• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Loyal
Sunday, December 25, 2016, 11:11 a.m. – The Lord Jesus put in mind the song “Amazing Grace.” Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read 1 Corinthians 2 (NASB).

The Power of God (vv. 1-5)

And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

So, how do we know when the teaching we are listening to comes from the wisdom of men or from the power of God? We have to test everything we hear against the Word of God, and his divine character and will, and see if it is consistent with God’s Word and with his divine character. Also, if we are truly followers of Jesus Christ, and his Spirit is living within us, if we are listening, and receptive to what the Lord wants to teach us, his Spirit within us will quicken our hearts and will let us know when something isn’t right.

In addition to this, if we are students of the Word of God, and if we know his Word, we should be able to discern when liars and deceivers, or when the naïve speak words, as though they are from God’s Word, when they are not. To check out whether or not a preacher/speaker is speaking the truth from God’s Word, we should read the scripture in context, and then compare scripture with scripture to get the full understanding of what is being taught. But, we must do this prayerfully, seeking guidance and understanding from the Holy Spirit, who will teach us all things.

The Wisdom of God (vv. 6-9)

Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory; the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory; but just as it is written,

“Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard,
And which have not entered the heart of man,
All that God has prepared for those who love Him.”

So what is this wisdom that, if the rulers of that age had understood it, it would have prevented them from crucifying Jesus? Well, for one, it was that Jesus Christ, God incarnate, was their promised Messiah for whom they had been waiting a very long time, and for whom the vast majority of Jewish people continue to wait, because they rejected Jesus as their Messiah (Christ). Jesus is the fulfillment of the prophecies about the Messiah (Christ), who was to come. He is their Savior; their Lord God. He is their King of kings and Lord of lords. He is the one who came to save them from their sins. There is no other, no matter how long they wait. He is their ONLY Messiah.

So, what is it today, if the people truly understood it, would keep them from crucifying him all over again, by how they live their lives in opposition to him? It would be that Jesus did not die just so they could escape hell and go to heaven when they die. It would be that we can’t earn our way to heaven by good works, and that all people don’t go to heaven when they die, no matter how many good things they do on this earth. And, it would be that Jesus died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

You see, the reason Jesus died to save us from sin was not just we could escape punishment, but so that we would live for him who died for us. He didn’t die just to save us, but to transform us. Coming to faith in Jesus Christ is not a free ride to heaven while we live like hell while we are on the earth. God does demand repentance and obedience for salvation, but he gives us the ability to repent and obey him. We don’t do this in our own flesh, but in the power of the Spirit. God’s grace to us is not a free license to continue in sin. His grace teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives while we wait for Christ’s return. When we believe in Jesus, we are crucified with Christ in death to sin, and we are resurrected with him to new lives in Christ (born again), to be lived in the power of the Spirit to Christ’s righteousness.

What all has God prepared for those who love him? He delivered us out of sin so that we would no longer walk (in lifestyle) according to our sinful nature, living to satisfy its lustful desires, but so we would conduct our lives according to the Spirit, putting to death the deeds of the flesh. Paul was called to open blinded eyes, and to turn them from darkness (sin) to light (truth, Jesus, righteousness), and from the power of Satan to God, so they might receive forgiveness of sins. This is repentance! This is what Jesus died for, to turn us from caterpillars into butterflies, i.e. metamorphosis. Sin kills, but the Spirit gives life, and he died to give us life in the Spirit!! Amen!

The Mind of Christ (vv. 10-16)

For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one. For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he will instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.

As genuine believers and followers of Jesus Christ we have the Holy Spirit of God living within us, speaking to us, counseling, correcting, teaching and encouraging us, etc. He guides us into all truth, and he lets us know when we are going astray, if we will listen, and if we will not quench the Spirit. He reveals to us all that God had planned for us from even before the world was formed. And, he leads us in the right way; in the way we should go.

He knows the mind of God; of Christ. Because God/Christ is living within us, in the person of the Holy Spirit (the 3rd person of our triune God), we have the mind of Christ. It doesn’t mean we know everything, as he knows, but that his thoughts are now within us, and we can know him and his will for our lives, and we can feel what he feels, and see what he sees – not everything, but as much as he chooses to reveal to us and we are willing to see, I believe. The Spirit living within us reveals to us God’s nature, his character and his will for us, and he shows us how to live godly and holy lives pleasing to God. But, we have to be open to hear his voice, and we have to be responsive to obey what he does show us. Many people don’t obey God, not because they don’t know how, but because they are unwilling.

