• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Names Jesus is Identified by.

Active
Saw God's Not Dead2 last night on dvd.

I liked it! Although..I'm just not sure about the Newsboys song. Why do they sing God is roaring like a lion...I thought the Bible says the devil was like a lion. ?!

Staff Member
Saw God's Not Dead2 last night on dvd.

I liked it! Although..I'm just not sure about the Newsboys song. Why do they sing God is roaring like a lion...I thought the Bible says the devil was like a lion. ?!

I think they used that phrase, because Jesus is also called the Lion of Judah. Revelation 5:5

Active
I think they used that phrase, because Jesus is also called the Lion of Judah. Revelation 5:5
Actually sooo many people misread revelation that its become like a christian urban legend that Jesus is the lion of Judah. He isnt. He is the Lamb of God.

I get so annoyed when people wrongly claim Jesus is a lion and ESPECIALLY when CS Lewis promoted the idea in his Narnia books.

I really pray people wont continue this lie..Ive had to tell pastors(who should know better!) that they are wrong when they teach this and to really look and read the entire chapter of Revelation and not just pick on that one verse.

Loyal
Actually sooo many people misread revelation that its become like a christian urban legend that Jesus is the lion of Judah. He isnt. He is the Lamb of God.

I get so annoyed when people wrongly claim Jesus is a lion and ESPECIALLY when CS Lewis promoted the idea in his Narnia books.

I really pray people wont continue this lie..Ive had to tell pastors(who should know better!) that they are wrong when they teach this and to really look and read the entire chapter of Revelation and not just pick on that one verse.

So, Dear one, who does this verse refer to?

Revelation 5King James Version (KJV)
5 And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.

2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?

3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.

4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.

5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.

6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.

Revelation 5:1-7 (CJB)
5 Next I saw in the right hand of the One sitting on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals; 2 and I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to open the scroll and break its seals?” 3 But no one in heaven, on earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll or look inside it. 4 I cried and cried, because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or look inside it. 5 One of the elders said to me, “Don’t cry. Look, the Lion of the tribe of Y’hudah, the Root of David, has won the right to open the scroll and its seven seals.”

6 Then I saw standing there with the throne and the four living beings, in the circle of the elders, a Lamb that appeared to have been slaughtered. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the sevenfold Spirit of God sent out into all the earth. 7 He came and took the scroll out of the right hand of the One sitting on the throne.

Active
The lamb is the worthy one, not the lion is just one of the beasts around the throne that has tried to open the book.

The lamb had been slaughtered but it the only worthy one, not the lion. Jesus was sacrificed by the lion (judah) remember it was the tribe of judah that killed its own..all the Kings before jesus were from the tribe of Judah but Jesus lineage was from both Israel and Judah and only He can claim the throne.

Good try lion, but no cigar. Go Lamb!!

Loyal
The lamb is the worthy one, not the lion is just one of the beasts around the throne that has tried to open the book.

The lamb had been slaughtered but it the only worthy one, not the lion. Jesus was sacrificed by the lion (judah) remember it was the tribe of judah that killed its own..all the Kings before jesus were from the tribe of Judah but Jesus lineage was from both Israel and Judah and only He can claim the throne.

Good try lion, but no cigar. Go Lamb!!

5 One of the elders said to me, “Don’t cry. Look, the Lion of the tribe of Y’hudah, the Root of David, has won the right to open the scroll and its seven seals.”

Active
You only quote ONE verse read entire chapter please. Good Lord, open peoples eyes.

I was watching a planet earth documentary and you know what lions do..KILL!
And eat elephants, and also people! In africa even today they have to live with lions killing people.thry are not benign creatures they are PREDATORS!

Either you had too much CS lewis, or Disney has rotted everyones brains portraying lions as cute furrry creatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Member

Hello Lanolin,

I hope this additional verse and my words help in attaining some perspective of the use of one of the many titles for Jesus.

