• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The Nature of Temptations

Loyal

When I was very young in the Lord, I knew Jesus was God in the flesh. Then I discovered this verse.

James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for GOD CANNOT BE TEMPTED WITH EVIL, neither tempteth he any man:

I thought, “how could Jesus be tempted if he was God, for God can not be tempted with evil?”

Later, the Lord taught me how that was possible. This scripture is very important to understand, because it sheds light about many things.

1Cor 10:13 THERE HATH NO TEMPTATION TAKEN YOU BUT SUCH AS IS COMMON TO MAN: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

All temptation comes to the part of man that is “common” to man. What does all men have in common to each other? All men have a “HUMAN NATURE”, but no all men have a “DIVINE NATURE”.
Only born again children of God have the divine nature in them, which is Christ him self in us.

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet NOT I, BUT CHRIST LIVETH IN ME: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

The divine nature of man which is Christ in us, can never be tempted to sin, nor can he sin!!

1John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God DOTH NOT COMMIT SIN; for his seed remaineth in him: and HE CANNOT SIN, because he is born of God.

Even though Christ in us, who happens to be our new life, can never sin, the human nature of man can!!! When a man/woman becomes born again they received a new heart (spirit), not a new body. The fleshly body is still corrupt with sin in the flesh. The Apostle Paul describes this in the book of Romans.

Rom 7:18 FOR I KNOW THAT IN ME (THAT IS, IN MY FLESH,) DWELLETH NO GOOD THING: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, IT IS NO MORE I THAT DO IT, BUT SIN THAT DWELLETH IN ME.

After Jesus was baptized by John, he was led by the Holy Spirit into the desert to be tempted of the Devil. Jesus fasted for 40 days, and nights, and the scripture says, “ ….”Jesus was hungry....”
The divine nature of Jesus who was God the Father in him could not be tempted with evil, but Jesus's human nature could. The bible tells us something very important about the “NATURE” of temptations.

James 1:14 But EVERY MAN IS TEMPTED, WHEN HE IS DRAWN AWAY OF HIS OWN LUST, and enticed.

The word, “LUST” simply means, “A STRONG DESIRE”. Jesus, after not eating for 40 days, had a “STRONG DESIRE” to eat!! Jesus was tempted in his human nature to eat food. His divine nature does not need to eat food to sustain it's life, but for the human nature to stay alive it needs food!!!

Mat 4:3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, COMMAND THAT THESE STONES BE MADE BREAD.

The other two temptations came as a result that Jesus's "strong desire" to proof he was the son, but not by casting himself down so his angels would bear him up, but by the works his Father would do through him by many miracles.

The last temptation would come because Jesus's "strong desire" to destroy,and recover what Adam had lost in the garden of Eden, not by worshiping the Devil, but through his cross!!

The nature of temptation(s) we experience in this life is the results that come from our own STRONG DESIRES, and as a result of those strong desires the Devil entices us to sin!!!

How would a Christian stop these temptations that come from within our self's (human nature)?

Gal 5:16 This I say then, WALK IN THE SPIRIT, AND YE SHALL NOT FULFIL THE LUST (strong desires) OF THE FLESH.

Loyal
Being armed with this kind of understanding we can see exactly why Adam, and Eve were tempted. The Lord God told Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree in the mist of the Garden. The tree of the knowledge of good, and evil.
What did they do?

They were found both standing right in front of the tree God commanded not to eat from.

Gen 3:6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate.

James 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust (strong desire), and enticed.

They both "desired" (strong desire) for it's fruit to make them wise, and their desire (strong desire) to eat from what was forbidden!!!

Because of their strong desire they were "enticed" by the serpent to disobey what they knew not to do!!!

We might think it was the serpents fault why they were tempted, but in reality it get began from within them self!!

When I was very young in the Lord, I knew Jesus was God in the flesh. Then I discovered this verse.

James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for GOD CANNOT BE TEMPTED WITH EVIL, neither tempteth he any man:

I thought, “how could Jesus be tempted if he was God, for God can not be tempted with evil?”

Later, the Lord taught me how that was possible. This scripture is very important to understand, because it sheds light about many things.

That verse has nothing to do with Jesus being God or being tempted. He is not the subject of the one who does the tempting.

Neither do I understand this...
The divine nature of man which is Christ in us, can never be tempted to sin, nor can he sin!!

Because scripture clearly states that Christ WAS tempted. Not that this is a big deal, just maybe a misunderstanding.

Sometimes the bible appears contradictory. But if really look at the grammar of the text it does not.

1John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God DOTH NOT COMMIT SIN; for his seed remaineth in him: and HE CANNOT SIN, because he is born of God.

We know that Christians do commit sin. To say we don't we deceive ourselves. The tense of the verb in this passage suggest a continual practice of sin. This is another one of those verses Atheist use to debunk Christianity because we know every Christian CAN and does sin.
We might think it was the serpents fault why they were tempted, but in reality it get began from within them self!!

