• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Take up your cross and follow Jesus

How Well Do You Take Up Your Cross And Follow Jesus?

• Really Well

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Quite Well

• Not Very Well

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Not Well At All

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Wishing It Was As Easy As Others Seem To Have it

• Joyfully

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Grumbling and Complaining

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Trusting

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Doubting

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Blaming Others For The Cross We Carry

• Total voters
Staff Member
Then said Jesus unto His disciples,
If any man will come after Me,
let him deny himself,
and take up his cross,
and follow Me.

Matthew 16:24

How well do you take up your cross and follow Jesus?
Most, if not all, professing Christians want to follow Jesus and go to where He is, to be with Him and even to glorify His name above their own.

But how well do we do this? Do we actually even do this?

Do we grumble along the way? Do we complain and justify our complaints?

Do we gladly suffer all things?
Do we sing as we follow?Is praise found on our lips .... or something else?

Do we get distracted by the things of the world. Do we prioritise following Jesus after doing things that make our lives more comfortable and pleasing?
Do we find ourselves doing a bit of men-pleasing along the way or do we stay focussed on pleasing Him Who calls us to follow?

Do you rate your following Jesus outside of taking up your cross, meaning, do we consider that because we do all sorts of other things like Bible reading, going to 'Church', praying, giving cash to the 'church', living a socially acceptable life, that we don't really have to bother with taking up our cross?

I can't imagine that carrying a cross all day is an easy task. Add to it the jeering and mockery, the hate and insults, the physical handicaps (beatings of life?) the sadness we face daily, the dashed dreams of a good life, the financial struggles we all seem to face at least occasionally, the daily tasks or work we find ourselves doing, etc, etc, etc, and the joy could easily become a heavy burden or a reason to lash out or seek revenge or just improve our lot.
But do we retaliate? Do we bite and devour one another along the way? Do we build each other up? Do we help each other?

Do we want justice done? Do we want an easier cross or at least an easier road to walk?

I think if we are honest, we have probably all failed to walk humbly all the way, no matter how heavy and gnarly it gets.

Surely justice is OK to expect, especially for those who wrong us or our loved ones or something or someone we care about? Do we agree to this? OK, let's say we do....
Justice must be even balances, for all. Hang on... the wages of sin is death and all have sinned... so that means that justice demands the death penalty for us all... you, me and everyone else!
Now look at the One Who died for the sins of the world... yours, mine and everyone's... and see the injustice of justice being waived for us....
do we still scream out for justice?

The cross we carry doesn't have to lead to a real life crucifixion in order to be real. There are many trials and temptations, much evil and darkness and deception. There are lies and hatred, laziness and aggression, there is mockery and poverty, disease and corruption, greed and tyranny, sadness and depression.... and much more... much, much more, all of which can either make us or break us. It depends on how you carry your cross and follow Jesus.

Finally, do we carry it for Him, our cross, that is?

Lots to consider and I invite you to share your honest valuation of your own walk following the Saviour.
Confess and encourage because it will help not only you but also others who read your replies.
What has helped you? What have you learnt? Any tips for each other?

Bless you ....><>

p.s. you can choose multiple choices in the poll and change your vote at any time.
The votes are counted but your name is not so it is safe to vote anonymously.

Active
Good questions to stop and ponder, brother. I like how Jesus progressively defined His expectations in that verse.

If any man will come after Me, let him

1) deny himself, I'm not so good at that. I'm not yet at the point that I can truly say "I surrender all" because I so easily lapse into my natural (man's) default position of catering to the flesh. There's a certain amount of a lack of faith involved on my part too. Lack of faith as to wondering where following Him too closely might take me.

2) and take up his cross, which is the cross that He has prepared for me, not the one(s) I pick up of my own accord. Who among us enjoys suffering? And as a Christian, I volunteered for it?? Again, the battle between flesh and spirit.

3) and follow Me. This is where I get hung up. I know, both head and heart knowledge, that He bought me and I owe Him everything. I know that my life is His, and He can take much, much better care of it than I can. After all, that was my main motivating factor when I came to Him: I wasn't afraid of going to Hell when I died; I really didn't give it a second thought. I was afraid I had many long, miserable years ahead of me in my depression on this earth because while I wanted to die, what I really wanted was out; I didn't have what it took to commit suicide. (This was 20-30 years ago.) And I don't want to turn back from Him: Heaven forbid! But I've been keenly aware this year of my reluctance to go too far forward with Him. Up till a week ago, anyway, when I purposed in my heart to get back in the fight (1 Tim 6:12) where I belong, and off the sidelines. Where He might lead me, I don't know, but I know the end-game is to be conformed to His image and make it safely Home.

Which brings me back to point 1, and putting down the flesh: denying myself, trusting and obeying Him, for His honour and glory.

