• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The Sleep of Death in Sheol, the Two Resurrections, and the Lake of Fire Judgment

Death is like sleep, and just like the passing of time feels quick from the moment of sleep to the moment of waking up, that is how it is from death to the moment of resurrection, even if thousands of years had passed. And this is why the dead are said to be "sleeping" in accordance to scripture.

Gehenna, otherwise called "Hell", is a literal place, that does not yet exist, but will come into existence from the time of the second coming of Jesus Christ to the time that the thousand year ruler of Jesus Christ expires, and that is why this fire is called unquenchable, and also aeonial, because it burns for one aeon. And the reason it burns so long, as opposed to an ordinary fire that burns out after it consumes something, is because this fire will be a lava lake, hence "lake of fire", since a steady lava flow does not quench.

Whoever is thrown into this fire will die a painful death by being burned alive, and will cease to exist, because this fire destroys both body and soul.

Because Gehenna will be a lava lake is also why worms will not die in this particular type of fire, because since lava has such high viscosity, dead bodies will float on the surface, and not sink, where worms will then feed on bodies on the surface without dying. And because this fire kills whoever is thrown into it, is why Isaiah speaks of this same place Jesus spoke of, saying, "and men will see the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me, where their fire is not quenched nor their worm dies". And since this is a place that will be visibly seen by men, it will be a place that will exist on the surface of the earth where it can be seen by men.

Even angels that are thrown into this fire will die, hence "I said, you are gods, sons of the most high, but you will die like men" and "you were a cherub, and you were in the garden of Eden, but I made fire come out from you, and it consumed you, and you shall be no more".

After this fire has consumed all the wicked, they will become merely "ashes beneath the feet" of the righteous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyal
Hell is not the lake of fire. Hell is a temporary place. The lake of fire is eternal. In fact Hades is eventually cast into the Lake of Fire.

Rev 20:13; And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds.
Rev 20:14; Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
Rev 20:15; And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Hell is not the lake of fire. Hell is a temporary place. The lake of fire is eternal. In fact Hades is eventually cast into the Lake of Fire.

Rev 20:13; And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds.
Rev 20:14; Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
Rev 20:15; And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

The lake of fire is not eternal, for this very earth will eventually cease to exist, which includes the lake of fire. And a new heavens and new earth will be created, where suffering will no longer exist, which again, includes the lake of fire becoming a former thing.

Do you have any scripture to support this?

Of course. Suffering will no longer exist,

He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." (Revelation 21:4 [NIV])

Heaven and earth will cease to exist,

Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. (Revelation 20:11 [NIV])

And the lake of fire is aeonial, NOT eternal,

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the aeonial* fire… (Matthew 25:41 [MODIFIED-NIV])*

And you can research the etymology of the Greek word aionos (which is often times incorrectly translated as "eternal" in English) here Strong's Greek: 166. αἰώνιος (aiónios) -- agelong, eternal "partaking of the character of that which lasts for an age", which is based on the Greek word aion, which means aeon (English word), a time with beginning and an end. So the adjective of aeon would be aeonial, which means lasting for aeons, just as something weeklong lasts for weeks, or something monthlong lasts for months. And the reason this fire is aeonial is because it burns for one aeon, in the aeon of the thousand year rulership of Jesus Christ.

Loyal
aionios
Strongs - perpetual, eternal, forever, everlasting
Thayers - without beginning, without end, that which has always been and always will be, without end, never to cease, everlasting.

Jude 1:7; just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.
Rev 20:10; And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

The word in Revelation is aion.
Strongs - forever
Thayers - forever, perpetual, eternal, period of time, age.

Loyal
in the aeon of the thousand year rulership of Jesus Christ.

Of course you know Satan is released from the pit (not the lake of fire) after the thousand years, "for a season"
(however long that is) and builds up an army numbered "like the sand of the seashore" after the thousand year reign.

Rev 20:7; When the thousand years are completed, Satan will be released from his prison,
Rev 20:8; and will come out to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together for the war; the number of them is like the sand of the seashore.

aionios
Strongs - perpetual, eternal, forever, everlasting
Thayers - without beginning, without end, that which has always been and always will be, without end, never to cease, everlasting.

Jude 1:7; just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.
Rev 20:10; And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

The word in Revelation is aion.
Strongs - forever
Thayers - forever, perpetual, eternal, period of time, age.

Clearly the fire at Sodom and Gomorrah ended, so the fire was not eternal, but indeed aeonial, because it continued burning for a long time, which coincides with the passage where "fire and brimstone" rained on the city, and if you know about lava and brimstone, then you will know it takes a very long time to completely cool. The kind of destruction faced by Sodom and Gomorrah was complete and utter annihilation, to where the cities could not be rebuilt because fire continued to burn. Not only is eternal is a mistranslation, but also "forever and ever", as the correct rendering should be "until the aeons of the aeons". The aeons of the aeons commences at the new heaven and new earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyal
The lake of fire is not eternal, for this very earth will eventually cease to exist, which includes the lake of fire. And a new heavens and new earth will be created, where suffering will no longer exist, which again, includes the lake of fire becoming a former thing.

Let's see how this statement of yours stacks up against the Written Word Of God.....
Revelation 20:10
And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

It seems then the Holy Spirit the author of this has no idea that forever and ever is temporary. Now we know that ain't true.

Blessings
W4F. Edit Add In . My Apologies @B-A-C I replied before I read down and saw you had already posted this scripture

Let's see how this statement of yours stacks up against the Written Word Of God.....
Revelation 20:10
And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

It seems then the Holy Spirit the author of this has no idea that forever and ever is temporary. Now we know that ain't true.

