• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Things that will keep you out of Heaven.

Loyal
First and foremost, you have to believe in Jesus. Without Jesus, no one goes to heaven.
So, everything else here, depends on that first. This is an absolute must. No way around this one.

There have been plenty of discussion about what believing in Jesus means here on TalkJesus.
Does it simply mean I believe there was a guy named Jesus who walked around 2,000 years ago?
Or does it mean more, does it mean believing He is the Son of God, that He died and rose again. That He lived a sinless life.
Does it mean following all the teachings that He taught as best you can?

The Bible says doing some things will keep you out of heaven. It doesn't matter if you say you believe in Jesus or not.
If you're doing these things, you need to stop, repent, or you won't enter heaven.. it really is that plain and simple.
You can be forgiven for all of these things if you quit doing them and repent. But you can't keep on doing them. Period.

1Cor 6:9; Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
1Cor 6:10; nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.
1Cor 6:11; Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

Fornicators - are you sleeping with your girlfriend, but you're not married? That's fornication.
Idolaters - Do you worship something, someone more than you love Jesus? That's idolatry.
Adulterers - Are you sleeping with someone else's spouse? Are you sleeping with someone else besides your spouse? That's adultery.
Effeminate - Do you act like a woman; do you dress like a woman?
Homosexuals - Are you sleeping with someone who is the same sex as yourself? That homosexuality.
Thieves - Are you stealing from people?
Drunkards - Do you get drunk frequently?
Swindlers - Do you take financial advantage of people? Do you con them, and give them useless things?

No one who is practicing these things will enter heaven. It doesn't matter if you believe in Jesus or not.
If you have done them, you can be forgiven. If you're doing them now, 'STOP' REPENT!! It's not too late.
You don't have to be perfect. But you cannot live a sinful lifestyle.

Gal 5:19; Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20; idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,
Gal 5:21; envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God

Some things on this second list and the same as the first list. sexual immorality (fornication, adultery, homosexuality) Idolatry, drunkenness.
But there are some other things listed here as well. Sorcery, this doesn't only mean practicing witchcraft, the word most commonly used for sorcery is ...

φαρμακεία
pharmakeia
far-mak-i'-ah
From G5332; medication (“pharmacy”), that is, (by extension) magic (literal or figurative): - sorcery, witchcraft.

This is where we get the word pharmacy. Now taking drugs for medical reasons is probably OK. But taking recreational mind-altering drugs is not.

Arguing, looking for trouble, causing disputes and strife between people. This is a pretty basic thing, how many of us have ever caused an argument or fight
because of something we've told people. Again, it doesn't matter if you believe in Jesus or not, if you're frequently doing these things, it can keep you out of heaven.
Verse 21 abovce says - Those who "practice" these things will not enter heaven. Again, you can be forgiven if you've done them. You can be forgiven if you're doing them now.
But you have to stop. This isn't an option, it isn't a debate, it's an absolute requirement. No excuses can be made.

Matt 5:19; "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Matt 5:20; "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus says if you try to bypass the commandments, and teach other's to do so (like the Pharisees) you will not enter heaven. People say the Pharisees were legalistic, and they were, but not because they followed the commandments, it was because they didn't.

Matt 15:3; And He answered and said to them, "Why do you yourselves transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition?
Matt 15:6; he is not to honor his father or his mother.' And by this you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition.
Mark 7:5; The Pharisees and the scribes *asked Him, "Why do Your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat their bread with impure hands?"
Mark 7:8; "Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men."
Mark 7:9; He was also saying to them, "You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition.
Mark 7:13; thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that."

Col 2:8; See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.

Jesus says unless you are more righteous than the Pharisees were, you will not enter heaven.

Matt 7:21; "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
Matt 7:22; "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
Matt 7:23; "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Jesus says, not everyone who believes in Jesus will enter heaven. That has to be one of the most sobering verses in the entire BIble.
For those who are practicing sin, iniquity, lawlessness, He is going to send them away, He is going to say, "Depart from me".