I have to disagree with that. The temptation began with the serpent. I just can't see how their temptation to sin began within them. If there was no serpent who lied to Eve twice enticing her to sin, they likely would not have been tempted to sin if the serpent had no lied to Eve, Eve would not as a result tempted Adam.

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

I guess we all see these things differently.

Active

We know that Christians do commit sin. To say we don't we deceive ourselves. The tense of the verb in this passage suggest a continual practice of sin. This is another one of those verses Atheist use to debunk Christianity because we know every Christian CAN and does sin.
Those are posers and not Christians.
Your thesis denies the very verse you posted.

So much for the atheists POV.

Those are posers and not Christians.
Your thesis denies the very verse you posted.

So much for the atheists POV.
If they are posers, then we are all lost, and the bible is contradictory. We must look at this objectively otherwise we fool ourselves.

The Atheists are smarter than you think. Have you ever debated with one? They pose serious and legit questions that quite often Christians can't answer.

So take a look. This is an obvious contradiction....

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

The verb "commit' indicates someone who 'practices' sin...habitual sin. Not someone who occasionally falls. To say otherwise contradicts the Word.

Commit means, "missing the mark." We all strive toward that mark, but sometimes we fail.

Click the link below

equivalent to 264
  1. to be without a share in

2. to miss the mark

3. to err, be mistaken

4. to miss or wander from the path of uprightness and honour, to do or go wrong

5. to wander from the law of God, violate God's law, sin

Active

If we define sin as wrongdoing, then yes, we are sinners.

But, if we define sin as doing something worthy of death, No. Wages of sin is death, so anything resulting in us receiving death, is sin?

OSAS believers have to then believe we cannot 'sin' in the sense of deserving death. Non OSAS believers would be on a scale of sin and repentance I guess. Say, mortal sins = sin worthy of death?

As an OSAS believer I believe we are covered by Jesus. Due to us accepting Jesus Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. Accepting Jesus enables us to escape death. Jesus + wrongdoing = life not death. So, with Jesus we can never sin.

A mystery to Christianity is grasping Jesus + wrongdoing = life. To grasp this we need to look at examples like family, someone taking a bullet for us, depth of heart intent. As God calls us His bride, children, speaks of judging our hearts Jer 17:9 and Jesus says we must lay our lives down Matt 16:24.

Can a child sin? A child stealing something in our house is on par with a thief breaking in and stealing?
Will someone who took a bullet for us ever be unwelcome in our house if they were caught stealing a cookie from the cookie jar?
Do we hand out the same sentence to a thief who stole one corn from a cornfield to feed his hungry family as a thief who stole the life savings of an elderly person?

I have to disagree with that. The temptation began with the serpent. I just can't see how their temptation to sin began within them. If there was no serpent who lied to Eve twice enticing her to sin, they likely would not have been tempted to sin if the serpent had no lied to Eve, Eve would not as a result tempted Adam.

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Would Adam and Eve have sinned if there was no serpent? The serpent sped up their fall. He was never solely responsible for it.

Would Adam and Eve have sinned if there was no serpent? The serpent sped up their fall. He was never solely responsible for it.

It sounds like what you're saying is that they would have fallen anyway...one way or another, and there's no proof of that. I'm not saying the serpent was solely responsible, but that his enticement was the catalyst that moved Eve to sin, and ultimately Eve enticed Adam to sin. Kind of a chain reaction.

Here's a good one...

I'm convinced that there are trillions of planets with people on them like this one. There are only a few possibilities.
1. They all fell. We know ours did so we cannot say NONE fell.
2. Only some fell. It is possible that some 'earths' did NOT fall, therefore, did not require a Savior. We don't know. My point is we can't blame the fall only on the serpent, and we can't blame it only on humans.

Loyal

Rom 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Christians do sin, but it is not from their re birthed spirit which is Christ himself in them.

Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Loyal
I have to disagree with that. The temptation began with the serpent.

It only appeared that the temptation started with the serpent, until later in the verse that we find Adam, and Eve were standing right in front of, looking at, and desiring what was forbidden, which was the genesis of their temptation.

Loyal
The divine nature of man which is Christ in us, can never be tempted to sin, nor can he sin!! Because scripture clearly states that Christ WAS tempted. Not that this is a big deal, just maybe a misunderstanding.

Jesus referred to himself as "the son of man", but he also was, "the Son of God" The man part of Jesus could be "tempted", the God part could not be "tempted"

Rom 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Christians do sin, but it is not from their re birthed spirit which is Christ himself in them.

Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

That's correct, and pretty much what I've been alluding to all along. We will always have the propensity to sin living n the flesh.

Jesus referred to himself as "the son of man", but he also was, "the Son of God" The man part of Jesus could be "tempted", the God part could not be "tempted"
One verse does say God cannot be tempted. So then the question becomes, "is Jesus fully God" which in my view Jesus is NOT fully God. He said so himself! We know that we can sin even with Christ in us. He is NOT "God the Son."

1Cor 10:13 THERE HATH NO TEMPTATION TAKEN YOU BUT SUCH AS IS COMMON TO MAN: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

All temptation comes to the part of man that is “common” to man. What does all men have in common to each other? All men have a “HUMAN NATURE”, but no all men have a “DIVINE NATURE”.
Only born again children of God have the divine nature in them, which is Christ him self in us.