Loyal
Its never easy when the cross gets heavy, but sometimes when I am following well, I seem to forget about it and just focus ahead. But I am usually joyful despite the crosses in life, in between good christian music to lift me up, and being in the spirit praying alot, it doesnt leave a lot of reason to focus on the bad.

I want to say joyfully, but since we're being honest here, I have to go with grumbling and complaining. Not that I justify it. It comes and goes like seasons. I'm just in a particularly stressful one right now.

Active
Its never easy when the cross gets heavy, but sometimes when I am following well, I seem to forget about it and just focus ahead. But I am usually joyful despite the crosses in life, in between good christian music to lift me up, and being in the spirit praying alot, it doesnt leave a lot of reason to focus on the bad.
It isn't easy but this increases perseverance. When Satin closes in, go back to that day that you first believed and he melts away.
Colossians 1:26-27 “The mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory”
When troubles come, remember this verse...though we may think about the bad, we don't focus on it because we have the hope of glory!

Loyal
It isn't easy but this increases perseverance. When Satin closes in, go back to that day that you first believed and he melts away.
Colossians 1:26-27 “The mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory”
When troubles come, remember this verse...though we may think about the bad, we don't focus on it because we have the hope of glory!

For the same reasons that Jesus got angry and that Jesus wept, they are the main reasons that I get sad. I know its within the realm of possibilities that nearly all people see the light and turn to it and be saved, but when I see them put a basket over their heads (spiritually speaking) to avoid the light, it makes me sad, like seeing a dog with their chain broken, but still afraid to go beyond the boundary of the chain due to fear.

Active
Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. KJV

To deny myself is to acknowledge that I am not able to follow Him by the religious flesh like keeping a commitment or a promise to do so.

To pick up my cross daily is to be crucified with Christ in that sense that it is not I who live, but Christ in me as the power for following Him.

To follow "Me" is to trust Him to help me to follow Him.

So I voted "trusting" in how I pick up my cross daily in following Him. And I trust Him as my Good Shepherd to help me do even that, because I can do nothing without Him.

John 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. KJV

Active
Hmm would go for trusting.

At first, like many people, thought my cross was so heavy!! Everyone else seemed to have an easier time of it, but you know the more you walk, the lighter it seems as we have a helper.

Then God showed me that I ought to choose joy, and not complain about it, so from last year it has gotten much lighter but there soemtimes the odd days when I go, really God? Why did you give this to me I dont want to do it! I am weary! But then I do it anyway, because of the greater reward, and I want to encourage everyone that if you keep walking in his ways, well practise makes perfect!!

Staff Member
If there be therefore any consolation in Christ,
if any comfort of love,
if any fellowship of the Spirit,
if any bowels and mercies,
Fulfil ye my joy,
that ye be likeminded,
having the same love,
being of one accord,
of one mind.
Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: but made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: and being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death,
even the death of the cross.

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him, and given Him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2:1-11

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure.
Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
That ye may be blameless and harmless,
the sons of God, without rebuke,
in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation,
among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
Holding forth the Word of Life;

Philippians 2:12-16a

Greetings,

@Br. Bear

What does it actually mean to take up your and follow Him?

If you mean to take up your cross and follow Jesus, it is probably best to consider what it meant to the people He was speaking to, then.

Today we tend to analyse/understand/look at Scripture from our present world view and what is happening in our lives.

Back then, a willingness to take up one's cross meant/would mean to take authority over the situation, to willingly take up the cross meant that if and when you were ordered to do so, it was and had been your choice anyway, so therefore you were following Jesus instead of doing as the world dictated.
[ How do you work that out!?!! ]
Back then, a condemned man had to carry his cross to the place where he was to be crucified. It was protocol, regulations, law of the governing powers (government). There was no choice, you had to do it. A grim lot to bear. Imagine it. You have been condemned to death by crucifixion and to top it off, you had to take your own cross that you were about to be hung on to die an agonizing, cruel, shameful, death at the scorn of others, while most likely being judged and mocked and jeered at as you carried it, but being under the burden of it, you were also helpless. Not nice.
So it is a two sided thing for the one who follows Jesus. One, you do so willingly completely out of reach of the authority that tells you to do it (the world). Thereby, defeating the world and rendering it powerless against you (and the Gospel) and also maintaining the privilege of having Jesus as your Lord and King, and obeying Him, and thereby declaring His authority as greater than the world's.

Then you have the other side. Take up the obedience to God, surrendering to Him, willingly and joyfully, recognising the death penalty of the flesh, the sinful man.
As they were not at that very moment needing to pick up a real cross, for their time had not yet come, it was a call to live by God's standards, not man's. Jesus laid down His life; no-one took it from Him. They thought that they had but because He laid it down of His own accord, ie according to the will of God, they had no authority over Him. He was obedient unto death.