Blessings
W4F. Edit Add In . My Apologies @B-A-C I replied before I read down and saw you had already posted this scripture

Clearly you have not read from the original manuscript to see that "forever and ever" is a mistranslation of the word aions, which should be rendered "until the aeons of the aeons", which start at the new heaven and new earth.

Active
Whenever someone posts an idea thats contrary to the Bible, they will claim the Bible was mistranslated.

Uh..

Whenever someone posts an idea thats contrary to the Bible, they will claim the Bible was mistranslated.

Uh..

And whenever someone posts an idea contrary to what they've been taught, they will automatically say they're wrong, because they are seared shut, even though ample scriptures and evidence are shown proving to the contrary.

Loyal
And whenever someone posts an idea contrary to what they've been taught, they will automatically say they're wrong, because they are seared shut, even though ample scriptures and evidence are shown proving to the contrary.

And Scripture says test the Spirit and not their doctrine.

If they bring strife then they are not walking within the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit is not going to be apart of those who push their views and are always right.

So it's easy to see what spirit many are influenced by.
Blessings
W4F

Loyal
Clearly you have not read from the original manuscript to see that "forever and ever" is a mistranslation of the word aions, which should be rendered "until the aeons of the aeons", which start at the new heaven and new earth.

And Hasatan, the one deceiving them, was cast into the Agam HaEish (fire) and gofrit (sulfur), where both the Chayyah [Anti-Moshiach] and the Navi Sheker (False Prophet) were, and they will be tormented yomam v’lailah l’Olemei Olamim (day and night forever and ever).

and the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where [are] the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night -- to the ages of the ages.

Then the devil who had led them astray [deceiving and seducing them] was hurled into the fiery lake of burning brimstone, where the beast and false prophet were; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever (through the ages of the ages).

The Holy Spirit is not going to be apart of those who push their views and are always right.

Blessings
W4F

Maybe its you who is bringing strife and not I. I am here bringing truth and sound doctrine, for the benefit of readers, and you are the one that is calling the truth that has been spoken a lie, and are accusing me of not walking in the Spirit. This is no different than when the Pharisees accused Jesus Christ of having a demon, and he warned of blaspheming against the holy spirit. Measure your words carefully child.

Loyal
@christiang

Ok Friend let's see how this has gone.
@Lanolin said

Uh..

Then you Friend quickly retorted..
and whenever someone posts an idea contrary to what they've been taught, they will automatically say they're wrong, because they are seared shut, even though ample scriptures and evidence are shown proving to the contrary.

Then I said....

Blessings
W4F

Then you post another quick retort

Maybe its you who is bringing strife and not I. I am here bringing truth and sound doctrine, for the benefit of readers, and you are the one that is calling the truth that has been spoken a lie, and are accusing me of not walking in the Spirit. This is no different than when the Pharisees accused Jesus Christ of having a demon, and he warned of blaspheming against the holy spirit. Measure your words carefully child.

OK Friend,
As you can see A Sister made a reply and then you and then I added to it.

Now then Friend please tell me and everyone else here where I implied this was you? Show where I put you in this? Simply quoting you Friend and using words such as THEY and MANY had not included you as such said topic of the subject matter of my reply.

So Perhaps you yourself got offended and you your self decided to think and say this was ALL about you.

Now then......Now I am asking you what spirit your last reply to me is influenced by.

Blessings
W4F

@christiang

Ok Friend let's see how this has gone.
@Lanolin said

Uh..

Then you Friend quickly retorted..
and whenever someone posts an idea contrary to what they've been taught, they will automatically say they're wrong, because they are seared shut, even though ample scriptures and evidence are shown proving to the contrary.

Then I said....

Blessings
W4F

Then you post another quick retort

OK Friend,
As you can see A Sister made a reply and then you and then I added to it.

Now then Friend please tell me and everyone else here where I implied this was you? Show where I put you in this? Simply quoting you Friend and using words such as THEY and MANY had not included you as such said topic of the subject matter of my reply.

So Perhaps you yourself got offended and you your self decided to think and say this was ALL about you.

Now then......Now I am asking you what spirit your last reply to me is influenced by.

Blessings
W4F

Then if you weren't speaking to me then there should be no reason for concern, right? Unless of course you are trying to be subtle about it, and being like those who crack a joke they really meant, but when someone gets offended, they say, "I was only kidding!".

Loyal
Then if you weren't speaking to me then there should be no reason for concern, right? Unless of course you are trying to be subtle about it, and being like those who crack a joke they really meant, but when someone gets offended, they say, "I was only kidding!".

Ya know there is yet another.
I simply added something to the conversation that went along with it.
That is still the way forums work isn't it? Now that Friend was being funny.
Have a great day
Blessings
W4F

Staff Member
@christiang @Wired 4 Fishen
Dear Brothers,

Let's always discuss even in disagreement with the knowledge that we are talking with those who if not Brothers in Christ Jesus, are surely ones our Lord died for.

I have yet to find eschatology a topic that has found two that agreed in total with whatever topic in this area was being discussed. With that in mind, let scripture be our voice and the unnecessary byplay set aside.

If an impasse is found to exist. Then leave it there and take it no further. Leave it in peace and a love for one another whom as I said before, our Lord died for.

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:12-13

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
Suggesting that the word, "aionios" does NOT mean "eternal, with no end", is not a smart conclusion. If aionios does not mean eternal then the Holy Spirit is NOT eternal as it is spoken of here.

Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal (aionios") Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

If eternal life does not mean eternal life than at one point our salvation will come to an end!! The lake of fire will continue on even after the New Heaven, and new earth are here!!!

Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
Isa 66:24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.