelligent design requires the deliberate intervention of an intelligent being aka God. That is a fact.

The existence of the trinity, meanwhile, cannot be assumed. Why not? Because the trinity doctrine us NOT supported by scripture.

The trinity doctrine did not show up in Christendom until the 3rd Century AD, some 300 years AFTER the last book of the Judeo-Christian Bible was written. None of Jesus' early disciples gave any indication that they believed in a trinity, and Jesus Christ himself DID NOT teach such a doctrine.

Alter2Ego

As a person takes time to read God's Word -- the trinity is not explained -- it is Assumed to exist by being seen in Scripture.

For instance, in Genesis 1:1 in the beginning God created....... vs 2 ....And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters." And then we have 1:26 "Then God said., Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness. That is the 1st evidence of the trinity. And looking at Matthew 28:19 "God therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in he name of the Father nd of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." That is the trinity.

Matthew 1:18 "Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows; After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph , before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit."
Sue D.:

At the time that Almighty God Jehovah spoke at Genesis 1:26, saying: "Let us make man in our image," there were already millions of angels in existence--all of whom were created by Jehovah. The reality is that the Almighty God was speaking to one of those angels--one of his spirit sons whom he created. That particular spirit son is identified throughout the New Testament/Greek Scriptures as Jesus Christ.

Matthew 28:19 doesn't do much for your claim that trinity is in the Bible. According to the context of that particular verse, Jesus is subservient to Jehovah the Father. According to the trinity doctrine, the Father, the Son, and the holy spirit are all supposed to be co-equal. The context at Matthew 28 says otherwise.

Alter2Ego

Loyal
complete:

I appreciate your concern, but none of the scriptures in the opening post even suggest a trinity god. So while you are accusing me of "willful blindness," your explanation of Matthew 1:20 is merely your personal philosophy. Why do I say that? ANSWER: Matthew 1:20 does not use the expressions "God the Son" and "God the Holy Spirit."

Alter2Ego

'But while he (Joseph) thought on these things,
behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto Him in a dream,
saying, Joseph, thou son of David,
fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife:
for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.'
(Mat 1:20)

Hello @Alter2Ego,

Please forgive me if I have offended you.

I am not seeking to defend the use of the word, 'Trinity', but I cannot deny the fact that God, Who is ONE is seen in operation as both, 'Father', 'Son' and 'Holy Spirit'.

God is Spirit

In the verse you refer to (quoted above) the angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph, and spoke the word of God to Him. In those Divine words spoken, reference is made to both 'that which is conceived' (The Lord Jesus Christ), and 'The Holy Ghost' through Whom conception was accomplished.

Three individual manifestations of God, yet One God:- through His Word, His Action and His Son.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

When we read from the Original Manuscripts

Mat 26:64 Jesus saith.............. I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting { ἐκ / EX - OUT OF } the right of power,

ἐκ = ek /
EX

The Greek word " EX " Means = A primary preposition denoting origin (the point whence motion or action proceeds), from, out (of place, time or cause; , from (among, forth out (from, of), (-out of ).

NEVER - NOT EVEN ONE SINGLE TIME - do we find Yahashua sitting
ON or AT the right of God. This simply does not exist in the manuscript.

Yahashua is always dwelling OUT OF and IN the right of God

OUT OF = ἐκ
EX and IN = EN the right of power

OUT OF = ἐκ
EX and IN = EN the right of the throne

OUT OF = ἐκ
EX and IN = EN the right of the Father

Rom 8:34 Christ
ἐν - - en " in the right of God, Who also maketh intercession for us.
Eph 1:20 Christ
is ἐν - - en " in his own right ἐν - - en " in the heavenly place.
Heb 12:2 Christ is set
ἐν - - en " in the right of the throne of God.
Heb 1:3 Christ. . . . . The express image of The Fathers confidence, . . . . Sat down -
- ἐν - - en " in the right of the Majesty ἐν - - en " in the high.
Heb 8:1 Christ is set
ἐν - - en " in the right of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens.
Heb 10:12 Jesus is forever sat down
ἐν - - en " in the right of God.
1Pe 3:22 Who is gone into heaven, And is
ἐν - - en " in the right of God.