There is more. There are other verses I can't include here because this is getting to be a long post.
But the bottom line here is. You have to repent! You can't continue living a sinful lifestyle and expect to go to heaven.
If you stumble and mess up, you can be forgiven. There is love, mercy, grace and forgiveness. But you can't use these things as a license to sin.

Rom 6:1; What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?
Rom 6:2; May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?
Rom 6:12; Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts,
Rom 6:13; and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.
Rom 6:16; Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?
Rom 6:17; But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,
Rom 6:18; and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.

Peter says the same thing.

1Pet 4:1; Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,
1Pet 4:2; so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.
1Pet 4:3; For the time already past is sufficient for you to have carried out the desire of the Gentiles, having pursued a course of sensuality, lusts, drunkenness, carousing, drinking parties and abominable idolatries.
1Pet 4:4; In all this, they are surprised that you do not run with them into the same excesses of dissipation, and they malign you;

If you're a new Christian, there is grace. If you've known Jesus for a long time. It's time to change. The "time is already past sufficient for you". Your friends may make fun of you because you have quit
doing these things, but even so. You have to stop.

Loyal
Unbelievers are the "unrighteous"

The born again are the "made righteous".

Well, I agree with the first sentence.

But why weren't these believing demons made righteous?

Jas 2:19; You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder.

You can be a believer and not be born again.

Matt 7:21; "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
Matt 7:22; "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
Matt 7:23; "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Why weren't these believers made righteous?

Matt 25:26; "But his master answered and said to him, 'You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed.
Matt 25:27; 'Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest.
Matt 25:28; 'Therefore take away the talent from him, and give it to the one who has the ten talents.'
Matt 25:29; "For to everyone who has, more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away.
Matt 25:30; "Throw out the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Why wasn't the 3rd servant made righteous? The first two were told well done, good and faithful servant.
Luke 12:43; "Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes.
Luke 12:44; "Truly I say to you that he will put him in charge of all his possessions.
Luke 12:45; "But if that slave says in his heart, 'My master will be a long time in coming,' and begins to beat the slaves, both men and women, and to eat and drink and get drunk;
Luke 12:46; the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces, and assign him a place with the unbelievers.

Why was this believer assigned a place with the unbelievers?

Heb 6:4; For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
Heb 6:5; and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
Heb 6:6; and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

Even some people who have the Holy Spirit will be surprised.

Matt 5:20; "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

1Jn 3:7; Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous;
1Jn 3:8; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.

Active
But why weren't these believing demons made righteous?

Its because a "demon" can't be born again.

Demon's are not Human.
Angels are not Human.

Only a HUMAN, is this one..

"let us make MAN..... in OUR Image"..

So, neither Satan, nor his angels are human, so, they are disqualified from the "new birth"... and that is why they can BELIEVE but it won't help them.

Loyal
Angels are not Human.

True enough, but many of them won't go to hell.

Rev 3:5; 'He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

Active
True enough, but many of them won't go to hell.

Listnen

"Hell was created for the DEVIL..... and HIS Angels"

That does not exclude any of them, @B-A-C ,

Try using a NT, and get off the ONLINE Website cut and paste nonsense,.

Really.

Last edited:
Loyal
Who says Lucifer became the devil?
My bible says he was the king of Tyre