Judah [is] a lion's whelp; From the prey, my son, you have gone up. He bows down, he lies down as a lion; And as a lion, who shall rouse him? The scepter shall not depart from Judah, Nor a lawgiver from between his feet, Until Shiloh comes; And to Him [shall be] the obedience of the people. Genesis 49:9-10

But one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep. Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals." Revelation 5:5

We understand that the lineage of Jesus is David who was of the Tribe of Judah. This is why is is not wrong to identify Jesus is identified in Revelation 5:5, as the Lion of Judah for the Tribe of Judah was identified as a Lion.

Always with the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Active
Actually it is the lamb of God who was slain..who is the only one worthy to take the scroll.

Read chApter 5 ten times if you have to.

I repeat it is the lamb of God who is Jesus, not the lion.

Yes they thought It had to be a king(lion) from the line of Judah..but it wasnt. Rev 5:7

Takes it right out if the hands of the lion.

Lamb lamb lamb lamb...how many times revelation mentions the LAMB OF GOD.
There is NO lion of God.

At least two dozen times...i cant believe people miss that nd still think Jesus is meant to be a lion. Uh, NO!

I would go with a highlighter through the bible and highlight everytime a lamb is mentioned and maybe do. Word study and go to a farm and observe the sheep there and how they behave.

Then I would contrast that by going to africa and exposing myself to some lions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Member
@Lanolin
And I can't believe one can be so obstinate! :)

Sister, disputing His lineage serves no one.

You might want to make a list of the different names given to our Lord throughout scripture.
Just to start you off...........
For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

Happy listing sister!

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Active
Lets go through the book of revelation and elsewhere in the bible and count all the references to lamb and compare that with references to lions. I challenge you. Where are these...the firsr I've done for you,

And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals... rev 6:2

Twenty four elders fell down before the lamb

Worthy is the lamb!

Lamb of God

Behold the lamb of God who takea away the sin of the world!

The twelve apostles of the !amb

The lambs wife

Lambs book of life

Marriage supper of the lamb

Throne of God and the lamb

Firstfruits unto God and the Lamb

Lamb slain from the foundation of the world

Feed my sheep

Feed my lambs

Staff Member
Lets go through the book of revelation and elsewhere in the bible and count all the references to lamb and compare that with references to lions. I challenge you. Where are these...the firsr I've done for you,

And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals... rev 6:2

Twenty four elders fell down before the lamb

Worthy is the lamb!

Lamb of God

Behold the lamb of God who takea away the sin of the world!

The twelve apostles of the !amb

The lambs wife

Lambs book of life

Marriage supper of the lamb

Throne of God and the lamb

Firstfruits unto God and the Lamb

Lamb slain from the foundation of the world

Feed my sheep

Feed my lambs

It's not a competition Dear Sister.

Just in my devotional today from Isaiah 9:6 it reads For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Notice the names given to our Lord in just this one verse of Isaiah!

"Wonderful" Alleluia! Isn't he Wonderful my dear sister?
"Counselor" Glad for this! When needing someone to talk to, to help. Who do we turn to?
"The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." Awesome! Alleluia!

I can't say why you're stuck on just "The Lamb", for our Lord, our Savior, because He is identified in Scripture and given many names. Not just any god names like the other false god's mentioned in Scripture.

Think of it as names His identity. Just like you are a Child of the Most High, but also My Sister in Christ Jesus, but those who are non-believers might just see you as Lanolin.

Grasp the entirety of who He is Dear Sister as each name speaks to an eternity of getting to know Him!

As I said before Dear Sister. This is not a competition, but only an acknowledging that, yes He is the Lamb of God, and so much more to us!

With the Love of Christ Jesus!
YBIC
Nick
<><

Active
@Psalm23Rick Thank-you brother for finding that article.
You are correct, but be warned!!!!!! ;) :)

YBIC
Nick
<><
Got questions I found is not always correct, it has a bias. One time I asked them a question about rock music and they said it was ok, but they couldnt explain why so many people used it for evil.