NEVER EVEN ONCE - are the words
ON or AT used to describe Yahashua sitting or dwelling anywhere concerning God and his throne

Mat 26:64 ye see the Son of man sitting { ἐκ / EX - OUT OF } the right of power,

Trinitarians completely alter the entire narrative by deleting the Greek words that ALWAYS / ALWAYS say

OUT OF =
ἐκ EX and IN = EN ἐν

They literally insert their Trinity by replacing
IN and OUT - with AT and ON

This is a deliberate alteration and mistranslation CHANGE - based upon inserting and removing the original message and inserting a TRINITARIAN ideology into the passages.

This is exactly what the entire trinitarian religious system is all about - they go through the entire Bible changing words that are never changed in the rest of the translation -
THEY ONLY CHANGE THE WORDS PERTAINING TO THE TRINITARIAN FAITH SYSTEM, and then they revert back to correctly translating the words accurately - once their faith system has been inserted and implanted into the translation

And this is not just about the Trinity - Trinitarians go through changing everything EVERYTHING they need to conform to their entire faith system.

The Greek never once describes Yahashua in any other way - but existing IN and OUT OF God NOT EVEN ONCE.

- - Yahoshua says three things here about his identity.

i COME OUT FROM THE GOD -

i COME NOT ALSO FROM - OFF OF / OUT OF MYSELF -

i COME NEITHER MYSELF I - SENT -

Never is Yahashua described as being AT or ON the right of God - it is always without exception -

OUT OF = ἐκ EX and IN = ἐν EN

ἐκ EX and ἐν IN - do not mean AT or ON anywhere else in the entire Translation - unless Trinitarians are changing this to INSERT and REPLACE the meaning orbiting around their Trinity doctrine.

This is exactly what Trinitarians do in everything / EVERYTHING in the entire Bible that needs to be altered and changed to conform to their ideology.

Active
Admon Mikha'el:

Until someone can show me where the doctrine is explicitly found in scripture, I see no reason to believe in something that's not supported by God's inspired word, the Judeo-Christian Bible.

Alter2Ego

You have the freedom to do that.

Staff Member
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.
2Corinthians 13:14

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, so that you through His poverty might become rich.
2Corinthians 8:9

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Ephesians 2:8

So then, it does not depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.
Romans 9:16

Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
Jude 1:21

Active
' For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them;
even so the Son quickeneth whom He will.
For the Father judgeth no man,
but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father.
He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent Him.
Verily, verily, I say unto you,
He that heareth My word, and believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life,
and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.'

Praise His Holy Name!

I'm finished.
Thank you. Which scripture is that which says "all men shall honor the Son..."? I've been trying to put a bead on that one and have come up short.

Active
Thank you. Which scripture is that which says "all men shall honor the Son..."? I've been trying to put a bead on that one and have come up short.
John 5:20-23 For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him (Jesus) all things that He (God) Himself does; and He (God) will show Him (Jesus) greater works than these, that you may marvel.

23- that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

John 17:3 "And this is life eternal that they may know Thee (GOD) THE ONLY TRUE GOD, AND Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." 2 not 1, but in spirit 1.
1Co 6:17 But he who is joined to the Lord is ONE spirit with Him. As Jesus was baptized in the Holy Ghost without measure he qualifies to say that He and the Father are one,
but the meaning is IN SPIRIT. The same applies to all who have been baptized in the Holy Ghost. They are one with the Lord. Thus in spirit we and the Lord are one.

John 14:10 ...........The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does the works.

John 8:28 "Then Jesus said unto them, "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do NOTHING of MYSELF; but as MY FATHER TAUGHT ME, I speak these things."
John 8:26 "I have many things to say and to judge concerning you, but He (GOD) who sent Me (Jesus) is true; and I speak to the world those things which I heard from Him.

Matt 10:19 "But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be GIVEN you in that same hour WHAT YE SHALL SPEAK."
This is identical to what Jesus said He and the Father were doing. As the Father told Him what to say, He spoke.

Hope this helps.

Active
@Sampson2002

Yes...thank you. So how do you honor the Son just as the Father? I think Mathew 15:7-9 tells us how not to and John 4:24 tells us how to.