• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Tattoos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleezy said:
Humm, I don't agree with the original post nor do I agree with such comments as "tattoos are stupid". I would like for you to take a look at my Icthus tattoo and tell me how "stupid" it is. I did get this tattoo after becoming a Christian and it is something I proudly wear on my right arm. The wonderful thing is that when I am at the beach, pool, ect I have people come up to me just to get a closer look because they want to know exactly what it is....it is a cover up of a previous tattoo that was done out of rebellion so the Icthus has a blue design going around it and through it kind of like water I guess you could say...then I have a small red cross where the "eye" of the "fish" would be. Once they come up to see what it is I have a wonderful opportunity to share with them. This body is temporary so why not use it to it's fullest to advertise for the Lord. In my view it is no different than wearing a Christian t-shirt or jewelry, ect. We all have opinions and I feel many people push their own agendas by taking the Bible out of context. I know when speaking to the lost the majority of their rebuttals come in the form of Bible versus taken out of context. We need to be very careful about how we interpret the Word and make sure we are not representing an inward agenda. I guess if we all interpreted the Bible the same we would not have so many denominations either. I guess to sum it up.... Interpret as you will but be careful about judging others and putting others down at the same time. We are all brothers and sisters here!
I agree with you that it is no different than wearing christian T shirts or a gold cross around your neck. If you want a tattoo, fine just don't try to spiritualize it. See the religious mind set is to make the flesh appear more spiritual, Jesus told the pharisees in Matthew 23:25

25 “How terrible it will be for you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! You are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside you are filthy—full of greed and self-indulgence! 26*Blind Pharisees! First wash the inside of the cup, and then the outside will become clean, too.

Now let me say that there is nothing wrong with wanting to be identified as one of Christ' but it's not by a carnal expression, tattoos, T shirts or bumper stickers.

John 13:35
*By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

I don't think Jesus was talking about tattoos or T shirts when He said In Mark 16 that signs and wonders will follow those that believe.

LegendaryU2K said:
Actually everything that is spoken in the OT "should" apply to this day, what it is, this land or how we grow up, we are not actually taught that. Things has change, but i believe thats man's fault, man is the blame for everything.

Wow! Have you even read the Old Testament?

The part about mankind is right tho, and it began right at the same time
man allowed satan to beguile him into believing what he said was Truth,
and what God said was a lie. Gen 3:1

Rom 2:15 who show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness with [them], and among themselves their thoughts accusing or even defending [them],
Rom 2:16 in [the] day when God will judge the secrets of the people according to my Gospel through Jesus Christ.
Rom 2:17 Listen! _You_ call yourself a Jew and rest [or, rely] on the Law and boast in God,

Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, the one in the open [fig., who is so outwardly], neither [is] circumcision in the open [fig., outwardly] in flesh;
Rom 2:29 _but_ a Jew [is] the one in the secret [fig., inwardly], and circumcision [is] of [the] heart, in spirit, not in letter, whose praise is not from people, _but_ from God.

God is not looking at the outward.
HE said it.
I believe it.
Glory to God.

I agree with one part and disagree with the other.
Yes, the Bible does say that. BUt did people back then just have evil looking tatoos and not use them to witness like some modern day christians? And so God then said "NO TATTOOS!"
Like I have a friend that has tattoos, and some of the kids that try to act tough accept him because of the tattoos. And he can then witness to them.
Interesting topic.

i really have to laugh at the old post.

*cough cough* yeah i know this is a VERY old thread but i really have to say this. chad you quoted

Leviticus 19:28 (Amplified) which says, "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord."

well i didn't read the whole longy longness of your post but i did read the first paragraph and i can already tell it has no grounds.

1. your just using dogma here boy-o. did you bother to read the stuff written before and after that little verse after you looked it up in the concordance?

Leviticus 19:26 "do not eat any meat with the blood still in it."
guess that rules out medium rare stake.

Leviticus 19:27 "do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip the edges of your beard."
hey put down the razor, and back away with your hands up!