Ezek 28:7; Therefore, behold, I will bring strangers upon you, The most ruthless of the nations. And they will draw their swords Against the beauty of your wisdom And defile your splendor.
Ezek 28:8; 'They will bring you down to the pit, And you will die the death of those who are slain In the heart of the seas.
Ezek 28:9; 'Will you still say, "I am a god," In the presence of your slayer, Though you are a man and not God, In the hands of those who wound you?
Ezek 28:10; 'You will die the death of the uncircumcised By the hand of strangers, For I have spoken!' declares the Lord GOD!"'"
Ezek 28:11; Again the word of the LORD came to me saying,
Ezek 28:12; "Son of man, take up a lamentation over the king of Tyre and say to him, 'Thus says the Lord GOD, "You had the seal of perfection, Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
Ezek 28:13; "You were in Eden, the garden of God; Every precious stone was your covering: The ruby, the topaz and the diamond; The beryl, the onyx and the jasper; The lapis lazuli, the turquoise and the emerald; And the gold, the workmanship of your settings and sockets, Was in you. On the day that you were created They were prepared.
Ezek 28:14; "You were the anointed cherub who covers, And I placed you there. You were on the holy mountain of God; You walked in the midst of the stones of fire.
Ezek 28:15; "You were blameless in your ways From the day you were created Until unrighteousness was found in you.
Ezek 28:16; "By the abundance of your trade You were internally filled with violence, And you sinned; Therefore I have cast you as profane From the mountain of God. And I have destroyed you, O covering cherub, From the midst of the stones of fire.
Ezek 28:17; "Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty; You corrupted your wisdom by reason of your splendor. I cast you to the ground; I put you before kings, That they may see you.
Ezek 28:18; "By the multitude of your iniquities, In the unrighteousness of your trade You profaned your sanctuaries. Therefore I have brought fire from the midst of you; It has consumed you, And I have turned you to ashes on the earth In the eyes of all who see you.
Ezek 28:19; "All who know you among the peoples Are appalled at you; You have become terrified And you will cease to be forever."'"

Verses 14 and 16 say he is a cherub ( angel ). Verse 13 says he was in the Garden of Eden.

Luke 10:18; And He said to them, "I was watching Satan fall from heaven like lightning.
Rev 12:9; And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

Isa 14:12; How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
Isa 14:13; For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
Isa 14:14; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
Isa 14:15; Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

Active
Who says Lucifer became the devil?

Do you know who Pether the Apostle is, in the NT?

He said this....>"your adversary THE DEVIL"... 1 Peter 5:8

or this verse.

"Hell was created for THE DEVIL and His angels"... Matthew 25:41

Active
Those passages aren't about "all" angels, only the ones who rebelled against God.

"fallen angels" who followed Lucifer, just before they were cast out of Heaven.
The NT says it was 30% .. so that's a lot.

Active
Do you know who Pether the Apostle is, in the NT?

He said this....>"your adversary THE DEVIL"... 1 Peter 5:8

or this verse.

"Hell was created for THE DEVIL and His angels"... Matthew 25:41

I am not questioning that.
I simply asked,where does scripture say Lucifer is Satan?
Was he the king of Tyre as scripture says,or does scripture lie?
Simple honest question I think

Active
"fallen angels" who followed Lucifer, just before they were cast out of Heaven.
The NT says it was 30% .. so that's a lot.

The Bible speaks of religious leaders as being angels.
What if it was one third of those that fell? I don’t know how many would make a third,but Chiaphus(?)would be one.
And other religious rulers.
Just a thought

Active
I am not questioning that.

In Heaven, you have LUCIFER the "anointed Cherub".

What is that? Its a high rank of "heavenly host"... and where can you find one?

You can find 2 of them on any "Ark of the Covenant"..

So....

Jesus said...>"i beheld SATAN as Lighting , fall from Heaven"

So, its found in Jesus's mouth as Lucifer's new Name/Title. ( It means Devil).
-
-

Active
In Heaven, you have LUCIFER the "anointed Cherub".

What is that? Its a high rank of "heavenly host"... and where can you find one?

You can find 2 of them on any "Ark of the Covenant"..

So....

Jesus said...>"i beheld SATAN as Lighting , fall from Heaven"

So, its found in Jesus's mouth as Lucifer's new Name/Title. ( It means Devil).
-
-

What verse calls Lucifer Satan?

There are none. The ONLY verse that mentions the name Lucifer,calls him king of Tyre. No where does it call him SATAN.

Active
There are none. The ONLY verse that mentions the name Lucifer,calls him king of Tyre. No where does it call him SATAN.

You'll need a NT.

Luke 10:17-18

17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.

18: And Jesus said to them, I beheld SATAN as lightning fall from Heaven​