I know there are other names for our Lord and Saviour, but everyone calls him the Lamb of God in revelaton because He is the perfect sacrifice.

Lions eat lambs for dinner, and some people used to feed christians to the lions in romans day. But in the Bible, lions represent the devil on many occasions.

No it is not a competition but I see you cant be bothered taking up my challenge so it still stands.

Staff Member
Got questions I found is not always correct, it has a bias. One time I asked them a question about rock music and they said it was ok, but they couldnt explain why so many people used it for evil.

I know there are other names for our Lord and Saviour, but everyone calls him the Lamb of God in revelaton because He is the perfect sacrifice.

Lions eat lambs for dinner, and some people used to feed christians to the lions in romans day. But in the Bible, lions represent the devil on many occasions.

No it is not a competition but I see you cant be bothered taking up my challenge so it still stands.

Love you little sister.
I repeat. I've never seen the study of Scripture as a competition.
Now you challenge me? :)

Thank-you. Believe it or not you have brought to me a smile this morning.

If the greatest of our issues becomes how Jesus is identified in Scripture, i.e. Lamb, Lion of Judea, Son of God, Wonderful, Counselor, and so many more. I count our discussion a Joy!

As far as the link the brother shared and the contents found there. Judge the content and pray for the messenger sister. For if we were to look at the messenger only. We'd all would fail on that account. So, take a look at the Scripture used and address that.

With the Love of Christ Jesus Sister.
YBIC
Nick
<><

One thing I was reminded of by the Holy Spirit IMHO, was John 21:25 (ISV) "Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written."

The thought here is that there are many things not specifically outlined or even found in the scriptures but they are real. I was listening to a christian podcast yesterday and this was even touch upon there -- they took it perhaps to an extreme by saying that you won't find references to microwave ovens but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. lol

I will say that for myself, I've seen the lion of the tribe of Judah depicted in cloud form this past May as part of a multi-day faith training seminar I participated in -- right over the church we were in. The eye, the muzzle... The eye was incredibly detailed. Some people took photos of it, but I didn't have my camera at that time. There's more to the story but suffice it to say it was a sign for all those attending.

Staff Member

On the way to work the Lord reminded to give credit where credit is due. Not just in this thread, but in others. I do believe this is the first time Sister that you've come close to acknowledging that our Lord also goes by the Lion of Judea!!! Bless you Sister and thank-you Lord for reminding me of the above!

Blessings even in the small things!! :)

YBIC
Nick
<><

Staff Member
One thing I was reminded of by the Holy Spirit IMHO, was John 21:25 (ISV) "Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written."

The thought here is that there are many things not specifically outlined or even found in the scriptures but they are real. I was listening to a christian podcast yesterday and this was even touch upon there -- they took it perhaps to an extreme by saying that you won't find references to microwave ovens but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. lol

I will say that for myself, I've seen the lion of the tribe of Judah depicted in cloud form this past May as part of a multi-day faith training seminar I participated in -- right over the church we were in. The eye, the muzzle... The eye was incredibly detailed. Some people took photos of it, but I didn't have my camera at that time. There's more to the story but suffice it to say it was a sign for all those attending.

Good scripture brother!

That is one scripture that I'd almost desire had happened! It would push the books that don't provide value for growing in our Lord or His Word right off the shelves :)

Then again it would probably just give Christians more to argue about! ;) LOL

Thanks also for your story. I can picture folks just looking up at the sky. Makes me think how really amazing it will be when our Lord returns and all can see Him!

BEHOLD, HE IS COMING WITH THE CLOUDS, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. So it is to be. Amen. Revelation 1:7

YBIC
Nick
<><

Here's a word I found from Bobby Conner -- I've met this man and even driven him to the airport to hear some of his amazing testimony.. Anyway, take this however you wish -- believe or not. I believe! Click here to read it... Enjoy!