Leviticus 19:29 "do not degrade your daughter by making her a prostitute, or the land will will turn to prosititution and be filled with wickedness."
ok well that on is pretty much a given, hookers are not a good thing.

any way my point is that you are picking and chooseing here... and that little piece of dogma you used there was laws for the JEWS 1000 years ago! and since this site is called "talkjesus.com" and Jewish people do not bleieve in Jesus, i doubt your Jewish and this referance doesn not apply to christians at all.

so poo on you *gives you the rasburry*

-Gothic_Whisper

Now I am starting to see how you're personal relationship with Jesus Christ , and the gothic life-style are working together in you're life . Goth comes first , and Jesus comes second . I will not give you scripture's , but a real life story . My son , got into the gothic life , and then the punk life and on and on . In the time he adventured into these promises of freedom and individuality , he accumulated a full torso of tattoos . Both his arms , and most of his upper body have tat's all over them . My son has a degree in computer networking , and is also gifted in playing almost every instrument and write's music . He was rated in the top 4% of high school students in the nation !

Now , he has no relationship with God , and cannot get a job anywhere because of this wonderful look he made of himself ! Just this week [ May - 28 -05 ] He has been thrown out of our home for the last time and is in the process of going into a mental institution ! Now , you tell me that this life-style makes no difference , and is harmless . Well it has destroyed my son . Led him into drugs and alcohol . He has been arrested , and is pending a court date at the moment for possible gang related activity ! Now , I will not quote scripture , but I will tell you that tatoos can lead to many things , and I am living right in the middle of the consequences ! Mike

I don't see anything in this commentary about tattoos, I'm not sure I understand the point being made.
I think we should be concerned with anything that comes between us and Christ. Are we going to demmand that all males be circumcised next?

Matthew 15:1-20
1*Some Pharisees and teachers of religious law now arrived from Jerusalem to interview Jesus. 2*“Why do your disciples disobey our age-old traditions?” they demanded. “They ignore our tradition of ceremonial hand washing before they eat.”
3*Jesus replied, “And why do you, by your traditions, violate the direct commandments of God? 4 For instance, God says, ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and ‘Anyone who speaks evil of father or mother must be put to death.’* 5 But you say, ‘You don’t need to honor your parents by caring for their needs if you give the money to God instead.’ 6*And so, by your own tradition, you nullify the direct commandment of God. 7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was prophesying about you when he said,
8* ‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far away.
9* Their worship is a farce,
for they replace God’s commands with their own man-made teachings.’* ”
10*Then Jesus called to the crowds and said, “Listen to what I say and try to understand. 11*You are not defiled by what you eat; you are defiled by what you say and do.* ”
12*Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you realize you offended the Pharisees by what you just said?”
13*Jesus replied, “Every plant not planted by my heavenly Father will be rooted up, 14 so ignore them. They are blind guides leading the blind, and if one blind person guides another, they will both fall into a ditch.”
15*Then Peter asked Jesus, “Explain what you meant when you said people aren’t defiled by what they eat.”
16*“Don’t you understand?” Jesus asked him. 17*“Anything you eat passes through the stomach and then goes out of the body. 18*But evil words come from an evil heart and defile the person who says them. 19*For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, all other sexual immorality, theft, lying, and slander. 20*These are what defile you. Eating with unwashed hands could never defile you and make you unacceptable to God!”

Romnas 8:5-8
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

The issue to be dealt with in this thread is not "are tattoos wrong" but rather why does a person get a tattoo. What is their motive? When you find the motive don't be surprised to find the same motive is behind a lot of other things we do. It's called the works of the flesh and the religious pharisee can't see it because he don't want to see it. The flesh's way of thinking is hostile towards God. Religious instituion has made a mockery of the Cross of Christ and turned it into a religious symbol. We are called to bear the cross not wear the cross. Please quit trying to clean up something that will always be foul and stinky to God! We are all guilty and need to repent (which if you look it up means to change one's thinking or mindset) and may God help us to focus on what is eternal, Which is Christ and nothing else.

Soldier of God said:
Originally the thread spoke of "what does the Bible say about tatoos"? As scripture was stated favor is not shown toward the marking of the body. Chads sources are adequate and true. As for the commentary two things struck me as revealing.

3. The fear here required includes inward reverence and esteem, outward respect and obedience, care to please them and to make them easy. God only is to be worshipped,

17. Rather rebuke him than hate him, for an injury done to thyself. We incur guilt by not reproving; it is hating our brother. We should say, I will do him the kindness to tell him of his faults. We are to put off all malice, and to put on brotherly love,

As we read we know these markings are wrong! I have these things, and I say they came before my rebirth. Not proud am I, but ashamed I cannot be. It is fruitful advice not to recieve these things after ones rebirth. God bless all.