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet NOT I, BUT CHRIST LIVETH IN ME: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Even though Christ in us, who happens to be our new life, can never sin, the human nature of man can!!! When a man/woman becomes born again they received a new heart (spirit), not a new body. The fleshly body is still corrupt with sin in the flesh. The Apostle Paul describes this in the book of Romans.

Rom 7:18 FOR I KNOW THAT IN ME (THAT IS, IN MY FLESH,) DWELLETH NO GOOD THING: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, IT IS NO MORE I THAT DO IT, BUT SIN THAT DWELLETH IN ME.

After Jesus was baptized by John, he was led by the Holy Spirit into the desert to be tempted of the Devil. Jesus fasted for 40 days, and nights, and the scripture says, “ ….”Jesus was hungry....”
The divine nature of Jesus who was God the Father in him could not be tempted with evil, but Jesus's human nature could. The bible tells us something very important about the “NATURE” of temptations.

James 1:14 But EVERY MAN IS TEMPTED, WHEN HE IS DRAWN AWAY OF HIS OWN LUST, and enticed.

The word, “LUST” simply means, “A STRONG DESIRE”. Jesus, after not eating for 40 days, had a “STRONG DESIRE” to eat!! Jesus was tempted in his human nature to eat food. His divine nature does not need to eat food to sustain it's life, but for the human nature to stay alive it needs food!!!

Mat 4:3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, COMMAND THAT THESE STONES BE MADE BREAD.

The other two temptations came as a result that Jesus's "strong desire" to proof he was the son, but not by casting himself down so his angels would bear him up, but by the works his Father would do through him by many miracles.

The last temptation would come because Jesus's "strong desire" to destroy,and recover what Adam had lost in the garden of Eden, not by worshiping the Devil, but through his cross!!

The nature of temptation(s) we experience in this life is the results that come from our own STRONG DESIRES, and as a result of those strong desires the Devil entices us to sin!!!

How would a Christian stop these temptations that come from within our self's (human nature)?

Gal 5:16 This I say then, WALK IN THE SPIRIT, AND YE SHALL NOT FULFIL THE LUST (strong desires) OF THE FLESH.
2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here."

Loyal
Sin does NOT begin with an "action", it begins with a "thought", which is why Jesus said......

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

You mean I can commit adultery with out ever committing adultery? Absolutely yes!!!!

Desiring something you know is evil is sin!!!

Committing sin is just the evidence of abiding sin in man.

Loyal
One verse does say God cannot be tempted. So then the question becomes, "is Jesus fully God" which in my view Jesus is NOT fully God. He said so himself! We know that we can sin even with Christ in us. He is NOT "God the Son."
I would refer you back to post #8

Loyal
So then the question becomes, "is Jesus fully God" which in my view Jesus is NOT fully God.
Joh 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Active
It sounds like what you're saying is that they would have fallen anyway...one way or another, and there's no proof of that. I'm not saying the serpent was solely responsible, but that his enticement was the catalyst that moved Eve to sin, and ultimately Eve enticed Adam to sin. Kind of a chain reaction.

Here's a good one...

I'm convinced that there are trillions of planets with people on them like this one. There are only a few possibilities.
1. They all fell. We know ours did so we cannot say NONE fell.
2. Only some fell. It is possible that some 'earths' did NOT fall, therefore, did not require a Savior. We don't know.

What makes you think there are trillions of planets with people on them like this one?

We can ask this as God has been transparent / has an open book policy with us in scripture.

I would argue it is highly unlikely. But of course with God, not impossible.

Unlikely as:

1. God has communicated His commitment to having us and angels in His immediate household for eternity.
2. The cross / Jesus was part and parcel of mankind's creation from before Adam and Eve Eph 1:4.

IE God has always expected a highly intelligent creation to 'fall'. Have free will. The devil and many angels falling was just a matter of time. Us, being a creation just beneath them, was likewise 100% inevitable. God just did not want us on earth for a million years before someone fell, so He placed the devil on earth.

If you say that they would not have fallen (your first line), then are you saying God made us fall?

My point is we can't blame the fall only on the serpent, and we can't blame it only on humans.
We can. Both are to blame. The serpent is to blame because he wanted us to fall. We are to blame because we wanted us to fall. God put the forbidden tree in the garden. The serpent put the forbidden tree in our face. Eve put the fruit near our mouth. We, ate it. Everyone except for God had evil intent. God was driven by love, righteousness, goodness / the need to give us free will. Free will is necessary for a highly intelligent creation, if you are a good God. No free will is evil. No tree is evil. We need to remember that one day in hell, nobody will say ''so and so are to blame for me being here'.

Active
The Jews plotted to kill Him because He compared Himself to God / said He was God John 5:18.

Jesus praying to God is evidence of Him being 100% in the flesh / in our shoes. No cheating. But make no mistake, this Son of God, this Messiah, this Man was God.

Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.