• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

My name is Pride

Active
My name is Pride.

I am a cheater.
I cheat you of your God-given destiny...because
you demand your own way.
I cheat you of contentment...because you
"deserve better than this."

I cheat you of knowledge...because you already
know it all.

I cheat you of healing...because you're
too full of me to forgive.

I cheat you of holiness...because you refuse to
admit when you're wrong.

I cheat you of vision...because you'd rather look
in the mirror than out a window.

I cheat you of a genuine friendship...because
nobody's going to know the real you.

I cheat you of love...because real romance
demands sacrifice.

I cheat you of greatness in heaven...because you
refuse to wash another's feet on earth.

I cheat you of God's glory...because I convince
you to seek your own.

My name is Pride. I am a cheater.

You like me because you think I'm always looking out for you.
Untrue. I'm looking to make a fool of you.
God has so much for you, I admit, but don't worry...
If you stick with me
You'll never know.

Taken from Beth Moore Praying God's Word,

Last edited:
Active
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience" (Col. 3:12).

Ann

This is a very significant message and an eye opener.

If we know the result of our behaviour or actions it will motivate us to pray about it and to fight against it in Jesus Name. In this case the results is not worth the effort and must be avoided at all cost.

We don't always realize that we are full of pride, for example being impatient is a sign of pride and I caught myself being impatient a lot lately.

I learned a big lesson from this post, Thanks.

Wow rizen1, that's a very since poem.
I must admit I'm prideful and stubborn, it gets the best of me too many times over and over again, I only have to remind myself that I'm a nobody, I'm only fungus then I'm happy again:love:

Thank you sweety.

Wow, I have been or still am guilty of all the above, this one hit home, thank you for this, will be printing it out and carrying in my bible.

Ronna

Amen. Pride was the root of the very first sin as Satan wanted to exalt himself above God. It is however just one more branch on the tree of rotten fruit (the flesh) and the Lord wants us to bring it where it belongs- the cross.

This is EXACTLY what I needed; I catch myself all day thinking snide thoughts about everyone else, how they're 'stupid' or 'annoying' or what have you...it feels awful. What right do I have to think this way?

I think I will print this and carry it with me. Thank you.

The kind of pride that God hates arises from our own self-righteousness
I think we all has believers need do has John said. I must decrease but He must increase.

I see nothing wrong in having some sort of pride in one's achievements, as long as one doesn't go overboard. As I don't believe any deity exists I think all humans have achieved are down to them alone.

Staff Member
Greetings,

how do you measure going overboard?
One could agree with your principal but differ entirely on measure. All might differ for as many different reasons, and then what?
Come to think about it
what and when and where and why do you (or anyone) begin to measure out merit?
From birth perhaps, which, like our parents and socio-cultural circumstances of which it was and is impossible for any of us to have a say in, or the number of times we didn't die or become severely retarded or messed up beyond help (humanly speaking), must needs qualify some level of tax on what ruefully we claim as our own achievements?
Truly such measure makes mockery of the concept itself. Why should pride be contained? That makes no sense but to those who perhaps prefer smugness.

Perhaps it is merely ones definition and preconceived self siuiting bent that you refer to?
Or can everyone somehow spontaneously come up with a universally agreed understanding to measure both concept and tolerance of/acceptable measure of pride?

Pride comes before a fall
pride goeth before destruction
Proverbs 16:18

Best to choose pride free milk in your coffee and tea.

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
Greetings,

excuse my ignorance, but what is POV?
And, if I may, who gives entitlement and how is that measured and judged and applied?

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
@JJ50 .. if you don't believe in a deity why are you here? If you aren't here to "talkJesus" why are you here? If there is no God why does it matter to you what we believe?

None of us are visiting "talkAtheist" and trying to change your beliefs.
Why are you offended by those who believe in Jesus?

Loyal
Greetings,

excuse my ignorance, but what is POV?
And, if I may, who gives entitlement and how is that measured and judged and applied?

Bless you ....><>
POV means point of view. And he wont answer your other question, because he has no good answer, and since he doesnt want to feel like he has lost any ground in his rebellious arguement against biblical christianity and his belief that its evil, he would rather just make whatever you say, as your own pov, attempting to lessen its value.

Staff Member
Greetings,

putting things into perspective.

Colossians 1:1017 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness; Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: 13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him: And He is before all things, and by Him all things consist.

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
When I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which Thou hast ordained;
What is man, that Thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that Thou visitest him?

Psalm 8:3-4

But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
Galatians 6:14