Leviticus 19:26-28
26*“Never eat meat that has not been drained of its blood.
“Do not practice fortune-telling or witchcraft.
27*“Do not trim off the hair on your temples or clip the edges of your beards.
28*“Never cut your bodies in mourning for the dead or mark your skin with tattoos, for I am the Lord.

So then i gather you don't approve of hair cuts or shaving, right?

I have tatoos that are not of an offensive nature and while i am not ashamed of them i am not proud either.They were done at a time in my life where i was quite lost and had them done because i could.To be honest i think this thread has lost a bit of perspective,i have sinful traits that i constantly battle that are far more serious than a few body markings.Tatoos are visible to the naked eye and so easily judged,other thing are not.

OK for the sake of this thread let's say that tattoos are wrong. So if someone wants in their heart to get a tattoo but doesn't for fear of God's judgement, are innocent of this wrong, right?

Hebrews 4:12&13
12*For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13*Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

The pharisees were law keepers and had the appearance of being Holy. But Jesus told them they neglected to let God clean up the "inside of the cup" which makes the cup useless. the pharisees had the appearance of being Holy but were really far from it.
Matthew 23:25-28
25*Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. 26*Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27*Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men’s bones, and of all uncleanness. 28*Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

Last edited:
jiggyfly said:
OK for the sake of this thread let's say that tattoos are wrong. So if someone wants in their heart to get a tattoo but doesn't for fear of God's judgement, are innocent of this wrong, right?

Hebrews 4:12&13
12*For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13*Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

The pharisees were law keepers and had the appearance of being Holy. But Jesus told them they neglected to let God clean up the "inside of the cup" which makes the cup useless. the pharisees had the appearance of being Holy but were really far from it.
I think i concur with you on the above.Having read the posts in the thread i would not have any more tatoos done.

We all have tattoos.
We all have some marking on us. Maybe not physical tattoos. But we all have some bad tattoos. So lets just all state our opinion on what the bible says about tattoos. And not ridicule those that have physical tattoos. While we have spiritual tattoos (sin). They will be judged soon enough. It is not up to us to judge them.

Soldier of God said:
Well said sparky, these thoughts I share with you.

Sparky says,
"I have tatoos that are not of an offensive nature and while i am not ashamed of them i am not proud either"

I said this,
"It is fruitful advice not to recieve these things after ones rebirth" I believe the best advice is to follow scripture, but no, I trim my hair, face and head that is for your ears to enjoy. God bless.

Then why have you accused me on other threads of picking and choosing scripture when you are guilty yourself? I don't understand your thinking here. Please help me understand what your stand is.

If you don't mind please instuct us on which part of God's laws we are to adhere to and which ones are ok to neglect, please help us understand.

Last edited:
dude....jiggly fly, I am not saying we need to neglect that partof the Bible. It just seems like ya'll are all just accusing very sternly or a lil more sternly than need be to those that have tattoos.

Even though they may be wrong, God can still use tattoos for good.

And i did not accuse ya

slugger165 said:
oh and jiggly fly what threads? What threads did i accuse you ahev picking and chosing?

Please go back and re read, I did not even quote you or reference anything you said. Your name doesn't even appear in my post. :confused: Please try to get all the info first.

I hear the mighty men of God , banging their swords together in groaning's from the word in both Spirit and truth ! This is not an argument , but the sound's of one man sharpening another !!! Praise you Father for the Mighty men in battle ! Bang you're breastplate men . And clash you're sword's together ! And the Lord will use the spark's to kindle his Holy Fire ! The mighty have awaken ! Flee satan and run from amoung us ! For when the swords are sharper , they will turn on you ! Mike :computer:

Soldier of God said:
Are you wanting to start an argument jiggyfly? We cant do this. I will say that I have not quoted scripture in this thread. I said it is good advice to follow scripture in this case, isnt it? Do I need to explain that I dont shave for employment reasons, in a thread speaking of tattoos? I like my steak well done there will be no rare meat here. I love Jesus. And I love you jiggyfly. God bless you brother. Here is scripture so I have done this.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20: "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

Colossians 2:23 - Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

1 Corinthians 3:16 NIV: "Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him; for God’s temple is sacred, and you are that temple."

Please accept my apology I must have misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying it is wrong to get tattoos after being born again, Again sorry for the misunderstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.