Those outside of faith in Jesus Christ, including many who proclaim to know him, but who have never really been born again of the Spirit of God, don’t accept these good things God has for us, through his plan of salvation for us, because they don’t have the Spirit of God. Their minds are blinded to the truth. So, they need to have their blinded eyes opened, and be turned from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so they can receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified (made holy) by faith in Jesus Christ, their Lord. So, we need to pray for their salvation.

Amazing Grace / John Newton

Amazing Grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas Grace that taught my heart to fear,
And Grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils, and snares
I have already come.
'Tis Grace hath brought me safe thus far
And Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His Word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.

And when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess within the veil
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we'd first begun.

Staff Member
Greetings,

The Power of God (vv. 1-5)

And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.
So, how do we know when the teaching we are listening to comes from the wisdom of men or from the power of God?

May I suggest that the answer may be found here?:
I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
Greetings,

May I suggest that the answer may be found here?:
I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling

Bless you ....><>

Brother Bear,

I agree! Thank you! Certainly humility should be one of the marks of one who is called of God, and who teaches the Word of God in the power of God, and not from the wisdom of men. So, how would you know if someone was truly humble or not? Some of it may be obvious, I would think, like someone who brags on himself or herself all the time and who draws people to themselves rather than to God is probably not humble. But anything can be faked, including humility. So, do you have any thoughts on how this could be tested, in all practicality?

I guess what I am looking for are practical ways (things we can do or look for) to know if someone is truly humble or not, like scriptures that would show us what true humility looks like. My only concern here is that the testing of whether or not someone is humble can be subjective, i.e. in the eye of the beholder, and not necessarily a true test of whether or not someone's teaching comes from the power of God or the wisdom of men, unless, of course, it is quite obvious, from a biblical perspective, that what someone is teaching is the opposite of humble. Does this make sense? Perhaps I am overthinking this.

I mean, if someone teaches the wisdom of men, that should be discernible, based on scripture, what is man-made and what is of God, but humility can be subject to opinion, and that opinion could be man-made and not coming from spiritual discernment at all. I guess I have just seen too many people misjudge each other too freely based on their own perceptions of what something should look like, and end up totally wrong, like how they misjudged Jesus, and Paul and the prophets, etc.

So, your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, and I appreciate already that you have taken the time to write and to share your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Sister Sue

Staff Member
Greetings again,

In your more recent thread,
The Correct Foundation
you wrote about 'one body'.

May I suggest that the Christian himself is complete and not lacking all needful in Christ.
The Body has many members and each Christian himself is a member and has need of the Body, Christ being the head.

There is one Spirit.
Do we rely upon Him or upon our own senses and understanding? Do we do our relying on our own or do we co-rely according to the predetermined counsel of God?

I shall endeavor to answer further but for now, the above and this, surely learning all the related Scripture would render a man a judge without the Spirit and legalism would be the matter of determination.

Grace and Peace be multiplied to you.

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
Greetings again,

In your more recent thread,
The Correct Foundation
you wrote about 'one body'.

May I suggest that the Christian himself is complete and not lacking all needful in Christ.
The Body has many members and each Christian himself is a member and has need of the Body, Christ being the head.

There is one Spirit.
Do we rely upon Him or upon our own senses and understanding? Do we do our relying on our own or do we co-rely according to the predetermined counsel of God?

I shall endeavor to answer further but for now, the above and this, surely learning all the related Scripture would render a man a judge without the Spirit and legalism would be the matter of determination.

Grace and Peace be multiplied to you.

Bless you ....><>

Brother Bear,

I am not quite understanding where you are headed with this. I agree that the Christian is not lacking anything he needs in Christ. I agree that the body of Christ has many members and each Christian himself is a member and has need of the Body, Christ being the head. I agree there is one Spirit. I agree that we rely upon Him, and not on our own senses and understanding. And, we follow the teachings of his Word. Yet, learning scripture does not equate to rendering a man (or woman) "a judge without the Spirit and legalism would be the matter of determination." We are supposed to study the Word, to drink it in, to know what it teaches, because it is our sword of the Spirit which the Spirit brings to recall when Satan is throwing his fiery darts at us. It is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path. "We shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God."

Jesus said, "Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock." Jesus said, "And those are the ones on whom seed was sown on the good soil; and they hear the word and accept it and bear fruit, thirty, sixty, and a hundredfold.” Jesus said, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.” Jesus said, "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you." Jesus said in prayer to the Father, “For the words which You gave Me I have given to them; and they received them and truly understood that I came forth from You, and they believed that You sent Me.” He said, "I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world."