If we recall what Jesus said about Himself and what He told His disciples would be their lot as followers of Him it was very clear what He was referring to in this matter of being condemned to death... and taking up your (their) cross and following Him.

Perhaps a few Scriptures would shed some light on this:

Matthew 16:21-27
From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto His disciples, how that He must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. Then Peter took Him, and began to rebuke Him, saying, Be it far from Thee, Lord: this shall not be unto Thee. But He turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind Me,

Satan: thou art an offence unto Me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Then said Jesus unto His disciples, If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for My sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of man shall come in the glory of His Father with His angels; and then He shall reward every man according to his works. (See also Mark 8:31-38 for similar word.)

Matthew 10:32-42
Whosoever therefore shall confess Me before men, Him will I confess also before My Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny Me before men, him will I also deny before My Father which is in heaven.
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

He that loveth father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after Me, is not worthy of Me.

He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for My sake shall find it.

He that receiveth you receiveth Me, and he that receiveth Me receiveth Him that sent Me. He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward. And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.

Luke 14:25-33
And there went great multitudes with Him: and He turned, and said unto them, If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after Me, cannot be My disciple.
For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.

So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be My disciple.

John 21:18-19
…Truly, truly, I tell you, when you were young, you dressed yourself and walked where you wanted; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. After He had said this, He told him, “Follow Me.”

1Peter 2:19-25
For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps: Who did no sin, neither was guile found in His mouth: Who, when He was reviled, reviled not again; when He suffered, He threatened not; but committed Himself to Him that judgeth righteously: Who His own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by Whose stripes ye were healed. For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Luke 9:18-24
And it came to pass, as he was alone praying, His disciples were with Him: and He asked them, saying, Whom say the people that I am? They answering said, John the Baptist; but some say, Elias; and others say, that one of the old prophets is risen again. He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am? Peter answering said, The Christ of God. And He straitly charged them, and commanded them to tell no man that thing; Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day. And He said to them all,
If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for My sake, the same shall save it.

John 15:18-19
If the world hate you, ye know that it hated Me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

If I may add, remember Joseph who was sold out by his brothers and suffered years of imprisonment as well as being 'stolen' from his father and family. How did he handle it? There is no mention of complaint or rebellion against any of his brothers or jailers. Was he showing a type of carrying of his cross?
Patient suffering with eyes upon the LORD.... or was it because he had his heart and eyes upon the LORD that he could endure and suffer patiently?

So, what does it actually mean to take up your cross and follow Him?
I don't know what it means to people today. Good question.

Bless you ....><>

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

Galatians 6:7-10

Active
I am a simple man.
  • To take up your cross and follow Me” means being willing to die in order to follow Jesus. This is also called “dying to self.” It’s a call to absolute surrender
  • I might add that none of us can do this perfectly yet 24 /7.
  • And, the only unpardonable sin is still as written and, that would be unbelief in Jesus's finished work on the cross and his subsequent resurrection.

Staff Member
So, what does it actually mean to take up your cross and follow Him?
I don't know what it means to people today. Good question.

That makes your poll rather difficult to answer @Br.Bear :smile:

Can any one else answer the question

What does it actually mean to:

Take up our cross and follow Him

Loyal
That makes your poll rather difficult to answer @Br.Bear :smile:

Can any one else answer the question

What does it actually mean to:

Take up our cross and follow Him

Taking up your cross means accepting whatever difficult situation you might be in that God intends to be done for the glory of His Kingdom. For Jesus, it was to die on the cross, for Paul it was to bring the Gospel to throughout the roman world despite the difficulties. Our crosses vary from person to person depending on what God has planned for you, if you live your life for Him.

Active
Fragrant Grace, I would agree with what Br. Bear posted and and Brad but also like to add taking up our cross can also mean bearing the reproach of others, being ridiculed for our faith. Others can condemn us and falsely accuse us, as they did with Jesus, but we take that to our death.

Jesus, when He took up that cross knew He was going to suffer and die. But He also knew He was going to be raised in three days!

Staff Member
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow:
for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Matthew 6:34

Greetings,

There are two portions of Scripture which, if we take a closer look, will help us in understanding what it means to ‘take up your cross and follow Me (Jesus)’.

First, in order to see the setting for the first on one, we read in Mark 8:27-32
[this is after Jesus had healed the blind man from Bethsaida* (roughly meaning – *fishing house) keep this in mind as we are moving on to some dialogue with Peter]

And Jesus went out, and His disciples, into the towns of Cæsarea Philippi: and by the way He asked His disciples, saying unto them, "Whom do men say that I am?"
And they answered, John the Baptist: but some say, Elias; and others, One of the prophets. And He saith unto them, "But whom say ye that I am?" And Peter answereth and saith unto Him, Thou art the Christ.
And He charged them that they should tell no man of Him.
[ note that back in verse 26, Jesus said to the healed man from Bethsaida to not tell it to any in the town]

And He began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. [in other words, He must take up His cross...]
And He spake that saying openly. And Peter took Him, and began to rebuke Him.

