• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Tithing

What are thoughts on tithing? Is it a mandate to tithe pre-tax/deductions or post tax/deductions? I haven’t found anything in the Bible that is clear about this .
also, any testimonies on tithing?

Loyal
Give what ever you want to, there is no law for Christian giving, but we always are to consider the poor. There is no confusion in that. The simplicity in Christ. In Christ Jesus there is no bondage or chains Only men place bondage upon Christians!

PS if you think Christians are suppose to tithe, sorry my sister, you are in error and have been deceived. You can read with comprehension, read your Bible. Just as simple as that, read "The Book" not a page here and a page there. Post and stick. Simple, Read The Book.

Give what ever you want to, there is no law for Christian giving, but we always are to consider the poor. There is no confusion in that. The simplicity in Christ. In Christ Jesus there is no bondage or chains Only men place bondage upon Christians!

PS if you think Christians are suppose to tithe, sorry my sister, you are in error and have been deceived. You can read with comprehension, read your Bible. Just as simple as that, read "The Book" not a page here and a page there. Post and stick. Simple, Read The Book.

Yeah I Read the Bible with an open mind in study . I also prayEd about the concept of tithing as I went back and forth on it . I came to a strong conclusion that tithing is a mandate from God. I am not trying to debate the concept at this point though as I have studied it myself with a critical mind and scripture is clear we must tithe in addition to free will offerings. God blesses us when we do. Just like any mandate He gives us is for our good.

Active
Hi Jasmine1933,
I would like to see some New Testament scriptures to back up your claim for tithing, which doesn't exist in the Body of Christ.

Last edited:
Active
What are thoughts on tithing? Is it a mandate to tithe pre-tax/deductions or post tax/deductions? I haven’t found anything in the Bible that is clear about this .
I find it strange that many Christians seem to think that the old testament is no longer relevant, even though the whole history of our faith and the law of God are found there. Not to mention the books of wisdom and prophesy, perhaps it's just the scriptures that call us to share our wealth with God that causes people to remember that there is an old and new testament. In the book of Malachi, God accuses man of robbing him, and offers a deal. Fill his store house, and see if he doesn't pour out so much blessing that we will not be able to contain it. Then to press the point he challenges us to test him in this. I can't see why anyone would not wish to put him to the test and see if he doesn't, indeed, pour out his blessings. If he does, we receive abundant blessings, if not we've lost a few quid. It's a no brainer. Helen and I have tithed since the early nineties and we have been blessed beyond measure. No one will ever convince me that tithing, not only honours God, but also blesses many needy people. The blessings have been such that if we run out of tithes we'll use our own money where it is needed. We find that whatever we do, we are never left without our needs.

Active
Hi Trevor,
The old testament is relevant. But where did you find the information that " many Christians seem to think that the old testament is no longer relevant ". Where does that come from? The subject was tithing, which doesn't exist in outside of Jewish law. Giving out of abundance, giving to the poor, and servitude is what Christians do.

Active
Hi Trevor,
The old testament is relevant. But where did you find the information that " many Christians seem to think that the old testament is no longer relevant ". Where does that come from? The subject was tithing, which doesn't exist in outside of Jewish law. Giving out of abundance, giving to the poor, and servitude is what Christians do.
As for tithing Rockerduck, When I read the book of Malachi, God challenged me and I responded. As for the relevance of the old testament, it comes from many discussions over the past fifty or so years, with 'Christians,' who claim that we are under the new testament and no longer under the old and the subject being discussed that brought about the contrast, was usually tithing, many people really don't like parting with their money.

Active
Hi Trevor,
"with 'Christians,' who claim that we are under the new testament and no longer under the old"

Its not under the New Testament, we are under a New Covenant. Jesus came to fulfill the Mosaic covenant law and end it when Jesus said "it is finished." and the new covenant began when Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and then Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to indwell the believer and put us into the Body of Christ.