So, knowing the Word of God, drinking it in, continuing in it, doing what it says, abiding in it, receiving it, keeping it, bearing fruit from it, using it as part of our spiritual armor (the Sword of the Spirit) with which to fight off Satan's evil attacks, etc. cannot be likened to being a judge without the Spirit, or to legalism. I love the Word because that is God's Words to us, his body. We cannot even begin to understand it without the Spirit. Yet, I agree that there are those who have head knowledge only, and who use it to win arguments rather than to apply to their daily lives in practice, or who may use it for legalistic purposes. Yet, the Word of God is truth. It is what we are supposed to speak: "And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness." "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ." The Word of God is our rule book for Christian living.

Psalm 19:7-11:

“The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul;
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
8 The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the Lord are true; they are righteous altogether.
10 They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb.
11 Moreover, by them Your servant is warned;
In keeping them there is great reward.”

Sincerely,

Sister Sue

Staff Member
Greetings,

Perhaps a punctuation mark might help?

"I shall endeavor to answer further but for now, the above and this, surely learning all the related Scripture would render a man a judge, without the Spirit, and legalism would be the matter of determination."

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made. In Him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. John 1:1-5
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. John 1:14

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
Greetings,

Perhaps a punctuation mark might help?

"I shall endeavor to answer further but for now, the above and this, surely learning all the related Scripture would render a man a judge, without the Spirit, and legalism would be the matter of determination."

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made. In Him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. John 1:1-5
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. John 1:14

Bless you ....><>

Brother Bear,

So, the question you are endeavoring to answer here is, "So, how do we know when the teaching we are listening to comes from the wisdom of men or from the power of God?" And, your answer was, "May I suggest that the answer may be found here?: I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling." So, I took that as you saying that we can know if the teaching comes from the wisdom of men or from the power of God if the one who is doing the teaching is humble. And, although I agreed that a person teaching from the power of God should be humble, I wondered how, in all practicality, one might know for certain if the one teaching is truly humble, as assessing such a thing could be very subjective, i.e. we might judge wrongly, because we might judge by human standards rather than by the standards of God. Then, you responded with these comments:

There is one Spirit.

I was confused by your response. Are you speaking in terms of the ones making the assessment as to who might be speaking in the wisdom of men or in the power of God, OR are you speaking in terms of the ones who are the speakers, who are the ones being assessed as to whether or not they are speaking from human wisdom or in the power of God? In other words, how are you answering the original question here as to how we know who is speaking according to the wisdom of man or who is speaking in the power of God? What do you mean by "learning all the related Scripture"? Were you making reference to the testing of what is taught by testing it against the Word of God to see if it is consistent with scripture? Or, were you speaking of the speakers themselves, that having knowledge of scripture only, absent of the Holy Spirit, might render the speaker as a judge (by human standards) and the speaker himself would judge by legalistic standards rather than by the Spirit and truth? In other words, who is the subject of what you are writing here - the speaker, or the one testing what the speaker is saying? And, how are you relating all that you said here in answer to the original question of how we can know if a speaker is speaking in the power of God or in the wisdom of man? I am just not following your train of thought. Sorry. Help me to understand please.

Staff Member
Greetings,

When I wrote my initial response I added a line suggesting meekness and humility. However, it was as if the LORD said not to (my people misunderstood those words) and so I deleted them (as one would use an eraser if writing by hand - remember those days ?).

The Apostle Paul had had an encounter with the LORD on the road to Damascus which is something most 'preachers' do not have.
I am quite sure that if he was intending to mean meekness and humility as we understand it to mean, he would have said so. What did he say?
"in weakness and in fear and in much trembling,"
(Let us remember that is only one translation to the English tongue.)
Generally, speakers/preachers/teachers/sermon readers/etc. of this age present themselves differently (diametrically) to how the Apostle wrote that he did.

Most certainly, if something does not align with Scripture then we can know it is error and what a man says can be tested by Scripture but what of the manner or way of the preacher himself?
Do we continue to settle with "a fairly good message is passable", or perhaps one day, before they run out, do we look at those bits of Scripture that usually get overlooked and realize that there is a reason why the sermons/messages are not 100%. We are talking about things of the LORD and Spirit who is only ever 100%, remember.