Seeing the setting helps us to fathom the whole ‘take up your cross and follow Me’. Who is this Me? And even though we, like the disciples and especially as we see here, Peter, can say, Thou art the Christ or Jesus is the Christ (Messiah) or simply, Jesus Christ or Christ Jesus, does not mean that we are automatically following Him [which includes taking up your cross] even if our intentions seem good to us or others. We tend to use, ‘God knows and/or judges the heart’ as an escape route sometimes. I don’t think we can honestly say that Peter in his reaction [v.32] was in any way doing what he did with a bad heart attitude according to the way we might at times consider and weigh and judge ourselves in things. But as we see in the following [which is the first portion we are looking at] Jesus knew and saw differently. We all need to learn from this how our ways are NOT God’s ways, even if to our 'normal' (carnal?) way of seeing things it all adds up and comes across as loving and kind etc. Likewise, we might also see that stern words or words of rebuke are not necessarily bad or wrong or out of place but could well be inspired by the Spirit, as indeed the words of Jesus here:

But when He had turned about and looked on His disciples, He rebuked Peter, saying, "Get thee behind Me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men." Mark 8:33
[**Please note the very next verse Mark 8:34]

Looking at the second portion of Scripture we see the setting to be when Jesus was “led by the Spirit into the wilderness, being full of the Holy Ghost, having returned from Jordon; Luke 4:1. It was here that the devil tempted Jesus.
And the devil, taking Him up into an high mountain, shewed unto Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
And the devil said unto Him, All this power will I give Thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
If Thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be Thine.

Let us note here that one of the ‘terms’ of taking up your cross and following Jesus is that one must deny oneself and basically everybody and thing dear to us. For the average honest person, the thought of gaining even a fraction of the world and it’s riches, in order to be able to have and do the things we would like to [no matter what they are and whatever reason we place with it] is quite a driving force and can often result in breakdown in relationships because we can be so intent on the things that we forget not only God but the value we have in others as well. We can deny this, ie we can deny that we would ever want such a thing as a slice of the world but in reality all we would be doing is be living in denial of the truth of the matter. We can and do at times rise above it or rationalise or even declare that we really put God first and believe it or not, we can do that. We can put God and Him alone as our goal, our possession to acquire in full, our completeness and our contentment, our confidence, our desire, our one desire. But, sadly we also have the flesh trying to urge us back into the old deadways and tempting us to succumb, even if only for ‘good’ and ‘decent’ and ‘responsible’ reasons, of course.

But let us move on now to the second portion we are looking at, again as with the first, Jesus responds:
And Jesus answered and said unto him, "Get thee behind Me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve." Luke 4:8

Let us look at these two verses again, together :

But when He had turned about and looked on His disciples, He rebuked Peter, saying, "Get thee behind Me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men."
And Jesus answered and said unto him (the devil), "Get thee behind Me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve."

Narrowing them down a bit more Jesus said:

"Get thee behind Me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men."
"Get thee behind Me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve."

And again, we should not ignore the importance of the first part, Get behind Me, Satan:” nor “for it is written,” [does anyone know why in both instances ‘Satan’ is followed by a colon :?] but if we now place the two remaining parts side by side we have:

for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men;
thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve.

It is interesting to note, while looking at the account of the temptation in the wildreness, the next temptation is

And he brought Him to Jerusalem, and set Him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto Him, If Thou be the Son of God, cast Thyself down from hence: for it is written, He shall give His angels charge over Thee, to keep Thee: and in their hands they shall bear Thee up, lest at any time Thou dash Thy foot against a stone.
And Jesus answering said unto him, "It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God."

And then, we read that, following this, after Jesus read from the book of Esaias (Isaiah) on the Sabbath day in the synagogue, He said, "This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears." and all bare Him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph’s son? After which, having said some more, prophesying to them, all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath, and rose up, and thrust Him out of the city, and led Him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong.!!!! [I couldn't leave that bit out!]
But, we read, "but He passing through the midst of them…. went His way." [Praise the Lord!]

So, refreshing,

for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men;
thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve.

What does it mean to follow? To take up your cross and follow Jesus?

Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord. Psalm 150:6
[which happens to be the last verse of the Psalms, almost the end of the matter.

Bless you ….><>

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Matthew 6:19-20;24;33

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart;
and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge Him,
and He shall direct thy paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Praise ye the Lord!

**Note: did you look up Mark 8:34 ?
And when He had called the people unto Him with His disciples also, He said unto them, "Whosoever will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."
"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for My sake and the gospel’s, the same shall save it."
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
"Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?"
Mark 8:34-37

Extra note:
Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into His rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Hebrews 4:1-2