Active
Hi Trevor,
"with 'Christians,' who claim that we are under the new testament and no longer under the old"

Its not under the New Testament, we are under a New Covenant. Jesus came to fulfill the Mosaic covenant law and end it when Jesus said "it is finished." and the new covenant began when Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and then Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to
In that covenant Rockerduck, Jesus said: Matthew 5:18 KJV [/COLOR]For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all is fulfilled. From my understanding, all will be fulfilled when our Lord returns to rule. Until then, all things are not fulfilled. there are still people coming to faith who need to understand God, and his history is in the old testament. Sin cannot be understood without the law. Romans 7:7-25. The fall of man cannot be understood without the book of genesis. The anomalies of God, such as how he treated Adam and Eve after they disobeyed him in the garden; He made them clothes. How he put protection around Cain after he had murdered Able, How he blessed Abraham after he had lied to Pharaoh by telling him Sarah was his sister, How he blessed Jacob after he had stolen Esau's birth right, or David when he sent Uriah to die so that he could have Bathsheba. These accounts show a side of God that can't be found in the new testament Then there are the prophesies that explain the end times, so that we, who are in those end times can be shown what's coming. Not forgetting the wisdom found in Proverbs or the heart of God found in the psalms. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. Blessings.

Loyal
Hi Trevor,

Its not under the New Testament, we are under a New Covenant. Jesus came to fulfill the Mosaic covenant law and end it when Jesus said "it is finished." and the new covenant began when Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and then Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to indwell the believer and put us into the Body of Christ.
Rockerduck, there is no sense even discussing what a covenant is, and tithing, especially when Christians proclaims, the Bible teaches tithing for Christians and they proclaim they have read there Bibles with comprehension. It is a loosing battle! "For a little leaven has spoil the Whole lump"! [ Even the little bit that they had, that was right, has been spoil ]. For the whole has been "contaminated". Leave them unto themselves! So also teaches the "Holy Scripture"!

May the Lord continue to bless you, in the search among "The Holy Scripture" of The Living God!
Shalom, my faithful brother in Christ Jesus our Lord.:pensive:

Active
Rockerduck, there is no sense even discussing what a covenant is, and tithing, especially when Christians proclaims, the Bible teaches tithing for Christians and they proclaim they have read there Bibles with comprehension. It is a loosing battle! "For a little leaven has spoil the Whole lump"! [ Even the little bit that they had, that was right, has been spoil ]. For the whole has been "contaminated". Leave them unto themselves! So also teaches the "Holy Scripture"!
Or your twisted version of it Ploughboy.

Active
Hi Jasmine1933,
I would like to see some New Testament scriptures to back up your claim for tithing, which doesn't exist in the Body of Christ.
Are you saying Rockerduck, that a believer should not pay money to the church or to God?

Active
Hi Trevor,
Mathew 5:18 - or verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all is fulfilled.

Jesus said that knowing He was going to fulfill and end the Law of Moses on the Cross.

Active
Hi Trevor,
Mathew 5:18 - or verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all is fulfilled.

Jesus said that knowing He was going to fulfill and end the Law of Moses on the Cross.
That Rockerduck, is debateable.

Active
Hi Trevor,
If you read what I said a Christian should do, you would not ask me this. I said Christians should give out of their abundance and serve the Lord.

Active
Hi Trevor,
If you read what I said a Christian should do, you would not ask me this. I said Christians should give out of their abundance and serve the Lord.
Giving of their abundance to serve the Lord is called tithe Rockerduck. :confused:

Active
Hi Trevor,

Romans 10:1-4

1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Active
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
There are many that have yet to believe Rockerduck, Because you believe, are you going to deny others the scriptures that that you likely used yourself in your search?

Active
Hi Trevor,
"Giving of their abundance to serve the Lord is called tithe Rockerduck."

a tithe by definition is 10%, established by Abraham to Melchizedek Then established in Levitical law.
Leviticus 27:30 And all the tithe(10%) of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.

Active

Tithing was done away with when the New Testament went into effect when Jesus died.
The OT law was to tithe to the priests of Levitical descent.
When the priesthood changed there was of necessity a change in the law as the New High Priest was out of the tribe of Judah and there is nothing about
tithing to a priest out of the tribe of Judah.

Hebrews 7:11 "If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law), what further need was there that another priest
should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?"
12-" For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity also a change in the law."
13- "For He of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar."
14- "For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Judah............. "

When the Church was started they sold all they had and brought it together for the benefit of all. There was nothing to tithe as they gave everything to the common
good.
This does not seem to exist today, but to be deceived into giving anyone money because of OT law is incorrect.
Show me a levitical priest if you can. And then tell me if you are of any of the other tribes of Israel in the flesh?
Do we sacrifice animals for sins? As this is what a Levitical priest would do for you. NO! We believe Jesus was the final sacrifice for sin period.
Give to them that are in need, be it believers or non believers as all are children of the same Father. Some of us know but most do not.