I am sure that the Apostle Paul knew that he had immense responsibility and that before the LORD, not men nor boards nor councils nor inner circles of leadership nor the media nor any other thing. He also knew the severity of using the LORD's name and speaking and teaching on His behalf. He also knew how weak he really was.
Show me a preacher who mirrors these things and they might have something of Truth to say.
The Apostle Paul went on to say that the wisdom he used was not man's, his words not enticing but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
1Corinthians 2:4-5

So, how do you know?
Let us stop being satisfied with less than pure.
Believe it or not , we can and so often do, although pure would not be what term we can would use...
When buying something new, the more expensive the more so, we are usually very fussy that it be in perfect order likewise food with a little mould on we would leave, preferring to pick the best. We are fussy about nearly everything but for some perverse reason we are very casual and care little in comparison for the Word.
So where do we start looking in order to know?

The man who sowed the seed knew how important that seed and the harvest was for survival - lives depended upon it and... him.

How did anyone know that Jesus spoke with authority? Flamboyant? Humorous? Wealthy? Accepted? Charismatic? Any other worldly standards of what makes a preacher man?

Who do we follow?

Yes, there is MUCH Scripture that tells us how to know.
The Spirit opens our eyes to Truth. From there we know error.

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
Greetings,

When I wrote my initial response I added a line suggesting meekness and humility. However, it was as if the LORD said not to (my people misunderstood those words) and so I deleted them (as one would use an eraser if writing by hand - remember those days ?).

The Apostle Paul had had an encounter with the LORD on the road to Damascus which is something most 'preachers' do not have.
I am quite sure that if he was intending to mean meekness and humility as we understand it to mean, he would have said so. What did he say?
Generally, speakers/preachers/teachers/sermon readers/etc. of this age present themselves differently (diametrically) to how the Apostle wrote that he did.

Most certainly, if something does not align with Scripture then we can know it is error and what a man says can be tested by Scripture but what of the manner or way of the preacher himself?
Do we continue to settle with "a fairly good message is passable", or perhaps one day, before they run out, do we look at those bits of Scripture that usually get overlooked and realize that there is a reason why the sermons/messages are not 100%. We are talking about things of the LORD and Spirit who is only ever 100%, remember.

I am sure that the Apostle Paul knew that he had immense responsibility and that before the LORD, not men nor boards nor councils nor inner circles of leadership nor the media nor any other thing. He also knew the severity of using the LORD's name and speaking and teaching on His behalf. He also knew how weak he really was.
Show me a preacher who mirrors these things and they might have something of Truth to say.
The Apostle Paul went on to say that the wisdom he used was not man's, his words not enticing but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

So, how do you know?
Believe it or not , we can and so often do, although pure would not be what term we can would use...
When buying something new, the more expensive the more so, we are usually very fussy that it be in perfect order likewise food with a little mould on we would leave, preferring to pick the best. We are fussy about nearly everything but for some perverse reason we are very casual and care little in comparison for the Word.

The man who sowed the seed knew how important that seed and the harvest was for survival - lives depended upon it and... him.

How did anyone know that Jesus spoke with authority? Flamboyant? Humorous? Wealthy? Accepted? Charismatic? Any other worldly standards of what makes a preacher man?

Who do we follow?

Bless you ....><>

Brother Bear,

Awesome! Praise Jesus! All glory to God! I so agree!!! Amen!

Thank you so much for these words. You hit the nail right on the head.

God bless!

Sister Sue

Loyal
Greetings,

So, how do you know?

Who do we follow?

Bless you ....><>

@Br. Bear - This reminds me of something A. W. Tozer wrote in the 1940's:

ALL UNANNOUNCED AND MOSTLY UNDETECTED there has come in modern times a new cross into popular evangelical circles. It is like the old cross, but different: the likenesses are superficial; the differences, fundamental.

From this new cross has sprung a new philosophy of the Christian life, and from that new philosophy has come a new evangelical technique-a new type of meeting and a new kind of preaching. This new evangelism employs the same language as the old, but its content is not the same and its emphasis not as before.

The old cross would have no truck with the world. For Adam's proud flesh it meant the end of the journey. It carried into effect the sentence imposed by the law of Sinai. The new cross is not opposed to the human race; rather, it is a friendly pal and, if understood aright, it is the source of oceans of good clean fun and innocent enjoyment. It lets Adam live without interference. His life motivation is unchanged; he still lives for his own pleasure... The Old Cross and the New by A. W. Tozer

Some of this may appear borderline legalistic, but if one reads the whole thing, I think the message is clear, and rings loud and clear in much of today's worldly church.